• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Coke getting nerfed: sweetness reduced, calories reduced by 8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsin

Banned
Stock up, sugar lovers.

Globe and Mail said:
Coca-Cola Ltd. is revamping its flagship product in Canada, making it a little less sweet and bringing it in line with Coke in its other markets around the world. The change is also in response to consumers' thirst for fewer calories, the company says. The new product, which starts to hit store shelves on Tuesday, will have a lower syrup concentration and about 8 per cent fewer calories – 240 calories for a 591-millilitre bottle of Coke, compared with 260.
The company risks losing some customers who may notice a little less syrup concentration, industry watchers said. Coca-Cola will have to focus on avoiding what was a monumental blunder of the U.S.-based parent company in 1985 when it reformulated its top soft drink into New Coke and was forced to bring back its original product, renaming it Classic.

Mr. Samoszewski said the company in Canada is reducing Coke's sweetness to put it in line with the product in the rest of the world – and not as a cost-slimming measure. He said the product's basic "secret formula" remains the same. The company's research found that Canadian consumers prefer the taste of Coke that's available in other parts of the world, he said. But the difference is subtle, he added.

terrible

Banned
Canadian Coke was extra sweet? I've always said it was pretty terrible and way too sweet. Now I know I was correct.

maybe

I wish they'd switch to real sugar while they are at it.

DBT85

When they say "the rest of the world" what do they mean?

Americans have to put up with Corn Syrup while most of the rest of us get glorious sugar.

DOWN

Banned
When they say "the rest of the world" what do they mean?

Americans have to put up with Corn Syrup while most of the rest of us get glorious sugar.
I often buy the glass bottled Mexican version which is a blend of cane sugar and corn syrup. Tastes really similar to the U.S., but the bottles are bigger and it's got a nice character to it.

Sober

Do Canadians actually like the taste of Coke from everywhere else?

I don't think we even have HFCS in our Coke.

maharg

idspispopd

We do. Have for a few years now. You can really tell the difference if you go drink some Mexican coke.

If you see Glucose-fructose on the ingredients list of anything it's HFCS. I think Coke still hedges by putting sugar/ in front of it, but if you get actual sugar at this point you're damn lucky.

zerotol

Banned
Demand a refund

oHpoKFK.jpg

Madness

I wish they'd introduce a non-Caffeine version of Coca-Cola but not Diet. Even Pepsi has their caffeine free cans in Canada (bottles in the US).

This is just a cost saving measure. Cola drinks are in decline, and they're losing tons of marketshare. That's why they bring out these new 222 ml fun size cans which actually cost more per size than regular can, but people like buying because they're getting less calories. They dropped real sugar because it was easier to put hfcs/glucose-fructose, now they want to cut that down even more to nickel and dime a few more savings.

I used to drink a ridiculous amount of Cola. I could probably still do a blind taste test of like 12 brands, diets, flavors, and tell you what what. But it's been 5+ years since I've had more than maybe a can or two every 6 months. I just know if I'm not careful, I could chug a 2 litre within minutes.

I wish they'd introduce a non-Caffeine version of Coca-Cola but not Diet. Even Pepsi has their caffeine free cans in Canada (bottles in the US).
I would be 100% for this. I can't do caffeine, it makes me drowsy and generally puts me right on the verge of sleep... It's the main reason I drink sprite over coke (the other being that it tastes better)

Artorias

Banned
If you guys get Pepsi Throwback in Canada, forget Coke.

Real sugar>Coke flavor. If coke went back to sugar I'd switch back, but fuck that corn syrup shit, it tastes so bad.

No Love

Banned

This is just a cost saving measure. Cola drinks are in decline, and they're losing tons of marketshare. That's why they bring out these new 222 ml fun size cans which actually cost more per size than regular can, but people like buying because they're getting less calories. They dropped real sugar because it was easier to put hfcs/glucose-fructose, now they want to cut that down even more to nickel and dime a few more savings.

I used to drink a ridiculous amount of Cola. I could probably still do a blind taste test of like 12 brands, diets, flavors, and tell you what what. But it's been 5+ years since I've had more than maybe a can or two every 6 months. I just know if I'm not careful, I could chug a 2 litre within minutes.

You sound like some sort of soda-heroin addict.

Sober

We do. Have for a few years now. You can really tell the difference if you go drink some Mexican coke.

If you see Glucose-fructose on the ingredients list of anything it's HFCS. I think Coke still hedges by putting sugar/ in front of it, but if you get actual sugar at this point you're damn lucky.
Well, then despite living in Canada, I guess I haven't truly lived yet until I get my hands on some Mexican Coke.

Thank god for my metabolism then, cause I drink my fair share of Coke.

maharg

idspispopd

Real sugar>Coke flavor. If coke went back to sugar I'd switch back, but fuck that corn syrup shit, it tastes so bad.

We used to get it occasionally, but the shelf space they were sometimes dedicating to it has been replaced with "Pepsi Next", which is some 30% less sugar abomination that still uses HFCS.

Sakura

We did, and it was damn good. Too bad it was more expensive than the regular shit though.

lanella

Hmmm maybe I will like Coke now. I always thought it was too syrupy, but I pretty much exclusively drink diet pop.

the ironic part is that most people won't be able to tell the difference,

and even at 8% less, it is still an unhealthy drink

Mexican coke is switching: http://gizmodo.com/mexican-coke-is-ditching-cane-sugar-for-high-fructose-c-1459437477

The last few bottles I've seen have no mention of fructose-glucose or HFCS, but I'm not really sure of the Mexican labeling laws. They definitely didn't taste like they had HFCS in them, but that can be deceiving.

Watch our friends in Mexico get even fatter

our Canadian Coke is in fact with HFCSs but it is just called by it's other name Glocose-Fructose which is HFCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom