• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

By Odin's Beard! So, you want to read some THOR comics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jVOpB.jpg

With the movie less than a week away (in the US, anyway, and already out in other countries) I'm sure that there are now a lot of curious GAFers out there looking to explore the adventurous world of Marvel's mightiest Avenger. But where to start? Which Thor comics are the best? The worst? And how in the heck does a Norse god of thunder fit into continuity anyway? Let the friendly folks of Comic-GAF prove their worth with useful recommendations, expert opinions and suggestions!

I'll start things off with the basics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oSPBN.jpg

iQFnX.jpg
4bx8o.jpg
uwD0G.jpg
hvzyg.jpg

+ Thor Omnibus by J. Michael Straczynski, Oliver Coipel and Marko Djurdjevic -- Amazon.com
+ Thor, Vol. 01 by J. Michael Straczynski and Oliver Coipel -- Amazon.com
+ Thor, Vol. 02 by J. Michael Straczynski, Oliver Coipel and Marko Djurdjevic -- Amazon.com
+ Thor, Vol. 03 by J. Michael Straczynski, Oliver Coipel and Marko Djurdjevic -- Amazon.com

(Omnibus collects the entire JMS run, individual volumes are more affordable.)

Witness the return of Thor in a story only J. Michael Straczynski could tell! Returned to the pantheon of great Marvel heroes, the Asgardian God of Thunder is reunited with the mortal form of Dr. Don Blake. Together, they must recon with the legacy of the mythic Norse kingdom and the awakening of its immortal heroes--but in a world that may not want them back! J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5 creator, Changeling screenwriter) hits a grand slam with his reappraisal of the Thor mythos, a creative success on so many levels the glowing praise from fans and critics alike is becoming routine.

Collecting: Fantastic Four #536-537, Thor #1-12 and #600-603, Thor Giant-Size Finale.

Follow ups would include the Kieron Gillen and Matt Fraction runs; those deal with Marvel events like Secret Invasion, Siege, and the Heroic Age.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8amlO.jpg

pJbLF.jpg
vONps.jpg
gALrN.jpg
wJN8w.jpg
JU8Rg.jpg
NFz2e.jpg

+ Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus by Walter Simonson -- Amazon.com
+ Thor Visionaries - Walt Simonson, Vol. 01 by Walter Simonson -- Amazon.com
+ Thor Visionaries - Walt Simonson, Vol. 02 by Walter Simonson and Sal Buscema -- Amazon.com
+ Thor Visionaries - Walt Simonson, Vol. 03 by Walter Simonson -- Amazon.com
+ Thor Visionaries - Walt Simonson, Vol. 04 by Walter Simonson and Sal Buscema -- Amazon.com
+ Thor Visionaries - Walt Simonson, Vol. 05 by Walter Simonson and Sal Buscema -- Amazon.com

(Omnibus collects the entire Simonson run and is highly recommended, as individual volumes are becoming scarce and therefore expensive.)

Considered by many to be the greatest run on Thor ever, Walt Simonson's classic tales of the God of Thunder are collected here-completely remastered from the original artwork and newly colored by Steve Oliffe! And there are too many timeless tales to count: The Casket of Ancient Winters! The death of Odin! The origins of Asgard! The sacrifice of the Executioner! Thor as a frog! The Mutant Massacre!

Collecting: Thor #337-355, #357-369, #371-382; Balder the Brave #1-4
Simonson's run is widely regarded as the best Thor saga ever told, and one of the best runs by any creator on any comic series ever published. It is an absolute must for any fan of the character.

dVudC.jpg

shkbq.jpg
6XKrX.jpg
MGFic.jpg
3QzLc.jpg

+ The Mighty Thor Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Robert Bernstein and Don Heck -- Amazon.com
+ The Mighty Thor, Vol. 1 (Marvel Masterworks) by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Robert Bernstein and Jack Kirby -- Amazon.com
+ Thor: Tales of Asgard by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby -- Amazon.com
+ Essential Thor, Vol. 1 (Marvel Essentials) by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby -- Amazon.com

While vacationing along the coast of Norway, Dr. Donald Blake happened upon a secret chamber and inside it found a strange, gnarled cane. Upon striking the cane a shower of lightning rained down and the hobbled doctor found himself transformed into the Mighty Thor, God of Thunder and champion of Asgard!

Collecting: Journey Into Mystery #83-120, Annual #1

-----------------------------------------------------

The sound of thunder echoed far and wide when Thor entered the Marvel Universe, facing an array of enemies - from the past and the future, from under the earth and beyond the stars, from distant dictatorships and organized crime! But wherever Thor walks or flies, Loki is never far behind, scheming against Earth and Asgard alike! Featuring the first appearances of such mainstay Marvel miscreants as Mister Hyde and the Radioactive Man!

Collecting: Journey Into Mystery #83-100.

Never has Thor been more sensational than during these early tales, crafted by Marvel's greatest, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Re-live Stan and Jack's stories of the Norse Gods and Thor before he came to Earth as Don Blake. Witness as these masters breathe life into the thunder god. Read these stories as never before with all-new, modern coloring and six interlocking covers by Olivier Coipel.

Collecting: Thor: Tales of Asgard by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby #1-6

Relive meek Dr. Donald Blake's transformation into the legendary God of Thunder in this collection of the Mighty Thor's earliest classic adventures! With his mystical hammer Mjolnir at his side, Thor sets out to bring justice to Earth.

Collecting: Journey Into Mystery #83-112.
These are collections of the very first Thor comics published by Marvel from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. The Omnibus is the largest and most impressive collection; the Masterworks is in the expensive archive edition format; the Tales of Asgard is a recent reprinting old Lee/Kirby backup stories with modern coloring processes; and the Essential is cheap newsprint, black/white format but offers a lot of bang per buck.

u0qfQ.jpg

J4fDX.jpg
WurS1.jpg
AY2tl.jpg

+ Thor: Ages of Thunder by Matt Fraction, Patrick Zircher, Clay Mann and Doug Braithwaite -- Amazon.com
+ Thor: For Asgard by Robert Rodi and Simone Bianchi -- Amazon.com
+ Ultimate Comics Thor by Jonathan Hickman and Carlos Pacheco -- Amazon.com

As the Mighty Thor reclaims his rightful spot in the Marvel Pantheon, we join Matt Fraction and Patrick Zircher as they examine the triumphs and tragedies that have befallen the God of Thunder across the eons. As all the things he holds dearest are threatened by unimaginable forces of evil, Thor must rise up, again and again, to hold the line against terror and chaos as only the God of Thunder can! Plus, For countless millennia, over and again has the mighty, thunderous, impetuous, petulant god Thor raged and rebelled against the leadership of his father and lord, the all-powerful Odin. The capricious tantrums of a selfish titan, spoiled by his own power. But... ODIN HAS HAD ENOUGH! And so as the cycle is repeated in all ages, Thor must ultimately face the fullest wrath of the enraged All-Father!

Collects: Thor: Ages of Thunder One-Shot, Thor: Reign of Blood One-Shot, Thor: Man of War One-Shot, and Thor God-Sized Special.

Get ready for an epic adventure showcasing the God of Thunder as you've never seen him before! The vassals of Asgard are in armed revolt...Odin is missing...Balder is dead...and the entire continent is battered by a years-long winter. How can Thor put the empire back together - especially with his mighty hammer Mjolnir mysteriously denied him?

Collecting: Thor: For Asgard #1-7.

Exploding from the pages of the Ultimates, comes Ultimate Thor! Don't miss the superstar teamup of JONATHAN HICKMAN and CARLOS PACHECO as they go back to the beginning and tell the origin of Thor, Loki and the rest of Asgard! Ragnorak has descended and Asgard sits at the edge of end. What will become of Thor and the Warriors Three? And what exactly does Baron Zemo, mysterious commander for the Nazis, have to do with it all? Ultimate Comics Thor brings you the untold story of Thor's thunderous debut!

Collecting: Ultimate Comics Thor #1-4.
Ages of Thunder and For Asgard both offer a Thor that is less superhero and more Viking badass, presenting an Asgard that in keeping with its mythological roots is more brutal, violent, and unforgiving than one might expect from a comic book. A Thor who is less Superman and more Conan the Cimmerian, if you will.

Fans of the The Ultimates would probably enjoy Ultimate Comics Thor, which details how the Norse god came to Earth in that universe. It's a bit of a cheat for this section as it does have quite a few "modern times" segments, but it does deal with Ragnorok and frost giants and is pretty violent at times.

IkTgm.jpg

TTklw.jpg
oiCX5.jpg

+ Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers by Rob Rodi and Esad Ribic -- Amazon.com
+ Thor: The Trials of Loki by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Sebastian Fiumara -- Amazon.com

There are two sides to every story. You've heard Thor's -- now it's time to hear Loki's. Odin's least favorite son rewrites Asgardian lore from his perspective, featuring the breathtaking painted artwork of Esad Ribic (WOLVERINE). In this story, Loki's insatiable lust for power, his conflicted sentiments toward Sif, his antipathy toward Balder, and the deep-seated feelings of longing and resentment toward his older brother, Thor, and uncaring father, Odin, will take on new meaning. And if that's not enough, just stare at the lush painted art by Ribic - you won't be disappointed!

Collecting: Loki #1-4, Journey Into Mystery #85, Journey Into Mystery #112 (Tales of Asgard backup).

The true origin of Thor's archenemy and Marvel's most unpredictable villain! He is the lie-smith; he is the shape-changer; he is the fire that burns. The God of Mischief and Trickery, Loki. Meet the mirthful, beloved young man that made all the Asgardians laugh...until the first time he killed. Discover the gnarled roots of his twisted, unrelenting hatred of the Asgardians. And learn the chilling truth of why he'll never be stopped...

Collecting: Loki (2010) #1-4.
Rodi's "Blood Brothers" (retitled from its original, simply "Loki") is an interesting examination of the Trickster God and what happens when he thinks he's finally won everything he ever wanted. The 2010 series offers up an origin for the character, that blends the traditional myths and stories about Loki with Marvel's own unique twist on the mythology.

U5shJ.jpg

QwC6C.jpg
5yPU1.jpg

+ Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1: The God Who Fell to Earth by Roger Langridge, Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson -- Amazon.com
+ Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2 by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee -- Amazon.com

He's banished, he's mad, and he wants to FIGHT. Roger Langridge (Muppet Show, Eisner and Harvey Award nominee) and Chris Samnee (Siege: Embedded, The Mighty) re-imagine the God of Thunder in Thor the Mighty Avenger! THRILL as he battles robots the size of cities! GASP as he tames the mightiest sea creatures! SWOON as he rescues damsels from the vilest villains! It's Thor as you've NEVER seen him, hammering his way into your hands every month!

Collecting: Thor the Mighty Avenger #1-4, Journey Into Mystery #83-84.

(Vol. 02) Collecting: Thor the Mighty Avenger #5-8, Journey Into Mystery #85-86.
In early 2010 Marvel announced a second Thor ongoing series, titled Thor the Mighty Avenger. Expertly scripted by Roger Langridge and beautilfully illustrated by Chris Samnee, it was a new all-ages title exploring Thor's first arrival on Midgard that was fun, funny, romantic, heartwarming, newcomer friendly -- in short, it was a joy to read. Unquestionably, it was the best new Marvel series of 2010... which made the announcement of its cancellation after just eight issues all the more tragic. The stigma of an all-ages, out-of-continuity book was too much to overcome in an industry where the readership is often disastrously close-minded.

Of all the books on this list, it's the one I personally recommend the most. READ THIS COMIC. And then join me in my grief at its cancellation.

PkHJe.jpg

Tvtex.jpg
wCrtS.jpg
q9SgP.jpg
dDbEk.jpg
jrfJn.jpg

+ Thor: Son of Asgard by Akira Yoshida and Greg Toccini -- Amazon.com
+ Thor and the Warriors Four by Alex Zalben and Gurihiru -- Amazon.com
+ Marvel Adventures Avengers: Thor by Paul Tobin, CrissCross and Scott Koblish -- Amazon.com
+ Marvel Adventures Thor: Bringers of the Storm by Louise Simonson, Jeff Parker, Todd Dezago and Rodney Buchemi -- Amazon.com
+ Marvel Adventures: Thor and the Avengers by Paul Tobin, Todd Dezago, Louise Simonson and Jacopo Camagni -- Amazon.com

Explore the early ears of the God of Thunder in this adventure full of Marvel myth and magic! Join young Thor and his godly companions, Balder and Sif, as they travel the mystical land of Asgard on a quest of cosmic proportions. When Odin, the All-Father, sends his favorite son to gather four mystical elements that he will use to craft a powerful new weapon, not even Ragnarok will be able to stop the boy who would be king! Then, after their adventures across the wolds of Asgard, it's back to school for Thor, Balder and Sif...but when you're in training to be a warrior, study hall isn't so quiet! The lives of the three young friends take an interesting turn when Amora the Enchantress enters the picture. Sparks will fly when their schooling in swords and sorcery comes head-to-head!

Collecting: Thor: Son of Asgard #1-12

It's Power Pack's biggest adventure ever as they desperately search for the only other person who can save the life of their grandmother--THE MIGHTY THOR! But first, they're going to need to get to Asgard, and that means joining forces with Frog Thor...And THE PET AVENGERS! This is a journey into mystery that will leave Power Pack changed--forever!

Collecting: Thor and the Warriors Four #1-4

The Executioner is easily one of the deadliest foes Thor has ever faced, and in their loooong history of battlefield clashes, perhaps the strangest one of all time was on... a pirate ship? It's an untold tale of the past, where the God of Thunder stands alone against the most ruthless pirate on Earth, and the most merciless of all Asgard's warriors!

Collecting: Super Heroes #5-8

Four tales of all ages action featuring the God of Thunder himself, The Mighty Thor! First, see how the God of Thunder came to our world. Then, villains march across Bifrost Bridge, to challenge the forces of Odin! Then bid them to unleash their vengeance lest we face Ragnarok!

Collecting: Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #7, #11; Marvel Adventures the Avengers #15; Marvel Age Spider-Man Team-Up #4.
Son of Asgard is a great "coming of age" story that explores the early friendship between Thor, Balder and Sif as they experience the heroes' journey; don't disgregard it simply because it's all-ages. Warriors Four is actually a Power Pack story co-starring Thor and the Asgardians, but it's still a fun story for fans of either. In my experiences the Adventures stories vary wildly in quality and are often simplistic but your kids won't care; they're mostly harmless fun that anyone can get into.

So that's it from me. Hopefully some of the more well-versed Thor readers of ComicGAF can chime in with their thoughts on books I omitted or glossed over.

Happy Reading! :D

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Thanks for this. Are there any Thor comics that stick solely to the original Edda myths and don't have any of the changes Marvel made (Thor and Loki being brothers, Thor being cast out, etc)?

Witchfinder General said:
Thanks for this. Are there any Thor comics that stick solely to the original Edda myths and don't have any of the changes Marvel made (Thor and Loki being brothers, Thor being cast out, etc)?
I am by no means an expert on Norse mythology (OR on Marvel's Thor, to be perfectly honest), but in all of the stories I've read the myths have at least a slight Marvel spin put on them, and Loki is presented as Odin's foster son of frost giant lineage.

the chris

Also be sure to pick up Kieron Gillen's run on Journey Into Mystery which started this past month, it focuses on Loki and judging by the first issue it's going to be great.

IrishNinja

excellent OP as usual. id only add Dan Jurgens' Dark Gods run, and Warren Ellis' WorldEngine...neither as good as some of JMS (much less Simonson) but really fun nonetheless.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not really a Marvel guy, but all this talk I've been seeing in various threads of Simonson's run has me intrigued. Does it stand mostly on its own or does it have much crossover with the rest of the Marvel universe?

Narag

Zeal said:
I highly recommend THOR: Ragnarok, from the Avenger's line of comics. one of the most epic tales i've ever read. more precisely, it is called Avenger's Disassembled.
[/url]

I really enjoyed that one but I think any new readers would be lost though. The third issue of that storyline has one of my most favorite final pages from any comic though.

Mr. Sam

I shouldn't like Thor. I mean, on the surface he's just such a lame duck superhero. A Norse god that talks like he fell out of a Shakespeare novel? Come on, how dumb is that? However, Straczynski's run actually won me over to the character. It helps that the art was gorgeous and the perfect accompaniment to the writing. I particularly love - spoilers concerning vol. 1 of that run -
Thor destroying Iron Man in New Orleans, then laying down the law to him, telling the director of SHIELD how things are going to be
. So badass.

Ashamedly, I haven't read Simonson's run. I have just put his first volume in my Amazon basket though.

Tokubetsu

I really enjoyed Matt Faction's "Ancient Asgard" and his following run but Straczynski's was great as well.

jaxword

Ultimate Thor 1-4 is probably the best ULTIMATE title out right now.

It ties really well into Ultimates 1 and 2. In fact, it makes a perfect bridge between them.

In fact, Ultimates 1, Thor, then 2 would be a fine collection, and three never happened.

Mr. Sam

jaxword said:
Ultimate Thor 1-4 is probably the best ULTIMATE title out right now.

It ties really well into Ultimates 1 and 2. In fact, it makes a perfect bridge between them.

In fact, Ultimates 1, Thor, then 2 would be a fine collection, and three never happened.

Is it actually ultimate Thor in it and not Loeb's "now I say verily for some reason, verily" monstrosity? Because I might just be interested.

If some interested party in the US wants the first volume of Thor Visionaries Simonson for free, shoot me a PM.

Since I have the omnibus it is in need of a new home.

jaxword

Mr. Sam said:
Is it actually ultimate Thor in it and not Loeb's "now I say verily for some reason, verily" monstrosity? Because I might just be interested.

Yeah, it explores Thor as Thorleif, the mentally disturbed nurse and how he becomes Thor. It's obviously an attempt to retcon in reasons for the current 616 clone with the early Ultimate depiction, but it's still a good read.

A lot of the current Ultimate writers seem to be subtly trying to undo Loeb's externalized madness.

Ultimates 3 isn't really referenced. Ultimatum is sort of unignorable, though. Ultimate X is completely pointless and no one references it.

Loeb is a bad writer. :(

Platy

I just want to say that Thor is much more awesome when he has facial hair. Wich is probably one of the reasons why i love his design on 1602 =3

Also loki is one of the best Marvel villains .... it is almost the Joker on magical steroids xD

The Take Out Bandit said:
If some interested party in the US wants the first volume of Thor Visionaries Simonson for free, shoot me a PM.

Since I have the omnibus it is in need of a new home.

SEND IT TO ME IN JAPAN!

:(

Tizoc

Excellent OP mate, as someone who recommends comic books to others I'll make sure to refer them to your thread for further info =)
...and to further encourage the purchase of Ages of Thunder TPB-
In one story, the Norse Gods ran out of Golden Apples which were the source of their long lives, however, Thor had stockpiled some of the Apples, and so he is asked to share his rations with them, and Thor responds thusly-
http://i.imgur.com/YEW1V.jpg

BTW if you don't mind me asking: Why isn't Garth Ennis' Thor: Vikings on the list? (Not that I have a problem with that >o>)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not really a Thor comic but I think everyone should read Stormbreaker just because of how badass the whole thing is.

My main problem with the JMS run is that it has no ending. Fuck Marvel for forcing him to leave because of this Siege bullshit.
Can't wait to read Fraction's premiere on TPB though.

Tizoc

LordPhoque said:
My main problem with the JMS run is that it has no ending. Fuck Marvel for forcing him to leave because of this Siege bullshit.
Can't wait to read Fraction's premiere on TPB though.
I personally thought Gillen's run was a fine continuation to JMS'.

Xater

Spike I love you for threads like this. Thor is one of those parts of Marvel where I have some big holes to fill, so this will help me out a lot.

Tizoc said:
BTW if you don't mind me asking: Why isn't Garth Ennis' Thor: Vikings on the list? (Not that I have a problem with that >o>)
Two reasons. One, it doesn't appear to be in print anymore so anyone looking to buy a copy is paying more than they should, because... Two, I recall not liking it very much. Ennis doesn't play well with superheroes, whether they're his own or someone else's, and Thor was no exception to my recollection. Someone looking to get into Thor after the movie probably shouldn't be reading Vikings unless they want to see the character debased and humiliated.

jaxword

Ennis does "Dark, cynical and very grim" well.

Doesn't really mesh with Thor's "I WILL SMITE THEE!" attitude.

However, I will say he created the best Thor character: The Crusader. A superpowered Holy Knight that uses his Holy Mace and smites the skulls of those who don't accept Jesus Christ.

Now, THAT'S hardcore old time religion. I'd pay to see that character go around bashing in heads across the Marvel universe.

Great OP. Im gonna start with the JMS run and see where it goes from there.

Question about Ultimate Thor. I read Mark Millar's original run on The Ultimates do I have to read the Jeph Loeb and new Millar stuff (I think its like Ultimate Avengers now) to understand whats going on in the book or no?

jaxword

Anticitizen One said:
Great OP. Im gonna start with the JMS run and see where it goes from there.

Question about Ultimate Thor. I read Mark Millar's original run on The Ultimates do I have to read the Jeph Loeb and new Millar stuff (I think its like Ultimate Avengers now) to understand whats going on in the book or no?

Loeb is a bad writer...would you like a quick synopsis of Ultimates 3 up to Ultimatum?

Discotheque said:
By superheroes are you going literal with the definition 'super-powered'? Because his run on Punisher was excellent.
Yeah, I don't regard Ennis's Punisher as a superhero, and I don't think Ennis does either. He's a street vigilante like Bronson's "Death Wish" character, only better armed.

Also, just throwing this out there for Comic-GAF: the CBD thread for this week is likely to be both late and incomplete, as Diamond's site is not loading for me to begin work on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom