• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

I did think they were basically finished. The system seemed to big to a be a portable and far to weak to be a console.

Reality was like:

Go Away Fight GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

Crayon

Somewhere in this mess you'll find me saying that it will do well.

I've never ever seen a reaction here like i did with the switch reveal. People were freaking the fuck out over the dumbest shit. Like literally every detail we knew and didn't was some huge problem. And it wasn't the usual 1-2 day meltdown. It went on for at least a week.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Eh, could be worse. It could be like back in the day on NeoGaf in the mid 2000's when people thought the DS was going to flop and the PSP was going to be the successful one.
Or when the 3DS released and idiots thought it would fail relative to the Vita because "it doesn't have a right thumbstick!" Surprise, what makes a handheld successful isn't about trying to mimic the genres & playstyles that are popular on home consoles.

Deerock71

This does show GAF exists in a bubble. People made similar claims about the XSS failing as well. There is a major difference between enthusiasts and enthusiasts gamers. It's clear enthusiasts have no idea what casual gamers value at all.
FTFY. I have one Series X and two series S in my house.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

pasterpl

This does show GAF exists in a bubble. People made similar claims about the XSS failing as well. There is a major difference between enthusiasts and casual gamers. It's clear enthusiasts have no idea what casual gamers value at

It is just like with some games CoD, FIFA etc. which neogaf shits on and these sell like crazy, DS supposed to be a failure regarding to gaf, switch supposed to be a failure, Xbox series s supposed to be a failure etc. it is almost like neogaf knows nothing about gaming market and their predictions usually are opposite to what actually happens on the market as a whole.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Always fun going back here and reading the predictions.

Crazy in retrospect that some people expected it to sell WiiU numbers at best, and now it’s almost 100M more than that.

Meesh

Watch. Switch 2 will have double screens, fold one behind the other.
Lol

I say this because we haven't remastered all those lovely DS games lol. Switch1 = PSP, Switch2 = PSPGO?

Last edited:
12mxYUM.png

Software

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
46.82m

Animal Crossing: 39.38m

Smash Bros Ultimate: 28.82m

Zelda BOTW: 27.14m

Pokémon Sword/Shield: 24.50m

Mario Odyssey: 23.93m

Super Mario Party: 18.06m

Pokémon BD/SP: 14.79m

Pokémon Let's Go: 14.66m

Ring Fit Adventure: 14.54m

New Releases

Splatoon 3:
Releases 9th September

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Releases 29th July

Other

New Super Mario Bros U:
13.31m

Pokémon Legends Arceus: 12.64m

Luigi Mansion 3: 11.43m

Super Mario 3D World: 9.43m

Mario Party Superstars: 6.88m

Switch Sports: 4.84m

Kirby ATFL: 4.53m

Mario Strikers Battle League: 1.91m

Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st Party)

Splatoon 2:
13.30m

Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.01m

Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m

Legend of Zelda LA: 6.08m

Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m

Clubhouse Games: 4.22m

DKC Tropical Freeze: 4.12m

Hyrule Warriors AOC: 4.00m

Kirby Star Allies: 3.98m

Legend of Zelda SS: 3.91m

Fire Emblem TH: 3.82m

1-2 Switch: 3.63m

Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m

Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.01m

Metroid Dread: 2.90m

New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m

Arms: 2.66m

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.44m

Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m

Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.23m

Captain Toad TT: 2.13m

Octopath Traveller: 2.08m

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 1.89m

Miitopia: 1.68m

Xenoblade Chronicles DE: 1.68m

Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.59m

Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m

Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.51m

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.50m

Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m

Astral Chain: 1.28m

Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.27m

Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.20m

Game Builder Garage: 1.06m

Bayonetta 2: 1.04m

Fire Emblem Three Hopes: 1.00m

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wow. Some of those replies on page one.

To be honest, I didn't think the Switch would be as successful as it has been, but I didn't think it'd be DOA either.

Wohc

Banned
Only needs 47M more to beat the PS2. Still about 2 years until the Switch 2 and then Nintendo will drop the Switch to $199 and the Switch Lite to $99 and it's over.
PS2 had one big advantage that makes it hard to beat: They produced it for 12 years and sold it for 13 years. If they stopped production with the release of the PS3 Switch would have already beaten it.

Last edited:

Mozza

Only needs 47M more to beat the PS2. Still about 2 years until the Switch 2 and then Nintendo will drop the Switch to $199 and the Switch Lite to $99 and it's over.
I think the new Switch will arrive late 2024 or early 2025, so a very good chance the Switch can still do it, unless of course it's earlier.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wow. Some of those replies on page one.

To be honest, I didn't think the Switch would be as successful as it has been, but I didn't think it'd be DOA either.
As soon as I saw that first trailer where it was Zelda and Mario looking as good as they did and then the people in the advert docking it and it seamlessly transitioning to the TV - I knew that it was going to be wildly popular.

It fit nearly every childhood dream of a console that I’d had, including the merger of Nintendo’s dev teams.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
As soon as I saw that first trailer where it was Zelda and Mario looking as good as they did and then the people in the advert docking it and it seamlessly transitioning to the TV - I knew that it was going to be wildly popular.

It fit nearly every childhood dream of a console that I’d had, including the merger of Nintendo’s dev teams.

I think it's time I picked up a Switch. As a family, we used to play the shit out of Mario Kart Wii (and 8 on the Wii U), Wii sports, Mario 3D world etc. Probably the best times we've had as a family.

Plus there are a bunch of killer titles on the Switch and classic ports.

Is the OLED model worth the extra cash?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think it's time I picked up a Switch. As a family, we used to play the shit out of Mario Kart Wii (and 8 on the Wii U), Wii sports, Mario 3D world etc. Probably the best times we've had as a family.

I got the Oled for £244 which is a really good deal - it’s defo the best unit, great screen, battery life and smallest bezel. I’d have bought the Oled for full price.

Mozza

The OLED model is pretty awesome, and a massive bonus if you play in handheld mode, not so much if you play docked most of the time, although everything about the OLED model feels more premium, even the dock. I have the OLED with the white joycon, but must admit to being very tempted by the upcoming Splatoon 3 edition. :)

Mozza

I got the Oled for £244 which is a really good deal - it’s defo the best unit, great screen, battery life and smallest bezel. I’d have bought the Oled for full price.
I tend to forget about the bigger screen, until I pick up my daughters original model, then it hits home how much of a difference it makes.

This may be the last year that switch can sell 20 million or more units, but it will still beat PS2 if it sells around 18m, 10m, 5m and 3m in 2023, 2024, 2025 & 2026.

Calendar year Shipments

IjC7FXQ.png

cZAtwwx.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom