• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Official Trailer

Ran rp

Looks like a very 2017 take on the Blade Runner aesthetic. Beautiful, but more sleek and sterile than I'd like. Reminiscent more of alien movie imagery and utopian set design than a cluttered, lived in mess.

I wonder if the change in art direction is partially due to the film being less cyberpunk than the original was. (no idea if it is or isn't)

Looks like a very 2017 take on the Blade Runner aesthetic. Beautiful, but more sleek and sterile than I'd like. Reminiscent more of alien movie imagery and utopian set design than a cluttered, lived in mess.

Yeah I wish the settings were messier than what we're seeing. A lot of 80s scifi, including the original, was great with that grimy lived in look. Was hoping this would continue that trend much like mad max did a couple years ago

But it seems the production design went with something sleeker instead. It looks great but not exactly what I was hoping for.

The art direction change between Alien and Aliens is REALLY stark too. It always happens when a different director is brought on board. You won't notice it as much when you watch the film as a story.

EGM1966

The problem with it looking too clean isn't that it lacks film grain. It's about texture, set decoration, shot composition and mainly just design.

Here's a piece of concept art for Blade Runner 2049
vCdsWkw.jpg

Compare it with Syd Mead's work from the original.
fkOkbbC.jpg

I know neither actually represents what the movies look like, but it shows the amount of thought that went into the little details. And [that to me is representative of the difference in visuals between the two films.

tumblr_nscbyjom0h1qc3ju8o1_540.gif

KuhvPdZ.gif

EzEfUId.gif

2mvavUj.gif

tumblr_nscbyjom0h1qc3ju8o9_540.gif

Villeneuve's Blade Runner trailer shows little ambition visually. There's no spectacle to any of it. It's 2017, we can do anything with computers. I wanted to see Syd Mead's cityscapes fully realized in a way that made me feel like it was a real place, and I didn't get any of that from the trailer.
I think, at least from trailer, it's not do much lack of ambition as going for a different look. I prefer original look from Scott: there's a physicality to it combined with ridiculous levels of set dressing that just makes it so solid.

This looks more stylised in line with Villeneuve's other films and while I was initially dissappointed too I figure it's better he creates his own take than simply copy Scott too closely.

That said the way the original looks is still superb and ahead of its many imitators because it's not really down to effects quality but the superior design of Mead and co combined with a at peak Scott in terms of crafting crazy levels of de detail.

Ran rp

The art direction change between Alien and Aliens is REALLY stark too. It always happens when a different director is brought on board. You won't notice it as much when you watch the film as a story.

It's been a while since I've seen either but isn't Aliens still giger influenced? I don't get much of a Blade Runner vibe from 2049. Remove the vehicles and I'd think it was a pretty sci-fi film A24 picked up.

Mod needs to change the thread title to "'Member Berries out of control!" Look, I absolutely love the original film but I'm glad they let Dennis and Deakins do their own thing while also having that BR feel. The last thing I want is a Force Awakens version of BR.

It looks nice. But it's a direct sequel to one of the most visually arresting movies ever made. Maybe that's unfair, but you have to bring your A-game if you don't want to disappoint. Particularly if there's been an interval of 30 years that introduced to the medium a slew of new technical advances.

Exactly this.

Z3M0G

What is up with these pre-trailer trailers though? Is this just a annoying thing movie companies does now?
People now filter media and information by swiping Up, Up, Up on their phones... deciding within half a second if they will pause and watch a sudden video or not. It is sadly here to stay until that changes.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The link for the prores trailer is down, did anyone save it?

It is set decades after the original. And while there's an argument it should be dirtier, there's something unnerving but fitting about a troubled society that's pristine on the surface. I imagine it's tying into the movie thematically rather than pretty for pretty sake. Considering his other works, Denis Villeneuve isn't one to shy from grit and grimy ambiance.

Man, the original Blade Runner still looks fucking amazing. (and I'm sympathetic to the "this looks far too clean" feelings I'm seeing from fans)

We will see.

Davide

I loved how it looked, how it sounded. It all gave me that feeling of "so badly want to see this". I question how much it will appeal to other audiences, kinda worried it might do Fury Road business which was okay at best.

Fury Road looked like it was just a lot of action to me which is why I still haven't watched it even though I own it. The story and world of this look way more interesting.

International trailer with a few different shots: https://youtu.be/nCiYj_Tf0XY

OK, I think I know the basic plotline the film is going to have:

Agent K is the son of Dekkard and Rachel. He is the "Key" that Leto is talking about finding. He tracks down Dekkard and finds out what/who he really is. He will be the bridge between human and replicant. He will either be the rise or fall of this society, a new hope or a call to arms.

I'm excited as fuck to see that play out.

I feel like it's missing some of the cool tech props from the original like the Voight-Kampff machine but I guess it's like 30-40 years in the future so that could make sense, everything else looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous though.

It is set decades after the original. And while there's an argument it should be dirtier, there's something unnerving but fitting about a troubled society that's pristine on the surface. I imagine it's tying into the movie thematically rather than pretty for pretty sake. Considering his other works, Denis Villeneuve isn't one to shy from grit and grimy ambiance.

Yeah, I agree. I like the change personally. It feels a bit eerier this way and helps give a visual distinction between this film and the original.

Take this shot for example.

tumblr_opni7dcVeY1s3nyb0o6_1280.jpg

It's "clean" and "empty" if we're comparing it to the many classic shots of the overpopulated Los Angeles of 2019 in the original film, sure, but it's also a glimpse at life outside the city and it all just looks dead. Like a corpse being preserved for a funeral service or something.

Hell, it looks like the tree is literally being held up in place by a bunch of ropes just to try and preserve the old imagery of what used to be there.

I couldn't put my finger on why I don't feel anything in particular about the visuals, but it being too clean is spot on. Bladerunner's city looked fucked up and believable, this looks like CG wallpapers.

I couldn't put my finger on why I don't feel anything in particular about the visuals, but it being too clean is spot on. Bladerunner's city looked fucked up and believable, this looks like CG wallpapers.

Really?

You know you're still going to watch it. And unless Villinueve fucks up big-time, you know it's going to be a good movie. It still feels of the same world, can't that be enough?

.JayZii

Banned
The problem with it looking too clean isn't that it lacks film grain. It's about texture, set decoration, shot composition and mainly just design.

Here's a piece of concept art for Blade Runner 2049
vCdsWkw.jpg

Compare it with Syd Mead's work from the original.
fkOkbbC.jpg
The sad part about the concept art for the new one is that it just looks generic. Any concept artist that does sci-fi work could do that photo-bashed painting in their sleep. There's no creative or worldbuilding choices whatsoever being made that bring anything at all new to the table.

There is some nice cinematography and interesting locations in the trailer, though, so thankfully they didn't completely commit to the most generic vision possible.

Trago

Mastering the look of the film is probably gonna be one of the biggest challenges for Villeneuve. Many of these shots look absolutely incredible. I'm really not digging some of the CGI used for the building shots. That might just be my bias for the original film. I'm not considered about the story so much. Hampton Fancher is penning the script for fuck sake.

I dig the trailer definitely. Also Bautista's definitely a replicant lol.

EDIT, basically, Blade Runner's biggest contribution to film, and hell, it's biggest influence, is arguably the look and aesthetics it had for establishing cyberpunk as a thing. These shots are pretty, but I need to see more of the look of the film.

"I did your job once"

"I was good at it"

However I got real lucky with my last assignment. A young girl saved my ass then the last guy pulled me up from the edge of a building.

Trago

Now I'm not saying that Villeneuve should just copy and paste the same visual look of the original, I'm saying that if he's going to take it in his own direction, then he should at least strive for the same heights that the original did. And that's not asking much either, this is Villeneuve we're talking about, he's certainly capable.

Now I'm not saying that Villeneuve should just copy and paste the same visual look of the original, I'm saying that if he's going to take it in his own direction, then he should at least strive for the same heights that the original did. And that's not asking much either, this is Villeneuve we're talking about, he's certainly capable.

And I'd say that that's exactly what he did! This is already looking to be his most visually stunning film to date.

It's a big ask to live up to the visuals of the original. Despite being such an old movie it's still visually stunning and has held up better than most movies, it's incredible how well the film holds up. Having said that this is only a trailer of 2049 and it's a glimpse of all the visuals of the movie. It's also a sequel and isn't necessarily trying to recreate the same look and feel of the original. Im happy with what I've seen so far.

Fury Road looked like it was just a lot of action to me which is why I still haven't watched it even though I own it. The story and world of this look way more interesting.

Perhaps you should just watch the movie you already own and then you could have a worthwhile opinion of it. I'm not saying mad max isn't mostly action but it's pointless judging movies like that without watching them.

Trago

It's a big ask to live up to the visuals of the original. Despite being such an old movie it's still visually stunning and has held up better than most movies, it's incredible how well the film holds up. Having said that this is only a trailer of 2049 and it's a glimpse of all the visuals of the movie. It's also a sequel and isn't necessarily trying to recreate the same look and feel of the original. Im happy with what I've seen so far.

It definitely is under any other circumstance, but Villeneuve is hands down the best director working in Hollywood today. I think he's up for it! I want to see the film before judging though.

watershed

Banned
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a retread or have super obvious George Lucas style "it's like poetry, it rhymes" scenes. The final confrontation better not end on a rooftop at night in the rain!

Blues1990

This has probably already been posted (and I honestly felt it didn't deserve it's own thread), but if you have $900 US to spare, you can own a replica of the LAPD 2019 Blaster (yep, the very same arm cannon that Rick Deckard used) and show how much of a big, fat nerd you are to your friends and family.

But seriously, this is an awesome replication of the prop used in the original movie.

http://www.tomenosuke.com/blaster/

Top Bottom