• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 15 - ARMY versus NAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
125px-USMA-BlackKnights-Logo.svg.png

125px-United_State_Naval_Academy_Logo-sports.png

Originated: 1890
Played annually since: 1930 (82 years)
Meetings: 112
Most recent: 2011
Series leader: Navy (56–49–7)
Largest margin of victory: Navy 51–0 (1973)
Highest scoring game: Navy 58–12 (2002)
Lowest scoring game: Tie 0–0 (1923)

The Army–Navy Game is an American college football rivalry game between the teams of the United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point, New York and the United States Naval Academy (USNA) at Annapolis, Maryland. The USMA team, "Army", and the USNA team, "Navy", each represent their services' oldest officer commissioning sources. As such, the game has come to embody the spirit of the interservice rivalry of the United States Armed Forces.

The Army-Navy game is one of the most traditional and enduring rivalries in college football. The game is nationally televised by CBS, which has aired the game every year since 1984 except for a five-year stint on ABC from 1991–1995. Instant replay made its debut in the 1963 Army-Navy game. The winner of the game is awarded the Thompson Cup, named after its donor, Robert M. Thompson.

Navy Midshipman (and later Admiral) Joseph Mason Reeves wore what is widely regarded as the first football helmet in the 1893 Army–Navy Game. He had been advised by a Navy doctor that another kick to his head would result in "instant insanity" or even death, so he commissioned an Annapolis shoemaker to make him a helmet out of leather.

On November 27, 1926, the Army–Navy Game traveled to Chicago for the National Dedication of Soldier Field as a monument to American servicemen who had fought in World War I. Navy came to the game undefeated, while West Point had only lost to Notre Dame, so the game would decide the National Championship. Played before a crowd of over 100,000, the teams fought to a 21-21 tie, but Navy was awarded the national championship.

In both the 1944 and 1945 contests, Army and Navy entered the game ranked #1 and #2 respectively. The 1945 game was labeled the "game of the century" before it was played. Army defeated a 7-0-1 Navy team 32-13. Navy's lone tie was against Notre Dame.

181px-Commander_in_Chief%27s_Trophy.jpg

Also of note, Navy beat Air Force earlier int he season by a final of 28-21 in over time. If the Midshipmen can win this weekend they will regain the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy for the first time since 2009. Navy has won the trophy 12 times, which is second to Air Force's 18.

Polls
BCS said:
1 Notre Dame 12-0
2 Alabama 12-1
3 Florida 11-1
4 Oregon 11-1
5 Kansas State 11-1
6 Stanford 11-2
7 Georgia 11-2
8 LSU 10-2
9 Texas A&M 10-2
10 South Carolina 10-2
11 Oklahoma 10-2
12 Florida State 11-2
13 Oregon State 9-3
14 Clemson 10-2
15 Northern Illinois 12-1
16 Nebraska 10-3
17 UCLA 9-4
18 Michigan 8-4
19 Boise State 10-2
20 Northwestern 9-3
21 Louisville 10-2
22 Utah State 10-2
23 Texas 8-4
24 San Jose State 10-2
25 Kent State 11-2

Schedule
Saturday, December 8
3:00 PM Navy vs. Army

Heisman Pundit
Nov. 27, 2012
Total points, (with first-place votes in parentheses)
1. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M -- 27 (8)
2. Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame -- 20 (1)
3. Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State -- 5 (1)
4. Marqise Lee, WR, USC -- 4 (1)
5. Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State -- 3

Pick 'Em!
GAF Pick'em Week 15 Game
Army vs Navy by X

This game doesn't actually count towards the Pick Em.

The Actual BCS Matchups
MNC: Notre Dame vs Alabama
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs Wisconsin
Fiesta Bowl: Kansas State vs Oregon
Sugar Bowl: Florida vs Louisville
Orange Bowl: Florida St vs Northern Illinois

Bowl Pick'Em Group!
Anyone who was in the Pick Em last year SHOULD have just received an email with whatever account you used last year inviting them back.

If you weren't in the group last year and/or you don't remember you email/password you can sign up with a new one using this info (on Yahoo):

Group ID: 9234
Password:
threeballz

Winner gets to name the Off Season thread!

Bonus:

Week 15? We aren't just going to do a Bowl season thread? or a regular bowl, then BCS bowl (plus BBVA compass bowl!) thread.

All good. Just going to make Lonestar post counts more difficult to compile.

edit: Oh, I see. Well, will there be weekly threads from here on out, or just bowl threads?

Wonder what games TTK will put on the pick 'em this week?

All of your points up to this point put on the line for double or nothing. Since Navy will obviously be the clear choice, we'll bet on which team will beat the spread for a more 50/50 proposition

bluemax

Banned
Week 15? We aren't just going to do a Bowl season thread? or a regular bowl, then BCS bowl (plus BBVA compass bowl!) thread.

All good. Just going to make Lonestar post counts more difficult to compile.

edit: Oh, I see. Well, will there be weekly threads from here on out, or just bowl threads?

Just a bowl thread. Once TTK lets us know who won the Pick Em the winner will have until a week from today to give them thread title for Bowl Season. We will then use that thread until after the MNC. Winner of Bowl Pick Em will then give me the Off Season Thread title and we will use that until the season starts.

Just a bowl thread. Once TTK lets us know who won the Pick Em the winner will have until a week from today to give them thread title for Bowl Season. We will then use that thread until after the MNC. Winner of Bowl Pick Em will then give me the Off Season Thread title and we will use that until the season starts.

I'm not looking forward to that long wait again. The worst stretch is from June-September when nothing but baseball is on.

Go Navy, I suppose. There have to be at least a couple of Marine-option middies on the team.

I think I have asked this question before, and CJ and a couple others chimed in and answered ( sadly I forgot their responses ), but why don't the Marines and Coast Guard have their own school/football team again?

key

The last time the Cards played in a big-time bowl against an SEC team, it turned out really well. I'm hoping for the same thing this time around.

cornwham.0_standard_730.0.gif

This hit...wow.

You suppose? What is this shit? You're a Marine... you're part of the Navy. How is this even a thing?

Eat shit, vol fan.

I think I have asked this question before, and CJ and a couple others chimed in and answered ( sadly I forgot their responses ), but why don't the Marines and Coast Guard have their own school/football team again?

mre alluded to it above (edit: or maybe he was just giving me shit in general). The Marines are a department of the Navy (otherwise, they'd just be another army). A source of constant consternation and friction. "Marines are a department of the Navy?" "Oh yeah, the men's department." etc.

cdyhybrid

I have to imagine that even if there were a Marine academy it wouldn't be big enough to field a competitive football team.

There is a Coast Guard Academy, and its one of the hardest schools to get into in the US. They are also too small to field a Division I team in anything, and compete in Division II.

There is a Coast Guard Academy, and its one of the hardest schools to get into in the US. They are also too small to field a Division I team in anything, and compete in Division II.

Damn, their average graduating class is half the size of my highschool graduating class.

Bowling Green has the 9th rated defense in the country. Hmmm....

This should be a good bowl matchup.
They should have beaten Florida because if it, just like you guys should have beaten Stanford. Soooo many near upsets in week 1, and only Louisiana Monroe converted

Balphon

Coast Guard Academy is actually Division III in football.

It's also the only excuse a reasonable person could have for visiting New London.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Might as well skip this yahoo pick em. No reason to jump off the train wreck that TTK put us on.

TTK Bowl Pick Em + TTK Season Pick Em combined. It ain't over yet, I can still come back!

Lonestar

mre 225
Lonestar 205
GoldenEye 007 158
cdyhybrid 141
Cyan 138
andycapps 101
squicken 88
perfectchaos007 85
Yaboosh 81
bucknuticus 72

Bonus #11 Limedust 64

Top 10
mre tops the week, even with screaming kids, according to him. Looking at the post total, perhaps they wanted Daddy to get off the internets.

I'll compile more of the weeks tomorrow (cause I kind of only kept that data at work :lol)

So for no particular reason I browsed the bowl selection CFB Gaf thread from 6 years ago. It was a year before I started posting, but other than that most of you guys are all there. There have only been a handful of new faces to join this community in a 6 year time span which amazes me. Collectively we're a kind and accepting group of posters, it's perplexing as to why we have been growing in size the same rate as Detroit.

edit: Cyan, you should look into un-banning threeball. He made some mistakes by being a Microsoft fanboy/troll, but surely he deserves another chance after a 6 year exile.

The last time the Cards played in a big-time bowl against an SEC team, it turned out really well. I'm hoping for the same thing this time around.

http://cdn0.sbnationcom/uploads/chorus_image/image/4252319/cornwham.0_standard_730.0.gif[/MG]
This hit...wow.[/QUOTE]

You did back your way into the BCS game. Well, I guess you won your last game, so not really backing. But why not show up when you were still undefeated?

cashman

Banned
So for no particular reason I browsed the bowl selection CFB Gaf thread from 6 years ago. It was a year before I started posting, but other than that most of you guys are all there. There have only been a handful of new faces to join this community in a 6 year time span which amazes me. Collectively we're a kind and accepting group of posters, it's perplexing as to why we have been growing in size the same rate as Detroit.

edit: Cyan, you should look into un-banning threeball. He made some mistakes by being a Microsoft fanboy/troll, but surely he deserves another chance after a 6 year exile.

Browsing through that thread and woah, kara made a victory post better than anything that FMT has ever done.

Lonestar

Went in looking for my posts, only saw one post, but then I realized the time frame and year, and realized it's right after my Dad died (11-25-2006) :(

Don't get your hopes up. :p

aww :(

Perhaps it is being borderline hypocritical of myself, but I don't find life in prison to be too harsh of a punishment in real life. However, a lifetime exile from a website does seem too extreme to me. I'de even give TDG another chance in a couple years. However, this is why Evilore won't mod me. The sole reason. Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom