• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian government approves Burger King's 11 billion dollar takeover of Tim Hortons

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tim-hortons-burger-king-deal-gets-government-ok-1.2860824

The federal government has approved Burger King's takeover of Tim Hortons, but with conditions intended to protect jobs at the iconic Canadian coffee and doughnut chain.

The merged company becomes the third-largest fast food company in the world, with sales totalling $23-billion annually.

Industry Minister James Moore issued a statement after markets closed Thursday announcing the government's approval under the Investment Canada Act.

The statement said Burger King agreed to the following conditions:

• To keep 100 per cent of Tim Hortons employees at franchises across Canada, and to preserve all of Tim Hortons' charitable work.
  • To accelerate the opening of new Tim Hortons restaurants, both in the United States and globally.
  • To establish the headquarters of the new company in Oakville, Ont., and to list the company on the TSX.
  • To manage Tim Hortons as a distinct brand, without co-branding of any locations in Canada or in the United States.
  • To maintain the Canadian franchisee rent and royalty structure at current levels for five years.
  • To ensure Canadians represent at least 50 per cent of the membership of the Tim Hortons brand board of directors.
"The result of this transaction is this new global company, with sales of more than $23 billion annually, which will now be based in Canada,'' Moore said in the statement.

"Our government is pleased to see companies like Burger King investing in Canada’s economy and looking to benefit from our low taxes and open markets."

Canada's Competition Bureau approved the deal on Oct. 28, saying it is "unlikely to result in a substantial lessening or prevention of competition."

Critics of the deal had argued the $14-billion offer by 3G Capital — the Brazilian private equity firm that owns Burger King — would lead to widespread layoffs at Tim Hortons and have a negative impact in Canada.

Last month, Tim Hortons reported a 14 per cent drop in profit in the most recent quarter, as the chain was hit by costs related to the U.S. burger chain's deal to buy the company.

The new company will now have 18,000 stores in 100 countries.

Sanjuro

Time to celebrate!

CbIj5CZ.jpg

Seth C

So reading that, they are okay with the merger so long as They operate as two separate companies and Burger King only does it to avoid paying taxes in the US. Sweet. Sounds right.

You gotta love that the Canadian Government just started shoving demands up Burger Kings ass. The terms read as its Timmies absorbing Burger King and not the other way around.

tbm24

Hope this means they'll open more locations in NYC. The two that I know of are quite a ways away from my job :(.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
For some reason I thought this was the other way around. Odd.

I still prefer mcdonalds coffee, it's pretty good around here. I tried it once in America though and it was so different but maybe it's in my head.

To keep 100 per cent of Tim Hortons employees at franchises across Canada, and to preserve all of Tim Hortons' charitable work.

So they can't fire any Tim Hortons employees now? Even if they go and burn down the building, or sexually harrass coworkers?

DJ_Lae

One of the conditions should have been for them to require Tim Hortons to bring back in-house dough, rather than the frozen shit that ruined their donuts more than a decade back.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like it was Canadian owned anyway. I'm pretty sure Wendy's bought Tim Hortons long ago, there has been nothing Canadian about it for a long time.

Tim Horton's hasn't been owned by Wendy's since 2006 when they spun it off into it's own company again.

Varvor

To establish the headquarters of the new company in Oakville, Ont., and to list the company on the TSX.

This part confuses me....i live in Oakville and we already have Timmies headquarters here just off 403 intresction of Dorval and Wyercroft. Well good to know that they pushing it hard in little town of oaks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom