• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

TheMoon

Has Nintendo said any word whatsoever on if there will be DLC released for this? I mean if there ever was a game that deserves it it's Captain Toad.

But then again, maybe Nintendo is quietly keeping a lid on it and will release more stages later?

Notice how the box has no Nintendo Network logo. And then remember how Captain Toad is basically a retail version of what would have been SM3DW DLC. There won't be DLC for this one.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
finally boot up captain toad, disk version, and it is looping on the start screen. it's fucking painful to listen to. has this happened to anyone else?
Not with CT* but with NintendoLand disk**, during the early FW days. Happened a couple of times and was gone after a certain FW version came out, though I can't recall which one now.

* /stares at calendar
** ha ha, nintendo

Zalman

I started playing yesterday. About 15 levels in. The puzzles are extremely clever. Can't find anything bad to say about it yet.

Ludist210

I'm on the third episode, about 14 levels in. I still really like this game. The puzzles aren't overly challenging (for the most part), but they're all clever and very few are unlikeable. Even the boss "fights" are very well done.

Nemesis_

Does anyone care about the lack of multiplayer?

I was really disappointed about it initially but I'm sure once I play it (it's out on the 3rd here) that I'll love it and not care anyway. Would've been nice to have something else to give a go, though. But yeah, not too phased, grabbing it anyway.

zroid

Banned
gbcctkaspu.gif

hnnnnnngh!

Peltz

I'm about 12 levels into the game. It's super charming and gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside that only Nintendo EAD Tokyo seems to be able to provide.

They manage to make me feel nostalgic while continuing to offer unpredictable level design. I really don't know how they're able to get such variety into their games.

Not with CT* but with NintendoLand disk**, during the early FW days. Happened a couple of times and was gone after a certain FW version came out, though I can't recall which one now.

* /stares at calendar
** ha ha, nintendo

I was hoping I just needed some kind of update, but everything is all caught up. On the fifth try, the game finally loaded, but I dont know what was the cause.

all I know is I have that damn start up jingle stuck in my head and it's only a few notes long

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

I just got a WiiU for Xmas.

I'm assuming the stages in Mario 3d world with Captain Toad are basically the premise of this game?

Peltz

So,

I just got a WiiU for Xmas.

I'm assuming the stages in Mario 3d world with Captain Toad are basically the premise of this game?

Yes, but this game takes it to extremes. They have the same variety and care put into them as the full platforming stages of 3D World. If you even slightly enjoyed those little 3D World Captain Toad levels, you'll love the full-featured ones in this game.

They're very lush, if that makes any sense.

Yes, but this game takes it to extremes. They have the same variety and care put into them as the full platforming stages of 3D World. If you even slightly enjoyed those little levels, you'll love the ones in this game.

not to mention, at least tue levels I've played, lack the 3DWorld time limit.

about smacked my entire apartment around on the minecart level

tesqui

FUCK I died on
stage 48
of the
mummy maze
.. at least now I have a way better grasp of the progression.

MrBadger

On chapter 3 now and I like how
it alternates between Toad and Toadette instead of having one of them kidnapped. It's a bit more fair on Toadette.

Also continuing to love this game.

Notice how the box has no Nintendo Network logo. And then remember how Captain Toad is basically a retail version of what would have been SM3DW DLC. There won't be DLC for this one.

well that's just made me super depressed, i didn't notice the network logo had gone.
As dlc is impossible I'm guessing/hoping that means captain toad 2 will be a full retail release in 2016.
This game has so much potential for a sequel.

Wikzo

They should really have created a co-op mode for this game. Levels designed for two players (think 'Splosion Man) would be so awesome, especially since the game is quite friendly for non-gamers. If camera controls were a problem, they could've used the TV and GamePad as separate screens.

Bog

Junior Ace
3 plus a bonus. 13 hours minimum for 100% completion.

I really disagree. Maybe you're amazing at the game or had some kind of sixth sense in order to know what the hidden checkmark was in each level. For me, I'd say I had to replay 90% of the levels at LEAST twice. And for a full 100% of *everything*, 13 hours seems remarkably low.

TheMoon

There aren't any water levels, are there?

Of course there are water levels. But if you can't jump you also can't swim. There's no mechanical difference so if you have something against water levels because you hate swimming, the answer should effectively be "no, there are no water levels like that."

well that's just made me super depressed, i didn't notice the network logo had gone.
As dlc is impossible I'm guessing/hoping that means captain toad 2 will be a full retail release in 2016.
This game has so much potential for a sequel.

You already own Captain Toad 2 ;D

They should really have created a co-op mode for this game. Levels designed for two players (think 'Splosion Man) would be so awesome, especially since the game is quite friendly for non-gamers. If camera controls were a problem, they could've used the TV and GamePad as separate screens.

The goal was to make a game ready for release within a year. Thus, limited time means limited scope.

Coketruck

Every time I see this thread on the first page, I click on it hoping to see some announcement about what the game's Amiibo functionality will be. Every time, I'm disappointed.

maxcriden

Every time I see this thread on the first page, I click on it hoping to see some announcement about what the game's Amiibo functionality will be. Every time, I'm disappointed.

TheMoon is eager to tell you there will be a separate thread when that happens. :)

I just found out it's supposed to have Amiibo support, I may hold off on playing it until they get that sorted out.

tesqui

FUCK YES I DID IT I BEAT
MUMMY MAZE

GOTY

That was quite satisfying! Also this game took me fucking 30+ hours to 100%. Never would have thought it would take that long lol

I got to stage 25 of Mummy Maze tonight. 4200 coins so the 5000 coins shouldn't be hard but man it might take me a while to get to the end...

JonnyKong

I gotta say I'm kinda dissapointed that the majority of the bonus levels are just rehashes of previous levels, but nm, still a wonderful game.

I haven't attempted the infamous mummy me Maze thing yet which seems to be driving you all into floods of tears.

Kouriozan

Reaching 16 hours and only a few levels left to do time trials.
I really hope there will be more content, even if via amiibos only.

Muzy72

Banned
So is there any point in doing
the time trials?
They're hard as shit so I don't know if I want to keep doing them. >_>

BraXzy

I got through Episode 1 so far. Absolutely loving it. So so good. The diorama thing is just awesome. I managed to get all 3 gems and the tick on most first time with a bit of time and effort. Some things are super sneaky though.

Early-ish spoilers?
My GF finished episode 1 first and turned the game off because she didn't want to watch all the credits. It really confused me when she said yup it finished after 18 levels since I knew there were more but I did it myself and am relieved :D

MrBadger

If Nintendo lets me, I think I'll be using Mummy-Me Toad as my new Mario Kart main.

I do really like how this game has given Toad his own set of abilities and enemies on top of the re-used 3D World assets. That dragon is such a visual spectacle.

samn

Of course there are water levels. But if you can't jump you also can't swim. There's no mechanical difference so if you have something against water levels because you hate swimming, the answer should effectively be "no, there are no water levels like that."

Ah ok, thanks.

It's just that I've been playing a lot of Mario games recently and the inking squids in those levels always get me and I have no clue how to predict their movement.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This game is soooooo what I needed. Total breath of fresh air.

I was thinking earlier how cool it would be if there was a "Wario's Woods" dlc episode. You would be able to shoulder charge things, but not jump. So you would have new stuff like block pushing puzzles and enemies or traps that hurt you if you charge from the wrong direction. Sort of like Sokoban meets Captain Toad.

TheMoon

Ah ok, thanks.

It's just that I've been playing a lot of Mario games recently and the inking squids in those levels always get me and I have no clue how to predict their movement.

Keep your distance and pass them while keeping as much of a distance. That's all, really.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, it's weird. I got the game for Christmas. I know the game is going to be awesome, and I loved the Captain Toad stages in 3D World. But I can't convince myself that I want to play the game. What's wrong with me?

TheMoon

So, it's weird. I got the game for Christmas. I know the game is going to be awesome, and I loved the Captain Toad stages in 3D World. But I can't convince myself that I want to play the game. What's wrong with me?

You hadn't realized that this game is a lot better than the CT stages in SM3DW. Now you're ready.

Davey Cakes

I have the game and haven't played it yet. Working on the backlog. Still playing Smash.

It's a game. Just wait until it calls to you.

Top Bottom