• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Review Thread

Renna Hazel

I mean, y'all want to have someone's opinion about a game be influenced by how instead they could have bought $40 of My Little Pony merchandise or pay for their health insurance, you do you.

I personally think incorporating price into a review in any way, positive or negative, to be a colossal waste of everyone's time.

While I agree that it shouldn't play a factor in reviews, it does. Price is mentioned in many indie reviews, also when the Switch launched most reviews slammed Bomberman and 1-2-Switch for being full priced games. That's just in recent memory. Price always seems to be factored in when it's a negative thing in the mind of the reviewer.

Also, anytime I see a review say something should have been a downloadable game, I assume they're just saying the price is too high and should be priced at the indie level.

Marcel

What about something like Evolve, where it was $60 for only a portion of the game's content at launch?

This is a good point. With service games becoming even more supported by publishers, content-to-value judgments at launch will be more important than ever. Not everyone has to agree about it but how much I'm getting for my dollar is crucial to me.

hawk2025

While I agree that it shouldn't play a factor in reviews, it does. Price is mentioned in many indie reviews, also when the Switch launched most reviews slammed Bomberman and 1-2-Switch for being full priced games. That's just in recent memory. Price always seems to be factored in when it's a negative thing in the mind of the reviewer.

Also, anytime I see a review say something should have been a downloadable game, I assume they're just saying the price is too high and should be priced at the indie level.

Oh, it definitely does, I'm not denying that.

But nevertheless, it doesn't bother me that much. My favorite reviewer right now is ACG, and clearly he incorporates some measure of price into the review with the scale used.

Great reviews, but it's not like I wasn't going to buy it regardless. I want me some Crash (plus I want to encourage more Crash games.)

I will for sure buy the game one day, i just have a huge backlog. Got Ratchet and Clank with the sale, so i'm gonna play that this weekend. But Crash is next !

This is a good point. With service games becoming even more supported by publishers, content-to-value judgments at launch will be more important than ever. Not everyone has to agree about it but how much I'm getting for my dollar is crucial to me.

The pricing model of many games directly affects how the games themselves are developed, so pricing kind of has to be brought up in those instances.

There are so many games where this isn't the case though and a reviewer's personal value judgement based solely on the game's cost is not helpful to me in the slightest. If you've just played the best five hour game ever created, but you ding it two points because it's $50, you've done absolutely nothing to help me understand the actual quality of the experience.

If you want to talk about a game's price, discuss it in a sidebar. Don't allow it to directly affect the score you give the title. Are we ok with games being viewed as disposable products do we want them to be treated as art?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The pricing model of many games directly affects how the game is developed, so pricing kind of has to be brought up in that instance.

There are so many games where this isn't the case though and a reviewer's personal value opinion based solely on the game's cost is not helpful to me in the slightest. If you've just played the best five hour game ever created, but you ding it two points because it's $50, you've done absolutely nothing to help me understand the actual quality of the product.

Thats what the rest of the (hopefully a well-written) review is for. Having a little blurb or paragraph to comment on the price to value ratio is much appreciated.

Ori is a 12 hour game. Resident Evil 7 is also a 12 hour game.

How do I know which one gives me more bang for the buck? The price. Ones a $20 game, the other is $60. Price is very important to most people, especially ones who have to pay for it themselves.

Games come in all sorts of sizes and prices. This isnt like movies where each ticket costs the same at the theatre.

Would the Crash Trilogy have been good value at $60? Debateable. At $40 its definitely a good value.

At the end of the day these are consumer products being reviewed and price is one of the most important aspects consumers look to.

sikkinixx

For the $30cdn I paid, the reviews seem more than positive enough for me. It'll bring back fun memories when my buddy and I play through them.

Thats what the rest of the (hopefully a well-written) review is for. Having a little blurb or paragraph to comment on the price to value ratio is much appreciated.

How do I know which one gives me more bang for the buck? The price. Ones a $20 game, the other is $60. Price is very important to most people, especially ones who have to pay for it themselves.

Games come in all sorts of sizes and prices. This isnt like movies where each ticket costs the same at the theatre.

Would the Crash Trilogy have been good value at $60? Debateable. At $40 its definitely a good value.

At the end of the day these are consumer products being reviewed and price is one of the most important aspects consumers look to.

Why did you cut this part off?

If you want to talk about a game's price, discuss it in a sidebar. Don't allow it to directly affect the score you give the title. Are we ok with games being viewed as disposable products do we want them to be treated as art?

If you want to discuss price, fine. But it has almost nothing to do with the quality of a game and it should almost never affect a game's score. Breath of the Wild or Bloodborne would not be better games if they launched at $40. Crash would not be a worse game at $60. Value is important to many people and I have no problem with it being addressed, but a game's MSRP should rarely, if ever, result in a higher or lower score.

They absolutely shouldn't, except maybe in extreme cases where someone is trying to, like, sell a game that lasts 5 minutes and is priced 60$.

So price is important. Im not saying every review needs to say whether it's worth the asking price. In many respects games usually do have the content.

Something like MGSV: GZ. Has very little content for the initial asking price. Reviews should be informing everyone and not just the hardcore so I think it's fair that people should be told how much they're really paying for.

Games don't usually get updated reviews after patch fixes and they are reviewed as they are on release. Hence why I think price is absolutely important to consider if necessary. Again, I'm not saying every review needs to consider price but if it's worth noting it absolutely should be.

EDIT: im also not talking specifically about scores. Im talking about the actual content of the review itself.

Toxi

Banned
Why would critical reviews be a definitive determining factor in any fan's perception? If you like it, like it on your own terms. I don't see why anyone needs to seek validation in their position while trying to reconcile it with whatever the Metacritic score is.
A few people have been shitting up Crash threads continuously about how the games were never popular/acclaimed/good. It's gotten so obnoxious that the OT for this game has a request in the OP to not make those shitposts.

While a Metacritic score certainly isn't a definitive determining factor of a game's quality, it's a pretty good rebuttal to that nonsense about nobody liking Crash but deluded fans who never owned a N64 or whatever.

Reviews shouldn't always do something or always not do something.

Price is valid to talk about if the writer feels it's relevant. If they don't, and you disagree with its relevance, read a review that does.

muteki

If you want to discuss price, fine. But it has almost nothing to do with the quality of a game and it should almost never affect a game's score. Breath of the Wild or Bloodborne would not be better games if they launched at $40. Crash would not be a worse game at $60. Value is important to many people and I have no problem with it being addressed, but a game's MSRP should rarely, if ever, result in a higher or lower score.

I can understand this in theory, but I don't see how you can critique the amount of content without taking into account the asking price. You get what you pay for.

Excited for new comers to realize that Cortex Strikes Back is the GOAT Crash game.

Warped fans are in denial!
original game enthusiasts don't exist

Toxi

Banned
More content doesn't always equal "better" for people. Sometimes it's the opposite; look at the common criticism of games like Shadow Warrior as too long. So don't expect the amount of content to matter to every reviewer.

More content doesn't always equal "better" for people. Sometimes it's the opposite; look at the common criticism of games like Shadow Warrior as too long. So don't expect the amount of content to matter to every reviewer.
Crash is all killer no filler anyway (minus maybe a few gimmic levels). No grinding, no boring sidequests ect. The only thing slowing it down are the loading screens so I would suggest minimizing jumping between games.

hawk2025

... That is precisely the point.

The price is an objective, simple measure the customer observes.

Ori is a 12 hour game. RE7 is a 12 hour game. I see the price for both when choosing what to buy. What purpose whatsoever would it serve me to have a reviewer incorporate objective information I already have into the review score?

kc44135

It's great to see this reviewing well. It seems like Vicarious Visions has done a great job updating them as well. I can't wait to check these games out for the first time!

kc44135

I saw someone mention Gsmestop selling this today....anyone else hear that? I'd love to get my preorder today.

Supposedly, GameStop is doing a "launch party" for Crash, and you can pick the game up at 9:00 EST. Probably best to call 'em up and ask about it anyway, though.

Pretty good scores, and the negatives seem natural/to be expected.

Yet, with this collection it's kinda what you want. No one wants to play a Crash that doesn't feel like Crash, warts and all.

sn00zer

Any review that focuses on the remastering aspect? Dont want to sift through a hubdred reviews saying a game with outdated gameplay has iutdated gameplay.

Any review that focuses on the remastering aspect? Dont want to sift through a hubdred reviews saying a game with outdated gameplay has iutdated gameplay.
Have you read or watched any? Every one I have viewed has touched upon the technical achievements.

With this logic, then all $5 games should be awesome. Thinking like that, a reviewer should give a low priced game extra points cause it was $2 or $5...

I liked axiom verge better than Fallout 4, neither was worth their respective launch prices in the first place.
I bought FO4 when it was $20 and AV when it was 10..
Fallout gives me more bang for my buck, as it being a longer game, but I bought it at a 3rd of the price while I waited till axiom was half the price. I still like AV better.

You could even see it as I paid more for axiom verge because it was bought at only half the price versus a third, and being a shorter game.

Price should not have bearing on a review. It's either a good game or not. How's a reviewer supposed to gauge price fairly if most get the game free anyway?

RAIDEN1

Crash Bandicoot is no Mario...is this game better than Sonic Generations? How does it stack up against Ratchet and Klank?

Karak

Oh, it definitely does, I'm not denying that.

But nevertheless, it doesn't bother me that much. My favorite reviewer right now is ACG, and clearly he incorporates some measure of price into the review with the scale used.

How many monster energy drinks its worth to me ;)

Toxi

Banned
If I've never played crash before would this still probably be enjoyable or would its dated heritage hold it back?
Do you like linear platformers? Then you'll probably like Crash. There's nothing in the 2nd and 3rd games (outside of some questionable vehicle controls) that feels archaic

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
2m0eJ.gif

dream is over

Damn he really got in stellar shape for kingsman 1, moving around like prime Jet Li.

Top Bottom