• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain Canadian Target Stores selling Wii U Basics for $149.99

I just bought it at The Source for $200, can I bring the receipt to price match it? They need to see it, so how would I do that? Maybe if they called?

z0m3le

Banned
Seriously, just with the exclusive games announced, it is worth it.

Ignoring "classic" Nintendo games you have:
X
Bayonetta 2
W101
Lego City
SMTxFE
Sonic Lost Worlds
Pacman (if you are into it)
ZombiU

Adding in the "classic" Nintendo titles that have been announced and you also have:
WWHD
DKCR:TF
Mario3DWorld
Mario Kart 8
Smash
Yoshi's Yarn
Pikmin 3
and a new Zelda

Seriously if I could buy the console for 150 right now, I would. Even with just the games that are already out on the system, I would be set until Mario Kart, and considering Smash is next year too, the people who don't want to buy the Wii U at this price, have no real reason to even be in this thread because they have zero interest in Wii U. (not to say they can't be here, just that their opinions on price are skew'd because they wouldn't pick it up realistically for any real price.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So people are really waiting for $99.99? Nintendo is so fucked.

Even if it was that price these people would just say "Waiting for $79.99" or something.

I'm just glad games are finally coming out, maybe by the end of the year we can have WiiU topics that aren't filled to the brim with trolls and doom memes.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Ignoring "classic" Nintendo games you have:
X
Bayonetta 2
W101
Lego City
SMTxFE
Sonic Lost Worlds
Pacman (if you are into it)
ZombiU

Adding in the "classic" Nintendo titles that have been announced and you also have:
WWHD
DKCR:TF
Mario3DWorld
Mario Kart 8
Smash
Yoshi's Yarn
Pikmin 3
and a new Zelda

Seriously if I could buy the console for 150 right now, I would. Even with just the games that are already out on the system, I would be set until Mario Kart, and considering Smash is next year too, the people who don't want to buy the Wii U at this price, have no real reason to even be in this thread because they have zero interest in Wii U. (not to say they can't be here, just that their opinions on price are skew'd because they wouldn't pick it up realistically for any real price.

Still, nothing worth playing right now. Just future promises. Why not wait until it goes for 99$?

Or do you honestly expect demand to explode and the prices to skyrocket again?

semiconscious

Gold Member

i think the wii kinda killed any thought of ever getting another nintendo console, at any price, for me...

but i love the ds/3ds (& the idea of nintendo going to a all-in-one handheld-with-tv-out approach next time 'round - that i'd be ready for)...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I fixed that for you.

and after it hits 99 bucks, they will now ask for a 50 dollars price.

Then at $50 they'll want it as a Club Nintendo Platinum Award.

Seriously though, that's a killer deal! Even considering what's on the shelf right now it's well worth buying, not to mention the solid holiday lineup!
Fucking US hasn't been getting much of anything outside of a gift card! Are we not hating the Wii U enough or something?

Would definitely buy a Wii-U for $149 if it was available here. I really hope Nintendo does an official price drop with a Wind Waker HD bundle.

Tuck

Still, nothing worth playing right now. Just future promises. Why not wait until it goes for 99$?

Prices are low because they are phasing out the basic console. You don't see these crazy sales for the Deluxe model. 150 is the lowest the console will be for a very long time.

And also you might not be able to find it in white for a long time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Demand will obviously increase with game releases. It's had like two kind-of-meaningful releases since launch, that's the #1 reason it's not selling (though obviously there are others). Normal people buy consoles for the games, and WiiU is finally getting some. It has a pretty solid lineup for the rest of the year and going into 2014.

That's the same reason it hasn't gotten an official price drop yet. Even if Nintendo had dropped the price in May it would have made a small spike from people already considering the console, but it would have drawn zero new interest. Games do.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

no. the people saying this really have no intention on buying a Wii U beyond "it's so cheap why not". They don't want a Wii U per se, they just see the $100 as inconsequential.

Bottom line.. anyone who doesn't pick it up at $150 doesn't want it, period. Actually not calling anyone out or bitching about anyone. But even given the sort of sparse library of the system right now, $150 (plus the exclusive games) will get you hundreds of hours of entertainment easily.

I'm annoyed that other countries keep getting these deals, but yet the US is still stagnant in lowering the prices.

most of the biggest deals you see are on the basic sets, of which there are virtually none of these left in the US. They have been gone from retailer shelves for a while now (both physically, and even the SKUs and spots for them). All that are really left in the US are the deluxe sets which usually don't see this sort of major discount even internationally.

The Wii U has Smash, X, and Zelda. Those are the only games in interested in and Smash is the one I want most. It makes more sense for me to wait until I can grab the console for 100 dollars or less.

Are Nintendo fans surprised that that is the popular sentiment? I'm just not interested in most "classic" (read: milked to hell and back) Nintendo games.

besada

Banned
First thought "$150? Sweet! I can totally play Pikmin 3 now."
Second thought "All I want to play is Pikmin 3, and it's going to cost me near $240 after taxes to do it. Nope."

I had this exact same conversation with my wife last night, as she continued to talk me out of getting a Wii U. Even at discount, once you include the game, it's a lot to play one or two games.

z0m3le

Banned

Actually 4 or 5 of the games I listed are already out, with another 4 or 5 coming out before the end of the year and the rest coming out next year and Zelda coming out a year or two after that. This is just exclusives as well, there is still a large selection of confirmed Indie games coming and it also has the best backwards compatibility through VC and Wii support that we are going to see this gen. I actually don't have a Wii U yet but I'm a fan of Nintendo games (as well as a heavy PC gamer) so if this sale was states side, I would definitely be at target right now picking mine up.

That price is low enough that I'd buy one on impulse. The Basic and Deluxe versions cost 550$ and 650$ here in Iceland.

I spent more on a night out last saturday.

I would jump on this if the PS4 wasn't just around the corner. I'd have owned a Wii U, bought a few games, and most likely some DD stuff if it launched at a reasonable price last year.

I keep setting my price in my head (Oh, if it was under $200, Oh, if it was under $150) but it's a moving goalpost as the excitement of GTA V on current consoles and the upcoming release of the XB1/PS4 come closer and closer.

They completely blew a decent headstart with underpowered hardware and lackluster software.

I checked three targets in toronto, the one at younge and finch, the one near don mills and eglinton and the one by danforth - shit is sold out

SmokyDave

no. the people saying this really have no intention on buying a Wii U beyond "it's so cheap why not". They don't want a Wii U per se, they just see the $100 as inconsequential.

Bottom line.. anyone who doesn't pick it up at $150 doesn't want it, period. Actually not calling anyone out or bitching about anyone. But even given the sort of sparse library of the system right now, $150 (plus the exclusive games) will get you hundreds of hours of entertainment easily.

I've had about 60 hours out of mine in 3 or 4 months. Some fucker somewhere owes me 140 more.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've had about 60 hours out of mine in 3 or 4 months. Some fucker somewhere owes me 140 more.

Did you look in the mirror

trollfacedancingmfjby.gif

I'd buy it for $200, real jealous of canada right now.

Also laughing at the people who say that they still wouldn't pick one up. Unless you have some kind of passionate hate for platformers and platinum games, there's enough announced right now to be worth $150.

I fixed that for you.

and after it hits 99 bucks, they will now ask for a 50 dollars price.

No you didnt. I have had the same sentiment echoed to me by my causal sister who wants a console for her daughter, who loves my WiiU. She refuses to pay more than what she paid for the Wii for it.

SmokyDave

Did you look in the mirror

No, I looked on the shelf where my Wii U games were and realised that literally ever other platform I own has a more desirable library.

Zombi U was one of the best games I played last year. Lego City was 'OK', though it really is pretty low-rent as open world games go and the load times could kill a man. NSMBU was as interesting as clipping my toenails but without the added bonus of being able to flip my clippings at the missus. AC3, well, that one ain't the fault of the Wii U, I just don't like the franchise but I needed something to play. Nintendoland is cack outside of the DK and Yoshi games.

Honestly, people assume that everyone likes the same games and it just isn't true. That big list posted above contained exactly one game that I actually want to buy: Mario 3D World.

The Wii U has Smash, X, and Zelda. Those are the only games in interested in and Smash is the one I want most. It makes more sense for me to wait until I can grab the console for 100 dollars or less.

My sentiments as well. I'm done prematurely buying consoles and then almost immediately putting them in the closet waiting for games to come out. Plus the way things are going there's no chance in hell that the WiiU doesn't get a significant price drop by the end of the year. The only way I'd get a WiiU right now despite the terrible library was if it were stupid cheap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No, I looked on the shelf where my Wii U games were and realised that literally ever other platform I own has a more desirable library.

Zombi U was one of the best games I played last year. Lego City was 'OK', though it really is pretty low-rent as open world games go and the load times could kill a man. NSMBU was as interesting as clipping my toenails but without the added bonus of being able to flip my clippings at the missus. AC3, well, that one ain't the fault of the Wii U, I just don't like the franchise but I needed something to play. Nintendoland is cack outside of the DK and Yoshi games.

Honestly, people assume that everyone likes the same games and it just isn't true. That big list posted above contained exactly one game that I actually want to buy: Mario 3D World.

How 'bout I give you 5 dollah for Lego City?!

chris_rock_178772mzrkjq.jpg

Damn I'm in Saskatoon too and that price is really really tempting but there aren't any games out right now that I really want to play.

Striek

[...]

I want to play several of those games. X especially because you know, Xenoblade. But its not exactly an amazingly deep list of "must-haves" for what will be a two year old system (by the end of 2014).

I think the price of $150 is more than fair for a Wii U. But when every other platform is offering compelling content right now and new platforms coming that are probably going to be better supported with more content, I can see why people who like Nintendo games aren't necessarily champing at the bit to get on board until they see the goods delivered. Particularly if you're a regular person who doesn't necessarily place Nintendos efforts above the efforts of other publishers.

I asked when the one close to yonge and finch would get new stock and they said Wednesday morning. That's still in the week of Wal Marts deal. Will try again then.

But will they still be $150? If I can, I'll either buy one there and refund the one I bought at The Source, or hopefully someone might print out a Toronto receipt and The Source might take it? Or price match a receipt at any location that will do it and refund the original after. For an extra $50 off, the trip will be worth it.

Madouu

This is just clearing out that huge initial overshipment of the basic model.

Once that is done, realistically, I'd think people should expect something like $250 deluxe bundles as the standard price in a few months.

So this deal (if you can find a target selling it at this price still) is pretty damn great. Probbly the lowest you'll see the console for a long while. Anyone interested in the thing should grab it in my opinion.

Darryl

Banned
aw man you guys waiting for $100-150 mass market price are going to be waiting for a long time. this is a clearance deal for an SKU they're clearing out and retailers overpurchased and have had sitting on their shelves for 8 months. even if the console does get a price drop, it's going to be $249 and they'll reduce the number of SKUs so this doesn't happen again.

z0m3le

Banned
I want to play several of those games. X especially because you know, Xenoblade. But its not exactly an amazingly deep list of "must-haves" for what will be a two year old system (by the end of 2014).

I think the price of $150 is more than fair for a Wii U. But when every other platform is offering compelling content right now and new platforms coming that are probably going to be better supported with more content, I can see why people who like Nintendo games aren't necessarily champing at the bit to get on board until they see the goods delivered. Particularly if you're a regular person who doesn't necessarily place Nintendos efforts above the efforts of other publishers.
If that is all they have by the end of 2014, I'd be absolutely shocked, I mean to not announce any titles for 2014 in the next 16 months would be insane, also if you notice I didn't actually list every game Nintendo has exclusive to the system, such as their expanded titles, nsmbu, nintendoland and some others. They are also going to be the only console with free online play once current gen is dropped, even if you are just voting with your wallet, that is just another reason to pick it up. I can't believe Microsoft pulled off this deception that online should require a fee. At least Sony is giving us free games.

Putting the focus back on Wii U for a moment, I don't believe discontinuing the Wii U is realistic, they have to go without a successor until at least the very end of 2016, and the basic is already basically discounted by Nintendo so this restocking is probably coming directly from old stock at target warehouses and this sale is probably a "while supplies last" I just wouldn't expect the price to drop below this or be this low again for years.

Top Bottom