• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo staff posthumously named 2015 International Islamophobes of the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...-named-international-islamophobe-of-the-year/

Charlie Hebdo has been named 2015 International Islamophobe of the year, despite many of its staff having been killed by Jihadists in January. The annual ‘award’ was given by Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC), a British group that claims to campaign against terrorism.

According to the Muslim website 5Pillars the award was given to Charlie Hebdo because of its “continual stoking of Islamophobic sentiment by caricaturing Muslims as terrorists and ridiculing their beliefs.”

It continued: “Charlie Hebdo’s repeated mocking of Muslims is part of a culture of hate that is intended to marginalise, further alienate and further endanger a community that has effectively been ‘otherised’ in much the same way that Jews were in Nazi Germany.”

Staff at Charlie Hebdo were unable to accept the award as many of them had been murdered for mocking Mohammed. Their offices were attacked on 7th January, when two gunmen called individuals out of the morning editorial conference to be executed. This included 47-year-old Stéphane Charbonnier aka Charb, pictured.

The terrorists shouted “the Prophet is avenged” and “we killed Charlie”, in reference to their aim of avenging the same religious insults the Islamophobe award was given for.

marrec

Banned
In an addendum to the announcement, they also announced that they were changing the title of the award to:

"Breitbart Presents: The Islamophobe Of the Year Award"

Since that vile and pillorying website is obviously the most islamophobic thing in the world every year and is only reporting on this specific and small incident in order to make Islam look bad... an irony that probably deserves its own award now that we think about it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
In an addendum to the announcement, they also announced that they were changing the title of the award to:

Since that vile and pillorying website is obviously the most islamophobic thing in the world every year and is only reporting on this specific and small incident in order to make Islam look bad... an irony that probably deserves its own award now that we think about it.
Why are you mad at Breitbart for reporting this instead of being mad at the IHRC for doing something so distasteful?

marrec

Banned
Why are you mad at Breitbart for reporting this instead of being mad at the IHRC for doing something so distasteful?

Just pointing out the reason Breitbart is reporting on this. I'm, in general, constantly mad that something like Breitbart exists but also aware of the right for it too exist.

Betty

Banned
Being Islamophobic is ridiculous, I mean what did the members of Charlie Hebdo think was going to happen, that terrorists acting in the name of Islam would kill them or something?

What a crazy notion. I hope they learn something from being branded Islamophobes.

injurai

Banned
Just pointing out the reason Breitbart is reporting on this. I'm, in general, constantly mad that something like Breitbart exists but also aware of the right for it too exist.

I have never heard of Breitbart, but even if they are thirsty vilify the IHRC I also can't condone the IHRC for this move.

spookyfish

Something like that is actually in the article:

The UK winner this year was Maajid Nawaz, co-founder of the anti-extremism think tank Quilliam. He takes the crown from the former Editor of Breitbart London, Raheem Kassam, maintaining the tradition of giving the award to a British Muslim whose activities are not deemed acceptable to the IHRC.

What reason would they have to not be afraid of Islams?... seeing as how they were murdered by them in their place of work. That's like poking someone's eye out and calling them a cyclops.

Today I learned that the IHRC is a joke, and should not be taken seriously.

I really shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that assholes still think Hebdo "deserved" it. What screwed up notions in someone's head can make them think pictures and satire are crimes worth of death.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It continued: “Charlie Hebdo’s repeated mocking of Muslims is part of a culture of hate that is intended to marginalise, further alienate and further endanger a community that has effectively been ‘otherised’ in much the same way that Jews were in Nazi Germany.”

That's a good point. I remember Jews always running into newspapers and gunning down innocent Germans, or shooting up churches-

oh wait, no I don't. Because that never happened. Silly me.

NeOak

Lol Breitbart

Can we get proper source on this? I don't trust them at all

There are also no prizes for guessing the winner of the “International” category.

The French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo which was the target of a murderous attack in January won the prize here for its continual stoking of Islamophobic sentiment by caricaturing Muslims as terrorists and ridiculing their beliefs.

Charlie Hebdo’s repeated mocking of Muslims is part of a culture of hate that is intended to marginalise, further alienate and further endanger a community that has effectively been “otherised” in much the same way that Jews were in Nazi Germany.

This is their source

http://5pillarsuk.com/2015/03/08/home-secretary-theresa-may-voted-islamophobe-of-the-year/

I'm trying really hard not to have prejudice for specific religions and such, but it's getting harder and harder. Homophobia is kinda bad, but Islam is by a wide margin worse.

Islamophobia exists for a reason. Why doesn't the IHRC go tell the terrorists NOT to kill people in the name of their religion as opposed to giving away lame awards. They are just making themselves look bad by doing this, they should be on CH's side not railing against them

Manu

Charlie Hebdo’s repeated mocking of Muslims is part of a culture of hate that is intended to marginalise, further alienate and further endanger a community that has effectively been “otherised” in much the same way that Jews were in Nazi Germany.

"So we fucking killed them instead! Better safe than sorry!"

I think the IHRC should get the award for promoting the stereotype that Muslims condone violence in the name of defending their religion.

It's like, mind-boggling.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There is an inherent conflict between Free Speech and the Islamic Religion.

What they need to understand is Free Speech will win out in the end.

Zukuu

Banned
Charlie Hebdo has been named 2015 International Islamophobe of the year, despite many of its staff having been killed by Jihadists in January. The annual ‘award’ was given by Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC), a British group that claims to campaign against terrorism.
Does not compute.

methane47

wait wait... I'm SUPER confused, isn't a "Phobia" an extreme irrational fear?

So they are calling the people who were murdered by the extremist muslims... irrationally fearful of muslims?

Amalthea

Banned
As if murdering those carricaturists wasn't enough revenge, you must have one hell of a victim complex to pile on dead people and compare their racist cartoons to Nazi Germany (where it was just one part of a huge genocidal system).

Lamel

Banned
Wow, no shame.

And my campus has the audacity to promote Islam in the hallways. Pathetic useless parasites is what they are. I'm trying really hard not to have prejudice for specific religions and such, but it's getting harder and harder. Homophobia is kinda bad, but Islam is by a wide margin worse.

You may want to be careful what you're trying to get at here.

Edit: Nice edit.

Alucrid

Banned
“One of the reasons [for the awards] is to challenge the stereotyping that Muslims have no sense of humour, they are always angry, to show that we also can use humour and satire to address serious issues of our time.”

This only affirms that these Muslims voting in the awards have no sense of humor.

Shadjareh says it would be double standards to see the IHRC as condoning the Charlie Hebdo attacks, which he calls “barbaric”. He points out that the publication of the cartoons led to injuries and deaths in protest marches across the Islamic world, including in Pakistan and Niger, yet the magazine was absolved of any responsibility.

“You cannot have one side responsible and one side not responsible,” he says.

And yeah...

Mully

This is why I ignore people who suggest I work for Breitbart. People honestly believe that Breitbart is the last bastion of true journalism.

the creators of this award can rest assured no one will run into their buildings and shoot them dead for making light of someone who died

It's always someone else's fault isn't it? They should be looking at themselves. CH was not responsible for any human rights violations yet the terrorists constantly do so, why do they not get criticized? They should be looking inward and try to raise awareness among their people. Awareness that it's okay to get offended and write a letter of complaint but not to go as far as kill people

Learn to take a joke.

This only affirms that these Muslims voting in the awards have no sense of humor.

And yeah...

Jeez guys, maybe tell your people that's it's just a shitty joke from a shitty French tabloid and move the hell on. Don't they have jobs and stuff?

the creators of this award can rest assured no one will run into their buildings and shoot them dead for making light of someone who died

I want someone to tell them this or ask how they would feel about getting such an award

marrec

Banned
I have never heard of Breitbart, but even if they are thirsty vilify the IHRC I also can't condone the IHRC for this move.

The IHRC is oftentimes controversial and at best it's motives are questionable. Their organization has often been accused of being a front for the Islamic right despite their leftist language though few of their actions have, in the past, proved this out.

It's important to remember that these mock awards are voted by the public and the statement given about the specific Charlie Hebdo award seems to have been given by 5pillars and not the IHRC.

Breitbart, in their glorious best, doesn't point out that 5pillars is not affiliated with the IHRC nor does it point out that the voting AND the nominations are provided by the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom