• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo Won't Be Drawing Mohammed Anymore. Feels the Point Was Made & Moves On.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
http://www.dw.com/en/no-more-mohammed-comics-says-charlie-hebdo-editor-sourisseau/a-18590426

"We have drawn Mohammed to defend the principle that one can draw whatever they want. It is a bit strange though: we are expected to exercise a freedom of expression that no one dares to," Sourisseau told "Stern."

The editor said that the magazine had done what it set out to do.

"We've done our job. We have defended the right to caricature," Sourisseau said.

"We still believe that we have the right to criticize all religions," the editor said, adding that he did not want to believe that the magazine "was possessed by Islam."

Sourisseau survived though his shoulder was shattered in the attack

"The mistakes you could blame Islam for can be found in other religions," Sourisseau noted.

Mature of him. Him and Salmon Rushdie made me realise that there are reactionary extremist crazies that won't just have a peaceful protest (not even worthy protesting imo as a Muslim who should accept differences) but will fight you to the death for expressing yourself. They are pathetic cowards.

The terrorists won.

tumblr_inline_mo4yek6VHI1qz4rgp_zpse648c6bb.gif

kirblar

KYLE: That's because there is no goo, Mr. Cruise. You see, I learned something today. Throughout this whole ordeal, we've all wanted to show things that we weren't allowed to show, but it wasn't because of some magic goo. It was because of the magical power of threatening people with violence. That's obviously the only true power. If there's anything we've all learned, it's that terrorizing people works.

JESUS: That's right. Don't you see, gingers, if you don't want to be made fun of anymore, all you need are guns and bombs to get people to stop.

SANTA: That's right, friends. All you need to do is instill fear and be willing to hurt people and you can get whatever you want. The only true power is violence.
:(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The terrorists won.

At the same time, wouldn't the terrorists also win if the magazine was locked into a perpetual state of having to draw Mohammed?

I think there's something dark about both the magazine and the terrorists saying the same thing STAND YOUR GROUND, STAND YOUR GROUND until the end of time.

Chariot

The terrorists won.
Huh, I read the article as that they won't reduce themselves forever on Mohammad and return to critising everything, because Islam isn't the only religion with issues.
"We have drawn Muhammad to defend the principle that one can draw whatever they want. It is a bit strange though: we are expected to exercise a freedom of expression that no one dares to," Sourisseau told "Stern."

"We've done our job. We have defended the right to caricature," Sourisseau said.
He seems to be annoyed that they are expected to keep producing Mohammad stuff to show power.

Blader

Well, how many times are they expected to draw Mohammed? Seems like that bit would get pretty old pretty quick.

Enco

Did you guys even read the OP?

"We still believe that we have the right to criticize all religions," the editor said, adding that he did not want to believe that the magazine "was possessed by Islam."

Terrorists didn't win shit. Do you expect them to draw Muhammad every week to prevent the terrorists from winning?

Chariot

Well that's a bummer to read
They're a satire magazin for all topics, not the Mohammad Scribble Book. I can totally see that they are a bit annoyed to be turned into a one.trick pony.

Terrorists didn't win shit. Do you expect them to draw Muhammad every week to prevent the terrorists from winning?
The title is a huge problem, when a lot of people don't bother read the OPs.

Why not? I'd do it constantly. Certainly wouldn't announce how I'm done..after I do that? Terrorist won..be possessed!

Jenov

I would just keep drawing him, but in less pronounced ways. Hide tiny little Mohammeds into other pieces. Like a where's Mohammed type game.

Seems like the best move honestly. Don't understand the whole "the terroists won" mindset. Even if you think that can you really blame them? Especially after their friends were killed over it.

Chariot

Why not? I'd do it constantly. Certainly wouldn't announce how I'm done..after I do that? Terrorist won..be possessed!

I would just keep drawing him, but in less pronounced ways. Hide tiny little Mohammeds into other pieces. Like a where's Mohammed type game.
See and this is what annoys them.

"It is a bit strange though: we are expected to exercise a freedom of expression that no one dares to,"

They want to be a satire magazine, not your personal light beacon. Stop being so selfish and let the people make their job, instead of pushing this onto them. I presume that most people want that don't buy and read the magazine anyways.

See and this is what annoys them.

"It is a bit strange though: we are expected to exercise a freedom of expression that no one dares to,"

They want to be a satire magazine, not your personal light beacon. Stop being so selfish and let the people make their job, instead of pushing this onto them.I presume that most people want that don't buy and read the magazine anyways.
Sure don't, and think it was silly in the first place. Just my opinion..you can skip right over it.
They're all meeting at Dairy Queen to celebrate as is customary.
Don't you mean Sonic?

Kinyou

Huh, I read the article as that they won't reduce themselves forever on Mohammad and return to critising everything, because Islam isn't the only religion with issues.He seems to be annoyed that they are expected to keep producing Mohammad stuff to show power.
I find it strange though that he seems to say that they'll do it never again. I mean surely in the future there could be some kind of event where it would feel appropriate to draw another Mohammed caricature.

wildfire

Banned

Why not? I'd do it constantly.

If you are making a comment to incite anger it isn't satire anymore. It's trolling and shit stirring. You could argue he could make a follow up article but he already did that immediately after the attack.

Chariot

The quotes support the title.
I read his answers as him, as them, not continuing to continuously make new Mohammad pictures just for the sake of it just because people want them to. He does not say that they will never draw Mohammad again, just that they made their point for the freedom and are kinda sick of it, because it's only expected from them. So they move on to their usual business.

wildfire

Banned
I read his answers as him, as them, not continuing to continuously make new Mohammad pictures just for the sake of it just because people want them to. He does not say that they will never draw Mohammad again, just that they made their point for the freedom and are kinda sick of it, because it's only expected from them. So they move on to their usual business.

Ok your issue was about the scope of the statement. Fair enough.

I guess I am, but luckily so are a lot of other people.

Don't worry you weren't dense.

Pardon me, please elaborate.

He didn't say that. The title said that.
To make it quick, I'm atheist. I think that everyone praying to space ghost, or anyone else, is a loon. I NEVER say that out loud, because I can have my opinion without being a jerk about it..I know folks will have pretty strong feelings about what I believe.

I see no reason to cake a crucifix in manure, draw Moe, or any other thing that can bring folks to show their idiocy or display violence. I'm not excusing it (and I know that's exactly how it's gonna be interpreted). I, personally, don't feel the need.

Hope that clears things up. I was just surprised that they'd be "done" with it after all the hoopla..sorry if that's a no no..

and this thread is already derailed by the first reply. Great job there.

Anyway, it sounds like a good thing, because beating the same drum isn't what (good) satire is about. Satire isn't bound by social expectations of which group can be shat on, everybody needs to get shat on so that everybody knows nobody ranks above the other.
Making radical islam a specific target would defeat that purpose.

There are also much better ways to target such beliefs than going after one odd rule.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm confused on the content of the op vs the title.

Declaring you won't draw it again and are moving on is indeed a defeatist attitude IMO.

They should be open to drawing it if the occasion arises whenever that may be. Vastly different than doing it frequently.

TSM

During an interview with the Hamburg-based news magazine "Stern," editor of the French weekly "Charlie Hebdo" said he would no longer draw comics of the Muslim prophet Muhammad.

This is certainly understandable.

and this thread is already derailed by the first reply. Great job there.

Yes, I'm sure the threat of violence to themselves, their family and their friends had no bearing on this decision.

Averon

I find it strange though that he seems to say that they'll do it never again. I mean surely in the future there could be some kind of event where it would feel appropriate to draw another Mohammed caricature.

If they said they weren't going to draw Mohammed for a while as they don't want to be restricted to just satirizing Islam I'd understand. But never drawing Mohammed again? I cannot see how that isn't a complete victory for extremists.

injurai

Banned
Mature of him. Him and Salmon Rushdie made me realise that there are reactionary extremist crazies that won't just have a peaceful protest (not even worthy protesting imo as a Muslim who should accept differences) but will fight you to the death for expressing yourself. They are pathetic cowards.

Him and Rushdie or the islamists who seek to replace democracy with sharia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom