• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Lives Matter Movement - Sydney Peace Prize 2017 Recipient

KSweeley

Link: http://sydneypeacefoundation.org.au/peace-prize-recipients/black-lives-matter/

2017 Black Lives Matter
Movement for freedom, justice and dignity for all Black lives

SYDNEY PEACE PRIZE CITATION
For building a powerful movement for racial equality, courageously reigniting a global conversation around state violence and racism. And for harnessing the potential of new platforms and power of people to inspire a bold movement for change at a time when peace is threatened by growing inequality and injustice.

Link: http://mashable.com/2017/05/22/black-lives-matter-peace-prize/#E7Y0uGKIrOq2

Black Lives Matter gets the global recognition it deserves

It's a modern-day civil rights movement that has firm roots in the African-American community, but Black Lives Matter has deservedly received international recognition.

Namely in Australia, where the Black Lives Matter Global Network has been awarded this year's Sydney Peace Prize, which recognises "leading global voices that promote peace, justice and nonviolence."

According to the award's citation, the movement inspired people to "stand up locally, nationally and internationally" to demand respect for "human rights and equality," and remind us "of the power of authentic democracy to achieve transformative change and justice."

It's the first time the prize has been awarded to a movement, not a person. "It is a tremendous honor to receive this recognition," according to organiser Patrisse Cullors in a statement.

Cullors co-founded the movement alongside Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi, where they started the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter in the wake of the acquittal of George Zimmerman for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in 2013.

"It comes at a time when this movement is more important than ever — with an administration in office that is so openly racist, homophobic, anti-women, anti-children, anti-labour anti-immigrant. Black Lives Matter is our call to action, it is a tool to reimagine a world where black people are free to exist, free to live, and a tool for our allies to show up for us," Cullors added.

The prize is awarded by the Sydney Peace Foundation at the University of Sydney, with previous recipients including Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Professor Noam Chomsky, author Arundhati Roy, and activist Naomi Klein.

"Their courageous work is an inestimable contribution to progress towards a truly enlightened society," Chomsky said of the award in a statement.

Trump tweet shitting on Australia in 3...2...1...

He'll compliment their peace awards like he did their healthcare. When its pointed out that the peace award will go to BLM, he'll say he was just being complimentary like when he found out aussie land is single payer.

Viewt

Very nice to see. BLM has had a critical role in the New Civil Rights Movement, and it's good to see them get the recognition they deserve.

i remember being at grand central last year waiting for my train and i had noise cancelling headphones on. i saw a crowd of people coming in through the entrances into the concourse. at first i was thinking, well of course it's friday night at GC just huge crowds of people moving abound.

then i realize it was one huge crowd moving in, chanting and chanting so loud I could hear it through my headphones. took em off,

"BLACK LIVES MATTER! BLACK LIVES MATTER!"

i wish i could've seen more of what went down but cops started showing up and i had to catch my train

edit: might still have a video of it on my phone

I went to a performance of This is Our Youth in New York a few years back and after the show some BLM activist who also attended the performance spontaneously gave a passionate speech incorporating the title of the play and some of its themes from their seats in the balcony above me.

When they finished the entire audience applauded. It was incredible.

KSweeley

I hope this November 2, 2017 ceremony is livestreamed, I would love to watch Black Lives Matter receive this peace prize:

THE 2017 SYDNEY PEACE PRIZE WILL BE AWARDED ON THURSDAY 2 NOVEMBER AT THE CITY OF SYDNEY LECTURE AND AWARD CEREMONY AT SYDNEY TOWN HALL. A CELEBRATORY DINNER, THE FOUNDATION'S ANNUAL FUNDRAISING EVENT FOR THE PRIZE, IS ON FRIDAY 3 NOVEMBER.

So I know buying a home in Australia is basically an impossible task at this point in time, and I know basically anything that uses oxygen exists to kill you in Australia but how's the job market?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Congrats to the founders! and to anyone else that fights for human rights and equality!

Leunam

Well deserved. I expect a hot take from my friend real soon about this, he was telling me something about a TED Talk with people involved with BLM about how they were too extreme and violent. Was having a very hard time believing him, and if anything I think he was just misinterpreting what they were saying.

andthebeatgoeson

but snark is how I cope with the world :(

But seriously, this is awesome.
I know. People want to take snark and sarcasm away but that's how i cope. It's either sarcasm or infinite rage and they already made 50 eleven million jails for the rage so I'm stuck.

So I know buying a home in Australia is basically an impossible task at this point in time, and I know basically anything that uses oxygen exists to kill you in Australia but how's the job market?
I don't think they really like us. The aboriginals seem cool as hell, tho.

Top Bottom