• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

Lister

Banned
I went into the workshop to tsrat unsubscribing to mods.... ended up subscribing to 20 new ones. Mostly vehicles and a few buildings though so I think I'll be ok.

Thorgal

as far as i can tell , my modlist and savefile survived the patch without issue .

Had the foresight to put traffioc ++ in ghostmode last night so the only error i got was from the unlimited tree's mod .

So uh I'm getting an error message about right roads or something even though I've disabled all mods, do I have to unsubscribe from them?

Fuck looks like quite a few are having the same problem.

Berordn

It's been running fine for me, but I've only scratched the surface of it so far.

Kind of a shame that most of the new features only work on the new map type, though.

I've been playing for about an hour and have had zero issues so far (no mods). It's good fun. Not really sure what the temp gauge does but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon.

Steejee

Think I need to start fresh and blow away my mods before I dive into this. The 'throw it all away' method of spring cleaning.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've been playing for about an hour and have had zero issues so far (no mods). It's good fun. Not really sure what the temp gauge does but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon.

The lower the temperature, the higher the heat use becomes, I believe.

Lexxism

How cheap after dark DLC has been? It's 8 CAD on steam right now. I'm tempted to get it but I don't know if I have time to play this.

Ranger X

So is this basically a $13 snow mod?

Maybe you should have cared to read the previous page where all the expansion contains is described or read it on Steam? There's just as much content as with the After Dark expansion. After Dark only added the night I guess *rolleyes

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What's this now?

The game limits the actual agents...basically services and cars to about 65k. On a bigger city, like mine, this number is easily hit and services will await to spawn until another had despawned, basically breaking the game. People won't arrive to work, police and hearses and ambulances will stop arriving at places timely, etc. Essentially killing the city. It's unmoddable, it needs to be fixed inside the source code itself. They probably limited it to this so as not to kill CPUs, but give those of us with the ability to run higher numbers to add more agents. Otherwise by 80+ hour city with nearly 500k people has died:(

Lister

Banned
The game limits the actual agents...basically services and cars to about 65k. On a bigger city, like mine, this number is easily hit and services will await to spawn until another had despawned, basically breaking the game. People won't arrive to work, police and hearses and ambulances will stop arriving at places timely, etc. Essentially killing the city. It's unmoddable, it needs to be fixed inside the source code itself. They probably limited it to this so as not to kill CPUs, but give those of us with the ability to run higher numbers to add more agents. Otherwise by 80+ hour city with nearly 500k people has died:(

Oh that sucks. Is tha tlimit easily reachable in a stanadard game, or do you need to mod more areas in? Actually I think I have the more areas mod installed.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh that sucks. Is tha tlimit easily reachable in a stanadard game, or do you need to mod more areas in? Actually I think I have the more areas mod installed.

I think from the standard 9 tiles you can't get there.... Think..i had all tiles unlocked so my city grew a lot.

Kinda weird if the limit is 65k when the last milestone (Megalopolis) is population of 80k. I currently have city of 125k people and have not seen big problems with services (at least yet).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Kinda weird if the limit is 65k when the last milestone (Megalopolis) is population of 80k. I currently have city of 125k people and have not seen big problems with services (at least yet).
Not every people is an agent actually just the services tourists and cars.

I just spend an hour or two with my old city that I haven't messed with since last July, with all the additions/changes... Yeah I think I better just start a new city. "Sucksville" was never meant to be nothing more than a practice city to begin with and I ended up putting 75-80 hours into it.

Also I have sink holes... Guessing that might've been from something I removed though I didn't have a lot to begin with, forgot I had already cleared out a ton of the buildings I added from someone's package because of how that killed performance a while back.

VoxPop

I have the original game and played for about 10 minutes before being turned off by its difficulty. It also didn't seem to have much of the charm that Sim City had. That was just from initial impressions though. Is it that much better than Sim City? What are some of the benefits? I mostly play in Sandbox mode and just do whatever I want. Should I give this game another whirl?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If you don't like it, you don't like it. But 10 mins is hardly enough time to make such a judgement.

I struggled with my first two or so cities. Ended up bankrupt and couldn't expand. Would have to start over. But, I had no experience with city builders before, so I attribute it to the learning curve.

If anyone is curious and maybe if someone wants to make a topic about it, the base game is free to play from now until 10AM PST if you download it before 1PM PST Sunday.

There's also been another small patch released.

Ranger X

If you don't like it, you don't like it. But 10 mins is hardly enough time to make such a judgement.

I struggled with my first two or so cities. Ended up bankrupt and couldn't expand. Would have to start over. But, I had no experience with city builders before, so I attribute it to the learning curve.

Learning curve yet, because I swim in cash with my first city in this game. Can I ask you what the biggest problems in your city? From where is the cash flowing out?

spiritfox

I have the original game and played for about 10 minutes before being turned off by its difficulty. It also didn't seem to have much of the charm that Sim City had. That was just from initial impressions though. Is it that much better than Sim City? What are some of the benefits? I mostly play in Sandbox mode and just do whatever I want. Should I give this game another whirl?

If you want to play in sandbox there's the unlimited money and unlock all mods that comes with the base game.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Learning curve yet, because I swim in cash with my first city in this game. Can I ask you what the biggest problems in your city? From where is the cash flowing out?

That was when I was first starting out. I got the hang of it since then.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

If you like the SimCity games then yes give CSL another shot. I own all of the SimCity games (except for SC5 which I returned), my favorite is SC4 which I have played untold hundreds of hours with, and I think that CSL is better than all of them. I've actually uninstalled SC4 for the first time in over a decade because with CSL now I'll never play it again. All IMHO of course.

spiritfox

So after tearing my hair out with the horrible Steam Workshop interface, I realized what's the issue. I have too many assets. Which is weird cause it was totally fine before the patch. Sigh, now I have to see if it still loads if I resub to those assets that I unsubed.

Or maybe I'll just go and play some FE.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The 'let me check out the expansion real wuick' turned into a six hour session. I like so far. I wish the city would cycle through four seasons. That would be great. The first city I attempted, the power grid went straight to hell. The wind turbines weren't enough. I built a couple of them too.

I really hope the fix the traffic AI next time around. I will look into a traffic mod tomorrow.

Lister

Banned
Anyone else feel like the perpetual snow is a bit... depressing? I feel like my early city is a prison colony in Siberia.

Would have been nice ot see a little green peak out from time to time :)

Have to get back into this, haven't been back to Nubtown (my 2nd town, after Nubville) since the DLC came out.

One thing that does irritate my OCD with this game is when you place buildings on a hillside or any non-flat terrain. The building sits in a sit of "dip" which creates unsightly brown mounds around it that look horrible.

3xdawMI.jpg

MDVOAN6.jpg

DEO3

I can't really say anything in this expansion excites me all that much, but I'll buy it anyway just because I love the game and the team that made it. I did the same for the previous expansion.

Steejee

Have to get back into this, haven't been back to Nubtown (my 2nd town, after Nubville) since the DLC came out.

One thing that does irritate my OCD with this game is when you place buildings on a hillside or any non-flat terrain. The building sits in a sit of "dip" which creates unsightly brown mounds around it that look horrible.

3xdawMI.jpg

MDVOAN6.jpg

Get the terraforming mod.

Your OCD will love/hate you.

Havik

Anyone else have the problem that the population suddenly drops after the update?

I loaded my savefile and withing a few seconds i loose about 20k of my population, could it be caused by some mods that have been broken?

Kabouter

Oh, Snowfall is out?

EDIT: dang at those negative reviews tho

I mean, the thing that is going to mean middling or negative reviews for all expansions is pretty much the modding. A lot of the sensible additions to the base game are going to be things that modders have long added. I suspect a lot of these expansions will be more for people who use few or no mods than for the people running with hundreds of mods :p

Yeah, like I didn't have any issues, when the game loaded it told me something was broken so I went and disabled it. The few mods I used were more for statistical purposes aside from like the 25 tile unlock and the re-enable achievements one.

Top Bottom