• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Option 3: Blaze the trails for the next evolution in console gaming by combining the handheld and console into one device. The controller is a handheld/tablet/dual touch screen whatever but it can connect wireless and stream to your tv like a console effortlessly. Have a small device or box the connects to your HDMI, maybe have a HDD installed but its main purpose is to be sort of a wireless docking or home station for your handheld console.

I feel you can do 3 with 2 since you're targeting the same price point, internal hardware, and set of developers.

kinggroin

Banned
There's no way to spin this in any light that makes Nintendo look better off without them or ANY third party. It fucking sucks NOT to have Bethesda on Ninty platforms.

MYE

I wish you didnt name the developer on the title. I wanted to try and guess who said this.
I would have been right

Trickster

d[-_-]b;79651509 said:
Lol you're mad my friend it's okay, I stated my opinion and you turned into some ragefest that it isn't but go on, keep telling yourself that you're right. As you can see we can have a civilized discussion, but anyone on the flip side has been transformed by you into an angry and deranged it seems.

So far your version of a civilized discussion have consisted of trying to call me out for being mad, by essentially using "u mad" as a defensive argument, and telling Bethesda to keep their mediocre games. Completely ignoring what Bethesda actually said.

18-Volt

And having PC like architecture isn't really such a bad thing, as Intel/AMD have been more serious about the low-power segment than IBM.

I have nothing against the architecture, it's the PC oriented genres that I don't like. People saying "the times have changed, it's all about stuff like Fallout, Diablo, Mass Effect, Skyrim and MMO's". This is what I'm against. No, I actually play those games, even although I don't like to, but I'm agaisnt them invading the console scene. I don't want the "times" to change and kill the genres make consoles what they are; Platformers, button mashers, fun and colorful stuff. But times really have changed, Sony's best studios ditched colorful platformers, hardly any good J-RPG comes for HD consoles (only 3 this year?) and nobody knows what the hell happened to Rare. I really wish they haven't...

I have nothing against the architecture, it's the PC oriented genres that I don't like. People saying "the times have changed, it's all about stuff like Fallout, Diablo, Mass Effect, Skyrim and MMO's". This is what I'm against. No, I actually play those games, even although I don't like to, but I'm agaisnt them invading the console scene. I don't want the "times" to change and kill the genres make consoles what they are; Platformers, button mashers, fun and colorful stuff. But times really have changed, Sony's best studios ditched colorful platformers, hardly any good J-RPG comes for HD consoles (only 3 this year?) and nobody knows what the hell happened to Rare. I really wish they haven't...

And somehow having Bethseda on Wii U would change the existing library? There are games of EVERY type everywhere now. Harping about the lack of variety in this day and age is completely stupid. The idea is to have well rounded libraries. Where you could get games of every type. Sony, MS and the PC offer much more of that than Nintendo does.

I fear for the future of WiiU come Summer 2014. They will have released NSMB, 3D Mario World, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Zelda and an exclusive Lego / Sonic / Monster Hunter and Platinum Games title. I can't see sales being anything over 10 million by that point assuming they shift 4 million more consoles by the end of this financial year and then another 2 or 3 million for the inevitable MK8 bundle, where the hell do they go from there with only Smash and the new Zelda to come in late 2014 / late 2015 ?...

Trike

haha so much salt in this thread

I think Nintendo can still turn around the ship somewhat with 3rd party support on the wiiu but it's going to be a tough task. Under powered hardware with horrid third party software sales are not going to convince these third parties otherwise. Nintendo needs to be more pro-active about this

I don't think you read past the first sentence.

Regardless, I don't think having a console on par with PS4/XB1/PS5/XB-1, as others have suggested, would help them right now or in future. I think many developers are just straight up done with Nintendo because they don't think their titles will sell on their system. So if they do release a powerful system on par with the next gen systems, or even above them, I still don't see many new devs jumping on board unless Nintendo moneyhats them. I mean, even now there could still easily be 360/PS3/PC ports for the Wii U, but most devs don't do that. The necessity of needing to do something with the gamepad is also a problem. It's not like we say tons of developers going out of their way to add extra Kinect/Move controls.

With Bethesda, them not supporting the Wii U doesn't really affect my purchasing habits. Maybe Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 4 would be neat on the Wii U, but chances are no console version is going to surpass the PC version anyway. Sucks for Wii U owners who only own Nintendo systems. But it is not like they have been playing Bethesda games on Nintendo systems a lot before. Unless you count the shitty licensed/sports games they published for the Wii, DS, and NES.

Sentenza

You are not really making your position sound any less crazy.

I fear for the future of WiiU come Summer 2014. They will have released NSMB, 3D Mario World, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Zelda and an exclusive Lego / Sonic / Monster Hunter and Platinum Games title. I can't see sales being anything over 10 million by that point assuming they shift 4 million more consoles by the end of this financial year and then another 2 or 3 million for the inevitable MK8 bundle, where the hell do they go from there with only Smash and the new Zelda to come in late 2014 / late 2015 ?...

Smash, X, Bayonetta, SMTxFE. Probably a Zelda by 2015, there will be games, and Retro will be working on something new too.

I don't care about Bethesda, but having 3rd Party support would be nice, I wouldn't buy their games but I'm sure others would. Right now it's Nintendo + Platinum + Sega + whatever Ubisoft releases.

d[-_-]b

Banned
So far your version of a civilized discussion have consisted of trying to call me out for being mad, using "u mad" as a defensive argument, and telling Bethesda to keep their mediocre games. Completely ignoring what Bethesda actually said.

So let me understand this my friend, you weren't posting on topic yet you go on about ignoring what Bethesda said?
The fact that you seem mad at bethesda for making this statement, and are telling them to keep their mediocre games.
Can you guess who started saying someone is mad?

Bethesda, serious question can you name the last game Bethesda developed/published for a Nintendo console? As a publisher that had no interest in publishing on the Wii U, I find it hard to take their opinion as seriously.

Kouriozan

True, but apparently Nintendo did the same, remember that "EA unprecedent partnership".
But "it's Nintendo", we know that their 3rd party relationship is disastrous.

d[-_-]b;79653501 said:
As a publisher that had no interest in publishing on the Wii U, I find it hard to take their opinion as seriously.
Why would such a statement be made if there was no interest?

Denial is a hell of a drug.

Nintendo's attitude towards wooing developers and publishers is antiquated and they only have themselves to blame for the weak and waning interest.

Doesn't Nintendo QA every game they allow on their systems, third party or not to avoid embarassing day one patch and beyond situations? I think is this why that D&D game is pretty much never coming out for the Wii U either, as the guys Capcom outsourced broke the multiplayer.

I recall reading an article where an indie dev was using Nintendo's QA to bug test his own game, too.

Anyway, with that logic, nothing from Bethesda would ever make the cut anyway, so I suppose it works out.
You say this as if Nintendo's recent flagship Zelda titles haven't shipped with game-ending glitches, and they're not a tenth as complex as a game like Skyrim. Again, your attitude is like Nintendo's...sucky and self-defeating (speaking specifically to "I suppose it works out"--a facetious comment that is archetypal of the dwindling Nintendo faithful's head-in-sand mentality).

Yado

They are probably developing unannounced titles, they don't have any other choice really. Did you think they would just develop a wave of games for a year and just kick back?

Kacho

Nintendo really needs to get their shit straight if they want to compete in today's market. They're in need of a major corporate culture change.

d[-_-]b;79653501 said:
So let me understand this my friend, you weren't posting on topic yet you go on about ignoring what Bethesda said?

Can you guess who started saying someone is mad?

Bethesda, serious question can you name the last game Bethesda developed/published for a Nintendo console? As a publisher that had no interest in publishing on the Wii U, I find it hard to take their opinion as seriously.

"Bethesda" is not a single entity. This is the opinion of one guy, who happens to work at Bethesda, regarding third party relations on the Wii U. The fact that his company hasn't published any games on a Nintendo console in the past doesn't make his opinion somehow invalid. In that case why take anyone's opinion seriously? Should we only listen to publishers who love Nintendo and have published on Nintendo platforms for years? That same kind of insulated, head in the sand viewpoint is what got Nintendo in this mess in the first place.

Well, can't say I disagree; for Nintendo at this point it's about keeping up a persistent effort, even in the possibility of things potentially turning around for the console down the line.

To me, Nintendo has two options to try and get third party support for their home consoles.

1.) Build their next console to be a direct competitors to the Xbox 4 and PlayStation 5 on all levels including hardware power and control interface.
2.) Build their next console to be a $150-$200 box at launch built on high end mobile parts and try to recruit mobile/tablet/set top developers for support.

I feel option 2 makes a lot more sense given where they are in the market.

I would prefer option 1. Nintendo can introduce a console this mid gen, approximatly 4-5 years after the WiiU, but still 2-3 years before the PS5/XB4. A 3-4TFLOP console with 2x 3x the ram, GTX Titan performance( I know 1000 bucks right now but in 3-4 years it would be low budget stuff). Off the shelf parts, no gamepad or any gimmicks, just wiimote or controller, not much customization for just 299 dollars, I reckon Nintendo would not lose money on each unit sold. It would run future multiplats much better than PS4/XB1. The console would come out roughly around the time Skyrim/BF3(2011) came out this gen, imagine if the WiiU launched back then, without the gamepad, fully dedicated to high specs, and ran these games in 1080p, many PS360 folks would upgrade.

Tybolt

Banned
Doesn't Nintendo QA every game they allow on their systems, third party or not to avoid embarassing day one patch and beyond situations? I think is this why that D&D game is pretty much never coming out for the Wii U either, as the guys Capcom outsourced broke the multiplayer.

I recall reading an article where an indie dev was using Nintendo's QA to bug test his own game, too.

Anyway, with that logic, nothing from Bethesda would ever make the cut anyway, so I suppose it works out.

MYE

Get their feedback on things like the GamePad. MS did this with the Xbox when Epic asked for more Ram and gamers were better off for it. Sony did this with the Dual Shock 4 and the controller is getting rave reviews.

GamePad is a great controller

B.O.O.M

I don't think you read past the first sentence.

Regardless, I don't think having a console on par with PS4/XB1/PS5/XB-1, as others have suggested, would help them right now or in future. I think many developers are just straight up done with Nintendo because they don't think their titles will sell on their system. So if they do release a powerful system on par with the next gen systems, or even above them, I still don't see many new devs jumping on board unless Nintendo moneyhats them. I mean, even now there could still easily be 360/PS3/PC ports for the Wii U, but most devs don't do that. The necessity of needing to do something with the gamepad is also a problem. It's not like we say tons of developers going out of their way to add extra Kinect/Move controls.

With Bethesda, them not supporting the Wii U doesn't really affect my purchasing habits. Maybe Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 4 would be neat on the Wii U, but chances are no console version is going to surpass the PC version anyway. Sucks for Wii U owners who only own Nintendo systems. But it is not like they have been playing Bethesda games on Nintendo systems a lot before. Unless you count the shitty licensed/sports games they published for the Wii, DS, and NES.

You are a confusing fella aren't ya

So what are you talking about with that first line of yours exactly? Are you referring to your absurd comment or the article?

I read the complete article fyi. Not sure why my comment made you think otherwise. If it was about your comment then yes..it's a damn salty one lol

Now about this post of yours..

A. making a similar piece of hardware will make porting or making multiplats much much easier for the devs. It will make a big difference. Because as we saw during the last gen, developers focused a lot on PS3/360 because they were in the same ballpark when it came to capabilities. The reason why third party titles fail so much on wiiu is because the system lacks an audience for it. And how would you expand and bring in such an audience? From the PS360 audience. To do that the system, at least as a start, needs to be comparable in power. WiiU has already failed that part

B. Doesn't matter if you like their games or if you enjoy them elsewhere. Publishers/devs voicing out their lack of future support like this is never good news for the system. Doesn't matter how people may try to spin it. It doesn't matter if the wii didn't get PS360 multiplats...I mean given the capabilities of the wii that was never gonna happen. But wiiu was nintendo's chance to rectify it and they have failed with the consoles design. Not involving big third parties in the creation of the system is most likely a reason behind it as well

d[-_-]b

Banned
Why would such a statement be made if there was no interest?

Denial is a hell of a drug.

Nintendo's attitude towards wooing developers and publishers is antiquated and they only have themselves to blame for the weak and waning interest.

You say this as if Nintendo's recent flagship Zelda titles haven't shipped with game-ending glitches, and they're not a tenth as complex as a game like Skyrim. Again, your attitude is like Nintendo's...sucky and self-defeating.

Hmm maybe because someone asked what can Nintendo do to bring 3rd parties, that has no correlation to actually making games for Wii U.

"Bethesda" is not a single entity. This is the opinion of one guy, who happens to work at Bethesda, regarding third party relations on the Wii U. The fact that his company hasn't published any games on a Nintendo console in the past doesn't make his opinion somehow invalid. In that case why take anyone's opinion seriously? Should we only listen to publishers who love Nintendo and have published on Nintendo platforms for years? That same kind of insulated, head in the sand viewpoint is what got Nintendo in this mess in the first place.

I love how I felt like someone was going to pick on the semantics, look at the topic and I quote "Bethesda: 'The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past'". What's your brilliant solution to this?

d[-_-]b;79655325 said:
Hmm maybe because someone asked what can Nintendo do to bring 3rd parties, that has no correlation to actually making games for Wii U.

I love how I felt like someone was going to pick on the semantics, look at the topic and I quote "Bethesda: 'The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past'".

Thread title is wrong. It was even wrong-er before. Not sure what your point is. Did you just read the title?

Banned
lol, who cares about Bethesda. After Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 they have no goodwill left.
Hahahaha.....wait what? Bethesda? Not Bioware?

i6U0tlnxh83in.gif

mrpeabody

Consoles haven't been primarily about platforms and button mashers for 15 years.

d[-_-]b;79655613 said:
Lol not sure what your point is? Because you wanted to state that it was one person, even though he was sitting as representative for his respective company?

My point was that he was expressing his opinion. Just because he works for Bethseda doesn't mean there can't be some truths or value to it. If you are taking that side than what the fuck are we here for? What is the point of all of our opinions on this message board?

Smash, X, Bayonetta, SMTxFE. Probably a Zelda by 2015, there will be games, and Retro will be working on something new too.

I don't care about Bethesda, but having 3rd Party support would be nice, I wouldn't buy their games but I'm sure others would. Right now it's Nintendo + Platinum + Sega + whatever Ubisoft releases.

Well I already mentioned Smash and Zelda so we are left with X, Bayonetta 2 and SMTxFE for the second half of 2014 and Zelda in 2015.

If Splinter Cell, Rayman, Watch Dogs and AC 4 don't do well, which I doubt they will as most WiiU owners will be buying Pikmin, Sonic, Zelda, Mario and DKC then I expect these to be the last Ubisoft developed games for the system, same with CoD and Activision.

They are probably developing unannounced titles, they don't have any other choice really. Did you think they would just develop a wave of games for a year and just kick back?

What is left exclusive wise ?, Miyamoto has given the impression there is no F Zero in the works and Starfox isn't a big seller so I doubt that's coming. I do expect a Wii Sports U and we have yet to see Miyamotos new IP but even then we are talking about 6 games for 2014 / 2015, it's extremely worrying for a company that is almost completely reliant on first party software.

Trike

You are a confusing fella aren't ya

So what are you talking about with that first line of yours exactly? Are you referring to your absurd comment or the article?

I read the complete article fyi. Not sure why my comment made you think otherwise. If it was about your comment then yes..it's a damn salty one lol

Now about this post of yours..

A. making a similar piece of hardware will make porting or making multiplats much much easier for the devs. It will make a big difference. Because as we saw during the last gen, developers focused a lot on PS3/360 because they were in the same ballpark when it came to capabilities. The reason why third party titles fail so much on wiiu is because the system lacks an audience for it. And how would you expand and bring in such an audience? From the PS360 audience. To do that the system, at least as a start, needs to be comparable in power. WiiU has already failed that part

B. Doesn't matter if you like their games or if you enjoy them elsewhere. Publishers/devs voicing out their lack of future support like this is never good news for the system. Doesn't matter how people may try to spin it. It doesn't matter if the wii didn't get PS360 multiplats...I mean given the capabilities of the wii that was never gonna happen. But wiiu was nintendo's chance to rectify it and they have failed with the consoles design. Not involving big third parties in the creation of the system is most likely a reason behind it as well

I will tell you what I meant by the first line of mine when Bethesda releases Dragon Age 3.

A. MCN sums it up best:
Which would be absolutely disastrous for them, as the market cannot sustain 3 essentially identical consoles, and third parties would still make shit excuses, especially as Sony and Microsoft have put third parties on a pedestal and given them an inflated sense of entitlement.

Besides, if Nintendo created a comparably powerful machine with third party support on par with Microsoft and Sony, what do you think will happen? The Playstation/Microsoft crowd will jump ship? Or will they stay with their platform of choice? By just doing that, both Microsoft and Sony would need to massively fuck up their consoles in order to make that a viable plan. Nintendo needs to mend their relationship with console gamers just as much as they do with 3rd party developers.

B. I wasn't trying to spin anything, I was just saying how it would affect me personally. Then I also mentioned my confusion regarding why this is a surprise to Nintendo fans, seeing as how it is par for course. Their games from last gen would not play on the Wii, and whatever they make next will probably use all of the resources possible on the PS4/360, which are quite far ahead of the Wii U in power. Last time they tried a downgraded port, that I know of, was the PSP Oblivion. And we all know what happened to that.

jmls1121

Banned
Oh please. I don't give a darn if you aren't a personal fan of the series that Bethesda makes, but the games they release are critically acclaimed award winning bestsellers. Such titles bring value to any system.

Yeah, I just meant value to me personally. I think they are by far the worse of the established big name developers. There games are broken to all hell.

Even though Bethesda doesn't develop for Nintendo, it's not like his point is completely without merit. It really does go without saying how much Nintendo has dropped the ball in properly presenting/advertising the Wii U over the two past two years and I doubt Bethesda (along with various others) fancies still working with last-gen technology.

Fully agree with anyone who's saying Nintendo needs a shake-up. Not to say Iwata or Miyamoto need to go or anything, but they can't afford to stick with launches in the vein of 3DS/Wii U.

d[-_-]b

Banned
My point was that he was expressing his opinion. Just because he works for Bethseda doesn't mean there can't be some truths or value to it. If you are taking that side than what the fuck are we here for? What is the point of all of our opinions on this message board?

Woah too deep dude, I stated why I felt it wasn't credible, you're welcome to refute my point, but to ignore the argument due to silly things like you feel this quote should be only accredited to the person who said it, even though he's introduced as Peter Hines, VP of Marketing and PR of Bethesda.

Pete Hines, Bethesda employee since 1999, VP of PR. It's safe to say he speaks for his company.

In fact, you might say that a major third-party studio, which hasn't supported Nintendo hardware in the past, would be EXACTLY the guys who Nintendo should be listening to. They are the ones who can explain what Nintendo needs to do differently.
See this fellow has a reasonable point but I'd counter, that most of these publishers don't believe that the audience is there, and as many other people state it's not their job to bring that audience but for Nintendo to show that audience is there without a publisher pulling the usual catch-22, only Nintendo games sell.

mrpeabody

"Bethesda" is not a single entity. This is the opinion of one guy, who happens to work at Bethesda, regarding third party relations on the Wii U.
Pete Hines, Bethesda employee since 1999, VP of PR. It's safe to say he speaks for his company.

The fact that his company hasn't published any games on a Nintendo console in the past doesn't make his opinion somehow invalid. In that case why take anyone's opinion seriously? Should we only listen to publishers who love Nintendo and have published on Nintendo platforms for years? That same kind of insulated, head in the sand viewpoint is what got Nintendo in this mess in the first place.

In fact, you might say that a major third-party studio, which hasn't supported Nintendo hardware in the past, would be EXACTLY the guys who Nintendo should be listening to. They are the ones who can explain what Nintendo needs to do differently.

Sony got their heads out of their asses this generation and brought developers into the conversation at the earliest stages. The result is huge third-party support from AAA all the way down to garage developers. Nintendo can do the same if they choose to.

weevles

Bethesda has never been a strong supporter of Nintendo platforms, so them not supporting Wii U is not really news no matter what that one guy says. Not to mention, with Wii U sales in the dumps, a lot of devs are holding off on the platform until it picks up again anyways.

d[-_-]b;79657341 said:
See this fellow has a reasonable point but I'd counter, that most of these publishers don't believe that the audience is there, and as many other people state it's not their job to bring that audience but for Nintendo to show that audience is there without a publisher pulling the usual catch-22, only Nintendo games sell.

but why? You don't know who he works for.

Yado

What is left exclusive wise ?, Miyamoto has given the impression there is no F Zero in the works and Starfox isn't a big seller so I doubt that's coming. I do expect a Wii Sports U and we have yet to see Miyamotos new IP but even then we are talking about 6 games for 2014 / 2015, it's extremely worrying for a company that is almost completely reliant on first party software.

They have released a 2d Mario. 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and DK are coming. At this point they will be forced to create new ip or revisit the less popular ones, they're going to need a major title for holiday 2014 for example. I don't think Nintendo has a huge trove of unannounced games they're sitting on, but I don't think it's far fetched to think there are some titles we don't know about yet.

To me, Nintendo has two options to try and get third party support for their home consoles.

1.) Build their next console to be a direct competitors to the Xbox 4 and PlayStation 5 on all levels including hardware power and control interface.
2.) Build their next console to be a $150-$200 box at launch built on high end mobile parts and try to recruit mobile/tablet/set top developers for support.

I feel option 2 makes a lot more sense given where they are in the market.

It makes more sense, but it'd still be an extremely steep uphill battle, given their historical (in)competencies (online functionality, software pricing, overall insularity).

Tripon

I'm not really surprised. Its up to every Dev and publisher to figure Which platform they should be on.

That said, Bethesda has never tried to use a Nintendo console or handheld seriously, and that is an issue that they need to figure out.

B.O.O.M

I will tell you what I meant by the first line of mine when Bethesda releases Dragon Age 3.

A. MCN sums it up best:

Besides, if Nintendo created a comparably powerful machine with third party support on par with Microsoft and Sony, what do you think will happen? The Playstation/Microsoft crowd will jump ship? Or will they stay with their platform of choice? By just doing that, both Microsoft and Sony would need to massively fuck up their consoles in order to make that a viable plan. Nintendo needs to mend their relationship with console gamers just as much as they do with 3rd party developers.

B. I wasn't trying to spin anything, I was just saying how it would affect me personally. Then I also mentioned my confusion regarding why this is a surprise to Nintendo fans, seeing as how it is par for course. Their games from last gen would not play on the Wii, and whatever they make next will probably use all of the resources possible on the PS4/360, which are quite far ahead of the Wii U in power. Last time they tried a downgraded port, that I know of, was the PSP Oblivion. And we all know what happened to that.

yeah I know ...I mean few posters already pointed out why the comment was a fail from a factual point of view. Or are you saying you did it intentionally in order to sound witty? Because you failed then too. it's way too random which makes me think you are trying to cover up for your mistake

Either way moving on

1. WiiU launched a year earlier. If Nintendo released a powerful system comparable to Xbone and PS4 then yes you will see much more interest in it from PS360 crowd. Powerful new hardware are always exciting. That would have also meant taking some of the excitement out of the Xbone/PS4 reveals too. Nintendo bet on the wiiu pad to give a motion controller like boost to the systems appeal but that didn't work. it was a high risk high reward move which was imho very ill thought out.

2. I don't think Nintendo fans are 'surprised'...nor they should be since wiiu is underpowered (which has lead to the creation of a wii like situation yet again) and also because plenty of third parties have shown a similar attitude towards the wiiu even prior to this. This is just one more addition to the list.

Top Bottom