• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best TV intro of all time?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Technically it was planned for a movie, but it got canned and shown on TV. So it counts IMO! Turns out, it wasnt released in theatres since Transformers Movie did bad so they balked. I remember seeing this on Buffalo29 as a two hour block on a weekend. I forget if it was Saturday or Sunday, but it was I think it was shown 5:00 to 7:00 pm.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Fuck, beaten. Loved how it would adjust based on events in the show. The one season with the kaleidoscope effects in the intro was confusing until a significant plot moment late into the season, and then it’s like “ohhhh”. The final season‘s version of the intro hits even harder, a culmination of a man who spent his whole life deflecting blame and avoiding lasting consequences having to face all the fuck-ups he made. Incredible show.

Audiophile

Six Feet Under

I'm kinda biased as it's my favourite show of all time and I love Thomas Newman's work:

Season 1-2 in 4:3

Season 5 in 16:9 (with extra sound cue @ 1:21)

But, it just gets me right in the feels. Cheery, playful music with perfectly timed cues in contrast to the stark, morbid imagery. Even the white fade into the death of the week and the subsequent Name/D.O.B-D.O.D in black text on a white background with the accompanying little sound idents. It just works.

Even though I watched the show a long, long time after the original airing (I was 10 when it started airing here). I have faint memories of it being around and -- I think -- coming on the tele. It's whole presentation paired with Newman's trademark sound it gives me heavy nostalgia, transporting me back to the early 2000s.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Always loved how it was mainly timed just after some major fuck up or accident so it cutting to that part of Teardrop sounded like a slow ambulance siren and the visuals timed to it and shifting between the backdrops and old medical book images.

I'm in the UK and I only found out much later that House had Teardrop as its US intro much later.

This is the version I watched the show with when it broadcast here (strangely it's listed as the Singaporean intro, but it'd definitely the one we had originally):

Even though I absolutely love Teardrop and it totally works, my brain is basically hardwired at this point to only accept the UK/Singapore one even though it's more generic.

The rest of Europe got this bland thing:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I also think the Twin Peaks intro is glorious.

This thread is, however:

Do you remember this 90s (or older) tv intro?

And the resultant

"Oh God, I feel alive"

Top Bottom