• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console nostalgia, PS2 outsells next gen consoles

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Now that the Christmas season is over", in June? I have no idea what's going on here.

Edit: Ok, it's some old article from the beginning of the PS3 generation. OP is very confusing!

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

PS2 is still delivering in June 2024.
A new Monster Hunter G translation just dropped on top of the the semi recent Boku no Natsuyasumi 2.
Plus all the 'new' PS2 Armored Core dual analog patches.

I would rather play Ace Combat 4, 5, Zero - over pretty much any new games.
Then on to the real deal Silent Hill 2.

Who needs new consoles?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No question Sony consoles are powerful

The Air Force Built One of the World's Fastest Computers Out of PlayStations

“Only instead of PlayStation 2, the Air Force used 1,760 Sony PlayStation 3 consoles. They called it the "Condor Cluster," and it was the Department of Defense's fastest computer.”

Using video game consoles for weapons is hilarious are there any other examples of kinda toys being used for weapons?

semiconscious

Gold Member
No question Sony consoles are powerful

The Air Force Built One of the World's Fastest Computers Out of PlayStations

“Only instead of PlayStation 2, the Air Force used 1,760 Sony PlayStation 3 consoles. They called it the "Condor Cluster," and it was the Department of Defense's fastest computer.”

Using video game consoles for weapons is hilarious are there any other examples of kinda toys being used for weapons?
HkGtRKjsCuXFHKmekzMUZF-1200-80.jpg

Austin Powers No GIF

That doesn’t even work, we’re talking about Playstation 2 gen console + handheld sales versus Switch gen console/handheld hybrid sales to match even. DVD player is an irrelevant factor for this equation, otherwise one could easily counter, “well, maybe some people bought Switch to have portable Youtube watching on a screen larger than their phone!” You see? You’re suggesting bringing chaos into the equation, please don’t bring chaos into the equation. Think of the children.

Bad analogy. I'd get a tablet if I wanted a bigger screen.

DVD players were all the rage in the pre-streaming days.

Not to mention the PS2 had notable price drops. Not a single one for Switch, unless you count the less expensive (but also less successful) Lite.

NanaMiku

The best times. Development costs are still cheap, so many devs are experimenting.

I'm still amazed that DualShock 2 has pressure sensitive face buttons.

Doom85

Bad analogy. I'd get a tablet if I wanted a bigger screen.

DVD players were all the rage in the pre-streaming days.

Not to mention the PS2 had notable price drops. Not a single one for Switch, unless you count the less expensive (but also less successful) Lite.

Again, you’re throwing in factors that have nothing to do with the console and handheld element.

By your argument of just throwing in whatever factor because “fuck it” apparently, I could point out the human population is much bigger than it was during the PS2 gen and yet despite having far more potential customers due to more people existing, Switch still took this long to get even close behind PS2, so boom, PS2 just won easily.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Again, you’re throwing in factors that have nothing to do with the console and handheld element.

By your argument of just throwing in whatever factor because “fuck it” apparently, I could point out the human population is much bigger than it was during the PS2 gen and yet despite having far more potential customers due to more people existing, Switch still took this long to get even close behind PS2, so boom, PS2 just won easily.

Dude, the PS2 only got to 155 million after its Oceania boom when the other areas moved on to the PS3.

The Switch is tracking ahead of the PS2 by ~4 years.

Doom85

Dude, the PS2 only got to 155 million after its Oceania boom when the other areas moved on to the PS3.

The Switch is tracking ahead of the PS2 by ~4 years.

Bruh, Australia bought 2 million PS2s, even if we take them out of the equation PS2 is still quite ahead.

Anyway, getting back to more relevant numbers:

World population in 2010: 6.9 billion
World population in 2024: 8 billion

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

unlurkified

Okay, to say more... the PS2's output in 2006 was absolutely bonkers. You had Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Okami, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Guitar Hero II, Suikoden V, Xenosaga III, Yakuza, and a ton more. It was firing on all fucking cylinders. And given that the gaming audience was more core back then than it is now, those games mattered.

What were you going to play on the PS3? Folklore? That was the game everyone rallied around to pretend like they didn't have immediate regret over wasting $600.

The Xbox 360 at least let you show people your dick on Uno, so I guess it did have that.
Yeah but 2006 is when the 360 started to take off. Oblivion, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Gears. These games were technically so far ahead that I couldn’t play more than a few hours of FF12 without it feeling extremely dated. Might’ve been just me though.

SkylineRKR

Yeah its funny because the narrative was heavily on 360 is outselling PS3, but in fact the PS2 outsold the 360 throughout 2006, 2007 and I think even 2008.

And twilight era PS2 was pretty good. I remember picking one up again for a few bucks, and then I took Valkyrie Profile 2, FFXII, DoC, Odin Sphere and Persona 3 with me. P3 had a retail price of 39 ish, the others were about 10-20 bucks a piece.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
….except we have to factor in the PSP sales from release prior to the PS3 launch since Switch is both Nintendo’s handheld and console therefore making it illegible in the highest selling console category so the only way for it to qualify is to factor in the competitor’s handheld sales within the time period of the relevant console gen, so taking that into account the PSP sold roughly 15.5 million before the PS3 was released, thus taking that into account the Switch has roughly 29 million more systems to sell before it can surpass PS2
You also have to factor that Switch never received price cuts. Meanwhile
Who bought a ps2 during that crazy holiday launch? That console was selling for just $129
PS2 went to $99 in March 2009.

Also this if you really wanna use the "it's a handheld" card.
If that's the case, you'd have to discount the millions of PS2s bought as cheap DVD players.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Cena Ooo GIF

Audiophile

I'd love to see the PS6 take on the utilitarian monolith design of the PS2 with a modern twist.

PS(1) was angular > PSOne was rounded > PS2 was angular > PS3 was rounded > PS4 was angular > PS5 is rounded; would fit the pattern...

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Celine

I could point out the human population is much bigger than it was during the PS2 gen and yet despite having far more potential customers due to more people existing, Switch still took this long to get even close behind PS2, so boom, PS2 just won easily.
Launch aligned NSW is currently far ahead (over 25M) of the PS2.

vgRlYZZ.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom