• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's not an argument. There's no logic there. That's an extreme analogy without much substantiation. Do you want to provide us something reasoned and thought out instead so we can have a good discussion?
As reasoned and well thought out as notallnazis™?

Late Flag

"Guys wait until the nazis resort to violence to do something about it."

*A nazi runs over a bunch of people during a white nationalist rally*

"GUYS STOP fighting back, that one nazi doesn't represent ALL nazis."

I don't think anybody is saying that. It's more like this is why we have a police force instead of relying on vigilantism.

That's not an argument. There's no logic there. That's an extreme analogy without much substantiation. Do you want to provide us something reasoned and thought out instead so we can have a good discussion?

You want us to have empathy for Nazis, most people here won't cause duh, Nazis.

Caja 117

It's the actions of a spare few extreme that speak very loudly. Are Nazis running us over in minivans en masse?

I understand where you're going: If we allow this kind of thing to continue without retaliation, then they're gonna put all of us in concentration camps! I understand this extrapolation... but think it's a bit of an oversimplification.

A few Nazis running crowds over in minivans won't directly lead to the mass imprisonment of minorities in concentration camps. There will be a lot of fighting, potentially violent and also political, before that last step has the chance of happening.

But really, since we're doubting the justice system here... are you confident that this person or persons who just ran over a crowd of people in this car won't face jail time? Our system's flawed, but I think we can pretty much guarantee that these aggressors are gonna get a hefty sentence.
I see that driver saying it was an accident and he was scared whilst he drove away and I see a jury with someone like benjipwn eager to give benefit of the doubt, so He might get out with no real sentence.

From what the news sites are saying, no fatalities as of yet. Which is nice to hear after the car videos since that looked like it could have easily killed quite a few on its own. Anyone got family or friends in the area?

stop the hyperbole.

Dude, hyperbole is the lifeblood of the internet. Don't hold your breath on that one.

benjipwns

Banned
Was it nazi protestors that also got hit? The net is filled with fudd on this.
From the RevolutionZ video it looked more like counterprotestors who were simply milling about like they were headed back from the protest, I'd need a map of the area to tell you more than my idle speculation.

LiK

I see that driver saying it was an accident and he was scared whilst he drove away and I see a jury with someone like benjipwn eager to give benefit of the doubt, so He might get out with no real sentence.

There's clear video that he drove full speed from really far away where there were no protestors that were blocking him or surrounded him. Dude is fucked when they present evidence. He could've just turned around where he fled when he reversed.

Wvrs

Even if it wasn't a state of war nazism shouldn't be tolerated, how in the world is this even remotely a discussion. Stop telling minorities how to respond to the people who're actively trying to oppress them and at this point are openly attacking them more than usual

I don't give a shit, vigilantism and peacetime society are incompatible, so either admit that what you want is an open, declared state of violence like in 1930s Spain or let the law handle it. You can't cherry pick when it's okay to take matters into your own hands, do you want people kicking the shit out of you openly every time they disagree with you? Because the semantics of what constitutes a Nazi aside, the precedent you're wanting to set is: it's okay to commit violence against people who you don't agree with, especially when they're X group.

Who gets to decide who is a Nazi? Where does the line get drawn? What happens when the parameters for acceptable violence expands from Nazis to other groups?

I worry about some of you guys and how much you let emotion cloud rational judgement.

Protein

Banned
The engine bay is damaged enough that I wouldn't be surprised if he got away from the scene and took off on foot.

He won't get very far if he did get away. VIN+license plate means cops are swarming his house yesterday.

Thread title should be updated to include terrorist attack.

benjipwns

Banned
You shouldn't, as I'd never get past voir dire.

Is all that damage just from hitting the people or did the driver hit something else trying to escape?
He hit some cars that were backed up at an intersection which is what stopped him.

Akronis

I don't give a shit, vigilantism and peacetime society are incompatible, so either admit that what you want is an open, declared state of violence like in 1930s Spain or let the law handle it. You can't cherry pick when it's okay to take matters into your own hands, do you want people kicking the shit out of you openly every time they disagree with you? Because the semantics of what constitutes a Nazi aside, the precedent you're wanting to set is: it's okay to commit violence against people who you don't agree with, especially when they're X group.

Who gets to decide who is a Nazi? Where does the line get drawn? What happens when the parameters for acceptable violence expands from Nazis to other groups?

I worry about some of you guys and how much you let emotion cloud rational judgement.

Black people are getting killed in broad daylight by law enforcement and nothing is being done.

Talking to racists, Nazis, etc. doesn't fucking work.

You shouldn't need help figuring out what a facist/Nazi is btw, you're just trying to cloud the issue saying shit like that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Stop downplaying white nationalism as just a difference of opinion.

Literally read the title of this thread.

What's the rational reaction to white nationalism becoming more and more prevalent even in the white house?

geestack

It's the actions of a spare few extreme that speak very loudly. Are Nazis running us over in minivans en masse?

I understand where you're going: If we allow this kind of thing to continue without retaliation, then they're gonna put all of us in concentration camps! I understand this extrapolation... but think it's a bit of an oversimplification.

A few Nazis running crowds over in minivans won't directly lead to the mass imprisonment of minorities in concentration camps. There will be a lot of fighting, potentially violent and also political, before that last step has the chance of happening.

But really, since we're doubting the justice system here... are you confident that this person or persons who just ran over a crowd of people in this car won't face jail time? Our system's flawed, but I think we can pretty much guarantee that these aggressors are gonna get a hefty sentence.

i don't think you can say that 'these are the actions of a spare few extreme' when they just held a rally in charlottesville and elected a president who they think is the 2nd coming of hitler.

also, your belief in the justice system is misplaced considering that republican politicians are introducing legislation to PROTECT people who run over peaceful protestors in the streets: NC House Passes Bill Shielding Drivers Who Hit Protesters

your theoretical moment of reckoning is already passing you by and you choose to keep debating the nazis. the concentration camp aint that far off, you just want to think it is.

moeman

Seems like this event emboldened other white nationalists. My university is also going to have a white radicalist led protest on September 11th. This isn't surprising because Richard Spencer spoke at my school and we are the most conservative school in the nation. We need to mobilize and drown out their voices.

Damn GAF, you guys lean way lefter than NOVA. Ya'll are trying to make me out to be Stephen Miller when I'm just trying to make an argument for non-violence.

That's the point. He lost the right to humanity.
There's no such thing.
Right, because in this current political climate, we should go soft on nazis.
There's a difference between that and tortue.
I like where your priorities are focused on. Being humane to people that would murder others for being inclusive.
I have a firm anti-torture stance (and once did a report on the harm of youth solitary confinement which also strengthens my views), so yes my focus will always partially be on counteracting where justified outraged leads towards not so justified outcomes.
Get back to me in three years and 50 more of these attacks and try and say this again
I probably will hold the same stance.

Fercho

I guess it's starting to become time my American friends (of all colors who are against this bullshit) to start taking the streets and do more than "pacific protesting"

I have a firm anti-torture stance (and once did a report on the harm of youth solitary confinement which also strengthens my views), so yes my focus will always partially be on counteracting where justified outraged leads towards not so justified outcomes.

I see yours stances does nothing to dissuade would be terrorist to become radicalized. Miss me with that bs.

Caja 117

There's clear video that he drove full speed from really far away where there were no protestors that were blocking him or surrounded him. Dude is fucked when they present evidence. He could've just turned around where he fled when he reversed.

All Im saying Thats up to a Jury to decide, and it only takes one jury member to mess up a case against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom