• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ciri actress asks fans to give Liam Hemsworth a chance as Geralt of Rivia

zkorejo

Nothing against Liam. The fuckin showrunner and writers are biggest bunch of losers I have ever seen.

They stumbled upon goldmine and still managed to fuck it all up. They had best Witcher, a huge audience from start, so much buzz, books easy to translate over for tv show.. just how silly one has to be to fuck it up that bad.

I would have stopped after 2nd season (that finale was atrocious), but stayed for Henry. Now that he's gone there's no hope.

Last edited:

Dazraell

To me it's not even about a new actor. This show was always awful and I don't blame lack of Cavill in a cast, but decisions of the showrunner. Even the first season, which admittedly wasn't that bad if compared to what came after had plenty of flaws and unecessary changes which made it significantly worse than a source material they based this on. So yeah, after what I saw in the past, I don't really have any hopes that Season 4 and 5 will be any better than what we got in past seasons

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The-Expendables-2-jean-claude-van-damme-33366266-245-245.gif

LordBritish

They had the perfect opportunity at the end of the last season to go from Cavil to Hemmsworth via a face changing spell... i thought it was actually gonna happen when I watched that last episode....
that would of been killer

I have nothing against the actor, just Season 3 was crap and no matter who you put in place of Geralt now, to visually change the main actor while you already got accustomed to another actor for 4 years is such a mind fuck. Its like im watching a totally different show. Batman Begins had a different actress for his girlfriend but she was only in the first movie, not that important to the story plus there was a 3 year gap before The Dark Knight came out and im pretty sure most people didnt even notice the swap in actress. But imagine if they replaced Christian Bale as Batman, it would throw you off.

Dazraell

I have nothing against the actor, just Season 3 was crap and no matter who you put in place of Geralt now, to visually change the main actor while you already got accustomed to another actor for 4 years is such a mind fuck. Its like im watching a totally different show. Batman Begins had a different actress for his girlfriend but she was only in the first movie, not that important to the story plus there was a 3 year gap before The Dark Knight came out and im pretty sure most people didnt even notice the swap in actress. But imagine if they replaced Christian Bale as Batman, it would throw you off.
I mean to be fair, Spartacus TV series pulled a lead actor change relatively well, all things considered. That being said, circumstances behind a lead change were very different (actor has passed away)

xrnzaaas

The whole situation is pretty funny. They made the effort to change the lead actor, but also announced when the show will be ending before people even had a chance to see Liam on screen. Feels like they don't expect the viewership to suddenly rise. ;)

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mike Myers No GIF

I don't want to see anyone interpret whatever those Witcher hating writers made, no matter the talent of the actor.
At least Cavill could push back as he cared for and knew the source material, we cannot expect this from Liam Hemsworth (he did not give us any reason to do so). I wonder what the writers will do unrestrained… :/.

The Striga episode early on was a good one. Telling that the writer on that one stormed off saying that many in the writing room didn’t like the source material. They should have gone off to work on that Wheel of Time nonsense and left it to people who got the character.

The Mandolorian was a good lesson in keeping your main character on screen and letting the world revolve around them and telling a coherent story. It also allows for greater variety in episodes.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If it soothes her mind, I wouldn’t have given the new season a chance even Cavill would have stayed. The writing is terrible.

Cyberpunkd

As many people said - casting was not a problem, it was the show runners that decided to treat the IP as another generic fantasy world, just with more monsters and STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMEN. All the Slavic humor (the first book starts with Geralt banding a Melitele temple girl, something that Neneke mentions after but doesn’t seem to care much), all the nuances (Nilfaard is actually the most advanced and tolerant nation, giving even dwarves and elves a semblance of normal life, whereas Northern Realms are a bunch of bigots) are gone.
Witcher has a very dedicated community, no wonder the series is getting shit.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
As many people said - casting was not a problem, it was the show runners that decided to treat the IP as another generic fantasy world, just with more monsters and STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMEN. All the Slavic humor (the first book starts with Geralt banding a Melitele temple girl, something that Neneke mentions after but doesn’t seem to care much), all the nuances (Nilfaard is actually the most advanced and tolerant nation, giving even dwarves and elves a semblance of normal life, whereas Northern Realms are a bunch of bigots) are gone.
Witcher has a very dedicated community, no wonder the series is getting shit.
Casting was a big fucking problem... since the beginning... the only right casting of the main characters was Geralt .. the rest? Fuck no.

The show did only one thing right in casting Cavill ... anything else was garbage.specially the story and casting for almost all female characters.

This crazy people really hate beautiful woman.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I didn't even watched the last season, after knewing they sacked Henry.

Plus, the writing in this is completely murdered.

Cyberpunkd

Casting was a big fucking problem... since the beginning... the only right casting of the main characters was Geralt .. the rest? Fuck no.

The show did only one thing right in casting Cavill ... anything else was garbage.specially the story and casting for almost all female characters.

This crazy people really hate beautiful woman.
Eh, to each his own. Probably the weakest casting was Ciri, but I think her lines have a lot to do with it. Yen was quite good. Triss was an abomination.

Denorion

Neo Member
The Mandolorian was a good lesson in keeping your main character on screen and letting the world revolve around them and telling a coherent story. It also allows for greater variety in episodes.
Didn't season 3 of the mandalorian go off rails because they wanted to focus on other characters, I didn't watch it because I heard it happens

Inuteu

this is a joke

the show is dead

but this girl is absolutely gorgeous and will get more work easyly in the future

Braag

I might give it a chance if the show runner and all the writers are replaced with competent writers who understand the source material.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I couldn't make it past the second issue of the first series. The problems with The Witcher TV show go much farther than just a different actor to play Geralt. It's *everything: the diverse casting, the nonsensical world building, the anachronisms, how Geralt is sidelined in favpr of other characters, the disdain for the source material, etc etc.

The Witcher games did everything right, all the Netflix people had to do was use that template for a tv show, but they fucked up everything because they felt they had to modernize The Witcher for modern audiences and absolutely ruined everything they touched. These people deserve the utmost ridicule and shouldn't be allowed to work in television ever again.

Dr.Morris79

Imagine getting the rights to a well established set of books and games, then having the perfect casting for your main character but you have zero clue about either the books or the games and can't write for shit and all your other casting is absolute turd. You then ask bereft fans to give it another chance as your perfect main character cast left because it was so shit and you were a bunch of clowns but you have another main character cast..

UG3c4XW.jpeg

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's gotta hurt trying to promote a show you know is basically dead. The attitude on set must have been terrible as well, or maybe Cavill was super grumpy all the time and things got better?

Normally I'd think the show would spice things up to try to woo back the core audience but I think that ship has sailed and there is no course correction possible.

The issue wasn't really with Henry Cavill leaving, it was and has always been the writing of this horrible, awful, no good adaptation. Hell, that IS the reason he left. I have no idea why these productions get greenlit with showrunners and writers who want to completely change the source material.

Princess Peach Animation GIF by Mashed

taizuke

Henry Cavil could magically come back, and it would still be a chore to get through if the writing remains the same.

I don't blame her for saying this, though.

Tams

They had the perfect opportunity at the end of the last season to go from Cavil to Hemmsworth via a face changing spell... i thought it was actually gonna happen when I watched that last episode....
that would of been killer

That would have required skill, imagination, and knowledge from the showrunners and writers though...

Durin

Neo Member
Nope. Only decent season was the 1st, everything after was crap, and Blood Origin was hot garbage.

They don't deserve a chance after repeated failure.

Top Bottom