• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana March 2024: #1 Dragon's Dogma #3 MLB: The Show #5 Rise of Ronin #6 Peach; PS5 #1 Units + Rev, Switch #2 Units Xbox #2 Rev

rm082e

Props to Elden Ring for being a 2 year old largely single player game still in the top 20. Got more recent big budget games like SM2 already about to fall off the list.

Folks trying to get their legs back before Shadow of the Erdtree launches?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hardware Estimates from IB:

PS5: 460K
NSW: 240K
XBS: 195K

This is NUTS!!! 70% (PS5) to 30% (XBS) in America is out of this world bad for MS. Phil has GOT to lose his job this year!!!

EDITED

PS5: 525K
NSW: 235K
XBS: 205K

So these are the real numbers and it's even worse. 72% PS5 vs. 28% XBS. It's almost 3-to-1 in Xbox's best territory. Please Nadal, FIRE PHIL!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SM2 was a really mid game though. Totally unnecessary would be a good term also.

People have a really weird way of letting a narrative tell a story, rather than letting the data do the talking. SM2 has sold over 12 million units in 6 or so months. On ONE platform. Why are we comparing it to Elden Ring and coming away with SM2 did bad or didn't perform great?

nial

Gold Member
Launch aligned sales figures last gen vs current gen:
ZXUnTGU.jpeg
I demand 2017 Wii U numbers now.

onQ123

This is NUTS!!! 70% (PS5) to 30% (XBS) in America is out of this world bad for MS. Phil has GOT to lose his job this year!!!

EDITED

So these are the real numbers and it's even worse. 72% PS5 vs. 28% XBS. It's almost 3-to-1 in Xbox's best territory. Please Nadal, FIRE PHIL!
Phil isn't the problem & he actually fought harder for Xbox than anyone else would have at this point . PlayStation is just too big on the console side & Xbox 360 & Wii where just a stroke of luck because of the mistakes made with PS3 other than that there was no chance of a home console surviving the landslide. Nintendo got completely out of PlayStation way after the Gamecube & now Xbox is doing the same thing.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
PC port of HFW bombed. And it was a great port.

Makes me wonder what the point is at this point and why Sony bothers.
It did exactly as expected for a 2yo game that was avaliable even on sub service for quite some time. And considering it's quite hardware-hungry too.

Dev costs for these ports is floating around 1 to 3 million USD, so in the end ROI is always at least worth it (Sackboy was the only port that kinda bombed). The PC HFW has around 40K peak CCU with 350k owner estimates and 91% of positive reviews so it did just fine. It will earn even more money on promotions, sales and overall staying power of the platform, especially when people will upgrade their old rigs and will look for a benchmark.

Considering that SIE brings the SP-games ports to PC only after the console sales are stalled, it's basically free money for Sony.

Last edited:

H-I-M

The Xbox engagement chart is a little bit surprising. No starfield, no FM, the recent first party tentpole releases missing even on gamepass engagement is a little strange.

What's surprising is how Helldiver heavily benefited from being on PC, while Starfield didn't and completely bombed instead.

Also, here's the NPD chart for March 2020 when Nioh 2 launched on PS4. Rise of the Ronin sold considerably better with fewer weeks of tracking, and people from the install base suggest that it might be the biggest NPD launch for Koei Tecmo ever.

[#3] March (March 01 - April 04) - 5 Weeks* COVID-19 declared a National Emergency March 17
Rank​
Prior Month​
Game​
Weeks in Tracking​
1NEWAnimal Crossing: New Horizons3
2NEWDoom Eternal3
31Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)-
4NEWMLB: The Show 203
5NEWResident Evil 3 (2020)1
62NBA 2K20-
7-Persona 5-
83Grand Theft Auto V-
9-Borderlands 3-
10NEWNioh 24

Last edited:

Flabagast

I hope all the ps first party games bomb on PC.

Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football
They are bombing more and more

Playstation-PC-sales-figures-leaked.png

From what we know TLOU Part 1 is below Miles Morales, and the first estimates lead us to believe that forbidden west should just be a little above sackboy.
PC players are starting to reject pretty fiercely PS SP 1st party games

Last edited:
So PS5 has likely passed 20 million in the U.S now which means it has overtaken the lifetime total of the PSP (19.99m). Next up is the PS3 (26.87m), PS1 (30.18m), PS4 (34.76m) and PS2 (46.34m). I think it will eventually pass the PS4 due to the PS4 having it's tail cut short by component shortages.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It did exactly as expected for a 2yo game that was avaliable even on sub service for quite some time. And considering it's quite hardware-hungry too.

Dev costs for these ports is floating around 1 to 3 million USD, so in the end ROI is always at least worth it (Sackboy was the only port that kinda bombed). The PC HFW has around 40K peak CCU with 350k owner estimates and 91% of positive reviews so it did just fine. It will earn even more money on promotions, sales and overall staying power of the platform, especially when people will upgrade their old rigs and will look for a benchmark.

Considering that SIE brings the SP-games ports to PC only after the console sales are stalled, it's basically free money for Sony.

350k owners @ 59.99 * .7 = $15M dollars in revenue

Cost of porting was low single digit millions. You’re probably looking at only $10M in profit for one of the biggest AAA titles on PlayStation.

They only have at most 1-2 of these types of games per year they can eventually monetize on PC.

Does it make sense to sabotage their exclusive draw for selling consoles and play right into Microsoft’s hand when they announce a Steam side loading Xbox?

There is a major risk of people just getting a PC where they can play everything day and date except Sony games where they may have to wait a few years.

$10M in revenue for a major AAA title is an absolute joke and absolutely not worth porting over

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So, Xbox isn’t under performing. It’s PS5 that is over performing. I guess because of the coincidental fact that this first quarter software was pretty appealing.
Looking at that chart...Series consoles are selling less than XBO.

That isn't under performing?

I would say it's both PS5 over performing and Xbox under performing.

I think most ppl didn't think of xb1 as baseline, as that was already seen as underperforming.
But worth noting xb1 did much better in holiday seasons than s/x, which led to depressed Q1 sales too, so this isn't a great trend to be on.

Coming from 360 and disaster of Xbox One. With leadership change and more spending, Xbox Series was definitely expected to bounced back up. Series is underperforming!
Exactly.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
HFW doing poor is due to its release window.

You wanted to go head to head with DD2? Cmon son…

Radical_3d

Coming from 360 and disaster of Xbox One. With leadership change and more spending, Xbox Series was definitely expected to bounced back up. Series is underperforming!
But Xbox 360 success was an international success. I thought the internal market was always healthy for Xbox. Even with the One.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They are bombing more and more

Playstation-PC-sales-figures-leaked.png

From what we know TLOU Part 1 is below Miles Morales, and the first estimates lead us to believe that forbidden west should just be a little above sackboy.
PC players are starting to reject pretty fiercely PS SP 1st party games
All these ports and whoring out of your core franchises just for PC gamers who couldnt care less about these games.

Im pretty sure the first few games sold well because PC gamers thought they would see what the fuss was all about but these action adventure games have never sold well on PC. That audience is simply into different games.

Woopah

But Xbox 360 success was an international success. I thought the internal market was always healthy for Xbox. Even with the One.
Xbox One did pretty well in its first three years, even outselling the PS4 in some areas.

It didn't do quite so well in the 2nd half of its life though.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Did not meant to sound like 360 was also Disaster. Wording should’ve been “and then Xbox One disaster”.

Xbox Series is even tracking much worse than Xbox One.Wonder how much worse these recent numbers would be if it weren’t for the heavy discount sales during and since holidays.

Unknown?

It did okay in Europe but that is with UK helping out and poor in Asia(but an improvement over the OG). More than half of the sells were from North America.

Woopah

Well when they were projecting to sell 400m to 1billion units of Xbox One! It’s definitely a disaster when they only sold 57m! 😆
That quote was about gaming consoles as a whole, not just Xbox One:

"Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30%. So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That's if it's a game console, over the next decade.

We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."

The prediction was still wrong though. Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One got no where near 400 million.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

It did okay in Europe but that is with UK helping out and poor in Asia(but an improvement over the OG). More than half of the sells were from North America.
Did not meant to sound like 360 was also Disaster. Wording should’ve been “and then Xbox One disaster”.

Xbox Series is even tracking much worse than Xbox One.Wonder how much worse these recent numbers would be if it weren’t for the heavy discount sales during and since holidays.

That’s not my point. My point was that the One did well on NA, which are the numbers we’re discussing. And that having a few thousands less in a quarter is not significant.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
That’s not my point. My point was that the One did well on NA, which are the numbers we’re discussing. And that having a few thousands less in a quarter is not significant.
NA sales Xbox 360 46mill vs Xbox One 32mill is a disaster when MS wants to sell vastly more than 360.

This thread then comparing One vs Series basically same 200k is coping! When they obviously want to at least sell more or even more than 360. Why would comparing to lower console is good sign? 😆

Both One and Series sales are a disaster. Series is tracking a lot worst! 🤷‍♂️

Edit: For more context on how much MS projection for Xbox One scroll up to my convo with Woopah!

Last edited:

graywolf323

NA sales Xbox 360 46mill vs Xbox One 32mill is a disaster when MS wants to sell vastly more than 360.

This thread then comparing One vs Series basically same 200k is coping! When they obviously want to at least sell more or even more than 360. Why would comparing to lower console is good sign? 😆

yep, the Series wasn’t supposed to do worse than the One, it was supposed to be a return to form

instead Phil Spencer (who never gets any blame for the disaster that was Xbox One) has managed to come in below that even, not even in the U.S. which is by far their strongest territory are they tracking above it, meanwhile PS5 is tracking ahead of PS4

Unknown?

Edit: For more context on how much MS projection for Xbox One scroll up to my convo with Woopah!
To be fair, 32 million is likely what the 360 actually sold without all the faulty units.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

EDITED

Better to sell off the gaming IP and make up some losses. No reason to overexpand. Just focus on cloud, office, and operating systems. I bet you could get like 100 billion for their ip!

Unknown?

This. So probably they expanded the user base with One (on NA). It’s not all doom and gloom (on NA).
Probably not though. I'd estimate they are a few million below 360 in real units(or consumer numbers) but not far off and as someone else mentioned: even though many were repeat customers and inflating the numbers, they still felt it was worth it to rebuy. That's big because faulty products tend to have people abandon it for something else.

Top Bottom