• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

kL5KHz0.png

pushing that both sides really far.

Can't even condemn some hate groups, lol.

Mac_Lane

Justin Amash‏ @justinamash

Racism is vile and the #Charlottesville rally is disgusting. Let's stand as Americans for the self-evident truth that all are created equal.

Even Justin Amash has a proper reaction...

KingK

Can anyone give me a summary of what went down last night and today? Anyone have numbers for how many showed up last night or today?

Google isn't really bringing up any numbers and only the vaguest of details.

RocknRola

You should see what we carved into a mountain on some Indian lands in South Dakota.

Mount Rushmore? I imagine the whole "look, we're gonna buid this on lands that were supposed to be yours" didn't go well with the local Indian people.

States rights. These men were heroes for many.

"Heroes". Again, baffling.

Back then, I believe the Vice president was the person of the opposite party who lost the election. So when Lincoln died, we got basically reverse Lincoln, who swept allll that shit under the rug.

Unfortunate, if accurate.

benjipwns

Banned
Spencer said he didn't resist because he knew it'd be used by the media to smear him. He was detained because the cops were telling them to move or something but they couldn't so the communist militarized police attacked him. Then released him to leave. Then he and his small group immediately left. Which is why he tweeted out that semi-cryptic "GET OUT OF THE CITY LIMITS IMMEDIATELY" message.

Even Justin Amash has a proper reaction...
Even...psch, he's much better than the Detroit Right Wings. Best Michigan House GOP member by parsecs.

Back then, I believe the Vice president was the person of the opposite party who lost the election. So when Lincoln died, we got basically reverse Lincoln, who swept allll that shit under the rug.

Not quite - that rule was from much earlier. Johnson was a Democrat however (this being before the parties shifted focuses over the subsequent century). He had run with Lincoln as part of a 'National Union' party ticket - with Johnson's support as a way of showing how victory in the Civil War was an American issue, not just a Republican one. He was at odds with the rest of the government though - because yeah, he wasn't keen on 'punishing' the South - which is why he was the first President to be impeached, though the Senate acquitted him by one vote.

I'd feel bad for their urban centers. Many are deep blue pockets in seas of red and if Trump's Nazis had their way those pockets would be torn to shreds.

Well, what we do have are red state legislatures using their power to step on blue cities in a childish, counter-productive fashion, so not much better.

Owari

This rot isn't isolated to the south. It exists in every state in the union.
You only ever see protests like this in the south though. They'd be way too scared to try this in say, LA for example. (Unfortunate.. it'd be hilarious to watch them try.)

stuminus3

What a waste of a Saturday, imagine spending such a lovely afternoon yelling in the street when you could be at home playing Mario Kart or entertaining the wife/girlfriend of a neo nazi who's out in the street yelling.

This is very true, the south is not all racist. Here in Florida, we are actually a very diverse population, particularly in the urban centers. I am from the south, and when I visited Ohio was was literally shocked how racist af it was.
Every region has it's unique flavor of racism. :/
Well, what we do have are red state legislatures using their power to step on blue cities in a childish, counter-productive fashion, so not much better.
I was not speaking metaphorically when I said they'd be torn to shreds. The current situation is far better than what would happen under a Neo Confederacy.

Surfinn

He's also a racist and sympathises with white nationalists so if he says anything other than, "Go on my boys!" it'll ring a bit hollow.
Yeah my point is that when it comes to literally anything else, Trump is first to blast anything and anyone on Twitter. When it comes to racism and bigotry, all the sudden he had Twitter restraint and takes hours to respond. Hmm

III-V

You only ever see protests like this in the south though. They'd be way too scared to try this in say, LA for example. (Unfortunate.. it'd be hilarious to watch them try.)

The location was picked because there is a remainder of confederate statues in the city center. Many people came from out of state. See AirBnB news from last week. And alt-right shit has happened in Berkely as well. The new Alt-right movement was not stemmed from the KKK. Didn't see any hoods today.

thats the truth.

BruceCLea

Banned
The reason Trump's taking so long is that Pence is trying really hard to pull a small statue of Robert E Lee's head out of his ass.

Who am I kidding? Trump has no idea who Lee is.

TS-08

I wonder what staff member stole Donald's phone for a minute to tweet this?

Why? This is a "both sides" message that doesn't identify the actual cause of the hate and violence. I am sure Trump was involved in it. This is clearly a concerted effort by the White House to not take a side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom