• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Shadowgate Kicsktarter is live! (sequel to classic NES Shadowgate)

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

Beyond Shadowgate, from the original creators!​

The original design of the never-before seen point and click adventure is being brought to life after 30+ years in the vault - Beyond Shadowgate! This new PC game is being created by the designers of the original 8-bit hit Shadowgate and a leading 8-bit adventure studio! With a story that is over four times larger than Shadowgate, Beyond Shadowgate captures the same look and feel as the 8-bit console version while including modern design sensibilities. Get ready for the ultimate Shadowgate sequel!

9c03ff05cd99e9f9314d518f2ec34ee5_original.gif

67da4d957be8804091d15139f175234b_original.jpg

30278360b49d867f40e6956906812ca4_original.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This looks really cool, I don't usually back games on Kickstarter but I might have to make an exception here!

Barakov

Beyond Shadowgate, from the original creators!​

The original design of the never-before seen point and click adventure is being brought to life after 30+ years in the vault - Beyond Shadowgate! This new PC game is being created by the designers of the original 8-bit hit Shadowgate and a leading 8-bit adventure studio! With a story that is over four times larger than Shadowgate, Beyond Shadowgate captures the same look and feel as the 8-bit console version while including modern design sensibilities. Get ready for the ultimate Shadowgate sequel!

9c03ff05cd99e9f9314d518f2ec34ee5_original.gif

67da4d957be8804091d15139f175234b_original.jpg

30278360b49d867f40e6956906812ca4_original.png

I didn't even know...
mood erection GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There was also the Shadowgate on Turbografx CD.
From their Kickstarter FAQs

Is this related to the Turbo version of Beyond Shadowgate

No. This is tied to the NES version. The Turbo version was done for NEC and we weren't really involved.

Krathoon

Turbo Shadowgate is pretty good though. They captured the spirit of the game.
I backed it. They already met their goal.
I added the cloth map. I only picked the $25 option where you get your name in the game.

Last edited:

jshackles

Well, I hope you're happy SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo , this is the first thing I've ever backed on Kickstarter.

jshackles

The Uninvited and Deja Vu bonus chapter stretch goals have been met!

Also, pledging now will give you both a Steam key and a GOG key.

Yep! You spoke, we listened! We spoke with GoG and they are super pumped about hosting a DRM-FREE version of the game (Note: It will also be on itchio!) So, if you pledged for a Steam key, you also get a DRM-FREE key (of your choice) as well!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I finally tried Shadowgate (first the remake, then the Mac Venture original) last year. Even in easy mode the remake was pretty hard, but the "normal" difficulty level is brutal, as is the MV version. Old-school adventure games through and through, lots and lots of trial and error and you have to pay attention to every single pixel. I'm not sure a game 4 times as big is a good thing for your sanity. Those 43 rooms in Shadowgate already felt like a hundred, and there was a lot of backtracking involved.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I finally tried Shadowgate (first the remake, then the Mac Venture original) last year. Even in easy mode the remake was pretty hard, but the "normal" difficulty level is brutal, as is the MV version. Old-school adventure games through and through, lots and lots of trial and error and you have to pay attention to every single pixel. I'm not sure a game 4 times as big is a good thing for your sanity. Those 43 rooms in Shadowgate already felt like a hundred, and there was a lot of backtracking involved.
If you haven't already, give Shadowgate 64 a try.

I want a Darklands remake.
A sequel/spiritual successor may or may not happen.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They try to do remakes/sequels many times. They can never capture the same feel as the original.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They try to do remakes/sequels many times. They can never capture the same feel as the original.
In this case that could be a good thing. The original here is an unforgiving puzzle adventure with deathtraps every step of the way and a strict time limit on top. Pixel hunting, saving every 5 seconds and throwing everything at the wall in the hope that something sticks isn’t so hot these days anymore. The original game had more than enough of that, now if this is actually 4 times as large…

Lunarorbit

If shadowgate remake is too hard (haven't played any yet) Steven Jacksons Sorcery! is a fun remake of the old book series.

I played the lone wolf book series growing up and this is similar. Came out on ios first but there's a console version too. It's cheap and fun.

jshackles

New video showing off controller input and the mini-map

I personally can't wait.

Top Bottom