• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Coke getting nerfed: sweetness reduced, calories reduced by 8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinton514

I still wouldn't touch that poison.

On another note, I do stare at people who drink Coke in the mornings as if they've committed a crime.

Kintaco

Sweet Coke? Sounds like Canada has New Coke still. Damn, now we can drink all three Cokes! Mexican Coca-Cola (Real Sugar), Coke Classic in the US, and New Coke in Canada!!!

GG-Duo

“In line with the rest of the world” reminds me of Japan — whose Coke tastes the same as America…
So I’m pretty sure that this means they’re switching to HFCS or whatever is in the disgusting American Coca-Cola.

And they’re just emphasizing the reduced calories bit so that there isn’t a PR disaster.

Farewell, sweet prince.

Fuck.

geomon

6a00d8341c630a53ef013487a13a86970c-pi

Better start importing.

terrible

Banned
“In line with the rest of the world” reminds me of Japan — whose Coke tastes the same as America…
So I’m pretty sure that this means they’re switching to HFCS or whatever is in the disgusting American Coca-Cola.

And they’re just emphasizing the reduced calories bit so that there isn’t a PR disaster.

Farewell, sweet prince.

Fuck.

They already switched to HFCS a long time ago.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When they say "the rest of the world" what do they mean?

Americans have to put up with Corn Syrup while most of the rest of us get glorious sugar.

We still have hilarious Mexican Coke, hilarious because they do in fact make cane-sugar Mexican Coke still, despite the fact that Coke you buy in Mexico is corn syrup Coke. That's right, they make cane sugar Mexican Coke for export.

But let's be clear, almost nobody can really tell the difference between anything in blind taste tests. Its all how about how it makes the customer feel knowing they're drinking cane sugar vs. HFCS.

terrible

Banned
That's surprising, since Canadian coke tastes significantly different from American coke.

If you see glucose-fructose in the ingredients it means they're using HFCS unfortunately.

I guess the taste difference between American and Canadian Coke might just be down to the sweetness difference. With the new recipe change maybe they'll now taste the same.

maharg

idspispopd
But let's be clear, almost nobody can really tell the difference between anything in blind taste tests.

I think this is probably true in that if you just threw a blind taste test at a random person they probably wouldn't be able to tell. I think most people who've consumed a decent amount of either on purpose (which is indeed a small number of people compared to how many drink it in general) can tell the difference blind, though.

That said, the fact that mexican coke also almost always comes in a glass bottle helps too. Glass bottles are also awesome.

Sulik2

All this talk of tasting different Coke is giving me horrific flashbacks to tasting all the regional Coke flavors at the Coke HQ. India, why why do you need a curry flavored cola? And Italy, you are supposed to put syrup into the bitter carbonated water.

SRG01

I wish they'd introduce a non-Caffeine version of Coca-Cola but not Diet. Even Pepsi has their caffeine free cans in Canada (bottles in the US).

This is just a cost saving measure. Cola drinks are in decline, and they're losing tons of marketshare. That's why they bring out these new 222 ml fun size cans which actually cost more per size than regular can, but people like buying because they're getting less calories. They dropped real sugar because it was easier to put hfcs/glucose-fructose, now they want to cut that down even more to nickel and dime a few more savings.

I used to drink a ridiculous amount of Cola. I could probably still do a blind taste test of like 12 brands, diets, flavors, and tell you what what. But it's been 5+ years since I've had more than maybe a can or two every 6 months. I just know if I'm not careful, I could chug a 2 litre within minutes.

There is a caffeine free version, I believe. It's in the tan/gold colored cans.

GG-Duo

I think this is probably true in that if you just threw a blind taste test at a random person they probably wouldn't be able to tell. I think most people who've consumed a decent amount of either on purpose (which is indeed a small number of people compared to how many drink it in general) can tell the difference blind, though.

That said, the fact that mexican coke also almost always comes in a glass bottle helps too. Glass bottles are also awesome.

Yeah, sometimes I would visit a friend's house and find out (by tasting) that the Coke they have in their fridge was bought across the border... and I don't consider myself a heavy soda drinker.

As a longtime Coke drinker, and someone who looks forward to having one or two each day, this worries me. At times, I do find it too sweet, so that's not why. It's because they're apparently shrinking the cans.

It already feels as if the can goes down too quickly, and it's not as if they're going to drop the fucking price. At least Wal-mart is usually great and offers packs of 24 cans for $6.30 or so quite often.

That said, this may make me switch to Pepsi because I also like it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
"Mexican Coke" to people outside Mexico is specifically referring to an exported glass bottle Coke, not "Coke in Mexico".

I always thought "Mexican Coke" refers to sugar cane coke and no HFCS. Regardless of container.

More like Pepsi. Bought some in like 2002 in Chicago which was I believe the last place it was sold worldwide. It was called Coke II at the time. The packaging looked like this:

CokeII.jpg

Pepsi won the national taste test against Coke just like New Coke won the national taste test vs. coke classic.

Coke thought that just because new coke tasted better, it would sell better. They were wrong.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I always thought "Mexican Coke" refers to sugar cane coke and no HFCS. Regardless of container.
Well it's more the amount of sweetness they employ and glass bottles. I think it's a placebo effect or due to glass being able to handle more pressurization, but get do taste better regardless of sugar chemistry.

ohlawd

I haven't had coke in a while. It's always Pepsi. The place I work at has a cooler and it has everything but coke

SURGEdude

Pepsi won the national taste test against Coke just like New Coke won the national taste test vs. coke classic.

Coke thought that just because new coke tasted better, it would sell better. They were wrong.

Everything about the 80's was wrong. Funny enough just a few years back (regular) Pepsi went to #3 after Diet Coke. The cola wars are over.

DOWN

Banned
Strictly real sugar Coke left the Americas long ago. It's either corn syrup or a blend of sugar and corn syrup.

The corn syrup flavor is shit tier. Until they go back to actual sugar I refuse to buy soda.

They sell cane sugar & stevia Coke right now as Coca-Cola Life

coca-cola_life.jpg

Madness

There is a caffeine free version, I believe. It's in the tan/gold colored cans.

Not in Canada I think. All that is there is caffeine free Diet Coke. Pepsi has gold colored caffeine free cans. I think they came out with caffeine free Coke Zero in the US in black and gold cans. But I'd want caffeine free coca cola classic cans if possible. There is no reason to add caffeine. It's how they hook children because it's an addictive substance. Even if it's only 40mg or less in a can.

Having recently had Coke in China, I never realised just how sweet the Canadian version was. I welcome this change eagerly as it will still be sweet, just not overpoweringly so.

Not in Canada I think. All that is there is caffeine free Diet Coke. Pepsi has gold colored caffeine free cans. I think they came out with caffeine free Coke Zero in the US in black and gold cans. But I'd want caffeine free coca cola classic cans if possible. There is no reason to add caffeine. It's how they hook children because it's an addictive substance. Even if it's only 40mg or less in a can.

order them online. Coke wouldn't be able to sell their product in Utah without them.

images

I didn't know Canuckistani coke was sweeter than the rest of the worlds's. I thought they were making it less sweet than American coke and I wanted to try some.

Joni

I remember old Coke. It made me really sick around 1999. Can't stand the odor of any Coke since then.

Strictly real sugar Coke left the Americas long ago. It's either corn syrup or a blend of sugar and corn syrup.

They sell cane sugar & stevia Coke right now as Coca-Cola Life

coca-cola_life.jpg

Doesn't Coke made with sugar usually make its rounds a few weeks before Passover in the US? That's how it was a few years ago, but I haven't payed attention lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom