• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom might reconsider its $70 price strategy following moderate reception of Dragon's Dogma 2

Hot5pur

Game looked like a recycled version of the first and people noted it was also a step back in many ways. Kinda killed my hype for it and so I skipped it, not sure I'd even pick it up on a discount. I think if you're in your 30/40s time is probably playing more in your decision making than $10

phant0m

Good, keep them in check. Rare to see a company admit to receiving negative feedback, let alone react to it.

Uhm, wtf where, next to a royal palace or something? I went to the most expensive restaurant in my town yesterday, ordered the most expensive meal on the menu and paid 56euros for all 4 people.
Theres multiple hundred percent difference between the cost of DD2 and some fast food "meal"
Oh sweet summer child.

Standard menu combos at MCD/BK/Wendys are all $10+ here in the US now. It’s nuts.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yes, well. Funnily enough, the more you charge the less you sell... on mass market products anyway. Especially when they don't work properly.

I'm sure adding Denuvo was totally worth it.

Last edited:

TheStam

They should do an A/B-test. Randomly sell it to half of the population for 60, the other half 70. Evaluate profitability.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Man, the lack of accountability in game companies these days is exhausting. It wasn't the price point - we've had plenty of $70 games selling gangbusters. The game failed to improve on the original - it had lousy performance, repetitive design and a bunch of silly microtransactions so under-cooked that they could only hope to piss people off (even if they weren't all that bad). Figure out how to avoid those failures in the future rather than wondering if mediocre, frustrating games will sell better at a cheaper price point.
Yep, all of the above killed my interest in the game. I might come back and try it for like $20 down the line if they fix it.

Otherwise there are better ways to spend my time.

Compare it to Elden Ring and it looks a generation apart! Some of you guys need your eyes testing.
The technology in Dragons Dogma 2 is definitely ahead of that in Elden Ring, but the art in Elden Ring is so much better, they shouldn't even be in the same discussion.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The technology in Dragons Dogma 2 is definitely ahead of that in Elden Ring, but the art in Elden Ring is so much better, they shouldn't even be in the same discussion.

Better art is a subjective opinion. Even though I agree with you that FROM's stuff is much better aesthetically, by every objective measure DD2 graphically is way more technically accomplished.
I strongly disagree with it being "mid" graphically. It may not be the biggest or most varied open world, but what it does, it does exceptionally well - particularly with its day/night cycle.

Arachnid

Would it really sell that much better at $60? Sounds like they had unrealistic expectations for the game.
Honestly, after the 70 dollar hike, I know I stopped buying new games completely other than a few exceptions. Idk how many others had the same reaction, but it was a straw that broke the camels back thing for me to finally start waiting for sales. So many games I likely would have bought Day 1 like Alan Wake and God of War Ragnorok that got put off.

Are Dragon's Dogma fans a very loud minority? I fucking swear a lot of them were selling this as an Elden Ring-caliber release.
Yesn't. The problem lies with Capcom selling their first $70 game while doing that just to hit the end of their fiscal year. The game is half-baked and you can tell from playing it. There were found many evidences of cut/unfinished content in the game's files, like the fight against the giant Talos missing a lot of animations from Talos resisting the player while advancing through the game world and multiple dungeon entrances being locked/blocked.

Capcom shoot theirselves in the foot with this one because they only have themselves to blame for the moderate performance. The game should have better performance overall, the microtransactions were meaningless and only hurt the game's reputation on release, there are a bunch of QoL stuff and system that were downgraded from the first game, the story comes to a halt and then goes to the ending phase. and so on and so forth. The game is not bad per say but it is not acceptable at the $70 price range. If Capcom wants to bump the price, they better bump their quality to reflect that.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t blame them. There’s no reason to even pay $60 for a game. Outside of Nintendo they drop in price extremely fast.

I wonder how viable this $70 price increase would be if there was regulation forcing publishers to offer the ability to re-sell your digital games, like you can with physical copies. Hopefully we’ll get there someday.

intbal

Is the checkerboard reconstruction still broken on Xbox or did they finally fix that?
I wouldn't even consider purchasing a game with that much of a lazy oversight.

Toots

Gold Member
we will determine prices after carefully assessing user response and considering the rising cost of development.
Dude is talking like they will jack up the price for niche games.
"Cost of development is rising and we know only a few thousand people enjoy this particular game, so let's price the next iteration at 2000$ instead of 70$ so we can recoup ourselves"

Bridges

Wow, I'm surprised at the negativity in this thread but I suppose what DD is going for is pretty niche.

I thought the game was fantastic, it's easily in the GOTY conversation for this year. There were a lot of elements lifted out of the first game but there still isn't really anything else like this series out there. MTX and performance issues (on Xbox Series X at least) were completely overblown.

Spyxos

Gold Member
The game was very mediocre. The performance was poor and the graphics didn't look great either. And the price certainly didn't help too.

Guess the honeymoon phase is over.

On a side not, that "that difference is the price of a meal" might not be the best argument right now since fast food places are seeing slow enough interest now they're pivoting to cheaper menus.

Good, keep them in check. Rare to see a company admit to receiving negative feedback, let alone react to it.

Uhm, wtf where, next to a royal palace or something? I went to the most expensive restaurant in my town yesterday, ordered the most expensive meal on the menu and paid 56euros for all 4 people.
Theres multiple hundred percent difference between the cost of DD2 and some fast food "meal"
Maybe read the post? I was talking about the $10 price difference between 70 and 60. 70-10=60. Math.

Like everything else, there is a sweatspot of pricing things. Currently $70 is just too high for many gamers. publishers have to realize they would make more money by selling at $60 / €60 as they would sell more. Nintendo are still selling much better games at a cheaper price, the right price and people can compare. And in Europe it's even worse, things are too expensive there. most people won't even consider those +75€ prices and then they'll forget about the game when the price finally decreases.

T4keD0wN

Maybe read the post? I was talking about the $10 price difference between 70 and 60. 70-10=60. Math.
My bad then, i am out of touch, i remember it costing like 1-2 bucks for 1 item the last time i was dragged to such a place. Granted it was like 5 years ago, just checked online and its 3-4 nowadays for and average item and still 2 for the most budget one, 2<10.
Had no clue its that much elsewhere given that the food there looks worse than the food in dragons dogma. Its a rip-off given that they sell it here for that much and still turning a profit (presumably)

Last edited:

simpatico

Capcom recently disclosed during a Q&A session that its first $70 AAA launch, Dragon’s Dogma 2, received a moderate reception from players and they are assessing future game pricing.

This is interesting as I believe DD 2 was the largest steam launch for the company. I wonder what was their expectation for the game.
They wanted From Soft numbers I bet

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I thought it was a good game? It's on my pick up list.

Hmmmm
The game is good, it's just that it didn't met the fan's expectations (myself included).

Poor performance doesn't help either. I'd advise to wait for patches or at least a DLC announcement that spices up the game a little bit.

StueyDuck

Dragons dogma was always a fairly smaller/unknown franchise to begin with.

I'm surprised they were expecting big numbers.

Holammer

Dragons dogma was always a fairly smaller/unknown franchise to begin with.

I'm surprised they were expecting big numbers.
I noted in another thread that the game never made a real impact to begin with, scored me lot of LOL emotes.
There's a very vocal fanbase for DD, like there is for Dino Crisis. A series that haven't had a game for over 20 years now. Hell, let me pull the bandaid off and upset even more people by also saying that nobody cares about Parasite Eve either.

541s1a.jpg

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Are Dragon's Dogma fans a very loud minority? I fucking swear a lot of them were selling this as an Elden Ring-caliber release.
Yes they are. This game was a mid-tier experience and I wish I would have waited for a deep discount.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Everyone talking about stagnant game design, bad technical quality, etc, agreed.

Those who still insist on playing boycott with the 70 dollars, just know that you're a major reason as to why publishers and devs of all sizes are looking how to put out low barrier F2P shit riddled with MTX.

Last edited:

Slimboy Fat

In 5-10 years 70 bucks won't seem that bad anymore thanks to inflationary prices and wages. But today when I see a 70$ tag I ask myself how bad I really want to play this game. Given the state of ambitious games lately I don't think a lot of developers/publishers want their customers asking themselves that question. Playing Ubislop on release, for example, just isn't worth the cash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom