• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long live Tango Gameworks! 'Appreciation Thread'

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alright, we all know how shitty it is and we've all voiced our frustration.

ITT we share our love and memories of the brilliant games that Tango gave us.

Do not poo poo in the comments. This thread is a celebration of life, much like a memorial service for a loved one. No one wants to hear if you were bored by a game you only played an hour of. This is a positive vibes only thread.

I want to read your memories and the things that will stick with you now that Tango is gone. We as gamers need to ensure that Tango's games are never lost to time. Tango made some truly special games and they should always be celebrated.

Thread theme.

I have yet to play Hi Fi Rush and I love TEW but Ghostwire: Tokyo is the game that made me realize Tango could be one of the best studios on the planet. First game I ever platinum'd, first real PS5 exclusive I owned.

The game just hit on all fronts for me and that initial playthrough was so damn special. I was so immersed in the world and I love all the Japanese folklore within it. The game is an absolute love letter to spooky Japanese culture and I'm a better person for playing the game. Started a fresh game on Monday and it's still just as fun to me.

At launch I would wake up at 4am so I could play the game a few hours before work. I've never done anything like that in my life and it was amazing. The warm glow of the TV, my younger dachshund chilling on my lap. Sipping coffee, enjoying the hell out of the game. While the rest of EST time zone slept away, I was racing around Tokyo, gliding from rooftop to rooftop, fighting spectral enemies and doing my absolute best to save Tokyo.

How about you Gaf? I know Tango left an impression on you. Let's hear it, let's celebrate this studio. They deserve it for all the great experiences they gave us.

LONG LIVE TANGO GAMEWORKS! 🙌

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's been 10 minutes. Sorry to be negative in the positive vibes thread but happy threads don't exactly get clicks at GAF.
😞

Ghostwire for all its faults had a really cool premise that could have been delivered upon better with a SEQUEL that sadly got rejected. World of Horror sort of builds on the actual Japanese style of horror but an open city designed around all those creepy yokai running around was a cool concept.

It's insane looking back on it, HI fi rush was THE game for January 2023. People LOVED it, shadow dropped and everything. It was honestly a great indicator that 2023 was going to be an excellent year when the first month was such a fun one. It'd been such a long while since an Xbox title had received such love and attention by the general public. I haven't played it myself but I'm sure it's a banger. It just genuinely sucks that we won't get another like it. In an ideal world a DLC would have been announced and released by now :/

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's been 10 minutes. Sorry to be negative in the positive vibes thread but happy threads don't exactly get clicks at GAF. 😞
And I don't even post here anymore! Just in the PSVR2 OT but Tango closing brought me out of lurk mode.

Come on Gaf! Do it for ol' Fart Town 😅

Reactions: Isa

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sure bud. Here's my favorite moment from Hi-Fi Rush.

Guess it helps that I really like Pendulum The Prodigy, I'm ALWAYS mixing up those two lol. But still, gameplay wise, this was thrilling.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I only played the Evil Within games

The first one is interesting, it had moments were i thought i was really playing a succesor to RE4, creepy factor, but the QTE were so frustrating it almost ruined the experience for me, tech wise it was also pretty rough

However i was hyped for the sequel, and bought it day one, its more polished in some ways,although the creepy factor from the first game was toned down in favor of a clean ,and frankly more boring aesthetic, the gameplay is also not as varied

Still i believe the series had potential for a second sequel to finish the trilogy that sadly won't be completed

cireza

There is a very cool alternative scene at the beginning of the game, when you replay a stage. You are supposed to fail at some point during a tutorial, but you can actually win (since you got upgrades) and they made an alternative scene specifically for this. I found that this was awesome.

Neff

The Evil Within is a Mikami classic. Absolutely loved it. My GOTY of 2014.
The Evil Within 2 is a solid title but lacks the variety of the first game, and tries to have its cake and eat it by flirting a little too hard with the Silent Hill formula, to its cost imo.
Tokyo Ghostwire is a fun romp but can get repetitive at times. Visually, there's nothing like it.
Still haven't finished Hi-Fi Rush but from what I played it seemed like a fun game and exactly the kind of thing Xbox needed to liven up its ditchwater-dull library of exclusives.

Arachnid

TEW1 and 2 are GOAT tier horror games. The first one, even with its jank, had some 10/10 pacing and presentation. The second was a master class in "open world" survival horror, and showed me that it can be done when I was previously extremely against the idea. Can't believe it's dead.

TEW2_Anima_GIF_3.gif
b42fd1860b5bcd0b7fbe165d3b18a32f.gif

tumblr_nej0xyywwm1r980sno1_1280.gif
dc17707a691b884fd409a1e23ce93b1fd25ae862_hq.gif

Mortisfacio

Banned
Loved the Evil Within games. Tried to love Ghostwire because the aesthetic really appeals to me, but I hated the actual game and never finished it. Hi-Fi I just don't enjoy the game style and dropped it after about 20 minutes, but I appreciate that Tango did it. I don't always need a game catered to me or "The masses" and appreciate their work on it.

SpearHea.:D

TEW 1 is one of best survival horror games of all time. Masterpiece.

TEW 2 Good game but pale in front of TEW 1.

Hifi rush yet to try

But TEW 1, man oh man. What a game that was. ruviks sister sequence on hardcore was nightmare stuff.

fart town usa

Gold Member
TEW1 and 2 are GOAT tier horror games. The first one, even with its jank, had some 10/10 pacing and presentation. The second was a master class in "open world" survival horror, and showed me that it can be done when I was previously extremely against the idea. Can't believe it's dead.

TEW2_Anima_GIF_3.gif
b42fd1860b5bcd0b7fbe165d3b18a32f.gif

tumblr_nej0xyywwm1r980sno1_1280.gif
dc17707a691b884fd409a1e23ce93b1fd25ae862_hq.gif
Yea, I need to go back to TEW2, the open world halted me but I'll see it through next time.

The first game is effing terrifying. I always took the limitations and sense of vulnerability as absolutely essential to the experience. Outside of the technical issues, I feel like complaints were there because gamers were upset that it wasn't an arcade style RE4 game. TEW is effing brilliant when you meet it at its level. NG+ rewards you with a more arcade vibe but you gotta earn it. I always respected the hell out of the game for that; experience the game proper, then blow off some steam. No scrubs allowed. I like when studios do that.

The Evil Within is a fucking amazing game. The Story was a mindfuck (literally), but it made sense if people actually read all the documents, took notice of all the clues and used their brain. Awesome enemy designs such as the box head looking motherfucker and Laura as well as Ruvik. The gameplay was tight and the match stick mechanic was so fucking good. One of my most replayed games ever.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Their games are not always perfect but they always make interesting and more importantly fun games.....this only studio I liked that Xbox owned....shame on on you MS.

Both Sony and MS destroyed their interesting Japanese studio because they are much more interested chasing profit over have more interesting variety game selection.

This gen I MUCH prefer 3rd party games over Sony and MS's first party exclusives.

Their games are not always perfect but they always make interesting and more importantly fun games.....this only studio I liked that Xbox owned....shame on on you MS.

Both Sony and MS destroyed their interesting Japanese studio because they are much more interested chasing profit over have more interesting variety game selection.

This gen I MUCH prefer 3rd party games over Sony and MS's first party exclusives.
same. this actually began for me last gen...

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Fell in love with Tango instantly with The Evil Within. It was so good and even if it had familiar survival horror elements, with nods to Resident Evil, it felt like a fresh take on the genre with its focus on stealth and the surreal nature of the story. Ruvik was a great villain and I will never forget the chapter where you are in his mansion and he's chasing you around. All the movie references were great too, particularly to one of my favorite movies "Seven", showing what a horror buff Shinji Mikami was. I even platinumed the game, which if you have done it or attempted to, is really fucking difficult. The hardest challenge I've ever taken on in a video game. That's how much I loved TEW.

The sequel was equally great. I had faith in John Johanas because he actually directed the two DLC episodes for The Evil Within and they were really good. It was with TEW2 that I understood that Johanas was something special and would be a great director in the future. TEW2 had some very cool moments, especially involving the photographer Stefano. It had great boss designs, Obscura is probably the creepiest addition to the franchise and is by far the most memorable creature in the game. I didn't mind the open nature and more exploring, and the story was touching with Sebastian trying to find his daughter. The narrative had a human heart at its core with grounded characters which is rare to see in a horror game.

Ghostwire Tokyo was another gem. The Tokyo setting was a refreshing change from the American suburbia TEW portrayed. I don't know much about japanese culture (I only really like their games) and GT was as much of a history lesson and deep dive into japanese mythology as it was a horror game. I loved reading every bit of information about all the crazy things you found. The combat system was cool as hell, with different abilities and the way you stole the ghost's "cores" from their bodies. It was fast paced and a great traversal system which made zipping around Tokyo very fun. I loved this game, even if they went overboard with the collectables. Dualsense integration was also top notch. One of the best games to utilize the feature.

HiFi Rush was a surprise indeed. I was initially sceptical because I wanted Tango to do horror. But when I played it I immediately fell in love with it. Rhythm games aren't really my jam but HiFi was so much fun and did it so well. The story was hilarious, best part of the game, facing off with the insane executives of the organization you are fighting. It had funny dialogue and Chai and Peppermint were a cute couple with a great chemistry who should've been in more games. The cel shaded graphics are fantastic and very well made, this game will stand the test time and outlive every other game this generation. John Johanas proved he could do both great horror and great rhythm character based action. A real talent.

I can't fucking believe Tango is gone. One of my favorite studios who had so much potential and so much talent. They made so many great games, that unfortunately didn't hit all the way up, but it shouldn't be a reason to kill them. This is the worst studio closure I've ever witnessed in my 35 years as a gamer. Nothing comes close to this. I'm so fucking upset over this I will never forgive Microsoft for this. A trash company run by heartless bastards.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The whole ordeal has made me reinstall Evil Within 1 and Ghostwire and I also copped Hi Fi. Wouldve reinstalled EW2 too but I JUST finished it for a third time about six months ago.

Same type of bummed feels that I got when Clover got sacked in 2007. And Hi Fi FEELS like something Clover wouldve done back in the day.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Yeah, going to replay The Evil Within 1 & 2 in Tangos honor. Maybe start working on the platinum for TEW2 and Ghostwire. HiFi I don't think I have the skills for it, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah, going to replay The Evil Within 1 & 2 in Tangos honor. Maybe start working on the platinum for TEW2 and Ghostwire. HiFi I don't think I have the skills for it, lol.
I've been streaming Ghostwire in their honor. Definitely gonna be revisiting TEW 1&2 sometime year and also plan on getting HiFi soon, though it kills me that MS will be making money off it. I had no idea it has licensed tracks so I just gotta suck it up and buy it before it gets delisted.

bender

What time is it?
Not that EW and Ghostwire are bad games, but those titles never clicked with me. I absolutely adore Hi-Fi Rush and it is the very rare instance were a Game Pass title had me purchase the game. I kind of want to double dip since it is on sale on PSN. I just have mixed emotions about spending money with Microsoft right now.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not that EW and Ghostwire are bad games, but those titles never clicked with me. I absolutely adore Hi-Fi Rush and it is the very rare instance were a Game Pass title had me purchase the game. I kind of want to double dip since it is on sale on PSN.
Nothing wrong with that at all brother. Wish more people would recognize that sometimes a game doesn't click, and that in itself doesn't mean a game is "bad."

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I've been streaming Ghostwire in their honor. Definitely gonna be revisiting TEW 1&2 sometime year and also plan on getting HiFi soon, though it kills me that MS will be making money off it. I had no idea it has licensed tracks so I just gotta suck it up and buy it before it gets delisted.

Yeah, HiFi is definitely getting delisted as soon as those music licenses expires. No way MS is renewing that when they've closed the studio.

FeralEcho

The Evil Within was my 2014 GOTY. It's an extremely underrated masterpiece.I loved the 2nd game as well only I rank it a tad lower than the first one due to not as memorable atmosphere but it's still an incredible game.

The first EW nailed the horror atmosphere to a tee. It's my favourite horror franchise after RE and Dead Space and I'm utterly gutted we won't get a 3rd game in the series.

Such an incredible studio destroyed by the greed and incompetence of a publisher who has no fucking clue what it's doing.

Pour one out for Tango Gameworks
Rip Pour One Out GIF

Thank you for all the great games you've provided us! ❤️

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I really enjoy the approach they took with Ghost Wires design and respect their execution with the product.

They whole interface feels very fluid and things made sense when switching to different powers/interactions/etc. I personally loved exploring the city/areas and for their take/effort in making a first person game; it didn't feel awkward or sophomoric. For their first (and now only) FPS style game it was executed extremely well. From shooting, to looting, hell even the jumping/floating felt great in a 1st person view.

I know that some folks didn't like the hunt and seek tasks, back tracking, etc but for me it was a fun immersive experience. Finished it on PC and played through again on PS5.

EW 1&2 were great but I watched a friend play those I didn't play them myself. Also for the record, I was not scared watching those games and at no point did I cover my face...any rumors to the contrary is chicanery and defamation of my impeccable masculinity.

Hi Fi Rush doesn't need any applause. It is simply a top tier action game that was executed to such a high level, that if you didn't know who developed the game, you might assume it was made by Platinum in their prime. Hi Fi Rush rivals their best work and is evident that it was created by a group of developers who were passionate about the genera and the end product reflects that.

That might not jive with everyone but I GUARANTEE if you ask any deep action game fan for a recommendation in the genera, HFR is among the top of their recommendations.

Aion002

Evil Within 1 is rough on the edges, but is awesome, while 2 is more polished, but a little generic and tried too many things at once and ended up inferior to 1, but I still enjoyed it... A third one could've been amazing.

Hi-Fi Rush is really fun and shows that they could make different things.

Also, that Ghost game didn't grab me, but it is quite pretty.

Last edited:
It was interesting to see a newcomer to the survival horror scene just as it was stagnating. The first Evil Within saw the developers find their footing and with the release of Evil Within II I was certain that the developers had finally found a new gameplay loop to advance the genre. No other horror game has given me such a sense of surreal deja vu and control at the same time. Out of all the horror and survival games to implement a bowgun/crossbow and stealth mechanics I vastly prefer this one.

I missed the boat on Ghostwire Tokyo completely, but I was blown away by the release of Hi-Fi Rush. It reminded me of the 4Kids Saturday morning cartoons in all the best ways and managed to polish combat and platforming to a shine. It was so good that it eclipsed my dislike for rhythm mechanics in action games.

P.S. It is a bit tempting to turn this thread into an Evil Within vs Evil Within II discussion, but I will abstain.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Quite the turnaround on Evil Within 1. I remember at release it was pretty much destroyed by reviewers for the jank and not being re4 2.0. Player reception at the time was lukewarm at best too. I always love to see people come to their senses, even if its years later.

kyussman

The Evil Within was a fantastic game,great atmosphere and variety of enviroments,the second one was good too although I missed the claustrophobic level design,making it more open diminished the creepy vibe the first game had.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Only played Hi-Fi Rush of the bunch, but it would've been my GOTY last year if BG3 didn't exist. Just a really special title that absolutely nails what it's going for.

Quite the turnaround on Evil Within 1. I remember at release it was pretty much destroyed by reviewers for the jank and not being re4 2.0. Player reception at the time was lukewarm at best too. I always love to see people come to their senses, even if its years later.
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Lions Gate

Fell in love with Tango instantly with The Evil Within. It was so good and even if it had familiar survival horror elements, with nods to Resident Evil, it felt like a fresh take on the genre with its focus on stealth and the surreal nature of the story. Ruvik was a great villain and I will never forget the chapter where you are in his mansion and he's chasing you around. All the movie references were great too, particularly to one of my favorite movies "Seven", showing what a horror buff Shinji Mikami was. I even platinumed the game, which if you have done it or attempted to, is really fucking difficult. The hardest challenge I've ever taken on in a video game. That's how much I loved TEW.

The sequel was equally great. I had faith in John Johanas because he actually directed the two DLC episodes for The Evil Within and they were really good. It was with TEW2 that I understood that Johanas was something special and would be a great director in the future. TEW2 had some very cool moments, especially involving the photographer Stefano. It had great boss designs, Obscura is probably the creepiest addition to the franchise and is by far the most memorable creature in the game. I didn't mind the open nature and more exploring, and the story was touching with Sebastian trying to find his daughter. The narrative had a human heart at its core with grounded characters which is rare to see in a horror game.

Ghostwire Tokyo was another gem. The Tokyo setting was a refreshing change from the American suburbia TEW portrayed. I don't know much about japanese culture (I only really like their games) and GT was as much of a history lesson and deep dive into japanese mythology as it was a horror game. I loved reading every bit of information about all the crazy things you found. The combat system was cool as hell, with different abilities and the way you stole the ghost's "cores" from their bodies. It was fast paced and a great traversal system which made zipping around Tokyo very fun. I loved this game, even if they went overboard with the collectables. Dualsense integration was also top notch. One of the best games to utilize the feature.

HiFi Rush was a surprise indeed. I was initially sceptical because I wanted Tango to do horror. But when I played it I immediately fell in love with it. Rhythm games aren't really my jam but HiFi was so much fun and did it so well. The story was hilarious, best part of the game, facing off with the insane executives of the organization you are fighting. It had funny dialogue and Chai and Peppermint were a cute couple with a great chemistry who should've been in more games. The cel shaded graphics are fantastic and very well made, this game will stand the test time and outlive every other game this generation. John Johanas proved he could do both great horror and great rhythm character based action. A real talent.

I can't fucking believe Tango is gone. One of my favorite studios who had so much potential and so much talent. They made so many great games, that unfortunately didn't hit all the way up, but it shouldn't be a reason to kill them. This is the worst studio closure I've ever witnessed in my 35 years as a gamer. Nothing comes close to this. I'm so fucking upset over this I will never forgive Microsoft for this. A trash company run by heartless bastards.
thank you for this literally made me cry :messenger_sad_relieved: still can't fucking believe tango is gone

TEW I don't like.

The second game sits amongst the best RE games though. Would definitely play it again one day.

Tokyo Ghostwire also wasn't a great game but the vibe/atmosphere was honestly a 10.

Waiting on Hi-Fi Rush to get a good sale price.

They were one of if not the only new devs to pop up over the last decade that had character, felt like someone you could root for, a name that stood out.

The Evil Within is one of my fav games from the last decade and the first game I played that actually felt was a return to 2000s style horror games, anticipating the later revival, it's too bad TEW itself didn't benefit from that.

I've yet to play Ghostwire or Hi Fi Rush, I'm both glad there's more Tango games I haven't played, while wishing I had already played them because that's going to be very bittersweet.

xrnzaaas

I enjoyed all of their horror games.

My only complaint with Evil Within 1 was the poor performance (I played on base PS4), the rest was awesome. The sequel lost me a bit with the semi-open level, but it was still very good and I always hoped to get another game. Ghostwire had super cool setting and atmosphere. That was more than enough to compensate for the gameplay not being very original when you "translated" magic to mechanics known from other games. I don't think TEW games got next-gen upgrades or I'd be replaying them right about now.

Unfortunately rhythm games aren't my cup of tea so I didn't finish Hifi Rush.

Last edited:

Fbh

Shout out to Ghostwire.
While the gameplay and specially the story were nothing special, the setting and art direction really made it one of the more memorable games I've played this gen.

It also has one of the more satisfying "finisher moves".
01E5DA8251C9DF8FC1DDAE887E099FDBE4F22521

Top Bottom