• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console nostalgia, PS2 outsells next gen consoles

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I bet Neogaf wasn’t expecting this level of nostalgia anyway,

And the winner of the console wars is ...​

Much ink has been spilled over the so-called “console wars” between the new Nintendo Wii, the PlayStation 3 and the year-old Xbox 360. So now that the Christmas season is over and the numbers have been tallied, who won the home-console slugfest?

070129_PS2_hmed.jpg

Believe it or not, the six year-old PlayStation 2.

Article here

Who bought a ps2 during that crazy holiday launch? That console was selling for just $129 we know ps3 and PS4 never reached that low of a price (game cube went to $99 in 2004).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd post the "what year is it" gif, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why tf we're discussing an article from 2007 about a console launched in 2000 in this, the year of our Lord, 2024.

What?

Edit: PS2 kicked the shit out of every Gen 7 console so it's completely deserved.

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
I'd post the "what year is it" gif, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why tf we're discussing an article from 2007 about a console launched in 2000 in this, the year of our Lord, 2024.
Nostalgia thread 🤷‍♂️

But I like this thread, because it’s a self aware nostalgia thread about the PS2’s greatness, rather than a whining OP who isn’t aware they made a nostalgia thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Okay, to say more... the PS2's output in 2006 was absolutely bonkers. You had Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Okami, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Guitar Hero II, Suikoden V, Xenosaga III, Yakuza, and a ton more. It was firing on all fucking cylinders. And given that the gaming audience was more core back then than it is now, those games mattered.

What were you going to play on the PS3? Folklore? That was the game everyone rallied around to pretend like they didn't have immediate regret over wasting $600.

The Xbox 360 at least let you show people your dick on Uno, so I guess it did have that.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Here, I fixed your first sentence… “I bet Neogaf wasn’t expecting this level of reaching with an article from 2007 with legitimately no substance, as the point of my thread.”

You’re welcome!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

What?

Edit: PS2 kicked the shit out of every Gen 7 console so it's completely deserved.
My mistake my question was could you imagine the ps4 outselling the PS5 in any of the years it was released.

EverydayBeast

It's because of the legenday games and series which came out on it. Abolutely unmatchable.
Yeah that was one of the key factors the article listed than you have the “I don’t care crowd, it’s next gen” that bought the PS3 and no games.

El Muerto

The PS2 was essential when i was a teen. Bought one a couple years after launch and every game just blew my mind. We will never witness that magic again.
However, I'm sure if PS4s weren't discontinued early they would outsell the PS5 2:1 and go on to become the best selling system beating the PS2. The PS4 was discontinued in 2021, with the PS5 released in 2020. The PS2 was discontinued in 2013 and the ps3 was released in 2006. PS4 had an 8 year run, PS2 had a 13 year run. Total sales of the PS2 were 158 million and the ps4 total sales were 117 million.

leo-j

makes you wonder if an easily available $199 ps4 would do numbers considering it's getting the majority of the game games from this gen so far.

nial

Gold Member
Okay, to say more... the PS2's output in 2006 was absolutely bonkers. You had Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Okami, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Guitar Hero II, Suikoden V, Xenosaga III, Yakuza, and a ton more.
Those are 2005 games, sir.
those who can't runs GIF by truTV

and one is just an expanded re-release
It was firing on all fucking cylinders. And given that the gaming audience was more core back then than it is now, those games mattered.
In 2006? I disagree, especially regarding stuff like FFXII or VP2. That year being one of Sony first-party's weakest does not really help.
Also, with your other point, no? Not only it was not more core, but some of these series (Yakuza) or publishers (Capcom) are much more successful these days, with a similar output all around.

Doom85

Can we mark this thread for posterity as the PS2 Praetorian Guard's last stand? It's...quaint.

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

For the record, I don’t give a shit who “wins”, I just find it amusing how desperate certain Switch fans are for it to surpass it, like being the #2 highest selling console of all time is something to be ashamed about or something.

Or maybe a few of them just hate the PS2, in which case sales numbers sadly won’t remove the L they’ve branded on their forehead.

phant0m

Will always be the king. Worst hardware of 6th gen with the best library.

Really something to be said about the days when you popped a disc in the console, turned it on and played. No install. No updates or patches.

Deerock71

For the record, I don’t give a shit who “wins”, I just find it amusing how desperate certain Switch fans are for it to surpass it, like being the #2 highest selling console of all time is something to be ashamed about or something.

Or maybe a few of them just hate the PS2, in which case sales numbers sadly won’t remove the L they’ve branded on their forehead.
Conversely, some perversely love the little hunk of metal and plastic known as the PS2, and will happily become a footnote in time.
kate winslet GIF

IAmRei

But we dont desperate. its near, and its quite good in this era, where mobile crush almost all other platform sales.

Doom85

But we dont desperate. its near, and its quite good in this era, where mobile crush almost all other platform sales.

Then just let it happen instead of just trying to convince everyone. That’s why it comes off as desperate, the fact this has been discussed repeatedly with such overwhelming confidence. If Switch 2 is fully backwards compatible, and is announced and releases at a very reasonable price, that could easily massively drop future Switch sales. I’m not saying it isn’t likely to surpass it, but it’s very short-sighted to act like it’s a sure thing.

Hell, I’m sure two years into the PS3/360 gen, lots of people were very confident the 360 would significantly outsell the PS3 by the end of the gen given how solid the former was doing while the latter had an infamous start, but oh boy did things play out differently.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Doesn’t the Switch only need like 10 million more or something? At this point I’d honestly be surprised if they didn’t beat out the PS2.

Doom85

Doesn’t the Switch only need like 10 million more or something? At this point I’d honestly be surprised if they didn’t beat out the PS2.

It most likely will….

….except we have to factor in the PSP sales from release prior to the PS3 launch since Switch is both Nintendo’s handheld and console therefore making it illegible in the highest selling console category so the only way for it to qualify is to factor in the competitor’s handheld sales within the time period of the relevant console gen, so taking that into account the PSP sold roughly 15.5 million before the PS3 was released, thus taking that into account the Switch has roughly 29 million more systems to sell before it can surpass PS2.

Switch diehards: “H-h-hey, that doesn’t count-“

Me:

50 cent laughing GIF

Last edited:

Unknown?

The PS2 was essential when i was a teen. Bought one a couple years after launch and every game just blew my mind. We will never witness that magic again.
However, I'm sure if PS4s weren't discontinued early they would outsell the PS5 2:1 and go on to become the best selling system beating the PS2. The PS4 was discontinued in 2021, with the PS5 released in 2020. The PS2 was discontinued in 2013 and the ps3 was released in 2006. PS4 had an 8 year run, PS2 had a 13 year run. Total sales of the PS2 were 158 million and the ps4 total sales were 117 million.
That would require PS4 to actually drop in price though. $299 msrp outside of some sells stayed till it was discontinued.

Dude we are about to witness magic again, the Switch is on track to break the PS2's sales record. Good chance it might even happen this year.

Sojiro

Is it really a matter of desperation, or just acknowledging that it's been since the DS that any console has even approached that number. You can completely flip that statement and say it's damn impressive the PS2 has held that title for that long, and there is definitely no shame is finally getting surpassed after its damn impressive run of being at #1 with only the DS even approaching it. Usually when a thread pops up about this, it's usually pulling from a news article or fiscal year update. The real desperation is all the mental gymnastics that occur in those threads on why it doesn't count for the switch lol.

Doom85

Is it really a matter of desperation, or just acknowledging that it's been since the DS that any console has even approached that number. You can completely flip that statement and say it's damn impressive the PS2 has held that title for that long, and there is definitely no shame is finally getting surpassed after its damn impressive run of being at #1 with only the DS even approaching it. Usually when a thread pops up about this, it's usually pulling from a news article or fiscal year update. The real desperation is all the mental gymnastics that occur in those threads on why it doesn't count for the switch lol.

Bruh, I’m referring to specific types of Switch fans. I didn’t say all of them were like this, hell most ain’t. But in the past, you could find these guys who acted like it was something worth being smug about, and mocked anyone who even suggested a possibility it might play out differently. Those are the people I’m referring to.

I mean, I do think if Switch was only a home console and they had a new separate handheld, Switch sales would not be as high as they were even with their mostly solid software lineup. I’m not saying that should mean it doesn’t count (my earlier post about the PSP was meant as a joke), but it should be noted. If Nintendo and Sony were to have continued to battle with each having separate consoles and handhelds, it’s a fairly safe bet Nintendo would win the handheld market and Sony would win the console market.

Is the Switch definitely classed as a home console though, as opposed to a handheld?

Do the LTD sales of Switch include the Lite which is handheld only? I think they do, and it wouldn't seem fair to compare Switch vs PS2 IMO. I personally see the Switch as more of a handheld than home console, but that is of course debateable.

Bruh, I’m referring to specific types of Switch fans. I didn’t say all of them were like this, hell most ain’t. But in the past, you could find these guys who acted like it was something worth being smug about, and mocked anyone who even suggested a possibility it might play out differently. Those are the people I’m referring to.

I mean, I do think if Switch was only a home console and they had a new separate handheld, Switch sales would not be as high as they were even with their mostly solid software lineup. I’m not saying that should mean it doesn’t count (my earlier post about the PSP was meant as a joke), but it should be noted. If Nintendo and Sony were to have continued to battle with each having separate consoles and handhelds, it’s a fairly safe bet Nintendo would win the handheld market and Sony would win the console market.

If that's the case, you'd have to discount the millions of PS2s bought as cheap DVD players.

Those highly obsessed with Switch realizing every day comes closer to a Switch 2 announcement and thus potentially dashing their dreams of surpassing PS2 sales:

Nervous Key And Peele GIF
There's not a possibility that Switch won't surpass the PS2 sales at this point. Switch won't vanish the day Switch 2 releases and even if it did, it would still have a shot.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Got one last year (really wanted to play Digital Devil Saga) and man am I happy with it, pretty cool console with one of the best catalogue of games available.

Doom85

If that's the case, you'd have to discount the millions of PS2s bought as cheap DVD players.

Austin Powers No GIF

That doesn’t even work, we’re talking about Playstation 2 gen console + handheld sales versus Switch gen console/handheld hybrid sales to match even. DVD player is an irrelevant factor for this equation, otherwise one could easily counter, “well, maybe some people bought Switch to have portable Youtube watching on a screen larger than their phone!” You see? You’re suggesting bringing chaos into the equation, please don’t bring chaos into the equation. Think of the children.

There's not a possibility that Switch won't surpass the PS2 sales at this point. Switch won't vanish the day Switch 2 releases and even if it did, it would still have a shot.

Wait, not a possibility it won’t surpass it, but also merely has a shot at surpassing it?

Confused Youtube GIF by Fetish Series

Who bought a ps2 during that crazy holiday launch? That console was selling for just $129 we know ps3 and PS4 never reached that low of a price (game cube went to $99 in 2004).
GameCube went to $99 in September 2003.

PS2 went to $99 in March 2009.

Last edited:
Are you the same person who always argues that Switch Lite sales don't count as a Switch, or is that someone else on here? Literally every time. It's like whack-a-mole.

Do you have any data that supports that people purchased a PS2 solely as a DVD player and never, ever purchased/ borrowed/ rented any software to play on it? Even if that is true for a small group of users, it doesn't invalidate the sales of the device. A device sold is a device sold. 1+1=2.

If someone purchased a Wii and only ever used it to check the Weather Channel, does that also mean the sales don't count? Even if that were the case, how would anyone ever know?

Last edited:
Are you the same person who always argues that Switch Lite sales don't count as a Switch, or is that someone else on here? Literally every time. It's like whack-a-mole.

Do you have any data that supports that people purchased a PS2 solely as a DVD player and never, ever purchased/ borrowed/ rented any software to play on it? Even if that is true for a small group of users, it doesn't invalidate the sales of the device. A device sold is a device sold. 1+1=2.

If someone purchased a Wii and only ever used it to check the Weather Channel, does that also mean the sales don't count? Even if that were the case, how would anyone ever know?

Wasn't me dude.

*Nightwing

Cell processor can still be nefrariosly used as a weapon guidance system

Industrial military complex made the PS2 the console GOAT

Last edited:
Cell processor can still be nefrariosly used as a weapon guidance system

Industrial military complex made the PS2 the console GOAT

Cell was PS3. PS2 was the Emotion Engine.

Top Bottom