• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg rite said:
oreillyjv1.jpg

Your pundits are no match for us, for we are from the moon.

Grecco

How different is this than posting a billboard, or an ad on the street? you can get arrested for it now? how silly

Grecco said:
How different is this than posting a billboard, or an ad on the street? you can get arrested for it now? how silly

There was a campaign to remove the Citgo sign because Chavez called Bush the devil.

You also must get permission for a billboard.

pxleyes said:
Actually it's hardly an original idea. LED "throwies" as they are called started a number of years ago in NY. They sprouted out the abundance of LED technology and a social commentary on both technology and the steel cities we construct. This is just Turner taking the idea and applying a character to it. Genius marketing, yes; genius idea for the concept, eh. I love it none the less.

Not talking about the LED thing been done... I'm talking about using that character, even the act of censoring in the media it makes a statement because to censor it is bullshit its just a bunch of dots that really does not represent a middle finger, and yet it does so in not censoring it you still relay the message "fuk you" :D

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
He recorded himself placing the devices so that will make a nice "Exhibit A" for the trial. He's about to become the poster boy for a law that people probably didn't know existed until today. If anybody caught the URL, please post it.

pxleyes

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
Not talking about the LED thing been done... I'm talking about using that character, even the act of censoring in the media it makes a statement because to censor it is bullshit its just a bunch of dots that really does not represent a middle finger, and yet it does so in not censoring it you still relay the message "fuk you" :D

O ya, I've already posted about the thing on my digital workshop blog. We will be talking about this like crazy tomorrow.

edit: Um, greenpanda, lack of taste much? I'd take that down.

Jado

Banned
This is funny stuff.

I'm in NYC and saw one a few weeks walking at night. My initial reaction was that it was part of a storefront.. a bar I think.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Was watching this on my local news. It looks like a ****en light bright you would play with as a kid. The cops and various authorites were doing their jobs but ****, all the politicians that are "outraged" need to get just shut the **** up :lol

I dunno, if you guys don't find something unsettling about an artist being arrested for putting up lite brite magnets of a character from a popular cartoon... I just don't know.

This is a far cry from intentionally inciting fear. He didn't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. He put some litebrites up on some metal surfaces that had a cartoon character on them, and was paid by a company to do so. If there's actually a conviction for this, your system officially stinks, dangerously so.

A similar, but much smaller, case occured in NYC shortly after 9/11. Some art-school kid left little packages emblazoned with the words "fear" and "terror" in a couple of downtown subway stations. Can't remember what happened to the kid.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno, if you guys don't find something unsettling about an artist being arrested for putting up lite brite magnets of a character from a popular cartoon... I just don't know.

This is a far cry from intentionally inciting fear. He didn't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. He put some litebrites up on some metal surfaces that had a cartoon character on them, and was paid by a company to do so. If there's actually a conviction for this, your system officially stinks, dangerously so.

Exactly.

There's a conviction that ought to come out of this, and it's the mayor, the chief of police, and every other shithead bureaucrat who created a major panic out of this, disrupted the city for an entire day, and arrested an innocent man. They have failed in the duties of their office and broken the laws they swore to uphold. Lock the bastards up and throw away the key. These people are absolute scumbags, and America and its citizens have no need of them.

Fu.ck the government.

White Man

Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah, exactly. If he is convicted, America's even worse off than I think it is. ****, if there's a big lawsuit over this, that'd also be crazy. Just think of the harassment the "suspect" is probably facing in custody right now. They're probably treating him like a piece of shit.

OK, so Photoshops aside, what's our plan of action? What should we do to get this guy free and throw the bastards responsible for this out of their offices?

BlueTsunami

The Governors office and Thomas Monino keep saying they're going to prosecute/sue this dude. Its as if they're trying to stuff it to him or something. **** I hate Massachusetts sometimes.

CONTACT THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE:

State House
Office of the Governor
Office of the Lt. Governor
Room 360
Boston, MA 02133

Phone: (617) 725-4005
(888) 870-7770 (instate use only)

FAX: (617) 727-9725

CONTACT THE MAYOR:

Mayor's Office
1 City Hall Plaza
Boston, MA 02201

Telephone: 617.635.4500

Fax: 617.635.3496

I'm calling to express my feelings about this tomorrow.

Greenpanda said:
Exactly.

There's a conviction that ought to come out of this, and it's the mayor, the chief of police, and every other shithead bureaucrat who created a major panic out of this, disrupted the city for an entire day, and arrested an innocent man. They have failed in the duties of their office and broken the laws they swore to uphold. Lock the bastards up and throw away the key. These people are absolute scumbags, and America and its citizens have no need of them.

Fu.ck the government.

At what point did any politician incite panic?

In fact, there was no panic.

Your last bit there shows your real agenda. They could have arrested Osama and youd still bitch

jamesinclair said:

Your last bit there shows your real agenda. They could have arrested Osama and youd still bitch
Well, they did shut down multiple modes of transportation.

Sanjuro

jamesinclair said:

He didnt tell us apparently what the source of the ads were. Also the ads have been around for over a week in some locations.

There was PLENTY of panic in MA. Such as umm...closing most of Boston.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Anyone remember the intro monologue from Beavis & Butthead?

"This could get you arrested, or possibly even deported."

Apparently struggling artist is from Belarus and got to stay because of political turmoil.

4688074vm1.gif

:lol

CajoleJuice said:
Well, they did shut down multiple modes of transportation.

the news just reminded us about what happened in LA, when bomb squads blew up newspaper boxes because of wiring, caused by a Mission Imposible ad.

Anyone know if there was a lawsuit there?

BlueTsunami

I love how the local news have been calling these things "packages" as in...a box that contains a bomb :lol. This whole day has been full of FUD and no one getting the info straight.

BlueTsunami said:
I love how the local news have been calling these things "packages" as in...a box that contains a bomb :lol. This whole day has been full of FUD and no one getting the info straight.

Why get the info straight when the FUD triples your ratings?

Through the looking glass, dogs lying down with cats, etc. etc.

Welcome to the 21st century.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jamesinclair said:
How the hell could I miss I profit oppertunity like this? The police got 39, so there must have been at least 50 total.

Damn me.

At the 11 news, I heard there were like 20 still out there.

Time to go huntin'.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Why the hell is this guy getting the blame? Wasnt he paid to do this?

And they ****ing DETONATED these things?

Cartoon Network promo tied to Boston bomb scare

BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- A marketing campaign gone awry was apparently behind the shutdown of Boston's major roadways and subway lines on Wednesday after promotional devices installed around the city triggered a day-long bomb scare.
In an e-mailed statement circulated to the media, the Cartoon Network, owned by Time Warner acknowledged placing devices containing magnetic lights throughout Boston as part of a national promotional campaign for its Adult Swim animated show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

The network added it has placed similar devices in 10 other cities: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore.; and Austin, Texas. The devices, which it called "billboards," have been in place for up to three weeks, it said.
"Parent company Turner Broadcasting is in contact with local and federal law enforcement on the exact locations of the billboards,"
wrote Turner Broadcasting executive Shirley Powell, in her e-mail. Cartoon Network is a unit of Turner Broadcasting.
"We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger," Powell wrote.
By evening rush hour Wednesday, law enforcement officials had reportedly identified at least nine of the devices in the Boston area. The first, found early Wednesday morning, was detonated by a bomb squad at a subway station in Somerville, Mass., next to heavily-traveled Interstate 93.

The subsequent discovery of suspicious packages resulted in the temporary closure of three main bridges connecting Cambridge, Mass., to Boston, in addition to sections of Boston's Storrow Drive, I-93 and the Massachusetts Turnpike.
Another suspicious package was reportedly found near the Tufts-New England Medical Center, a major Boston medical facility.
Subway services on the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority's Red and Orange lines were also suspended temporarily. The U.S. Coast Guard temporarily blocked passage on the Charles River and closed locks controlling water flow from the Charles to Boston Harbor, according to local reports.

"At this time, our office is involved with an investigation with other federal and state authorities to determine if any criminal charges should be filed and, if so, against whom," said Emily LaGrassa, a spokeswoman for Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley.
Gov. Deval Patrick issued a statement that thanked law enforcement while chastising Turner Broadcasting: "I am deeply dismayed to learn that many of the devices are a part of a marketing campaign by Turner Broadcasting. This stunt has caused considerable disruption and anxiety in our community. I understand that Turner Broadcasting has purported to apologize for this. I intend nonetheless to consult with the attorney general and other advisors about what recourse we may have." End of Story
Val Brickates Kennedy is a reporter for MarketWatch in Boston.

Slurpy said:
Why the hell is this guy getting the blame? Wasnt he paid to do this?

And they ****ing DETONATED these things?

The first one was sprayed with water, to disable to circuit. Thats "detonated"

BlueTsunami

jamesinclair said:
The first one was sprayed with water, to disable to circuit. Thats "detonated"

It actually exploded though :lol. I believe it was like a canon not like just spraying it with water with an ol' hose.

teepo said:
this was funny until the arrest.

write/call the mayor & governor. i posted contact information for their offices upthread.

if you're in Boston, there's also a link to a protest going on tomorrow.

Phoenix

IJoel said:
What's funny about this is that such scenario wouldn't be too far off course for an ATHF episode, obviously starring the mooninites.

Oh I'm sure this will become an episode :)

Phoenix

Posted on Adult Swim website.

012907_covers_04.jpg

So Bush, you've panic'd the crap out of the country to the point where everyone is considered a terrorist and everything is a terrorist attack.

mission-accomplished.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom