• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowen downgrades EA's stock as it thinks Titanfall 2's sales will be disappointing

b0bbyJ03

Came to add that the release schedule on this was terrible. I would have bought it at any other time but I already picked up BF1 and that game is deep.

Calabi

Based on how good the reviews have been I think it will be OK but fuck EA. This release schedule was beyond stupid.

I just got TF2 and I want BF1 but might wait a while to see how much I get hooked with TF2

I know I'm the opposite I've got BF1 but I want TF2 but I cant really play two multiplayer games. By the time I do get TF2 it will be dead in Multiplayer.

entremet

Still can't believe EA did this.

Space out your releases if the genres are very similar. FPSes are still FPSes.

Kill3r7

Not when its surrounded by other good games generating more hype.

BF1 is eating its lunch and this time of year is far too saturated for shooters. Titanfall would have done better with an early 2017 release.

Based on what? How many million+ games do we get in the spring? Not many is the answer. With respect to FPS games specifically EA released BFBC2 and Hardline. One was a great success the other was dead a few months after release. R1 showed similar legs to Hardline.

Schlorgan

Also I still can't believe they don't release this game on Steam. Like if mainstream COD games are barely able to keep a community of 15-20k people on steam..then how on earth do they expect a similar type of game like this keep any healthy community on Origin of all places?

Responded in the last page with BF4's current stats of 20,000, but I looked at the Steam Top 100 and only Black Ops 3 and Black Ops 2 are on the list with 9,550 and 3,290 respectively.

That 3 year old game on Origin has a healthier community than all of the CoD games on Steam combined.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wouldn't be surprised but I'm hoping that good word of mouth, good reviews, and good DLC support will keep it afloat in the long run.

I think the addition of the PS4 install base will give it a decent boost, but I don't think it'll do BF numbers. I don't think anyone was expecting that. I think word of mouth, curiosity and it's evident quality will make push it beyond the funeral Cowen is predicting. Word of mouth and the growing sentiment toward IW's mp may yet work in the game's favor. People act like titanfall is a nobody, didn't the first game sell 7 million copies?

Schlorgan

I think the addition of the PS4 install base will give it a decent boost, but I don't think it'll do BF numbers. I don't think anyone was expecting that. I think word of mouth, curiosity and it's evident quality will make push it beyond the funeral Cowen is predicting. Word of mouth and the growing sentiment toward IW's mp may yet work in the game's favor. People act like titanfall is a nobody, didn't the first game sell 7 million copies?

10 million as of the end of last year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/05/titanfall-sales-pass-10-million-globally

Chris1

^ that's unique players, it's 7M sales
Yeah it sold 7 million.

Honestly I think the tech test hurt it far more than the release date did, but that's just me. BF and Titanfall are different types of shooters.

Unique players.

The game will be lucky to do Gears numbers. And I'm talking the new Gears, not the old Gears. Whilst being on PS4 will open up its potential market I'm not sure why PS4 gamers would on the whole care when there so much competition and is an unknown to them.

No shit. Still can't believe EA thought this was a good idea.

That, or they're far more Machiavellian than I thought...

There's only room for so many multiplayer fps. Battlefield, CoD, Counter Strike, and now Overwatch are the big fish. Titanfall 2, no matter how good or bad is going to struggle for an audience.

You forgot Destiny. That thing still does crazy numbers it seems.

Maybe I missed it, but there was little hype for Titanfall 2 the whole time. They should have delayed and release in March or something.

I just don't understand this decision to release it there. You maybe make this choice if you got a massive multiplatform fanbase. From my anecdotal evidence, there doesn't seem to be much momentum for the Ps4 release of the game. Hopefully word of mouth carries this game like it did Siege.

sonto340

I sold a ton.l of copies of skyrim remastered last night, but not one copy of titanfall 2 to add my anecdotal evidence to the conversation. The interest doesn't seem there which is a fucking shame.

Chris1

Unique players.

The game will be lucky to do Gears numbers. And I'm talking the new Gears, not the old Gears. Whilst being on PS4 will open up its potential market I'm not sure why PS4 gamers would on the whole care when there so much competition and is an unknown to them.

Nah it sold 7 million.

It had over 10M unique players.

yuraya

Responded in the last page with BF4's current stats of 20,000, but I looked at the Steam Top 100 and only Black Ops 3 and Black Ops 2 are on the list with 9,550 and 3,290 respectively.

That 3 year old game on Origin has a healthier community than all of the CoD games on Steam combined.

You do understand that Battlefield is not Titanfall right? Battlefield community on PC has been around since 2002 and even still the community is weaksauce today compared to something like CS. First Titanfall game on Origin doesn't even have a community. The game is just COD with giant robots and larger maps. Releasing it on Steam and even having 5-10k community for the long term would help it a lot. It would keep the game alive. That 9k for Black ops 3 and 3k for Black Ops 2 are still very healthy numbers. They ensure you will almost always find a game. There is probably like 10 people playing the first Titanfall on Origin right now. And that is with the game being part of the access vault.

Nah it sold 7 million.

It had over 10M unique players.

Had a look and apparently that is true. Wasn't aware EA ever revealed sales numbers for the game.

Unless TF2 is bundled to hell and back and given away in firesales then it's getting nowhere near that number.

I hope that Respawn chose the release date, not EA. If this fails, I hope it was on them and not a foolish publisher.

It is such a mind blowing thing that they seriously decided to release this the week after BF1 and before CoD. Just, I want someone from the company to fucking explain the thought process. If it turns out to have hurt it, like a ton of us have been saying since it got announced, why and how did they not see it coming?

Schlorgan

I will be getting TF2 in a week. Never had interest in BF and this year's CoD is not my cup of teа. Have my money Respawn!

I think you are the main target audience for this game; shooter fans that aren't really into Battlefield but aren't really into Infinite Warfare either.

Ambient80

I seriously doubt that EA picked the date. The coinciding with an Infinity Ward Call of Duty game makes me think that Respawn picked it.
That's arguably worse. Putting it up against CoD, even if most think it will be a down year is silly anyway, but also the year they're remaking one of the most popular and influential shooters in the past 10+ years?

Edit: Nevermind right after BF1 releases.

^ that's unique players, it's 7M sales
Yeah it sold 7 million.

Honestly I think the tech test hurt it far more than the release date did, but that's just me. BF and Titanfall are different types of shooters.

7 mill but how many were $5 fire sale copies? I know mine was.

Gator86

I hope that Respawn chose the release date, not EA. If this fails, I hope it was on them and not a foolish publisher.

It is such a mind blowing thing that they seriously decided to release this the week after BF1 and before CoD. Just, I want someone from the company to fucking explain the thought process. If it turns out to have hurt it, like a ton of us have been saying since it got announced, why and how did they not see it coming?

Respawn choosing this date would be a ridiculously hilarious display of hubris. I'm really curious how this date came about now.

7 mill but how many were $5 fire sale copies? I know mine was.

I wound up with 2 copies of the first game (360 & Xbone). I don't think I paid more than ten for the pair and one was used.

ar4757

Why couldn't they have released it later! I want to buy Titanfall 2 sooner than later but I just bought Battlefield 1

Schlorgan

I think this game will sell fine. I can't say if it'll sell better or worse than it would if it came out next year (none of us can) and it definitely won't sell as much as Infinite Warfare (outside of a miracle), but I don't think it'll be a huge bomb the way some people seem to think it will be.

Norse

TF2 is sick...game is so refreshing. Do yourself a favor and buy it. Target has buy 2 get 1 free starting Sunday

Should've come out in September or August, but that would've affected the games polish. Now I love getting games earlier especially if quality isn't compromised but it boggles my mind why EA didn't launch this in January. It worked with Battlefield.

Sent the franchise to its death after a decent start on the Xbox 2 years ago.

Best wishes.

KingBroly

Banned
Should've come out in September or August, but that would've affected the games polish. Now I love getting games earlier especially if quality isn't compromised but it boggles my mind why EA didn't launch this in January. It worked with Battlefield.

Sent the franchise to its death after a decent start on the Xbox 2 years ago.

Best wishes.

Hardline didn't do great.

But I think an early February launch right after the Super Bowl would've done great business for it.

BUT this is just speculation at this point.

Vibranium

Banned
I wonder if Respawn will be able to drop it on Steam at some point. They wanted to do it with the first game but my guess is they've been nudged by EA as a partner not to.

Its been said in a few threads that video game sales in the holiday period absolutely dwarf the rest of the year, so I guess the thinking is its better to grab a smaller piece of a big piece of pie. I personally don't agree with it either and you see games like Overwatch, Witcher 3, etc do well outside the holiday period but I could see how Titanfall 2 is viewed as a better shot in the "gift buying time". The chart below includes hardware but I'm sure someone could dig up one that is software only and it'll be similar.

vMkE3UQ.png

Last I checked:

~11,000 PC
~26,000 PS4
~36,000 Xbox

These are users online.

I think Battlefield launch was:

~120,000 PC
~120,000 Xbox
~220,000 PS4

Kieli

Someone was probably paid 6 figures and thought the following, "So, two mega-franchises targeting a common audience is releasing in the same week. Welp, time to put ours right smack-dab in there."

No Love

Banned
Got BF1 and TitanFall 2 but who the fuck thought releasing TF2 after the mega blockbuster BF1 was a great idea? Who at EA didn't catch this massive oversight? Total sales cannibalization.

For what it's worth, copies were flying out of my local supermarket yesterday. And the game is fantastic and the single player is a real surprise. I think the game will have legs and sell well over the next few weeks.

Top Bottom