• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Shadow Announced (VR)

CamHostage

PSVR will get third party ports because it’s relatively cheap and easy to do so. This is just a moneyhat

Meta owns developer Camoflaj. It's not a moneyhat; it's their homegrown product.

Meta has not been porting its games to PlayStation, or for that matter PC unfortunately (and aside from Beat Saber it has, as far as I know, not allowed its studios to re-publish or upgrade existing products outside of the Meta ecosystem.) It is unlikely that PSVR will get this as a third-party port, same as Meta Horizon Worlds or Asgard's Wrath or Lone Echo or even Insomniac's Stormland/Edge of Nowhere/The Unspoken/Feral Rites or other Oculus Studios/FB games have never been on PlayStation VR.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nope, but anything without pancake lenses isn't high end VR either if you ask me, regardless of what's powering it.
In this regard I have the same view when it comes to controllers. VR without the haptics and adaptive triggers is lame in comparison.

CamHostage

Studio Director Ryan Payton blogged a bit about Batman: Arkham Shadow:

Ryan Payton said:
Collaborating closely with WB Interactive Entertainment and DC Comics, we aim to deliver nothing else than an authentic new entry in the celebrated Arkham franchise, something that the series’ millions of fan know is no easy feat. The prospect of adding a new chapter to such a storied franchise is exhilarating. (And it’s been a lot of fun.) We're committed to building upon the beloved foundation laid by the legendary team at Rocksteady, and driven to do it justice.

From the start, Batman: Arkham Shadow has been crafted to be the ultimate VR game and take full advantage of Meta Quest 3. We're leaning heavily into our eight years (!) of dedicated VR game development history to create a distinctly Arkham-feeling game that leverages the immersive magic only VR can provide.

Romulus

In this regard I have the same view when it comes to controllers. VR without the haptics and adaptive triggers is lame in comparison.

I like it, but it ends up not being utilized well in most games anyway for me or I don't even notice it. Whereas the lenses are just a thing regardless.

CamHostage

Nope, but anything without pancake lenses isn't high end VR either if you ask me, regardless of what's powering it.

I guess it's hard to reverse course once you've used some premium VR features, but it doesn't really need much discussion here. Meta Quest 3 is what it is, and whatever software is produced for the platform could conceivably work with a Meta Quest Pro "3" follow-up to the previous Pro (assuming there's a new crowd of spenders willing to part with $1000+ for another high-end VR device which might still only last 2 years of new software support.)

Games like Batman: Arkham Shadow and Alien: Rogue Incursion need to be made and elevate the platform before possibilities of another Meta pancake-lens-equipped VR device can be considered.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I just can't get excited about VR at all. I wish I could but its hard because when you see a trailer for something its always exclusive for one device.

Last edited:

Skifi28

This was so exciting until I saw it was VR only at the end.

"It's ok, there's still suicide squad."

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
exclusively for Meta Quest
I never thought I could be happy for a game and dead at the same time once the end of a sentence reached.
Ded Teletubbie GIF by MOODMAN

Please die Fessesbook.

Techies

Would be interesting to see what they are going to do, but after UEVR on pc, seeing the level of graphical fidelity that could be achieved, it's become harder to become excited for native VR games on Quest3.

Even if they play well, they will most likely look a bit mediocre.

hyperbertha

The VR hate is so weird. Like there's no future where we're not staring at flat screens with keyboard, mouse, and controllers as input devices? Seems so short sighted to actively shit on it.
It's not that. This is not the full on AAA Arkham title people want. Vr isnt there. Unless you're just playing dumb.

Three

Going by the trailers, we saw tons of rats. I googled “Batman villain rats” and Ratcatcher popped up. I’m not too familiar with him.

Ratcatcher-Batman-Robin-DC-Comics-h1.jpg
I just hope the gameplay isn't chucking a batarang at glowing rats like wack a mole. The trailer was pre-rendered nonsense that didn't show much.

StueyDuck

Banned
interesting that it's camouflaj and not rocksteady considering they do have the pipeline to develop a vr game internally.

but after Suicide squad that's probably a good thing. Og arkham vr was a fun time albeit a sort of tech demo.

CamHostage

It's not that. This is not the full on AAA Arkham title people want. Vr isnt there. Unless you're just playing dumb.

...And the headline "Batman: Arkham Shadow Announced (VR)" or the information that this is to be produced and published by Meta (or the fact that this was announced on a Tuesday outside of any other promotion) didn't hint at all to them before they had this wave of emotions hit them that this wasn't going to be the full on AAA Arkham title they're wanting?

This BTW is the second Arkham game made in VR (and the last entry in the series was a VR game, outside of re-issues.) There's as many mobile Arkham games as there are 'proper' entries from Rocksteady. The series exists outside of AAA and has existed that way from pretty early on. And for better or worse, Rocksteady is fully committed right now to Suicide Squad support. Also, Batman kind of got retired in the last mainline game, it was kind of the point of that game's plot that it was reaching for an ending.

I don't know what to tell you, it would have been nice to see a new mainline game too, but idea that people saw the words "Arkham" on a random GAF thread and immediately leapt to thinking, "Ooh, a new game for my game box, yay!" is kind of baffling.

Last edited:

Three

What's the sensible business strategy then? What reason is there for Meta to fund PSVR2/PCVR/Pico ports?
None really, they went on this buying spree buying these studios and it is what it is. They've spent a lot of money and took heavy losses to try to grow VR. That's commendable I guess. Their strategy now is to try and entice other headset makers to yield to Quest OS and their store/meta accounts to access this content. Become the Android of the VR world. Maybe that will happen soon.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
interesting that it's camouflaj and not rocksteady considering they do have the pipeline to develop a vr game internally.

but after Suicide squad that's probably a good thing. Og arkham vr was a fun time albeit a sort of tech demo.

Rocksteady doesn’t care much for VR. The previous title is essentially a cash-grab by slapping VR to Batman Arkham to help sell PSVR.

This new game is similar to Resident Evil 4 VR on Quest 2, where Capcom only provide the license for Armature Studios to create the VR port while Oculus Studios facilitate everything.

Here WB is providing the license for Camouflaj to make a new game while Oclus Studios facilitate everything.

kiphalfton

User bases do not promise sustained sales of software; lots of hardware gets shelved or neglected over time, or users find the games/apps they like early on and stick with them over buying new choices. New generations of hardware ignite new interest in the product line (ideally...) and it is important to get new products to that audience at a time when they are most interested in using their new hardware. It's the reason why there are often brand new franchises launched at the start of most console gens, whereas by the fifth year of the platform, even if the system is massively successful, you mostly see sequels. Attach rate stops increasing over time.

Quest 3 has got to make its move sometime. (This is especially so if UE5 features lead to new levels of VR dazzle but its hardware requirements leave Quest 2 behind.) And Quest 2 users still have their trusty game of Beat Saber

Sales are going to be affected no matter what.

If Quest 3 has 10% of the user base of Quest 2, and 50% of the Quest 3 user base buys the game... that's the same as 5% of the Quest 2 user base buying the game.

So which is more likely to amass more sales. Big user base or small user base? Both have potential to continue to grow, it's just the latter has more growth potential... but that doesn't guarantee it will sell more than the former. In which case they better hope they make up that difference in hardware sales. However, in the case of continued game sales and increased hardware sales, it better be a killer IP.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Someone mod this so you can play it on a Rift S.

I have not fully enjoyed my Rift S. So, I am not getting the latest Quest.

I already have two VR headsets. I am going to have to sell one if I get a new one.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hopefully they consider a PC version through their own store at least.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Someone mod this so you can play it on a Rift S.

I have not fully enjoyed my Rift S. So, I am not getting the latest Quest.

I already have two VR headsets. I am going to have to sell one if I get a new one.

Sell one then.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
This is confirmed to be the next official game in the Arkham franchise… until it sucks and gets retconned into its own weird pocket dimension or some dumb shit.

CamHostage

Sales are going to be affected no matter what.

If Quest 3 has 10% of the user base of Quest 2, and 50% of the Quest 3 user base buys the game... that's the same as 5% of the Quest 2 user base buying the game.

So which is more likely to amass more sales. Big user base or small user base?

Luckily for us, that math doesn't completely hold up in reality... otherwise, there would never be a new hardware cycles.

A big install base doesn't necessarily mean a big user base. Users are much more likely to be active on their brand new device than the one they got four Christmases ago.

For example, when the second Horizon game came out on PlayStation platforms, it was selling to both 18 mil PS5s as well as 115mil PS4s (approx). The previous game sold 24 mil copies, (more than all the PS5s in existence at the time,) so even considering huge swaths of dedicated PS fans had made a lateral move to leave PS4 behind for PS5, there would still be almost 100mil gamers with only PS4 in their homes, and a high number of Horizon 1 owners would still be on the past-gen console. Yet when game sales came through, indicators show a 67/33 split in favor of the smaller PS5 console install base. 100+mil PS4s collecting dust aren't worth as much as 15-20mil shined-up, fired-up PS5s.

Now, we don't know what the active user base and software split is for Quest (we barely know it for PS, those numbers are not made readily available aside from UK retail reports and some digital storefront snooping.) But Meta knows the split, and they can do the math as far as where to steer its development efforts. Meta could end up betting wrong, which would be catastrophic with killer IP like Batman and Alien (unless they can port down after the Quest 3 versions ship,) but if they're right, they'll be able to weather the shortfall of lost past-gen support with increased sales of hardware and increased buyer interest thanks to these new games showing off the added power.

I'd be bummed if I had spent $1500 on a Quest Pro (or might even be frustrated if I had just bought a Quest 2 on the recent price drop, even if $199 is a good deal and there's 600+ other software releases for it plus sideloaded and PC-streamed games to enjoy)... but shit, man, UE5 VR games in big franchises is a good thing for gamers. Let Meta worry about software sales.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This was on my YT feed, and the first comment was something like "wait tell everyone get disappointed".

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
BS and insults like this can only happen as long as WB is in game development business and owns the rights to DC.
Two complete shit full priced games nobody asked for in a row about superheroes after years and years of nothing is an accomplishment in itself, and then just to make it even worse...

Fuck WB! FUCK 'EM!:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:
That trailer certainly does not show how the game will be, like most teaser stuff pretty but useless. But exclusive for meta is just dumb. Sony has pretty much given up already anyway but Meta is losing money afaik too. Both should just cooperate and also get Valve and anyone else that matters on board. Bethesda was interested before they got bought, might also be possible that some deal can be made to bring Doom (+Deathloop +Ghostwire +Starfield and further more Halo, Perfect Dark etc would be nice too) again to VR. Properly compete with your products and when it gets off the ground, then build the usual walled gardens and indulge in "me me me".
Most probably it could and should also be a VR-Too game and not display type exclusive.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Complain that VR has no games, and then complain that a game is made for VR.

Good on Meta to fund new game development, although I feel they’re foolish to be leaving Quest 2 users out in the cold. You’re not going to grow VR if you shut out the majority of VR owners.

Look at the crazy long time consoles stay cross platform. Meta should be doing the same.

Hot5pur

As a quest 3 owner this makes me happy.
It does suck for people with quest 2 who can't upgrade or can't justify it at the moment.
The reality is that the quest platform needs to change the perception that it's just "crappy mobile graphics" and I think this will help as focus shifts to the quest 3.
VR is great, I just wish I had more energy at the end of the day. My biggest use is body combat at the moment, absolute game changer for my cardio fitness.

trikster40

I don’t mind exclusives, and since Meta is pretty much funding it, I get it.

But yeah, not helping VR market grow. Too expensive to own multiple headsets. Grow the base first, then you can go after the players.

This isn’t going to entice anyone who doesn’t have a headset to dive in. If every VR game was available on every headset, a lot more people would own one and play more often.

KXVXII9X

Complain that VR has no games, and then complain that a game is made for VR.

Good on Meta to fund new game development, although I feel they’re foolish to be leaving Quest 2 users out in the cold. You’re not going to grow VR if you shut out the majority of VR owners.

Look at the crazy long time consoles stay cross platform. Meta should be doing the same.
The Quest 2 started getting Quest 2 exclusives around the same timeframe. It was slightly different in that the Quest 2 already had a fast growing number of users.

As someone with a Quest 3, I think having a couple of Quest 3 only exclusives will be good in seeing what our new devices can actually do. I feel like the potential is held back a bit by Quest 2. Kind of the same way the Quest 1 held back Quest 2 games.

Top Bottom