• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Revolutionary said:
When the fuck did he touch gloves? It's a hug, not the usual "alright, game on" touching of gloves. You'd have to be the most delusional, full-of-himself retard to think of that as touching gloves.

I'll admit this form of apologizing probably doesn't adhere to the rules of boxing (god forbid you apologize in the beginning of a round), but christ, it was a fucking apology. To take advantage of any apology in any other manner or sport is inviting yourself to be called a fucking asshole. Oh wait, except in boxing because he's famous lolol

He already apologized in the corner with a huge and kiss (wtf). Then they touched gloves again while being separated. The ref says "Lets go" and the dude wants to hug again?

Going by the video, this is on Ortiz. He already apologized, its time to fight and protect yourself after the ref restarts.

aktham

The headbutt was illegal (and it looked intentional, out of frustration). What Mayweather did was unsportsmanlike, but perfectly legal. Both boxers used their heads. Ortiz used the outside of his head and Mayweather used what's inside his head.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Revolutionary said:
Oh wait, except in boxing because he's famous lolol

Protect yourself at all times... Anything else isnt important.

Zep

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Just got back from watching it.

Ortiz's head butt was bad but it was acknowledged by him and he was stripped of a point for it.

What Mayweather did was busch league and I like Floyd, but he lost points in my book tonight for that shit and the antics with Merchant that followed.

Mayweather was winning the fight, there was no need for him to go out like that.

You might have had too much to drink. Go to bed BFF.

And Merchant didn't come off any better in that squabble..

I thought when Cortez ushered the two fighters to the center they were about to do that typical "touch gloves" stuff before breaking again and commencing the fight.

This is why I like the UFC. Break up, ref claps, and says "fight" aloud so everyone knows that the fight is resuming.

Ortiz is stupid to think that Mayweather would not take advantage of the situation and not protecting himself, and Mayweather is pretty douchy for taking advantage of the situation the way he did, even though he knew that Ortiz was trying to apologize.

From how I saw it, Cortez didn't treat the scenario well at all. (Didn't really analyze the replays so what I'm going to say will change on the course of time.)

EDIT ADDED: Upon seeing footage my opinion has changed quite a bit. Yup, Ortiz was mainly just naive.
Didn't send the fighters to opposite neutral corners right after the headbutt and told them to stay there. Didn't really usher Ortiz during the point deduction. Ushered the fighters to the center to commence the fight, even though it would be better if he just said "fight" while they were in neutral corners. And of course...NOT KEEPING AN EYE ON THE FIGHTERS.

Personally, I didn't know the fight was resuming so I expected a no contest. The punch was legal, but I didn't like how it came to be. Yeah...to the UFC!!

EDIT ADDED: The Mayweather/Merchant thing at the end made me laugh.

Zep said:
You might have had too much to drink. Go to bed BFF.

I don't drink.

And Merchant didn't come off any better in that squabble..

Agreed but Money May is the one that provoked the encounter when Merchant was just doing his job.

I'm not debating the legality of his knockout punch--it was legal.

The shit that had everyone up in arms was HOW it went down--Mayweather was already winning the fight.

There was no need for the faux hug out with Ortiz to the sucker punch.

No one I watched it with respected that shit and it was clear from the crowd reaction in Vegas, they didn't either.

Blackace

ryutaro's mama said:
I don't drink.

Agreed but Money May is the one that provoked the encounter when Merchant was just doing his job.

I'm not debating the legality of his knockout punch--it was legal.

The shit that had everyone up in arms was HOW it went down--Mayweather was already winning the fight.

There was no need for the faux hug out with Ortiz to the sucker punch.

No one I watched it with respected that shit and it was clear from the crowd reaction in Vegas, they didn't either.

Forget that... Ortiz was trying to harm him with that headbutt why should Mayweather have to man hug that fool when the fight is going?

JLG-

Ortiz speaks:

Ortiz claims Cortez called for a break, so he had his guard down and then Mayweather fouled him with two punches.

"I fouled Floyd, I apologized in the ring and apologized after the fight as well. I thought the ref called a break and I am pretty sure he did and then I was like 'whoa, whoa,' and then I woke up after. I started it, but I got my point taken away. I was letting him come in because he wasn't hurting me at all. He doesn't have a stiff right. I was looking at Joe. I thought he said 'break,' and BOOM - I guess it was time for bed. In this case he connected with what I believe was a foul," Ortiz said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/victor-ortiz-joe-cortez-said-break-i-fouled--43911

That head-butt was vicious, and I can understand Floyd being pissed about it. But anyone saying he gave Ortiz a chance to guard is kidding themselves. Floyd knew he was taking the cheapest legal shot ever.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
That head-butt was vicious, and I can understand Floyd being pissed about it. But anyone saying he gave Ortiz a chance to guard is kidding themselves. Floyd knew he was taking the cheapest legal shot ever.

Watch the vid. They took a short break then the fight had started.

ryutaro's mama said:
Keep this shit in Wrassle-GAF.
tumblr_lnbkiiL0OM1qg26co.jpg

Blackace said:
Forget that... Ortiz was trying to harm him with that headbutt why should Mayweather have to man hug that fool when the fight is going?

He seemed sorry and was already stripped a point for it.

The truth is, there is validity on both sides of this.

Mayweather was legal with his strike to Ortiz but he had to know that it would be met with controversy.

It's not shocking that a lot of people were incensed over that.

But some thought it was great. A friend of mine on FB posted this afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KoS7qufkM

Heh.

DiscoJer

To me it looked like Ortiz was playing some sort of game, by trying to hug him so many times.

The first punch didn't even look that hard, it was almost like, get the hell off of me and fight already.

He had time to put his fists up for the second one (which was hard), but chose not to for whatever reason.

The M.O.B

JLG- said:
Ortiz speaks:

Ortiz claims Cortez called for a break, so he had his guard down and then Mayweather fouled him with two punches.

"I fouled Floyd, I apologized in the ring and apologized after the fight as well. I thought the ref called a break and I am pretty sure he did and then I was like 'whoa, whoa,' and then I woke up after. I started it, but I got my point taken away. I was letting him come in because he wasn't hurting me at all. He doesn't have a stiff right. I was looking at Joe. I thought he said 'break,' and BOOM - I guess it was time for bed. In this case he connected with what I believe was a foul," Ortiz said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/victor-ortiz-joe-cortez-said-break-i-fouled--43911

If the Ref really called a break, this victory is gonna have an asterisk for sure. (probably will anyways).

Zep

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
He seemed sorry and was already stripped a point for it.

The truth is, there is validity on both sides of this.

Mayweather was legal with his strike to Ortiz but he had to know that it would be met with controversy.

It's not shocking that a lot of people were incensed over that.

But some thought it was great. A friend of mine on FB posted this afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KoS7qufkM

Heh.

I just found it shocking how apologetic he was...And in Floyds case, he had a lot more to lose than Ortiz in that scenario.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Holy fuck the announcers were all over mayweathers dick. I'm surprised they didn't use a dental dam.

And we need some younger refs, or at least ones who are focused on the fight at all times.

Can't wait until manny gets the chance...

bluestuff

speaking of BS, I have a question for boxing-GAF

I have been watching boxing 4 years now, and I simply don't understand why the official weigh-in is a day earlier then the fight. I mean Ortiz managed to stunningly gain 17 pounds in a day, thereby making the entire point of weight classes sorta pointless...

Shouldn't he be penalized/disqualified for being basically a weight division higher?

harSon

Banned
I just rewatched the fight. Outside of Ortiz's final flurry that he followed up with a headbutt, he damn well missed nearly every punch he threw (ie. hit gloves, arm, elbow or nothing at all). While Mayweather was landing jabs and his right punch at will. Even in the early rounds when he's typically conservative, he was doing whatever he wanted to Ortiz. And in the 3rd and 4th rounds, when he typically begins to go into full gear, he was tapping Ortiz with some serious punches at will. The fight was not close, it was completely in Mayweather's favor.

And then I counted 3 intentional headbutts by Ortiz, although the first two attempts missed. Dude gets absolutely no respect or sympathy from me. Boxing is a dangerous enough sport to have to worry about headbutts with the chrome of the skull.

And Mayweather's victory was perfectly legal and justified. Ortiz already hugged mayweather and kissed him in the corner, then the ref flagged them to fight, and instead of fighting, Ortiz goes in for another hug and kiss? It's his fault he wasn't ready, as Mayweather said, "Protect yourself at all times."

And Mayweather blowing up on Merchant was perfectly justified. From past interviews I've seen from him, it's pretty clear that he doesn't like Mayweather. Not liking the guy is perfectly fine, but don't fucking show it, you're supposed to be an impartial commentator, not a fucking cheerleader. Dude also has a huge hard on for Pacquiao and he's not afraid to flaunt it.

harSon said:
The fight was not close, it was completely in Mayweather's favor.

Which is exactly why people felt the sucker punch was excessive and unnecessary.

Mayweather was already winning the fight without resorting to busch league tactics.

harSon

Banned
Devolution said:
Mayweather has no class, watched the way he talked to Larry Merchant my god. What a brat.

Merchant has been a dick to Mayweather in a past, and obviously had an agenda when he was being ridiculously aggressive and nasty with this interview. It wasn't the best way to handle the situation but it was justified IMO.

smurfx

get some go again
bluestuff said:

I have been watching boxing 4 years now, and I simply don't understand why the official weigh-in is a day earlier then the fight. I mean Ortiz managed to stunningly gain 17 pounds in a day, thereby making the entire point of weight classes sorta pointless...

Shouldn't he be penalized/disqualified for being basically a weight division higher?
there are risks to cutting that much weight. if you don't do it right you will end up feeling like shit even if you rehydrate yourself. most boxers end up putting a ton of weight back the next day as well so that is why they don't make stipulations banning this. there are times when they stipulate that the fighter must weigh the same the day of the fight. i believe paquiao/de la hoya had such a clause.

harSon said:
Merchant has been a dick to Mayweather in a past, and obviously had an agenda when he was being ridiculously aggressive and nasty with this interview. It wasn't the best way to handle the situation but it was justified IMO.
acting like a brat was justified? why didn't he just tell larry that he didn't want to answer any of his questions because of his bias against him? it would of all ended if he did that but instead he acted like an idiot.

harSon

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Which is exactly why people felt the sucker punch was excessive and unnecessary.

Mayweather was already winning the fight without resorting to busch league tactics.

Maybe he was pissed at the fact that Ortiz tried to clock him with the chrome of his head three times. And these weren't simple headbutts where the fighter cocks his head back and forward. He fucking bent down and tried to thrust the chrome of his head into Mayweather's jaw. That's beyond dirty and potentially dangerous to Mayweather's health.

Ortiz is scum as far as I'm concerned.

bluestuff said:

The catch weight rule was originally was ruled to weigh on the day of the fight, but later was changed to a day before since promoters and TV guys want to make a spectacle of the moment.

But having it the day before, benefits people cutting the weight since it allows for people to fight under their weight class without being malnourished or dehydrated before a fight.

polyh3dron said:
Keith Kizer needs to retroactively overturn this victory. He has the authority to do so.

I think that would all have to depend on Joe Cortez and whether or not he did, in fact, call for a break. Either way, he looks incompetent.

justjohn

Mayweather's ability to make these fools froth at the mouth with their hatred is his best quality in my opinion.

fantastic win by the way. well done and keep making 'em mad.

Zep

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Keith Kizer needs to retroactively overturn this victory. He has the authority to do so.

Nah.

Kevin Iole said:
Talked to Keith Kizer of NV Commission. Cortez pointed to time keeper and said time in. Punches were legal, according to Kizer.

justjohn said:
Mayweather's ability to make these fools froth at the mouth with their hatred is his best quality in my opinion.

fantastic win by the way. well done and keep making 'em mad.

That's such an awesome post, really.

I like the way you put everyone into a neat little box so it fits your argument.

Anyone that didn't like the outcome of TONIGHT's controversial fight = frothing at the mouth hater of Mayweather

I like Mayweather but I disliked the way he handled the end of the fight.

Oh no!

Your neat little box doesn't account for me.

:(

Zep

Banned
Don't think hes talking about you BFF. If you go back a few pages, people were getting M-A-D and it was pretty pathetic. Shit, someone even told me, "I don't know him like that!" I thought I was really talking to Ghostface Killah for a second!

Yo Gotti

Banned
Gotta say, before I was unsure about Mayweathers right to that win, but after seeing that the fight was fully back in action before Mayweather threw those punchers he was 100% in the right. I don't see how anyone can think Ortiz reaching out for a hug before putting up his hands is acceptable at all, ever. That shit's a mockery of the sport.

Mayweather set a damn good example for keeping that bullshit out of the ring tonight.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
facepalm007 said:
"Time was in and the fighter has to have his guard up. Mayweather did nothing wrong."
I never really thought mayweather did wrong. The ref did wrong. I guess he won't acknowledge his mistake of NOT EVEN WATCHING THE FIGHT.

If the ref did his job, we wouldn't be talking about this stuff and it would have ended without controversy.

Satyamdas

Banned
Floyd stans are hilarious. Dude could rape their mother, rob them of every penny, and kill their puppy and they would still rant and rave about how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have to hand it to him, creating fans THAT fucking rabid is a talent in and of itself.

IrishNinja

Zep said:
Don't think hes talking about you BFF. If you go back a few pages, people were getting M-A-D and it was pretty pathetic. Shit, someone even told me, "I don't know him like that!" I thought I was really talking to Ghostface Killah for a second!

yeah, it was so pathetic the way he said that after you told him how he'd react to a different scenario & why he should "get off his fucking high horse", followed by you taking the high road and telling him to shut the fuck up. which, of course, he followed by basically asking if he'd offended you and asking you to calm down. really classy to bring that bullshit up again, and good call, that's just like Starks!

so it's safe to say you know about as much about wu-tang as you do boxing, huh? don't debate it; i'm correct.

/amidoingthisright

Satyamdas said:
Floyd stans are hilarious. Dude could rape their mother, rob them of every penny, and kill their puppy and they would still rant and rave about how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have to hand it to him, creating fans THAT fucking rabid is a talent in and of itself.

Yet on the other end of the spectrum, Floyd haters act like he did rape their mother, robbed them of every penny, and killed their puppy.

Funny how that works.

Zep

Banned
IrishNinja said:
yeah, it was so pathetic the way he said that after you told him how he'd react to a different scneario. after telling him to get off his fucking high horse, you then took the high road and told him to shut the fuck up, which he followed by basically asking if he'd offended you and asking you to calm down. really classy to bring that bullshit up again, and good call, that's just like Starks!

so it's safe to say you know about as much about wu-tang as you do boxing, huh? don't debate it; i'm correct.

/amidoingthisright

Thanks for taking up another mans argument. Everything I called him on was legit(even telling him to shut the fuck up).

Go back to being irrelevant.

Blackace

Bad_Boy said:
Holy fuck the announcers were all over mayweathers dick. I'm surprised they didn't use a dental dam.

And we need some younger refs, or at least ones who are focused on the fight at all times.

Can't wait until manny gets the chance...

The announcers were talking shit about Mayweather the whole fight... Talking about how he ain't thrown a combo since Blair left office and stuff..

Blackace

Satyamdas said:

Not a fan of Mayweather but this is really stupid...

IrishNinja

Zep said:
Thanks for taking up another mans argument. Everything I called him on was legit(even telling him to shut the fuck up).

no problem, bro. thanks for adding your own brand of passive-aggressive nonsense to this thread, it was really lacking in that before. it's definitely worth more than your logic, which was to visit another man's intentions and tell him what he was thinking, then cuss him like you're 12 when called on it. that was neat.

I'm not a fan of Floyd and his career since he left 135 but Ortiz got what he deserved. Protect yourselves at all times isn't said for fun. Keep all that fucking hugging for sparring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom