• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: Fast Food with 'Integrity' (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Meier said:
Dude.. it's obviously not that healthy in all cases. 2070 calories and 91 grams of fat in a burrito -- it don't mean shit if the meat's organic then. I like Chipotle. It's good. I probably ate at one before you did, but their food is not as good as Moe's to me -- plain and simple, nothing is. Tijuana Flats comes darn close, but they're not in Tallahassee either.

Yeah it doesn't look healthy when you don't know what the ingredients are and all you see is nutritional facts. That burrito probably has everything on it, big deal. I know you like Moe's more than Chipotle, I don't know why people have to come into these threads and hate on Chipotle while saying their favorite burrito place is a gift from god.

Wikipedia says Moe's was founded in 2000 btw.

yacobod

Banned
duderon said:
McDonald's stake in Chipotle didn't matter to me as long as they didn't compromise what the company set out to do. Make food that tasted good.

you need to leave out the "healthy" bit out, the burritos are far from healthy

i agree with the taste good tho :p

C4Lukins

Maya said:
Had to dig this out...

471022s.jpg

That is such BS. Yeah if you put everything on it, and then pour your coke on it, and then crush up the chips and shove them in the burrito.

It is not healthy though. I put a lot of stuff on mine and it comes out to about 1200 calories. Of course that is pretty much the only meal I will be having all day when I eat there.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
yacobod said:
you need to leave out the "healthy" bit out, the burritos are far from healthy

i agree with the taste good tho :p

They're definitely healthy. Please inform my why they aren't?

And don't reference that nutritional facts sheet. Tell me why the ingredients aren't healthy.

Meier

duderon said:
The article even says it was founded in 1993. Why are you even arguing this?

dude(ron)... I didn't question which company was founded earlier, I said when it went national. The only one who is arguing here is you. :lol You're the one who said that Moe's was on Chipotle's coattails, when the simple fact is they've been more prevalent for a longer time period. That isn't debatable. :lol

You can have healthy ingredients and not have a final product that is good for you. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and some of her Boca Burgers or whatever run 25+ grams of fat. They're not healthy at that point, even if the fat is coming from soy instead of beef.

yacobod

Banned
duderon said:
They're definitely healthy. Please inform my why they aren't?

And don't reference that nutritional facts sheet. Tell me why the ingredients aren't healthy.

i'm telling you its not healthy because if you eat there all the time you will prolly have a double chin like the dude in your avatar :lol

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:
dude(ron)... I didn't question which company was founded earlier, I said when it went national. The only one who is arguing here is you. :lol You're the one who said that Moe's was on Chipotle's coattails, when the simple fact is they've been more prevalent for a longer time period. That isn't debatable. :lol

You can have healthy ingredients and not have a final product that is good for you. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and some of her Boca Burgers or whatever run 25+ grams of fat. They're not healthy at that point, even if the fat is coming from soy instead of beef.

25 grams of fat isn't that big of a deal for anyone remotely active. The difference between the fat coming from the soy instead of the beef is that the soy isn't a processed meat patty that probably only contains 10% of the original cow (the other 90% being random chemicals) that is subsequently dipped in grease and cooked on a grill.

There are good fats and bad fats, you can't look at nutrition as something black and white.

wow, i think chipotle is garbage. ate there twice with friends, never going back if i can help it.

i recently tried a qdoba chicken quesadilla and i enjoyed it and actually got 2 meals out of it.

still, i much prefer hole in the wall joints (la posada - 3rd ave and 27th st) or a legit mexican restaurant (dos caminos - park ave south and 26th st)...in nyc, anyway.

Meier

404Ender said:
25 grams of fat isn't that big of a deal for anyone remotely active. The difference between the fat coming from the soy instead of the beef is that the soy isn't a processed meat patty that probably only contains 10% of the original cow (the other 90% being random chemicals) that is subsequently dipped in grease and cooked on a grill.

There are good fats and bad fats, you can't look at nutrition as something black and white.

It might not be as bad for you, but it's still not healthy. The vegan Boca Burgers with 1 gram of fat are healthy without debate. I agree that soy-based fat obviously isnt as bad for you in the grand scheme of things as meat-based fat, but the point remains that just because it's "healthy" in theory, doesn't mean you can overindulge.

A burrito that is 90 grams of fat (heck even 60) from partially natural meat is NOT healthier than one that's 25 grams of fat and might not be. There's no way you're convincing me of that.

LiveWire

levious said:
their rice sucks... really holds the package back, at least with the burritos.

that's quite a fantasy perception. No one spends $6.50 plus at a typical fast-food restaurant.

Uh, you don't live in a major city then. A normal fast food meal STARTS at $5.25+ here in DC. A Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese meal is $6.50.

And yea, their rice sucks. Qdoba is better.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:
A burrito that is 90 grams of fat (heck even 60) from partially natural meat is NOT healthier than one that's 25 grams of fat and might not be. There's no way you're convincing me of that.

I'm not trying to. Go ahead and try to make a burrito with that much fat though, you'd have to try really hard. Most at Chipotle are between 20-35, and that is not a huge issue if that's your entire meal. 30 grams of fat for one meal is perfectly fine.

My entire high school basketball team used to eat at Chipotle 3-4 times a week, and none of us were even close to fat. And I went to a small school so it's not like our workouts were incredibly intense. We also ate it that much in the offseason without issues.

It's sure not as healthy as say, steamed broccoli and a soy burger, but compared to the majority of restaurant food it's pretty damn healthy.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Meier said:

Well when the facts don't back up what you're saying how can you have an argument? Moe's has 350 restaurants in the US right now. Chipotle had 480 at the end of 2005 and have over 500 restaurants right now. Who's more prevalent, now?

There are different kinds of fat you know, I'm no biologist but I know fats from Omega-3 and 6s are good for you. I call bullshit on that having all healthy ingredients and not having a healthy final product. Example?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
LiveWire said:
Uh, you don't live in a major city then. A normal fast food meal STARTS at $5.25+ here in DC. A Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese meal is $6.50.

And yea, their rice sucks. Qdoba is better.

I live in DC! 10 percent sales tax on food even.

Meier

404Ender said:
I'm not trying to. Go ahead and try to make a burrito with that much fat though, you'd have to try really hard. Most at Chipotle are between 20-35, and that is not a huge issue if that's your entire meal. 30 grams of fat for one meal is perfectly fine.

I just created one on that site with the tortilla, rice, black beans, meat, salsa, cheese and lettuce and it's 43 grams of fat. If you add sour cream and guac as many people do, it's 68. If I got steak instead of the barbacoa (which is what I order when I go there), it's still 39 grams of fat compared to 25 for Moe's.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Meier said:
I just created one on that site with the tortilla, rice, black beans, meat, salsa, cheese and lettuce and it's 43 grams of fat. If you add sour cream and guac as many people do, it's 68. If I got steak instead of the barbacoa (which is what I order when I go there), it's still 39 grams of fat compared to 25 for Moe's.

Not all fats are bad for you. If this was trans fat you would be right, but fat from guacamole, and animal meat are not all detrimental to your health.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:

And you think that's what a typical person looking to eat healthy would order? How many people can actually finish those gigantic burritos unless they have fast metabolisms anyways? Most people don't order Guac because it's an extra $1.50ish. A lot of people forgo the sour cream. That's the difference between the person who walks into Burger King and orders just a cheeseburger and the one that orders the one with Bacon and 4 patties.

And again, there are good fats and bad fats, as someone above me mentioned. You also have to consider how much protein you're getting with it. That 43 grams of fat probably also came with 65 grams of protein, which is awesome. Chipotle is the perfect post-workout snack for me.

Speaking of which, I'm headed to lift right now. I'll be back though.

Phoenix

Maybe they should first focus on making their stuff as tasty as Moes first and not packing the burritos full of a pound of rice.

LiveWire

levious said:
I live in DC! 10 percent sales tax on food even.

Then you must be ordering piecemeal instead of "value meal." Regardless, the assumption that people spend $6.50 on lunch in the interview is not "fantasy". Today I had a coupon for a free drink with purchase of a footlong sub at Subway. Total cost, $5.71. The full meal (chips and drink) would've been closer to 8, just a sub+drink without coupon would've been 7.

Lunch averages $6.50-7.00 in the District, unless you eat the daily special at that greasy chinese place on M Street downtown. Then it's only $4.50+tax! :lol

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Phoenix said:
Maybe they should first focus on making their stuff as tasty as Moes first and not packing the burritos full of a pound of rice.

You can tell the employee to go easy on the rice, you know :)

Meier

404Ender said:
And you think that's what a typical person looking to eat healthy would order?

I dont think a person looking to eat healthy would go to a burrito joint most of the time, or they're not looking that hard. :lol

duderon said:
I call bullshit on that having all healthy ingredients and not having a healthy final product. Example?

Fake meat lasagna with fake cheese and fake everything is still going to have a shitload of fat and calories in it. The stuff might all be "healthy" by itself (or at least less unhealthy than the real thing), but when you put it all together, it's no longer healthy.

A salad stops being healthy when you add any salad dressing that isn't fat free. Most of the time, you're looking at more fat than a chicken sandwich or something once you add cheese and dressing.

Link

The Autumn Wind
levious said:
I'd have to agree. As much as I love their burritos, the rice has this funky taste to it.

Both chains are good, but I'm with Meier and Phoenix in picking Moe's. Being able to get your burrito grilled to make it crunchy without hastle and not paying extra for guacamole are huge pluses in my book.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Meier said:
I dont think a person looking to eat healthy would go to a burrito joint most of the time, or they're not looking that hard. :lol

Fake meat lasagna with fake cheese and fake everything is still going to have a shitload of fat and calories in it. The stuff might all be "healthy" by itself (or at least less unhealthy than the real thing), but when you put it all together, it's no longer healthy.

A salad stops being healthy when you add any salad dressing that isn't fat free. Most of the time, you're looking at more fat than a chicken sandwich or something once you add cheese and dressing.

Okay, but most stuff that is dubbed "natural" or "organic" will be good for you. As for salad dressing, that's not a healthy ingredient, now is it?

Seth C

levious said:

that's quite a fantasy perception. No one spends $6.50 plus at a typical fast-food restaurant.

You mean no one spend $6.50 plus at McDonalds. But at other fast food joints? Burger King, Sonic, Subway, Arby's...my typical meal at any of those places is $6 and tax.

Meier

Salad dressing isn't healthy inherently, but a salad is an example of something people claim as a healthy alternative, when it frequently is not in reality.

Javaman

I always get a kick when resturaunts and stores preach the lack of hormones in their pork...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Pork_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp
USDA said:
Can Antibiotics and Hormones Be Used in Pork Raising?
Antibiotics may be given to prevent or treat disease in hogs. A "withdrawal" period is required from the time antibiotics are administered until it is legal to slaughter the animal. This is so residues can exit the animal's system and won't be in the meat.

FSIS randomly samples pork at slaughter and tests for residues. Data from this monitoring program have shown a very low percentage of residue violations.

No hormones are used in the raising of hogs.

This interview just oozes advertising.

Triumph

Banned
Local Burrito joints ftw. I can go to Willy's, a local place that has been doing this for more than 12 years. Or Raging Burrito, where I can get awesome shit like seasoned potatoes in my burrito or the tasty Sidney Salad Burrito.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
way too many people care way too much about the whole "organic" movement. it's a bunch of hoodoo bullplop.

and if you're so worried about being healthy, maybe instead of looking for a "healthy burrito," which is itself a paradoxical statement by my estimation, you should have a salad and do some sit-ups.

yacobod

Banned
beelzebozo said:
and if you're so worried about being healthy, maybe instead of looking for a "healthy burrito," which is itself a paradoxical statement by my estimation, you should have a salad and do some sit-ups.

abs are made in the kitchen, not gym :D

Phoenix

duderon said:
You can tell the employee to go easy on the rice, you know :)

Can I tell them to go hard on the flavor and give me the damn chips for free too? I think having to pay for the chips was the straw that broke me.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
beelzebozo said:
way too many people care way too much about the whole "organic" movement. it's a bunch of hoodoo bullplop.

Cool, whatever you want to think. I'll eat my "healthy" burritos and you can keep eating your other fast-foods and do lots of sit-ups. Win-win.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't really eat a lot of fast food. i cook quite a bit. i'm not really arguing for it or against it, to be honest--i just think it's better if people are aware that they're not doing themselves some great gastronomical favor by eating a burrito simply because it claims to be "organic" or "hormone free."

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Phoenix said:
Can I tell them to go hard on the flavor and give me the damn chips for free too? I think having to pay for the chips was the straw that broke me.

Try the carnitas or barbacoa, also try different salsas if you haven't already. I'm not so worried about the chips, but it is a bummer that they charge for them.

Macam

Banned
Taichu said:
I've never heard of a restaurant named Chipotle.

It's okay, I've never heard of a restaurant called Moe's (unless it's the same thing as that Southwestern Grill placed they opened off campus recently). For the record, I had no idea I was provoking open burrito warfare with this thread; this thread has certainly taken an amusing turn.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
beelzebozo said:
i don't really eat a lot of fast food. i cook quite a bit. i'm not really arguing for it or against it, to be honest--i just think it's better if people are aware that they're not doing themselves some great gastronomical favor by eating a burrito simply because it claims to be "organic" or "hormone free."

I think they will be doing themselves a huge favor compared to other fast food restaurants, but cooking your own food is always the best way to go. You always know what you're putting in and know what you're going to get out of it.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Macam said:
It's okay, I've never heard of a restaurant called Moe's (unless it's the same thing as that Southwestern Grill placed they opened off campus recently). For the record, I had no idea I was provoking open burrito warfare with this thread; this thread has certainly taken an amusing turn.

I knew the haters would come out in full force. Whenever there's a thread about Chipotle's success, people seem to read the title as "Post Your Favorite Burrito Joint and Why You Think Chipotle Sucks!"

Meier

Macam said:
It's okay, I've never heard of a restaurant called Moe's (unless it's the same thing as that Southwestern Grill placed they opened off campus recently).

It's called Moe's Southwest Grill, so that probably is indeed it. Check it out, their food is amazing -- less than 6 bucks for a burrito and chips too which is hard to beat. They sell beer as well if you're feeling like a Corona or something.

temp

posting on contract only
levious said:

I JUST finished my $6.01 chalupa meal from Taco Bell. That's not even from a big city, either (Factoria Mall in Washington).

GhaleonEB

They're pretty good. Not the best "big burrito" place I've been to - and there's tons of them where I'm from - but not bad. The price is good.

As for the calorie debates, that has much more to do with the portions than the quality of the ingredients. I try to split my burritos up accross two meals. (And don't get all of the fillings, like sour cream.)

yacobod

Banned
duderon said:
I knew the haters would come out in full force. Whenever there's a thread about Chipotle's success, people seem to read the title as "Post Your Favorite Burrito Joint and Why You Think Chipotle Sucks!"

do you own stock in chipotle or something? u might be the first burrito fanboy on gaf :D

Javaman

shantyman said:
Grass fed, free range. That means nothing?

What is it about grass that makes it better then other feed?

As far as free range goes...

wiki said:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outdoors in order to receive the free-range certification. Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means. Many egg farmers sell their eggs as free range merely because their cages are 2 or 3 inches above average size, or there is a window in the shed.

According to the USDA, there is no specific definition for "free-range" beef, pork, and other non-poultry products. All USDA definitions of "free-range" refer specifically to poultry. No other criteria-such as the size of the range or the amount of space given to each animal-are required before beef, lamb, and pork can be called "free-range;" for these animals, it amounts to little more than an unsubstantiated marketing claim. The USDA relies "upon producer testimonials to support the accuracy of these claims."

I can't believe that people buy into this expensive advertising crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom