• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg interview with cofounder of Black Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-alicia-garza-interview-issue/

People often trace Black Lives Matter to three years ago. The night George Zimmerman was acquitted after killing Trayvon Martin, you went on Facebook and wrote …
A rant is what I called it, but it ended up being a love letter to black people. There was so much being said either about “we already knew that was going to happen,” or about what black folks need to do to prevent ourselves from being murdered­—“just vote,” “just get a better education. …” None of that deals with how vigilantes are grown and supported by laws, or how to eradicate ­systemic racism.

So I wrote a love letter, ending with, “Black people, I love you. I love us. We matter. Our lives matter.” Patrisse Cullors put a hashtag in front of it. And we started talking about building and organizing to really be a magnet for people who wanted to figure out how to fight back. And our sister Opal Tometi helped us build the platforms online to connect people. All three of us were organizers. So part of what we asked our network to do was to use “Black Lives Matter” in their work if it was helpful. Folks did.

What’s the biggest misconception people have about Black Lives Matter?
That we only care about black people. We are clear that all lives matter, but we live in a world where that’s not actually happening in ­practice. So if we want to get to the place where all lives matter, then we have to make sure that black lives matter, too.

There is quite a bit more at the link. I searched for Bloomberg and didn't find anything.

Great interview, good read. Anyone who does the #AllLivesMatter bullshit needs to read this, if only for her response on the misconceptions regarding what BLM is, does, and wants.

Throughout the interview she tackles Trump, the Clintons, Obama, comparisons to the 1960s civil rights movement, and more. Pretty insightful to the inner workings of Black Lives Matter.

I wish it was longer, though.

dream

Has Hillary Clinton done or said anything as a presidential candidate that’s surprised you?
Early on, she would say, “Yes, black lives matter,” but she wouldn’t acknowledge her role in processes that fundamentally showed black lives did not matter. She says that she is for economic justice, but she doesn’t support $15 an hour as the minimum wage.

After Bill Clinton told black protesters, “You are defending the people who kill the lives you say matter,” you wrote, “My back is tired of being the path to the White House.”
I was angry about that for about a month—seriously, like every single day. It’s reprehensible for him to defend the impacts his policies have had on our communities. The Clintons use black people for votes, but then don’t do anything for black communities after they’re elected. They use us for photo ops.

Utterly brutal, and I almost wonder if this thread title should reflect Garza's comments on the Clintons.

Volimar

The Clintons part isn't even true, objectively. A better quote might be that they don't do much that solely benefits blacks. The biggest strike against them is a certain infamously bad crime initiative, you know the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom