• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo cartoon on dead Syrian child sparks anger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anger from whom? Ohh I see now, so when Charlie Hebdo makes a Muhammadcomic and is attacked then we cry with them and about the lack or free speech or whatever but if they "cross" the line when they make a joke about immigrants?

How about using common sense and see the shitty joke as it is and move on?

Or....we can say that both cartoons were shitty but no one should die over them.

Kozak

Banned
Another poor cartoon from Charlie Hebdo.
What is it trying to say? Even "racists" don't think that.

I reckon the belief thst *insert race* kids grow up to be the same as the adults of same race is a big part of racism.

Racists dont spare sympathy to children.

Bossun

People who don't have any satire background or culture get angry at satire. Big news here.

See the thing is there's thousands of people now aware of Charlie Hebdo because of the attack that didn't even know what they were doing before and are just discovering their brand of satire. These people should just stop caring about Charlie Hebdo all together or they will be offended every few month for the rest of their lives.

Also don't act offended when you don't have any culture in french satire culture.

This one is probably more a thought on immigration policies in Germany and the problems that arised around the new year's eve and integration problems.

FuuRe

This cartoon has multiple interpretations

There's no guideline or hint to get what his creator was trying to convey

One of the interpretations is pretty fucking tasteless

The comic is useless as it creates more controversy than anything by said interpretation, its intended message drowns in a sea of discussions

THEY KNEW THINGS WERE GOING TO BE THIS WAY

This is pure IRL clickbait

orioto

Good Art™
This cartoon has multiple interpretations

There's no guideline or hint to get what his creator was trying to convey

One of the interpretations is pretty fucking tasteless

The comic is useless as it creates more controversy than anything by said interpretation, its intended message drowns in a sea of discussions

THEY KNEW THINGS WERE GOING TO BE THIS WAY

This is pure IRL clickbait

It doesn't have multiple interpretations for those who read the paper in France, cause they know who are the ones who do it and what are their ideology.

This is the whole thing about Charlie. There is an expression that says "you can laugh about anything, but not with anyone". People in France reading that paper perfectly know they are super on the left side of things, pro-immigration etc.. They know they are 100% for defending Syrian immigrants. And people who read it are also biiig lefties.

It's not meant to be discussed outside, nor judged by people who don't have a clue about it. That whole thing started cause terrorists made their work "guilty" in the eyes outside audiences. This is just ridiculous.

And no this is no clickbait. Their team never wanted that exposure. Maybe you think they wanted the killing to ? They just want to exist for their 50k readers as they were before all that. You're judging it as if it was some sort of thing on an international site, destined to create reactions all ovrr the world, when it's a really marginal thing targeted at a super small audience, but some people who want to somewhat continue the hate call (cause that's what it does) can't stop but giving it an international exposure everytime.

FuuRe

And no this is no clickbait. Their team never wanted that exposure. Maybe you think they wanted the killing to ? They just want to exist for their 50k readers as they were before all that. You're judging it as if it was some sort of thing on an international site, destined to create reactions all ovrr the world, when it's a really marginal thing targeted at a super small audience, but some people who want to somewhat continue the hate call (cause that's what it does) can't stop but giving it an international exposure everytime.

But man, after the attacks they have been completely in the spotlight.

They should listen to uncle Ben, as things have changed a lot and there's no way back.

How can people still claim that the cartoon has multiple fundamental different ways of reading after seeing the full thing on the previous page?

orioto

Good Art™
But man, after the attacks they have been completely in the spotlight.

They should listen to uncle Ben, as things have changed a lot and there's no way back.

But the thing is they refuse to die cause they can't let terrorists kill them.

That's why i said before terrorist made the most intelligent strike they could do by attacking Charlie. I'm not even sure they meant to strike THAT well strategically. It was like pushing the single button that would create a never ending misunderstanding between the muslim world and the rest of it (Cause those exposures of the Charlie humor, they are aimed at third world mulsim countries, who go even more far than western foreigners in their misunderstanding of it, and think it's all France, maybe all Europe that laugh at their sorrow)

Also when those threads appear on Gaf it's terribly sad cause look at the reactions and people, in developped cuntries, still thinking Charlie guys are horrible racists. What does that tell the world ? The lie wins, there is no hope. Trump is going to be president and the world will burn. Humanity is just hopeless. You could think it's internet age and informations spread, and we live an age of truth.. But nope. It's the lies and the stupidity that spread.

Charlie Hebdo has always been tasteless and their humor never evolved passed the adolescent stage.

Comedy, satire and social critique are important parts to cartooning.

Charlie Hebdo are just lame and full of fail on their attempts at cartooning

Images should not be viewed as being sacred. It's right there in the bible and koran. Only some pagan gets offended by sacred images not being respected. Although I'm an atheist so if I want to get moved and want to kill people because of sacred images I can.

Kurtofan

Images should not be viewed as being sacred. It's right there in the bible and koran. Only some pagan gets offended by sacred images not being respected.

lol do you people even read the op before posting? nothing to do with religion here, people can still have opinions about cartoons before being called fanatics, that'd be nice.

as for the cartoon, it's obviously not to be taken at face value, you just have to know ch's history for that. they're just showing what ugly minds think, it's courageous I think.

Jebusman

Banned
Can someone do a contrast comparison to the last Charlie Hebdo thread and see how many of the exact same "They are racist" sentiments we got, and how many from the same people?

Because really, it's just going to keep happening.

People who understand satire and/or how the French like their satire will get it.

People who don't understand satire (or think they do but miss the point) will see it as racist/homophobic/sexist/etc. won't get it and/or claim they are just hiding behind the moniker of "satire".

Every time.

Like when people talk about the idea of taking PC culture too far, the reactions to Charlie Hebdo is one of the few I feel actually makes a case for it. (some of) You guys are so determined to believe Charlie Hebdo is some sort of racist right-wing propaganda machine that nothing they ever do will be right in your eyes. You cannot possibly fathom the idea that it is ACTUALLY satire and it is ACTUALLY fighting against the VERY THING they are depicting.

Maybe growing up in Canada I just have a better eye for this kind of stuff, considering our history of comedy and especially satirical outlets.

Edit: People admitting it's "shitty" satire are at least making the half step of admitting it's satire. It's fine to criticize the quality of Charlie Hebdo's work (even though for many, if you're approaching it from a non-french angle you are sort of offbase), just don't deny that it's actually satire.

lol do you people even read the op before posting? nothing to do with religion here, people can still have opinions about cartoons before being called fanatics, that'd be nice.

as for the cartoon, it's obviously not to be taken at face value, you just have to know ch's history for that. they're just showing what ugly minds think, it's courageous I think.

I'm just throwing in some religious education since a bit of ancient wisdom can help from time to time.

Honest question to the people who think Charlie Hebdo is racist; do you believe Stephen Colbert is a racist, homophobe, misogynist Republican?
Satire is an art that not all master or know how to deliver well.

Colbert was an excellent satirist and possessed great delivery.

Hebdo however, are like teenagers who never mastered the art of satire and their delivery fails flat. Médiocre.

Riddick

Hebdo however, are like teenagers who never mastered the art of satire and their delivery fails flat. Médiocre.

Colbert always had vanilla humor, Hebdo doesn't give a shit if they offend and even though I'm not a fan of their humor and I prefer Colbert's A LOT more I still respect the fact that they're not playing it safe.

Humor is extremely subjective, not you, me or anyone else can judge it objectively or dictate to others what they should or shouldn't find funny, what we can argue about though is the point of the cartoon, and imo the cartoon makes a great point.

esms

Paging Technomancer

mynicca1.png

Colbert is tame. You can barely call it satire it has so little bite. Probably more in the line of knowing irony.

Jebusman

Banned
Colbert Report (and the Daily Show preceeding it) was both the best and worst thing for american comedy/satire.

It helped spread the idea of satirical political comedy to heights I don't think it ever achieved before in the US. (As a Canadian looking in, I could be wrong).

But it also watered down the idea of satire for a lot of people, to the point where the dark stuff, the shit that really makes you stop and think, is seen as "too far" and taken literally rather than seen as the satire it is.

FuuRe

It doesn't matter if it is some kind of too cool "French only" intellectual satire us peasants cannot remotely comprehend.

It's the power CH has right now since the attacks, and how they use it for the shock factor only (to the rest of the world).

It's OK if France totally gets it, but the rest of the world doesn't and their reaction could be foreseen before they published this.

If the comic strip was taken out of context, the culprit should be prosecuted by the authorities.

ghostjoke

Banned
Why is there always some arrogant poster in every thread about satire telling every other poster that they don't understand satire?

Because the entire crux of the people getting offended is them not understanding satire unless there's a nudge, nudge, wink, wink to it, which is equivocal to an obnoxious laugh track. There's something in the pride of their ignorance that causes an eye roll followed by the "arrogant poster". Double points for those who go "but it isn't funny", once more proving they don't understand what satire is or its purpose. Doesn't help that Charlie Hebdo is well known for their satire since the attacks and about as subtle as an elephant in the kitchen at it; it's hard not to have a degree of wonder at how people misinterpret it. Oh, and the people getting outraged barely have a clue about the actual horrid xenophobia, because Charlie Hebdo is a far easier target for their weekend wars.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Paging Technomancer

I maintain that satire that depends entirely on extratextual cues to differentiate it from sincerity isn't particularly good satire, which is a stance that some people have a baffling problem with. The dividing line between sincere racism and satirical racism cannot just be "the satirical guy doesn't mean it, trust me"

With that said, in this instance the entire page including the header counts as part of the text. The cartoon makes sense.

That is all

This seriously feels like an exact repeat of the last Hebdo GAF thread, complete with the majority of the early posters not understanding the point of the cartoon.

hodgy100

Eh I get the satire.
Its more depressing than funny.

But I'm just going to say that if you can't tell the difference between real life and satire, is it really satire? reguardless of the intentions how it is interpreted is just as important.

liquidtmd

Banned
If satire is using the image of a dead young boy not much younger than my child, envisaging them as a sex offender to make a political high five point and then flogging the said image in a paid for magazine worldwide, then frankly the world doesn't need satire.

Its a sad enough place as it is.

This seriously feels like an exact repeat of the last Hebdo GAF thread, complete with the majority of the early posters not understanding the point of the cartoon.

And repeated in that people like you come in waving 'PEOPLE DONT GET IT'.

Many, many do 'get' it and still think their fucking idiots.

The Doc

Banned
aylan-charlie-800x564.jpg

This was published in the issue of september 9 , 2015.
Besides the very obvious charlie hebdo's targets , i think , but i might be wrong , its satire also takes aim at the 'think of the children' trope.
It's rude , but not bigot at least.

I think it's actually good satire that is partially lost on non-francophones. Any time you try to parse humor from a different language/culture, some of it is lost and you are left projecting some of yourself onto it. This is satire in the vein of Clayton Bigsby.

And as someone who basically lives on 123 Internet Street, I've seen legitimately racist cartoons before and they are considerably different from this both in style and tone. For one thing, a racist would not have used the iconic image of the dead refugee child that clearly resonates strongly over there.

This is like if you drew a cartoon of Ahmed Mohamed growing up to bash a white lady's head in with a clock and had the caption "The school didn't go far enough."

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
About as tasteless and ignorant as Trump's comments on Latinos.

Charlie Hebdo should not be above criticism for being ignorant and bigoted.

I get the satire, I just think it's pretty damn tasteless to be using the imagery of a dead child in this sort of way. This kid isn't just a political point, they were an actual person, they had a mother and a father and a family, what must they must they feel seeing this comic? And I think no amount of explanation of the anti-zenophobia of this comic is really enough, it doesnt wash that taste out of my mouth. It just doesnt make sense to me. I feel like you have to be an asshole to put this out.

I get the satire, I just think it's pretty damn tasteless to be using the imagery of a dead child in this sort of way. This kid isn't just a political point, they were an actual person, they had a mother and a father and a family, what must they must they feel seeing this comic? And I think no amount of explanation of the anti-zenophobia of this comic is really enough, it doesnt wash that taste out of my mouth. It just doesnt make sense to me. I feel like you have to be an asshole to put this out.

Being assholes has always been Charlie Hebdo's thing. In case you missed a chapter, the whole Charlie Hebdo terror attack thing happened because they made Muhammad cartoons.
Most people in France don't care about Charlie Hebdo either, you know. It's not exactly smart as far as satirical content goes.
The problem is foreigners misunderstanding completely what is basic satire, and thinking Charlie Hebdo is some far-right xenophobic magazine.

Siegcram

About as tasteless and ignorant as Trump's comments on Latinos.

Charlie Hebdo should not be above criticism for being ignorant and bigoted.
Posts like this are the reason people go into CH threads to express their bafflement at a basic misunderstandment of any kind of satire.

If anyone's curious.

daviyoung

Banned

The photo that Charlie Hebdo recreates in its sketches is a symbol of the refugee crisis and is used by all media outlets as such.

ksan

How was Colbert an excellent satirist? By picking much easier targets, disregarding issues that could actually cause great controversy, and valuing the comedic aspect over the political commentary?

I do think both Colbert and Charlie Hebdo fill their purpose though, Colbert is very funny, where as Charlie Hebdo are excellent at proving that people rather spend their time at being upset at shit like comics rather than caring about the actual issue at hand.

I think it's actually good satire that is partially lost on non-francophones. Any time you try to parse humor from a different language/culture, some of it is lost and you are left projecting some of yourself onto it. This is satire in the vein of Clayton Bigsby.

And as someone who basically lives on 123 Internet Street, I've seen legitimately racist cartoons before and they are considerably different from this both in style and tone. For one thing, a racist would not have used the iconic image of the dead refugee child that clearly resonates strongly over there.

This is like if you drew a cartoon of Ahmed Mohamed growing up to bash a white lady's head in with a clock and had the caption "The school didn't go far enough."

Y'know there's an area in Amsterdam where all the roads are named after computer parts and references; you could literally live on Internet Street if you moved there.

Colbert is more a comedian who confirms your views than challenging them. Nothing wrong with it but its basically a different genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom