• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Renewed for Second Season on Netflix, Episodes Doubled

Thaedolus

15 mins in. It has actually managed to become worse. This is sub-Troma levels of putrescence. Lloyd Kaufman wouldn't claim this garbage. 80s's kids' cartoons wouldn't claim this shit.

WTF are you even talking about? You don't like it, great, but be critical in a way that's actually based in reality

Ahasverus

I'm surprised there isn't more love for this, I watched the first three episodes yesterday and I loved it. Sure, it might not be balls to the wall action every second, but hell, well-done exposition is always good; what are we, five year olds?

That said, I watched it with Spanish audio, so that might be the difference...
There's a lot of love actually.

The Spanish dub is far better than the English one.

I'm surprised there isn't more love for this, I watched the first three episodes yesterday and I loved it. Sure, it might not be balls to the wall action every second, but hell, well-done exposition is always good; what are we, five year olds?

That said, I watched it with Spanish audio, so that might be the difference...

I thought the exposition-dump in the second episode before the bar fight
Where the drunks lay out the Belmont family history
was pretty terrible. Wanted to quote Falcon and yell "there isn't this much talking in a fight".

That was the worst offender, to me. The Speakers were a little awkward, but it didn't bother me much. It's not like I can write much better.

That scene in the church though at the end was excellently done.

Watched it all in one sitting... It definitely feels pretty weak. Like don't get me wrong, it's better than I expected when it was announced... but I was expecting pure garbage.

It felt both rushed and drawn out. I'm enjoying Trevor and his characterization, but everyone else just feels... off.
The fight with Alucard feels wonky and just exists to go "AND HERE'S OUR TRIO!"

It'd have been better fit to trim some of the church politics and dialogue in general and make it a movie. Just make the entire 'series' a trilogy of movies and if that does well enough make a series based on Simon afterwards.

TokiDoki

Really hyped for S2 now . I watched all four episodes in one go and its really enjoyable . Now I wished we get better modern Castlevania games , damn you Konami .

Watched it all in one sitting... It definitely feels pretty weak. Like don't get me wrong, it's better than I expected when it was announced... but I was expecting pure garbage.

It felt both rushed and drawn out. I'm enjoying Trevor and his characterization, but everyone else just feels... off.
The fight with Alucard feels wonky and just exists to go "AND HERE'S OUR TRIO!"

It'd have been better fit to trim some of the church politics and dialogue in general and make it a movie. Just make the entire 'series' a trilogy of movies and if that does well enough make a series based on Simon afterwards.

While I find criticisms levied at the series valid I still marvel that a Castlevania series attempt of this quality even exists at all

Especially given that Konami has effectively given up on the series and exiled its caretaker

This was clearly made by people with a fondness of Castlevania and seeing that last episode filled me with joy

But hey here is hoping Season 2 builds and exceeds this test run

While I find criticisms levied at the series valid I still marvel that a Castlevania series attempt of this quality even exists at all

Especially given that Konami has effectively given up on the series and exiled its caretaker

This was clearly made by people with a fondness of Castlevania and seeing that last episode filled me with joy

But hey here is hoping Season 2 builds and exceeds this test run

Oh i full heartedly, and i think season 2 might be amazing... But as a stand alone product for someone who's never heard of Castlevania before? I can't recommend it and would even offer caveats to those who have enjoyed the games previously.

I'm glad others can look past the flaws more easily than i can. I want this to succeed! I wanted to love the first season and instead i just came away with "well, it didn't suck and that's a start."

As one of the biggest Castlevania fans around, with Symphony in particular, I really enjoyed it. Having seen all kinds of horrible adaptations, this was very faithful to what little backstory that Castlevania III had, with retroactive stuff from Symphony added in. I mean,
we got the main cast and I'm pretty certain that Grant will show up eventually but there simply wasn't space to introduce him. They showed off a believable reason why Lisa came to Dracula, and made a variation on the nightmare scene from Symphony. Trevor basically has his original design once he loses the cloak, and he wields daggers and holy water. Sypha is also very close to her Symphony sprite, and Alucard has his exact coat and sword - he just needs to grab his cloak, scarf and gloves to be 100% accurate to his original design. And they provided some context to the "Bloody Tears" thing without overstating it.

I mean, this isn't anywhere near Lords of Shadow, which was Konami's last business venture with the series. This simply turned back the clock and started from what used to be the canonical beginning of the series, and started giving us a retelling. Just think what we could get if this keeps up!

Oh, and also,
I don't believe the bishop died, as such. They didn't shy away from doing gruesome stuff to people. I think the demon turned him, somehow. Maybe into Shaft, or someone like him. I don't think Dracula would have an underling just come in and tear his head off after what he did. Having him serve as an underling would be a much better revenge.

Oh, and also,
I don't believe the bishop died, as such. They didn't shy away from doing gruesome stuff to people. I think the demon turned him, somehow. Maybe into Shaft, or someone like him. I don't think Dracula would have an underling just come in and tear his head off after what he did. Having him serve as an underling would be a much better revenge.

I'm hoping for something along those lines as well. Dracula probably has something more...thorough in store for him.

Vitacat

Show was amazing. Loved it. Probably my favorite videogame adaptation ever.

Konami is Konami, so of course there's no new game or reboot to go along with the show. But, would love to see a Bloodstained anime done by this team to coincide with its launch (whenever that is).

I love how people can't praise one voice acting job without shitting on another. The English va was fine, particularly for those that mattered aka Trevor, Dracula and Alucard. The rest were fine. I live in bizarro world if this is considered bad.

I ate crow with Zelda when the full game came out but I watched this whole thing and loved it.
Oh i full heartedly, and i think season 2 might be amazing... But as a stand alone product for someone who's never heard of Castlevania before? I can't recommend it and would even offer caveats to those who have enjoyed the games previously.

I'm glad others can look past the flaws more easily than i can. I want this to succeed! I wanted to love the first season and instead i just came away with "well, it didn't suck and that's a start."
I have little investment in castlevania. I've only played symphony of the night and two modern 3d ones. So did my friends. We all loved it, and for the most part we aren't easy to please geeks.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I was kinda hoping dialogue would be a bit more sparse in this, like I feel like trevor interacting with other people should have been limited to a few sentances at a time and the rest of the show would be him walking around killing shit.

First season should have been a movie.

It is a movie, and it was paced as one too. My only complaint was that they should have just kept the episodes together as was the original plan of 3 movies and just released it that way, the episodes themselves often don't have great stopping points, but thankfully you can just binge it so it's not much of an issue.

I figure the the next 8 episodes will be the same thing, episodes 5-8 will be movie 2, and episodes 9-12 will be movie 3.

I was kinda hoping dialogue would be a bit more sparse in this, like I feel like trevor interacting with other people should have been limited to a few sentances at a time and the rest of the show would be him walking around killing shit.
That would have been awful to me. I liked the balance they struck tbh.

120v

i liked that he was more or less an average dude. the silent mercenary has been done to death so i was caught by surprise we're introduced to him drunk and getting his ass kicked.

not exactly cutting edge character development but one of better anime/not-so-anime protagonists in awhile

i liked that he was more or less an average dude. the silent mercenary has been done to death so i was caught by surprise we're introduced to him drunk and getting his ass kicked.

not exactly cutting edge character development but one of better anime/not-so-anime protagonists in awhile
Yeah I don't always need the Geralt of rivia anti hero. A merc with a mouth is fun too and not done nearly as often. Particularly when he can defend himself.

I'm not so sure ep4
the bishop is gone for good, they made a comment about cursing him I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up as a monster later in the anime

What you want is ti play Castlevania. This is a tv show adaptation. Your idea would've made for a terrible show.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh, and also,

It would be cool if he became Shaft.

cackhyena

Nah it would have been fine.

It would also have been Vampire Hunter D

Which kicks ass but also exists already.
The characterization is most of the reason I give a shit. It's a cut above a lot of anime for me in that regard. I've hardly ever touched a Castlevania game. But I switched back to Little Witch Academia last night and man, the moment to moment animation is so much better in that. Wish those guys headed up the animation in this.

BigDes

It would be cool if he became Shaft.
Yeah although there was something that weirder me out is that the archbishop guy

the guy on the throne in the second episode, was he a vampire? He had the same claw like hands as Dracula and his eyes were all red when he came out on his palanquin. Thought that was going somewhere but he just got blown the fuck up

Yeah although there was something that weirder me out is that the archbishop guy

the guy on the throne in the second episode, was he a vampire? He had the same claw like hands as Dracula and his eyes were all red when he came out on his palanquin. Thought that was going somewhere but he just got blown the fuck up

I think the point was
that the church is horribly corrupt and he's no better than the creatures he claims to fight. He was also extremely obese, which signifies that he's extremely rich (at that point in history)

HStallion

Going by the comments of the Bishop to Trevor I get the feeling the Arch Bishop
was a pedophile.

Chao

We can call anything a season now.
How can 4 episodes even be a season?

UK shows with 6 episodes already seemed super short to me.

Anyway, it's great to hear it's doing well, hopefully will convince others to produce more content like this.

DEODoS2V0AIHodI.png

by @shin_shiros (occasionally horny feed)

I shouldn't have binged this as now the wait for season 2 in 2018 seems too long. Wish they would have released 10 episodes like most Netflix shows do.

I am a huge castlevania fan and enjoyed this for the most part.

Oh fuck off on your high horse. The first four episodes had some issues but your hyperbole is laughable at best.

Gotta remember gamers can be a fickle bunch. You get a crappy adaptation via movie or series, gamers bitch. You get a decent one and gamers still bitch. "What is a Gamer?! A miserable little pile of hyperbole!"

HStallion

This first season probably isn't just a test for Castlevania but the reception of adult focused animation in general. They're willing to branch out and take risks and they're already producing anime so this seems like a logical next step.

This first season probably isn't just a test for Castlevania but the reception of adult focused animation in general. They're willing to branch out and take risks and they're already producing anime so this seems like a logical next step.

They've got tons of anime on Netflix and already have funded adult focused cartoons like Bojack.

I liked it even though it was over before I realized. I went in early yesterday without knowing it was only 4 episodes long. But even with 8 episodes next season, seems like they're not fully committing. Double those episodes lengths and we're talking.

Top Bottom