• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Foofaraw

Yeah. I feel like Tom King was sorta similar with the first Batman Rebirth arc. I don't think they got told to extend them so much but I don't think King had double-shipped a book before and he was still writing other stuff at the time because they have such headroom from issues being done to shipping...but oh well.

I'm mildly pissed DC aren't doing Deluxe books of more of the Rebirth titles...it's not as if the first arc in Green Lanterns would benefit from the exposure that Deluxe books give to art, but I just like them as a package...getting 2 volumes in one, slightly bigger size etc..it's nice. Maybe they are doing more in America? It's a pet peeve but it gets annoying to collect trades if I say had Batman Deluxe, then like two paperbacks of Green Lanterns or something. I prefer them to be the same style.

Green Lanterns would benefit from a Deluxe Edition if it got more people to read Volume 2, when it stops being garbage, and starts being Lethal Weapon with Power Rings.

I enjoyed the first arc of King's run, but I think a lot of that was me giving the benefit of the doubt to where he was going, rather than what was actually happening. Though I'm not going to pretend that watching him ape All-Star Superman wasn't one of my favorite things in comics last year.

It sounds really good, but like

we already have the definitive Lashina story, I feel that's just setting yourself up for diminishing returns

Yeah, but like... I adore the Ostrander run, but can you imagine Lashina in this Squad? Remember what happened with Zod.

It'd be utterly insane.

mreddie

The diversity dude

Oh right.

Also, some closing comic shops are blaming Mahvoo for the closings. And these are established stores, it seems they are blaming Marvel for basically what the dudebros are wanting, trying to haunt them over Jane Thor and Sam Cap and Miles Spidey.

Conan-san

I still don't understand why some people are so averse to equality. It should be the status quo at this point.

It should be but with Editoral being asleep at the wheel and letting their writer cars go off all the cliffs in Anvil Falls it isn't something that's happening any time soon.

Tizoc

I just wanna say that Matt, Terry's little brother, is the worst part of Batman Beyond. Dear god is he annoying.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
read The Omega Men on vacation

damn that was amazing

any other 12 issue self -contained brilliant stories i should read? i've read his run on Vision.

going to queue up Ivar, Timewalker if no one has any suggestions

Oh right.

Also, some closing comic shops are blaming Mahvoo for the closings. And these are established stores, it seems they are blaming Marvel for basically what the dudebros are wanting, trying to haunt them over Jane Thor and Sam Cap and Miles Spidey.

That doesn't make sense. This form of media is going through some rough times, but to place the blame on characters like Kamala, Sam Wilson, and Robbie Reyes is ridiculous.

I just want to say that the outfit Scarlet Witch wears during and after her whole Cthon possession is awesome. I love that they're going full ham on the whole eastern-European sorceress look.
I just wanna say that Matt, Terry's little brother, is the worst part of Batman Beyond. Dear god is he annoying.
I don't think he ever gets better.

mreddie

That doesn't make sense. This form of media is going through some rough times, but to place the blame on characters like Kamala, Sam Wilson, and Robbie Reyes is ridiculous.

It's the obvious that trades and digital are kicking their ass but Diamond still has the reach and say what goes out.

They feel they could have survived if the movies translated to comic sales and think Sam Cap, Cho Hulk and Miles Spidey confused them.

It's the obvious that trades and digital are kicking their ass but Diamond still has the reach and say what goes out.

They feel they could have survived if the movies translated to comic sales and think Sam Cap, Cho Hulk and Miles Spidey confused them.

Why go the only comic shop near the edge of town, when you can easily order comics from CMX and Midtown Comics.

Considering how utterly mediocre I found the majority of Lobdell's New 52 output, I never thought I'd see this said about a book he authors.

I swear at this rate I'm gonna end up collecting every Rebirth trade and having to buy a new house just for books.

I remember reading the first few issues of the n52 one and hating pretty much every second of it. With the Rebirth book, I got hooked instantaneously.

I remember reading the first few issues of the n52 one and hating pretty much every second of it. With the Rebirth book, I got hooked instantaneously.

I have added it to my Wishlist...it's been ages since I've bought comics since I've been on a bit of a manga binge for 6 months...but it feels good to be back :p

Foofaraw

I watched a young kid come into my local shop recently and said he wanted to read some Avengers. He liked the movies, and wanted to read a comic. The store led the kid to the singles area and wasn't really able to point out a good comic for him to jump on at. There are currently six titles for Avengers, and that is probably too many. It wasn't a matter of confusion between a few new characters. It was a more systemic problem of too many books, and too much garbage in those books. They really need to pare down their line and focus on releasing quality content again.

I haven't read any Marvel in over a year that wasn't old (been reading Ultimate Spider-Man and original FF). I have Marvel Unlimited, but even with the six month delay, I'm not interested in anything that has been coming out.

Vic_Viper

I havent been reading either of the Green Lantern books but a Leathel Weapon style story in space sounds awesome. Is Green Lantern (starting at Vol 2) considered the better of the 2, or is Hal Jordan's book good too? Is Green Lanterns not getting a deluxe editon for sure?

So what's up with the whole "facist Batman rules world" storyline theme going on at DC? Nightwing: New Order, Pax Batmana, Metal...what's the deal here?

Ross61

So what's up with the whole "facist Batman rules world" storyline theme going on at DC? Nightwing: New Order, Pax Batmana, Metal...what's the deal here?
Batman finally getting exposed. Hate it had to be him.

Sideways teases from Kenneth Rocafort:
DInW1Z_UQAEnbi9.jpg

My guess? They know they only have a in-universe year before they'll all have to deal with the changes after the meeting of Superman and Manhattan.

Turns out, that it was a real date.
And that she doesnt want a second

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Awwww D:

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey, at least I had now finally a date. Its been only 25 years, a age where other people already send their kids to school. Maybe I gonna have a relationship when I am 50!

Sandfox

The upcoming months for the Avengers line is going to be interesting:
-Aaron is potentially taking over the main book
-USAvenger is possibly ending in November
-Zub said there's a reason why Uncanny Avengers doesn't have Legacy numbering and it's tied to "upcoming plans for the series" that he can't talk about.

Turns out, that it was a real date.
And that she doesnt want a second

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Sorry to hear that.

jon bones

i know i need to read Planetary at some point, but is it required before Midnighter/Midnighter & Apollo?

Hey, at least I had now finally a date. Its been only 25 years, a age where other people already send their kids to school. Maybe I gonna have a relationship when I am 50!

id rather start getting laid at 25 than have a 5 year old kid at that age

you've got 10 years until you hit peak 'younger man in the city' - don't worry about shit

GAMEPROFF

Banned
id rather start getting laid at 25 than have a 5 year old kid at that age

you've got 10 years until you hit peak 'younger man in the city' - don't worry about shit
I will never fool someone into caring about me :) Who would take a 25 year old with one date experience. All of this stuff made it super obivious again.
I shoule just call it a day and stop trying.

The upcoming months for the Avengers line is going to be interesting:
-Aaron is potentially taking over the main book
-USAvenger is possibly ending in November
-Zub said there's a reason why Uncanny Avengers doesn't have Legacy numbering and it's tied to "upcoming plans for the series" that he can't talk about.
Is it Zub leaving? Because that would be delightful.

I will never fool someone into caring about me :) Who would take a 25 year old with one date experience. All of this stuff made it super obivious again.

This shit right here is what's going to stand in your way. If that's your attitude, it's going to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Stop moping. I knew a guy in High School who ended up living with his parents until he got married at like 32 or something.

Sandfox

Is it Zub leaving? Because that would be delightful.
He's working on a new project with one of the Avengers editors, but we don't know what's going to happen with Uncanny Avengers. I wouldn't be surprised if it got replaced or something when the main Avengers team changes.

People noticed that Batman's whole "tough on crime" thing leads in some uncomfortable directions IRL. SGM talked about it briefly before he got stupid, but in a world with BLM drawing attention strongly to issues of overincarceration and overcriminalization, Batman... doesn't look so great, in the abstract.

So you're getting a bunch of stories that explore the subject.

I havent been reading either of the Green Lantern books but a Leathel Weapon style story in space sounds awesome. Is Green Lantern (starting at Vol 2) considered the better of the 2, or is Hal Jordan's book good too? Is Green Lanterns not getting a deluxe editon for sure?

Both are good, imo.

Almost for sure that GL is not getting a Deluxe. I asked Humphries on Twitter and he said he'd heard nada.

jon bones

would peter parker try once, fail and call it a day?

25 is super young. chose to learn from the experience, grow and try and fail again. learn more about yourself and others in the process. if we were having this conversation at 35, i'd be singing a different tune but you're too young to quit now.

I am aware of it.

Work on your happiness and confidence.

It's not that you need to turn into a swaggering mega dick but it will help. And you'll feel better about yourself. It can be tough but if you are someone that people want to talk to and hang out with...the rest will follow.

Sorta >_>

Also 25yo buddy high five

Foofaraw

Can't speak to Hal's book, but Green Lanterns is good. You can safely start with Volume 2, and if you have any questions about that arc (like 2 things happen) you can hit me up or wiki it. Lethal Weapon in space is overselling it for two reasons. One, it's not in space. Two, its not a super traditional buddy cop dynamic, though I guess Jessica could be the neurotic side of Riggs and Baz could be the impulsive side. Maybe John or Hal will come down at some point and play the "I'm getting too old for this shit," card.

People noticed that Batman's whole "tough on crime" thing leads in some uncomfortable directions IRL. SGM talked about it briefly before he got stupid, but in a world with BLM drawing attention strongly to issues of overincarceration and overcriminalization, Batman... doesn't look so great, in the abstract.

The Green Lanterns arc with Bats kind of acknowledges this.
Baz asks why he doesn't send Scarecrow to prison, and Batman responds that Crane is sick and needs help, not incarceration.
So, the intent is there at least, if not the action.

Aizo

Banned
KATE AND RENEE :'(
Giving the right wing what they want.
He puts the wing in right wing!
Hey, same age! I think many people would not care whether or not you have experience. Meeting someone right is the key. I haven't met anyone that's really interested in me since my girlfriend of two years split with me, so I know it can be very difficult to meet new people after college (it's even worse in a foreign country). I've had a couple dates that went nowhere. That last girl I asked out texted me for a few days and flirted before ultimately telling me she has a boyfriend. I feel unlucky, but that won't stop me. You got a date! That's a start—not an end. :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its just that it again breaks the confiedence that I built up over the last few months again. Its always like this, a small victory and and soon after there is another bad news that tears it apart for the moment.
Also I am very sad that I most likely now lost someone who I really enjoyed messaging with.
And my hobbys and how I enjoy living doesnt really makes me meet new people often, and that I still super stressed out from my almost burnout from last years adds to that.

But I am really thankfull for all the nice posts so far. They help me right now. Maybe I can go to sleep now without thinking all the time about that shit 🙈

Aizo

Banned
I know that your future victories will be bigger and bigger. Really. I'm giving you the same advice I'd give myself. I don't want to give up just because my last few situations haven't worked out. I don't even know of someone I'm interested right now, but I keep going to new places and meeting new people. It all works out. I think your latest date was an important step in the right direction.

Top Bottom