• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
I'm not expecting gameplay, because of the early dev cycle framerate issues. It would make the internet fucking blow up in anger even though Demon's Souls had really bad framerate issues at its private press showing too.

VertPin

don't get your hopes up guys

likely it is just a live interview with the CG trailer playing in the background

there is a reason the game is behind doors.... they are not going to show it to the public

Don't say this, you gotta believe.

threadrevived.png

This made my day, omg.

birdchili

whenever someone asks me to choose between the two as overall games, I refuse.
wise. picking favorites is a pointless game.

i'm still surprised we haven't seen more attempts to clone these games, or at least take some of the things people love about them and run with that (people don't just like them because they're "hard").

Dio

Banned
Ughh not sure how I feel about that, Tower of Latria was one of my least favorite levels.
Well, they did mean in terms of atmosphere, not necessarily level design. I loved Tower of Latria, myself, but obviously they're not designing it anywhere near the same way as that level - Demon's Souls was very linear, and they're obviously going for the roaming, alternative routes all over a zone type of design.

Kieli

Ughh not sure how I feel about that, Tower of Latria was one of my least favorite levels.

I dig the atmosphere, but didn't really like the level design of 3-1. It got disorienting when you have 3 exact same levels with countless barren cells.

3-2 was great, though.

Miyazaki Famitsu interview seems to be up on their site.

Not much new in terms of game info but they ask him about being both a game director and From Soft President and he says something funny. First off, he became the Prez with the condition that he could continue directing games.

"If someone asks me whether I'd play hooky on my responsibilities as a game director or as the president, it would always be my president duties. (laughs) So if anyone is worried that my new position will affect game development, you can breath easy."

New Londo comes to mind

A little, but not really. New Londo isn't really frightening, it's just dreary. The ghosts are gimmicks: at the point in the game you usually go to New Londo they're really easy to kill provided you don't forget to pop Transient Curses. The level design is pretty straightforward. Once you get down below the Darkwraiths are intimidating at first, but they're basically just like the black and silver knights you've fought plenty of at this point in the game.

Latria, specifically 3-1, is a totally different story. It's dark and mazelike, first of all: it's very, very easy to get hopelessly lost, or to fall to your death down a pit. The sound design, as has been mentioned, is phenomenal: as you're wandering around lost you hear the moans of the prisoners, the screams of Lord Rydell (though you won't know who it is), the tinkling bells of the mindflayers, and sometimes out of nowhere operatic singing. The "hollow" prisoners moan and follow you around worshipfully but don't attack, so you get into the habit of ignoring them - except some of them do attack, without warning, when you enter their cells. The mindflayer guards are absolutely perfect. They're terrifying, and so your instinct is to play extremely cautiously, but that's exactly what'll get you paralyzed and brainsucked: the best way to kill them is to just bite the bullet and rush up to them and melee them down, which is exactly the opposite of everything Souls teaches you.

3-1 is the most scared I can ever recall being in a game, and that's including survival horror games like Dead Space and Amnesia.

I dig the atmosphere, but didn't really like the level design of 3-1. It got disorienting when you have 3 exact same levels with countless barren cells.

3-2 was great, though.

I felt lost in 3-1, but in a good way. In that manner, it performed it's role as a prison masterfully.

3-2 was amazing, mind. My favourite Souls level to date (Although its polar opposite, Anor Londo, comes close to me). And the bosses were all awesome, the Archdemon in particular being one of my favourite Souls Characters in terms of lore and design.

Not much new in terms of game info but they ask him about being both a game director and From Soft President and he says something funny. First off, he became the Prez with the condition that he could continue directing games.

"If someone asks me whether I'd play hooky on my responsibilities as a game director or as the president, it would always be my president duties. (laughs) So if anyone is worried that my new position will affect game development, you can breath easy."

PRAISE HIM A MIGHTY PRAISING

Zeliard

Imru’ al-Qays;116003990 said:
A little, but not really. New Londo isn't really frightening, it's just dreary. The ghosts are gimmicks: at the point in the game you usually go to New Londo they're really easy to kill provided you don't forget to pop Transient Curses. The level design is pretty straightforward. Once you get down below the Darkwraiths are intimidating at first, but they're basically just like the black and silver knights you've fought plenty of at this point in the game.

Latria, specifically 3-1, is a totally different story. It's dark and mazelike, first of all: it's very, very easy to get hopelessly lost, or to fall to your death down a pit. The sound design, as has been mentioned, is phenomenal: as you're wandering around lost you hear the moans of the prisoners, the screams of Lord Rydell (though you won't know who it is), the tinkling bells of the mindflayers, and sometimes out of nowhere operatic singing. The "hollow" prisoners moan and follow you around worshipfully but don't attack, so you get into the habit of ignoring them - except some of them do attack, without warning, when you enter their cells. The mindflayer guards are absolutely perfect. They're terrifying, and so your instinct is to play extremely cautiously, but that's exactly what'll get you paralyzed and brainsucked: the best way to kill them is to just bite the bullet and rush up to them and melee them down, which is exactly the opposite of everything Souls teaches you.

3-1 is the most scared I can ever recall being in a game, and that's including survival horror games like Dead Space and Amnesia.

This is a great post.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there anything at all in Miyazaki's track record or in the various impressions given by people that makes you think you'll be "spamming chain combo multipliers"?

It's like people see the word "aggressive" and automatically go to the extreme. I'm pretty sure Bloodborne isn't going to be like Devil May Cry 3.
No, I didn't say I thought it was gonna be like this. In fact, I did say my concerns were "mild". I just used a more extreme example to illustrate them.

Guys Gamekult ( french website ) made a new preview of the game ( http://www.gamekult.com/actu/e3-2014...s-A133651.html ) so if you understand french... :p

A big info : the zones of the game are connected between them, as in Dark Souls 1 ! :)
Very cool article! I translated some quotes of interest (highlights are mine):
Featuring merciless battles where the winner ends up covered in blood and absorbs the last drop of energy from his opponent.
[...]
Cloth physics effects, character animations and fire effect renderings are particularly enjoyable, as well as the more subtle lighting effects and overall greatly improved textures. Pestilence oozed out from every pore of the visited zone, explored in about thirty minutes and guarded by a humongous boss leaping down from the roofs just after a fog gate.
[...]
Drink too much contaminated blood and it seems you could become more beastly yourself, and less in control. To recover your normal form, it will be necessary to find clean human blood, probably on corpses of other connected players or on still sane NPCs. Once again Miyazaki and his colleagues remained coy and refused to reveal the details of the online play, which they only described as "unique" and based on an "open community of exploration".

[...they got in a zinger at the "B team" here :p]

Hiding behind protection while waiting for an opening will no longer be possible due to the absence of shields as well as the counter system using short-ranged bursts fired at the right moment to stun the enemies before finishing them off with melee. Dodges however are still in, and melee weapons are now customizable, each form with its own range and moveset. We could already see it with the folding hatchet in the demo, sometimes used to sweep many enemis in one blow or to sneak in close-range charged hits against a big monster. Miyazaki added that the arsenal will be bigger and deeper in the final game. Sometimes, we'll have to trade our blunderbuss for a torch against the sheer darkness, the real one, not like the one in Dark Souls II.

[Morri: I wonder if the close-ranged blunderbuss blast "fired at the right moment" is the equivalent of a parry, and finishing off is the riposte? That'd be cool.]

The exploration aspect of Bloodborne will be more similar to the first Dark Souls. It will be a world with its zones interconnected in the most coherent way possible, both geography-wise and lore-wise, what with the different legends and stories building up the universe of the game. [...] "One of the pillars of this title is the exploration of the unknown", Miyazaki says. "You can also expect to find moments of beauty even in the deepest heart of the darkness of this new world, because finding beauty is something that I care deeply about for years. And once again we want to find a satisfying balance for the penalties for dying as the player, even if we can't show it to you yet.

Absolutely, with the right build shields are worthless, they would just slow you down. Put a bunch of points into stamina so you can just dodge attacks instead of blocking them, and backstab the shit out of dudes. It's also a good build for ranged attacks. The thief build was my favorite in Demon's Souls, for sure.
Eh, shields are never "worthless". Having a light shield around barely adds weight to your total gear and it's trivially easy to fast roll with one equipped, and having the option can't hurt. I do have many shield-less characters but to say shields are worthless is very silly.

Shield-less builds were perfectly viable. Hell, Demon's even had a Zweihander-styled bullshit build.
Eh? Do you mean the Dragon Bone Smasher? Because that weapon was better used one-handed... with a shield in the left. ;) DBS + shield is A-tier in PvP. And if you use an estoc... you jump to S-tier.

Oh fuck YES. Latria is my favourite area of all the Souls games combined.

There's nothing quite like it. The closest to it would be something like the Duke's Archives or a night-time Anor Londo.
I remember seeing Sen's Fortress in the early reveals and thinking it was the equivalent of Latria... it ended up being quite different than my initial impression, but I still think it's the closest one in terms of atmosphere, all the falls and traps, etc. That or New Londo Ruins.

Can I just say... Although eerie, Lorerific, and in possession of a fantastic theme... Fool's Idol was a bit meh to me. In comparison to the other bosses of Latria, anyway. 7-8/10.

I'm... not sure how I was doing that? I've said repeatedly that both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are my twin games of the last generation, and whenever someone asks me to choose between the two as overall games, I refuse. That doesn't mean that they can't still be compared and contrasted in various ways.

I'm in the same boat. I really can't say which I think is the better game, though I think in my heart I prefer Dark Souls ever so slightly. But really each game is absolutely the best at what they do: Demon's Souls for the incredible brooding atmosphere, Dark Souls for the interconnected world strewn with secrets.

If Bloodborne is aiming at replicating the best of both games, which is what it seems like it's aiming to do. . .

SyaraSystem

Neo Member

JOLLY CORPORATIZATION

Man, this game sounds amazing.

"Please... help me..."

*DING*

*DING*

"GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

*woman singing*

*DING*
Eh? Do you mean the Dragon Bone Smasher? Because that weapon was better used one-handed... with a shield in the left. ;) DBS + shield is A-tier in PvP. And if you use an estoc... you jump to S-tier.
I meant something more akin to a Meat Cleaver build.

duckroll

That's not the Famitsu interview in the magazine. This is just their coverage at E3 during the media briefing for Miyazaki. There was a short Q&A after the gameplay demonstration. It's good to see that the press are asking questions about why it's not Demon's Souls 2 and about his responsibilities as president and game director though. :)

BumRush

this.

Ashodin

Latria was fuckin' NUTS. Dat Prison.

Well it's not titled Dark or Demon's Souls so, yeah. :p

Yeah I meant gameplay wise.

I might end up liking combat changes more because last game I was mostly powerstancing through it the first time with points in adaptation. I've evolved past the point of shields :p (though I would have liked them against some of the multi boss fights).

Miyazaki, man... he's a good guy.

Awesome post. I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom