• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: President Trump plans to end (DACA) program tomorrow

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My guess would be if you are undocumented and protected by DACA, now is the time to move to a state that you expect would resist INS and take measures at a state level to protect you. California would probably be the most promising in that regard but my guess is New Mexico is OK too. I'd get the fuck out of any of the states suing to end DACA. I know that sounds flip ("blow up your life and move to california") but I think realistically it's a smart move while the wheels aren't yet turning

Edited out due to illegality. That's unfortunate, I had hoped this would be a legal method of legitimately helping people.

If a person entered the US without inspection they are not eligible for residency through marriage. Only people who entered the United States through a legal point of entry and with some sort of Visa before they became out of status are eligible for change of status. The only way someone can change status with no inspection is through Asylum, but that's a very difficult process that makes residency through marriage like a piece of cake even if wasn't genuine marriage.

My guess would be if you are undocumented and protected by DACA, now is the time to move to a state that you expect would resist INS and take measures at a state level to protect you. California would probably be the most promising in that regard but my guess is New Mexico is OK too. I'd get the fuck out of any of the states suing to end DACA. I know that sounds flip ("blow up your life and move to california") but I think realistically it's a smart move while the wheels aren't yet turning

Oregon is a lot cheaper and the whole state is a sanctuary. Even road police checkpoints are illegal.

Composer

I was a DACA recipient. Just reading all this news for the last 2 days has affected my sleep so greatly. I am not going be affected but I'm sick to my stomach regardless.

Sure, but Trump and Pence are exponentially worse. A President Ryan is a real possibility, we can't snap fingers and choose whoever.

I'd take a relatively ineffective, unhinged horrible person as president who is having difficulty achieving the majority of his agenda even within his own party over a skilled political operative, who is also a horrible person, and is good at getting stuff passed.

Nista

Well we have a spare bedroom in the house, if any DACA folks want to hide out in CA for awhile if shit goes down. This whole thing is massively awful, and I wish Congress had the balls to fix immigration once and for all, and give amnesty to everyone. I'm glad my SO became a perm resident back in the days when it wasn't so onerous.

conpfreak

If a person entered the US without inspection they are not eligible for residency through marriage. Only people who entered the United States through a legal point of entry and with some sort of Visa before they became out of status are eligible for change of status. The only way someone can change status with no inspection is through Asylum, but that's a very difficult process that makes residency through marriage like a piece of cake even if wasn't genuine marriage.

Keep in mind there is a way around this. DACA recipients can apply for Advanced Parole via the I-131 Travel Document. Advanced Parole would allow them to legally enter the US while on DACA. However, they just don't hand them out. You need a humanitarian, education, or an employment reason to get one.

With that said, Trump looks to be moving on DACA within days. So there isn't enough time to do this and I really wouldn't advise anyone on DACA to do this until Congress sorts DACA out and tries to force Trump to give in on this.

studyguy

Disgusting, dangling the fate of hundreds of thousands of people again till Tuesday.
Make a fucking decision or don't. Some of congress has already come down on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flip anyway.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
White House Press Briefing just went live; expecting some questions about DACA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqBzKqxhRA

Edit: An official announcement will happen on Tuesday Sept 5th, according to Huckabee-Sanders.

So it's Paris accord all over again. Is he really going to announce the status quo remains unchanged despite his agenda being fuck anyone that isn't rich, white, and desperate to wilter any funding to support tax breaks for his corp. allies?

Barzul

So it's Paris accord all over again. Is he really going to announce the status quo remains unchanged despite his agenda being fuck anyone that isn't rich, white, and desperate to wilter any funding to support tax breaks for his corp. allies?

Well the difference between this an Paris is that the impact will be immediately felt. Dreamers are also very popular across the board, moreso with Dems and Independents.

So it's not happening today?

No,on Tuesday the 5th.

I just saw CA AG Xavier Bacerra on CNN give an interview saying ca is ready to fight trump if he gets rid of DACA. So this is good news, good ole CA is ready to throw down with this orange fucker.

The panel also was discussing how a strong majority of Americans are behind DREAMERS and how most republicans are ok with how DACA is currently run.

There's some bipartisan effort to introduce the Bridge act that allows path to citizenship for DREAMERS.

It looks like by trump threatening DACA, we may become citizens lol.

I'm much less stressed out than yesterday. I'm still really worried but at least I can eat and focus. I had a long talk with my brother, a fellow DACA recipient, and he's not really worried. This is gonna backfire on orange fucktard so hard. We will make it. There's hope. Also, CA is fucking awesome. No fucking way there gonna deport my brown ass from here.

Bridge act info:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/31/coffman-congress-immigrant-dreamers-242227

so this didnt happen

He said earlier that he would make a decision "Friday or maybe this weekend" and he uttered some gibberish like "we love the dreamers! we love everybody!" He just doesn't give a fuck that he's toying with a bunch of people's lives.

Gorger

The guy straight up playing with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people then leaves them hanging in some deranged psychopathic cliffhanger just to let them suffer a few extra days before he decides their fates like he's fucking Emperor Commodus thumbing his hand before sentencing. Fucking evil prick probably gets off on this shit.

Darknight

I knew this day would come when he won.

Worst timeline for real. I remember those asshole Republicans saying Obama years began the 10000 years of darkness. Well seems they were projecting yet fucking again. This shit is so horrible for every damn minority group here in the US.

I'm still pissed women and some minorities voted for this scum. Like way to fuck us up with your self hate.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The guy straight up playing with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people then leaves them hanging in some deranged psychopathic cliffhanger just to let them suffer a few extra days before he decides their fates like he's fucking Emperor Commodus thumbing his hand before sentencing. Fucking evil prick probably gets off on this shit.

Yup, this shit is agony, I can't go even a second without thinking about it. Last night my dreams were filled with nothing but DACA. Many in the GOP are telling him not to repeal it, and even one of the people who signed that vile letter has backed out, so I hope he sees that there is nothing to be gained from this, no one gets richer, no one becomes happier, all this will do is ruin millions of lives.

In the waning weeks of his presidency, as President Barack Obama was set to leave office and cede it to president-to-be Donald Trump, Obama implored his successor to protect the beneficiaries of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program in a private conversation the two men had prior to the inauguration.

Just a few weeks later, in the final days of his presidency, Obama said more bluntly that any effort from the new administration to target Dreamers would lead him to speak out publicly—something he has largely avoided in the first months of the new administration.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/will-trumps-daca-repeal-cross-obamas-red-line

Scirrocco

Yup, this shit is agony, I can't go even a second without thinking about it. Last night my dreams were filled with nothing but DACA. Many in the GOP are telling him not to repeal it, and even one of the people who signed that vile letter has backed out, so I hope he sees that there is nothing to be gained from this, no one gets richer, no one becomes happier, all this will do is ruin millions of lives.

And He's dragging it out it all for ratings. It's sick. I'm so sorry for you.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I find it mind boggling that he distracts us from shit with more shit.

Unfortunately, racism like this is a lot like guns and abortion. People have already decided on their side or to just not care about it, and there's very little short of suggesting black people were better as slaves to change people's opinions.

This stuff is hugely important and should not be ignored, and is probably even more important than the Russia stuff, but it makes perfect sense that trump would politically prefer the discussion to be about anything race related.

In general Mexican Americans born in the US North of San Antonio know very little Spanish. On top of that, Mexican nationals tend to view Mexican Americans as traitors for not wanting to be part of Mexico. Imagine being deported like this.

Ive been here exactly 25 years and the thought of having to go back to where I came for makes me want to puke. I have very few ties and absolutely no idea what the culture is like or how to navigate the infrastructure. Over time it just feels like a death sentance.

I imagine too many people, too old to properly learn Spanish for instance, and they are deported.
How are they going to manage adapting to school? To high school? What if they want to attend college in their respective countries? I know for a fact that depending on the place, they wouldn't qualify. A scholarship? Good luck with that, I think it was UNAM that said they wouldn't have enough room to accommodate Dreamers trying to sign up, correct me if I'm wrong.
Then let's say they are old enough to want to teach English in Puebla, or Mexico City. I hear they give priority to Americans, because they were born in the US and have proper pronunciation and diction and whatever. Fucking hell.
Might as well get a job doing whatever just to pay the damn bills and be able to eat tortillas. Some of my relatives with business of their own have a hard enough time doing that, I mean, that's why people leave everything behind to try their luck here. Unlike coal country that wants the jobs to come to them.

Those are obstacles that I image can be surmounted, eventually, and with luck. Lot of luck. And I remember the humiliation and how hard it was at 12 to learn English to get out into "normal" classes, then honor classes and then AP classes. Then I think about anyone sent back that has to relearn Spanish, and then throw away all progress made here in the States.

"The President encourages legal immigration"

While he supported some bullshit bill cutting legal immigration in half?

For real.
I don't believe, but damn do I pray for those people. Dreamers, refugees, immigrants.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I find it mind boggling that he distracts us from shit with more shit.

I think the whole DACA thing being delayed is to take attention from harvey and while also trying to make Harvey more about him as the flood waters go down

It's all about attention for him. The Russia stuff he probably goes back and forth on whether he likes it or not

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So haven't read the whole thread but Trump seems up pull these stunts when something has gone down on his end. What do we think triggered him his time?

shiba5

Maryland too.

So haven't read the whole thread but Trump seems up pull these stunts when something has gone down on his end. What do we think triggered him his time?

Just look at all the Russia stuff that leaked the last couple of days. Maybe other houses were raided too. Also his son is supposed to go in front of the senate committee next week and give testimony.

Zenner

I think the whole DACA thing being delayed is to take attention from harvey

Maybe, but personally I believe the DACA announcement's been pushed to Tuesday to get past Labor Day and all the organized marches & rallies that are happening on Monday.

On another note, he will definitely end it as he makes all of his decisions based on Fox News. It sucks that he is going to potentially ruin the lives of 800,000 people including some of my friends. Not only that he will end up losing billions of dollars that go to the us government in taxes and social security being paid in by the people under the program. I just hope when he does it this is end for Trump and people riot in the streets.

WaterAstro

I remember watching this vice bit about a Korean being deported. The situation is similar to DACA, I think. The Korean man was a Korean war refugee that was adopted in America, but because they never gave him citizenship when he was young, he didn't realize he wasn't a citizen and got deported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAGvfeGrqc

McLovin

Fuck I really need to read shit through. I got excited for a second. I read the title up to plans to end and immediately thought HIS PRESIDENCY??!
I remember watching this vice bit about a Korean being deported. The situation is similar to DACA, I think. The Korean man was a Korean war refugee that was adopted in America, but because they never gave him citizenship when he was young, he didn't realize he wasn't a citizen and got deported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAGvfeGrqc
I remember reading about him, it was really fucked up. It didn't help his case that he had a criminal background, but still. He didn't even know Korean iirc.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Maybe, but personally I believe the DACA announcement's been pushed to Tuesday to get past Labor Day and all the organized marches & rallies that are happening on Monday.

I don't think trump knows anything about those marches. It is purely about putting attention on himself. The marches and rallies will already be trying to sway his opinion as their primary goal now probably anyway

Top Bottom