• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Shadow Announced (VR)

Wonko_C

As a quest 3 owner this makes me happy.
It does suck for people with quest 2 who can't upgrade or can't justify it at the moment.
The reality is that the quest platform needs to change the perception that it's just "crappy mobile graphics" and I think this will help as focus shifts to the quest 3.
VR is great, I just wish I had more energy at the end of the day. My biggest use is body combat at the moment, absolute game changer for my cardio fitness.
As a Quest 2-only owner, I'm happy Meta is actively tackling the chicken and egg problem VR suffers by being the biggest damn chicken they can be. I can't afford a Quest 3 to play this game, but I'll be right there when Quest 4 comes out.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Quest 2 started getting Quest 2 exclusives around the same timeframe. It was slightly different in that the Quest 2 already had a fast growing number of users.

As someone with a Quest 3, I think having a couple of Quest 3 only exclusives will be good in seeing what our new devices can actually do. I feel like the potential is held back a bit by Quest 2. Kind of the same way the Quest 1 held back Quest 2 games.

Quest 2 launched at $299. Quest 3 is $499. The adoption of Quest 3 will be much slower.

I totally get where you’re coming from though. I just think Meta’s making a mistake in locking out Quest 2, when it’s still outselling Quest 3.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Maybe I should just pick up a fucking quest at some point
GMlxXegaYAAVDyi

Romulus

I just think Meta’s making a mistake in locking out Quest 2, when it’s still outselling Quest 3.

It could be they couldn't accomplish the vision on Quest 2. Might be the case where Quest 3 is just barely enough juice to pull this off without tremendous downgrades. We've only seen Quest 3 updates at this point to Quest 2 games, so it'll be at least interesting to see what Quest 3 can do without an anchor attached.

CamHostage

Quest 2 launched at $299. Quest 3 is $499. The adoption of Quest 3 will be much slower.

I totally get where you’re coming from though. I just think Meta’s making a mistake in locking out Quest 2, when it’s still outselling Quest 3.

Quest 2 was the right product at the right time at the right price point; a perfect gift for a lot of different consumer types, especially in that COVID Christmas.

Quest 3 doesn't have that advantage or price point (and Quest 2 keeps chopping off more off... it's still a f***ing amazing buy, and it's got over 600 games to choose from, with more added every day; Homeworld: Vast Reaches just released today, BTW,) but it is the device that dedicated VR gamers are using (or plan on using when they can afford it,) and that's the difference that developers are focusing on when considering whether to stay 2/3 cross-gen or go exclusive to 3. Lots of those Quests sold to hobbyists or fitness players, and those people are not buying new software and they're not demanding upgrades.

When you're making a high-end Batman or Alien or other franchise game, you look at who's likely to buy. (You also look at the hardware capabilities; cross-gen on console this gen has been viable for a long time because there are lots of fallback and porting techniques to support high and low platform lines if sales hold up, but Quest 3 and especially UE5 may make downscaling too difficult to be worth it.) A lot of those buyers are looking for the best experience possible in VR in this product line. It's a risk, but a calculated risk.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Yeah I also think it's a calculated risk. If batman is wildly successful I'd imagine they would want to encourage as many people to upgrade to the 3 so it would justify more graphically impressive games. This may help convince more people that it's a serious device and not a crappy mobile phone strapped to your face (it's not, but some people rip on it this way)

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's a pretty fantastic device with a nice library of games at this point.
The library really is great, and side loading the Quest Game Optimizer really does a great job at making games look better.

Beat Sabers resolution is comically low, even on Quest 3, but with the Optimizer app, it looks clean and crisp.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Oculus Studios has a history of pushing for big, full-budget VR games in order to sell the medium -- with more of a long-term view in mind rather than worrying about current install base.

Lone Echo is an example of this. There's no way that the actual sales numbers on the Rift justified that large of a polished, fully voice acted, extremely well produced VR game. But Oculus funded it with the clear aim of selling the potential of their platform/hardware.

For what it's worth if the trailer is referencing ratcatcher and it probably is, he was stated to be dead circa Arkham City iirc, so chance are this is a midquel between the first and second games.

What I gotta know is if I buy a Quest 3, can I finally play Half-Life Alyx with it?

KXVXII9X

Absolutely. The Quest 2 is at a really competitive price and has a lot of users. With that said, I think it would be wise just to release a few Quest 3 exclusives here and there just for people to see the power of the Quest 3 and see that there is a positive direction for VR. I think it would be a nice win/win if they also made a PCVR version of the Quest 3 exclusive games so Quest 2 users and other VR headsets could play too, leaving Quest 3 the only place to play natively. It would still give the incentive to buy a Quest 3 while allowing others the ability to play said games.

The VR hate is so weird. Like there's no future where we're not staring at flat screens with keyboard, mouse, and controllers as input devices? Seems so short sighted to actively shit on it.

The VR hate is just a cope for people who can't afford it. Same mentality that causes people to shit on raytracing or say there's no difference between 4K and 1080p.

Just sad, bitter luddites who want to halt progress so everyone else can be as miserable as they are

Romulus

it is weird Playstation, Steam, and Meta making their VR games sorta exclusive. Market is too small to be doing that.

But what's the strategy look like? Meta funded this via their own studio. They should just fund porting to all other devices too, which are in direct competition?

I get that VR is small, but there's also terrible business decisions too. The fact is, the game would have never existed without meta funding it.

Top Bottom