• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca Cola Selling 12 Pack Bottled "Sugar" Soda (US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramuh

I didn't find another thread on this. I was shopping at my local Safeway here in Maryland and stumbled across a FIFA promoted pack of bottled Coca Cola with cane sugar. I'm unsure if it is across the US or not. As someone who has always liked the taste of "sugar" based Coca Cola I thought I'd give GAF a heads up. I would normally buy the Made in Mexico Coca Cola from the cooking aisle.

It is very similiar to the Throwback Pepsi or occasional Dr Pepper. I'm sure it's probably only during the FIFA tournament.

FYI Coca Cola is normally made with High Fructose Corn Syrup at least here in the US.

Here is a picture.

0GTEDj1.jpg

Fizz me if old.

scurker

Oddly enough, I've been able to buy 24 pack bottles of Mexican Coke at Home Depot (Southeastern US) for the past couple of years. Not sure if this is common across all the stores, but at least the one I usually go to it's always there.

JDSN

Banned
No wonder those taste like horseshit, there is not tag that indicates that its a different flavor here in Colombia and I kept thinking I lost the taste for coke.

ramuh

I thought Mexican Coke had switched to HFCS

It's really funny. They are or have switched to HFCS for Mexican Coca Cola distributed in Mexico. Mexican Coca Cola that is distributed outside of Mexico (like the US) will still be using Cane Sugar.

SolKane

Oddly enough, I've been able to buy 24 pack bottles of Mexican Coke at Home Depot (Southeastern US) for the past couple of years. Not sure if this is common across all the stores, but at least the one I usually go to it's always there.

You in Florida? I was just visiting there last year and noticed this at Home Depot, too.

Madness

Mexican Coke is the superior Coke.

Mexican coke is just original coke before they switched to HFCS etc. In fact, I believe in Mexico, the coke is now made with high fructose corn syrup as well. They still sell their older versions of coke in a lot of places in Asia. You can easily tell the difference if it's made with sugar or if it's using HFCS. It's also the reason I can't stand diet coke at all.

In elementary, I think I was the only one who correctly guessed each flavor of cola during this contest. They had glasses of RC Cola, PC cola, Jolt Cola, Safeway Select, Pepsi, Coca-Cola Classic etc.

ramuh

Mexican coke is just original coke before they switched to HFCS etc. In fact, I believe in Mexico, the coke is now made with high fructose corn syrup as well. They still sell their older versions of coke in a lot of places in Asia. You can easily tell the difference if it's made with sugar or if it's using HFCS. It's also the reason I can't stand diet coke at all.

In elementary, I think I was the only one who correctly guessed each flavor of cola during this contest. They had glasses of RC Cola, PC cola, Jolt Cola, Safeway Select, Pepsi, Coca-Cola Classic etc.

I can't stand any Diet Soda. That sucrose or whatever artificial sweetener it has in it has a nasty aftertaste to me. Even mixing with Spiced Rum.

Also, how did Jolt Cola taste? I never had it. Heard it had a lot of caffeine. :)

ZangBa

When I was living in Costa Rica for a few months, the soda there tasted so much better than in the states. Everyone should try this for themselves. I've quit drinking soda myself.

v1lla21

Costco sells 24 packs of Mexican Coke. I'll check if they have these kinds next time I go. Going to watch the world cup at work. Good thing my boss is a soccer fan and he'll give us hours off for the Mexico games and he'll update us on USA games.

Madness

I can't stand any Diet Soda. That sucrose or whatever artificial sweetener it has in it has a nasty aftertaste to me. Even mixing with Spiced Rum.

Also, how did Jolt Cola taste? I never had it. Heard it had a lot of caffeine. :)

They eventually took it off the market because it had such a high caffeine content, but I loved the hell out of it. I think it used real sugar too. I think it had as much caffeine as like 4 cans of regular coke. Maybe that's why I liked it so much as a kid in elementary school. Tasted more like Coke than Pepsi.

I've had to cut all cola out of my life a few years back. I was pathetically obsessed to the point where I was easily consuming 2-3 liters daily, with each meal. Heck I remember drinking bottles of coke/pepsi as a 4 year old. There isn't a friend or family member or even someone else who knows me as the guy who drank a lot of coke. Even now, just reading this, I still have the urge to go and buy some, but I don't.

Cherubae

They eventually took it off the market because it had such a high caffeine content, but I loved the hell out of it. I think it used real sugar too. I think it had as much caffeine as like 4 cans of regular coke. Maybe that's why I liked it so much as a kid in elementary school. Tasted more like Coke than Pepsi.

It's still sold out here in bottles, although it isn't widely distributed. I saw it in the drink 'fridge at a local pizza place just the other weekend, right next to the Jones Soda and Fanta. It's probably there just for nostalgia reasons, as I've never seen anyone actually buy it. We just notice it and go, "oh Jolt! used to love that as a kid."

Tagyhag

That's cool, I tend to buy the glass bottles separately when I can find them. I think that while it's different than the soda we have here, it's not better or worse.

Alabama.

I think they carry it at Costco too, but I wouldn't have expected to go to Home Depot to find Mexican Coke.

Where at in Alabama? I live in Birmingham and work next door to Home Depot...I may have to step in tomorrow and see if I can find some. Where would I look?

ramuh

That's cool, I tend to buy the glass bottles separately when I can find them. I think that while it's different than the soda we have here, it's not better or worse.

Ya. That's why I made a thread about it. Normally I would buy a single bottle usually in the cooking aisle. Outside of specialty stores I never really seen any Coca Cola (w/sugar) packaged.

Ive tried these and havnt really noticed any difference in taste compared to hfcs coke but on the other hand throwback mountain dew is like sugar heaven.

Madness

You can get mexican coke everywhere now anyway.

It's still sold out here in bottles, although it isn't widely distributed. I saw it in the drink 'fridge at a local pizza place just the other weekend, right next to the Jones Soda and Fanta. It's probably there just for nostalgia reasons, as I've never seen anyone actually buy it. We just notice it and go, "oh Jolt! used to love that as a kid."

I don't think it's the same is it? Seems like they replaced the massive amounts of sugar and now only use HFCS as well. Plus, it seems like they've changed the look and slogan and stuff. But yeah I was pretty disappointed when they stopped selling it in Canada. But it's a good thing, learning more about caffeine, how it affects the brain, things like dependence and withdrawal, I can't believe I use to have that much caffeine as a kid.

Kibbles

It says Made in Mexico right on it, so it's definitely just Mexican Coke and not the US Coke seeing the light.

ramuh

It says Made in Mexico right on it, so it's definitely just Mexican Coke and not the US Coke seeing the light.

Unfortunately the prohibitive cost of Sugar in the US is going to limit widespread adoption. You can blame Foreign Tariffs that block Sugar imports.

Guess Who

Banned

I used to agree, but I made the switch to Coke Zero a few months back and while it was nasty at first, now it tastes perfectly normal, I don't taste the aftertaste, and regular Coke tastes stupidly sweet to me. Probably just a matter of what you're conditioned to.

Boss Mog

My supermarket sells mexican coke in single glass bottles for 99 cents and the ingredients say sugar, not HFCS. i get one from time to time. It still has caramel color in it which can cause cancer so I don't have it often.

ramuh

I used to agree, but I made the switch to Coke Zero a few months back and while it was nasty at first, now it tastes perfectly normal, I don't taste the aftertaste, and regular Coke tastes stupidly sweet to me. Probably just a matter of what you're conditioned to.

Ya. I tried Coke Zero. It's like a lot better that Diet Coke but still had that weird aftertaste. When mixed it is not so bad.

Kieli

Diet soft-drinks for life, yo. Diabetes has me legit shook. Don't even want to exacerbate the chances, because there's no going back.

SegaShack

I'm Pretty sure that "Diet" Coke is worse for you.

Drinking soda a lot is bad, but all the weird chemicals and artificial sweeteners in Diet Soda, or other soda's that have no sugar or are "zero calories" are much worse for you. It's basically all chemicals designed to trick the mind into experiencing a sweet taste like sugar. Most artificial sweeteners actual end up tasting much sweeter than sugar.

There are links to them and cancer as well as making the body store fat reserves.

ramuh

Drinking soda a lot is bad, but all the weird chemicals and artificial sweeteners in Diet Soda, or other soda's that have no sugar or are "zero calories" are much worse for you. It's basically all chemicals designed to trick the mind into experiencing a sweet taste like sugar. Most artificial sweeteners actual end up tasting much sweeter than sugar.

When the "artificial" sweeteners used in Sodas are designed in a lab I don't prefer it. Artificial meaning not produced in organic ways. Also has anyone tried a Sarsaparilla soda?

Guess Who

Banned

There are links to them and cancer as well as making the body store fat reserves.

This is pretty much all debunked myth.

way more

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom