• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Class Action lawsuit against Ticketmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when ticketmaster charged me to print my own ticket

Chemo said:
Ticketmaster defense force can fucking blow me.

Just be ready to pay the processing fee for that.

legend166

RustyO said:
$10 charge for postage? or $10 if I pick up and pay cash at the box office. Justifed how?

The large ticket seller in Australia (Ticketek) actually charges a fee for you to print out your tickets at home.

krae_man

MC Safety said:
My parents and I took a day trip that was to include a baseball game. I bought the tickets in advance from Ticketmaster, as it was the only venue through which to purchase seats in advance. When the game was rained out, Ticketmaster refused to refund my money, citing a ticket replacement policy wherein I'd have to accept tickets for another game.

How is that ticketmasters fault? The rain out policy is that of the team and you agreed to it when you purchased the ticket.

RustyO said:
$10 charge for postage? or $10 if I pick up and pay cash at the box office. Justifed how?

Every time I've bought tickets through ticketmaster regular mail is free. They only charge extra for expidited delivery. Delivery charge when bought in person? Make stuff up much?

andycapps said:
As said by someone else, $50 for a ticket isn't cheap. Most shows I go to are about $10. The most I paid recently was for the Avett Brothers and that was about $40 each for my wife and I, then another $25 maybe for the Ticketmaster fees. Yes, screw Ticketmaster.

There's a difference between going to an indy band at some small club and a Main Stream act at a major venue. $50 to see a main stream act at a major venue is cheap.

titiklabingapat said:
I don't see how this is not deceptive at all.

Fucking advertise the real price, or get slapped in the wrist like this. I'm all for it.

Where did I say it wasnt' deceptive? I said ticketmaster wasn't the one doing it. Would you blame ticketmaster if you went to a concert and the band sucked? Seems like everyone here thinks ticketmaster is at fault for everything.

Alucrid said:
This isn't just about service charges. This is about marking up shipping costs as well.

I don't think this has anything to do with overcharging for UPS. It seems like people are just unhappy about the existance of a per ticket service charge as well as a per order charge. The amount Ticketmaster charges for UPS delivery doesn't seem out of line with how much UPS would charge. Actually it looks like Ticketmaster has a frequent user discount. The only reason you might get overcharged is if you're local and select UPS delivery since ticketmaster charges a flat rate for all UPS orders because they quote you the cost before they even know where you live. Maybe this will result in the shipping option not being selected till after you've told them your shipping address.

Oh silly me I forgot what I said earlier. Blah blah blah ticketmaster sucks etc.

MC Safety

krae_man said:
How is that ticketmasters fault? The rain out policy is that of the team and you agreed to it when you purchased the ticket.

The rain out policy for tickets purchased at the stadium is dramatically different from that of ticketmaster.

Had I purchased tickets directly at the stadium box office, I would have been able to receive a refund.

Ticketmaster, which you are for some reason defending, refused to refund my money or issue a credit that could have been applied to see a local team or event.

Amory

Ticketmaster sucks the big one. When I'm paying nearly as much in fees as I am for the tickets to the event, something's very, very wrong.

And it's totally a monopoly, unless you're buying tickets from a season ticketholder or off ebay or whatever. They need some competition.

krae_man said:
Where did I say it wasnt' deceptive? I said ticketmaster wasn't the one doing it. Would you blame ticketmaster if you went to a concert and the band sucked? Seems like everyone here thinks ticketmaster is at fault for everything.
So because TM is not the only company that deceives the public, it's okay?

For one thing, the service fees are not apparent until you go to actually check out. At this point, you've already made plans with friends/family/whoever and committed to going and/or discussed splitting the costs. Then when you finally checkout you realize it was actually nearly double the advertised price.

How can you possibly think this is okay? You must have stock in TM.

krae_man

Why is everyone responding with hyperbole and clearly not reading what I wrote?

Your blind Ticketmaster hate is clouding your judgement. I don't like them either, but not for the nonsensicle reasons you guys all describe.

mrpoopy

pzY6f.png

bill0527

Chemo said:
Because you are full of shit.

This.

You don't work for ticketmaster and you never have, yet you are somehow an expert on how they run their business.

If you're claiming that what Ticketmaster does 'is just how its done' in the ticketing business, and you do the same thing, then you should be sued as well.

A judge isn't going to let a class action proceed unless the plaintiffs have presented some compelling evidence that Ticketmaster has done something wrong on a large scale basis. That doesn't automatically mean that Ticketmaster is guilty of anything. It means that the plaintiffs have brought just enough evidence to the court that a judge has decided that this needs a closer look and the lawsuit can proceed.

RSLAEV

I was going to buy tickets to Tim and Eric's Crimbus show-the base price of the tickets were $21.00.

After ticketmaster fees the ticket was $42.00...

So yeah fuck that company up the ass.

Meier

I didn't get anything but god I could get behind this. I buy so many concert tickets each year.. kills me every time.

Chris R

Tried to look up some hockey tickets for tues/weds. Ticketmaster wanted $15.50+5.50 processing. I paid $10 at the window. FUCK TICKETMASTER

krae_man said:
Why is everyone responding with hyperbole and clearly not reading what I wrote?

Your blind Ticketmaster hate is clouding your judgement. I don't like them either, but not for the nonsensicle reasons you guys all describe.
You really think deceptive fees that seem totally unrelated to the price of the ticket is a nonsensicle reason to loathe Ticketmaster? What exactly would it take for you to think they may be a shitty company?

Hari Seldon

Ticketmaster is also a pile of shit for having a 1990s era UI. My local fucking city symphony has a better UI for purchasing tickets online. Of course Ticketmaster has no incentive to improve since they are a virtual monopoly.

krae_man

Hari Seldon said:
Ticketmaster is also a pile of shit for having a 1990s era UI. My local fucking city symphony has a better UI for purchasing tickets online. Of course Ticketmaster has no incentive to improve since they are a virtual monopoly.

Ticketmaster probably owns the company that provides the ticketing software to your local symphony.

The promoters who use ticketmaster don't want them to change it. Ticketmaster can sell out a 20,000 seat venue in under 5 minutes and they like it that way. In reality a sell out is a sell out it doesn't matter how long it takes but promoters like to dick wag like everyone else.

I'm assuming you want something like this:
112batv.jpg

Even if ticketmaster did have that ability, it would be turned off for on sales dates. You can't have 10,000 crazy moms trying to click on front row tickets to Justin Beiber at the same time.

Also what's fine for your local symphony is not fine for others. Those maps are bad for promoters because the customer can see when the house is empty. The worst possible thing for a promoter is anything that could encourage customers to hold off on buying tickets and/or wait for a sale. It's good for customers, but not good for event promoters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom