• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Dollar hits Steam on October 7th

Kyou

As an American living in Canada with an American address and American card in Steam, I should probably be worried right?

Neki

Your credit card already does the conversion folks. As far as I can tell, all this will change is the number you see when you check out. Likely a similar number as after your conversions.

Ie it's all in your head?
Now if they start adding sales tax.... Then you get pissed.

If only you knew the comforting prices of 69.99 for new releases at retail, everywhere.

Well that's shitty news.

And on a more minor note...

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on October 7th, 2014 (Pacific Time)...

Si votre porte-monnaie Steam contient un crédit au 7 octobre 2014 (UTC+8)...

Pretty sure Pacific Time is UTC-8, not +8. :p

Ryne

Good thing I loaded up with key trading over the past few months.

This probably won't affect me as much as long as the prices are not too unreasonable for newly released games. I also generally do key trading for cheaper games and tend to buy games less than 20 bucks, not too many AAA ones.

People are worried that pubs like Ubisoft ($70 for Far Cry 4 and AC Unity on GMG) are going to jack up the prices by $5-10 like in retail, and it works out to more than a simple currency conversion.

Actually, at today's exchange rate, $70 USD is $78.39 CAD, and since the credit card companies charge about 2.5% for currency conversion, the actual price in CAD for a Canadian to buy a $70 USD game on Steam is $80.35. If they don't jack up the price ten bucks, we'll be getting a discount.

Now, if they start charging taxes, that's a whole different story.

eot

Banned
Yes, it works. You use your normal credit card and put in a random US address. Make sure it's from a state with no sales tax.

Why would that work? If you're in the UK you don't pay the price listed in the American store just because you use a card with an American address.

Got the same email about Norwegian Kroner. They already screwed me over once when switching from USD to EUR, which was probably around 25% price increase. Would be surprised if the price didn't increase at least an additional 50 per cent now.

Guess the smaller sites that sell steam keys will get more of my business now instead.

Origin and Uplay have had NOK as currency for quite a while, and games are more expensive there than in retail.

Kade

http://store.steampowered.com/cad

Frequently Asked Questions
What happened to USD in my Steam Wallet?
Canadian accounts with Steam Wallets in USD have automatically been converted to Canadian Dollars, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion. To view your wallet balance and account details, go to https://store.steampowered.com/account.

Can I continue to make purchases in USD?
The Canadian Dollar is the currency that is available for purchases made in Canada.

Has the availability of games on Steam changed with this?
No changes have been made to the contents of your library. All of the languages and features in the games that existed when the store was priced in USD are still available. Most games previously available in USD are now priced in CAD and are available for purchase in Canada, but an occasional product may be missing until it is priced in CAD.

No sales tax which is good.

Teeth

It seems to be a pretty small difference and sometimes a benefit on catalog games. From the Steam thread:

"It's only sometimes (most of the time?).

For instance, AssCreed2 right now is on sale for 5$, same as the American price (though the Canadian dollar is lower so it's actually cheaper here) and I've noticed this on a few games.

Using Enhanced Steam, it'll tell you the American price in Canadian dollars and, even with the new adjustment upwards, we still sometimes save a few pennies. For instance, the Dark Souls 2 DLC is $9.99 USD, which is equivalent to $11.16 CAD, but it's listed as $10.99CAD

So we save 17 cents there. "

" It appears Capcom loves Canadians. Everything is in the same price as the American store but in Canadian dollars. Thanks for the 10% discount from your laziness Capcom!

Also, back catalog Ubisoft titles appear to be equivalent price too. Not the new stuff though.
"

Pachinko

Yeah I just had a peak and it looks like for the most part , they simply multiplied the USD price by the current exchange rate , then rounded it off to the closest 49 cents.

So long as it doesn't mean the canadian store gets stuff way late , I'm not going to bitch. Well, I suppose I might complain too if our dollar goes up to 98 cents or something and the prices are still based on 88 cents.

Until that happens, I guess we can all look forward to not paying a fee on our visa cards for converting CAD to USD.

Top Bottom