• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepsi Is Launching A 'Craft' Soda called "Caleb's Kola"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Where's my Pepsi Perfect?

pepsi-perfect.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's the latest sign of soda giants trying new strategies to win back customers. Americans have been cutting back on soda for years, with executives blaming the decline on concerns over the high fructose corn syrup in soda, and more recently, the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas.
Good

It probably tastes like the craft cola at Starbucks. A little 12 oz cup of "fizzio" with ice is like $2.75 at starbucks, hopefully this is more reasonably priced.

Opiate

I like how they blame high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners for the decline in soda sales in the US, and not the fact that they sell a product which is really bad for you.

I suppose cane sugar tastes better, but it's not hugely better for me than other forms of sugar. It's still sugar, and that is the reason I've cut back on soda.

Of course, Pepsi and Coke wouldn't admit to this reason, because this reason is unsolvable. If high fructose corn syrup is the problem, that can be fixed; if the problem is that your product is inherently bad for me, well, that isn't a fixable problem.

Large corporations don't like to admit to unfixable problems.

29g of sugar is still too much. Would it taste like shit at 10-20g? I mostly drink Asian soft drinks like low sugar Vitasoy and chrysanthemum tea which have like 10g of sugar and it still tastes plenty sweet to me.

It's insane every time I pick up a can of Coke and get reminded that it has THIRTY-NINE GRAMS OF SUGAR.

dork

Banned
i drink the throwback vanilla pepsi, shits delicious. But i would love a throwback caffeine free if thats possible

JABEE

I used to drink a lot of soda. Quit drinking it 2 months ago. I think more are going to continue to quit. It's terrible for you.

That's why soda companies were scrambling for their own bottled water products.

Askani

Yeah, I'll try it once. Bring it to my area and we'll talk.

Eh, why not? Not sure about the name tho... why Caleb?

"The name is a nod to the pharmacist from North Carolina credited with creating with Pepsi's formula in the 1890s, Caleb Bradham."

Orayn

As a fan of fancy soda like Reed's Premium Ginger Ale, I might give this a shot if I ever saw it in a store.

Why can't they just add less sugar?

Does everything have to be sickly sweet?

Honest Tea does very well with their slightly sweetened line

entremet

Why can't they just add less sugar?

Does everything have to be sickly sweet?

Honest Tea does very well with their slightly sweetened line

GUS--Grown Up Soda does this. You can find in most Whole Foods.

I'm sure they did market research and found sweet sodas sell way more.

Sophia

Glass soda bottles in the US? No you dont.

Up here in Michigan, glass bottles have become somewhat common again. Many stores carry either the "Mexican" Coke, or they have Pepsi/Mountain Dew in the glass bottles. Actual cane sugar in either case. Also seen a lot of root beers lately.

I'll keep an eye out for Caleb's Kola, just because I'm intrigued. Might not find it here, tho.

I guess it has a shot.

Uphill battle against good old Blue Sky New Century Cola though...which has already handily defeated Coke. I really wish I could find some of these other assorted bottled drinks in my area...

Rootbeer

Banned
haven't the soda companies already gone through this phase before of trying to create luxury sodas not so different from this?

Anyway, yeah i'm a tool and I love soda even though i drink far, far less of it these days. So if I see it, of course i'll try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom