• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critics' Top Movies of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Thought it would be interesting to look at some film critics top movies of 2012. Which ones, if any, mirror your own opinion or come closest?

This is only a brief list of critics - so if you feel I need to update the list with any other names, feel free to post them.

Edit: Some more

OP PM resident GAF movie hounds sculli and expendable for their top 10's

FairyD

Do you guys watch movies alone? I can't convince my friends to watch 75% of those movies with me. They were putting up a fight against Django Unchained for today.

happens with me, I actually prefer going alone now. I get tired of hearing my friends bitch and moan about movies they dislike.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I'm surprised that people still believe Dark Knight Rises is a good movie.

I'd have thought everyone would have snapped out of their denial by now.

So I was interested to read that Roeper review of Prometheus but I could only find a YouTube video of him regurgitating the plot while saying the movie is stunning and grotesque, did he actually critique it at some point?

Orson Wells is a rich guy. PUT IT IN THE TOP 10.

Rough percentage of people who namecheck Citizen Kane in their film arguments THAT HAVE ACTUALLY WATCHED CITIZEN KANE: 37.29%

I'm also not being facetious. If Liam Neeson socks up a fucking wolf: PUT IT IN THE TOP 10.

(I'm being KINDA facetious but it's a really good movie)

Kevtones

It's absurd. The emotional/ethereal part did actually grab me for whatever reason, but yeah...not top ten worthy to me.

It's a popcorn survivalist flick with some real brutal moments. Felt like it treaded the fine line of not being too self-important.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The Grey was great, flawed but bits of it were absolutely wonderful.

No problem with it getting on lists.

Rough percentage of people who namecheck Citizen Kane in their film arguments THAT HAVE ACTUALLY WATCHED CITIZEN KANE: 37.29%

I'm also not being facetious. If Liam Neeson socks up a fucking wolf: PUT IT IN THE TOP 10.

(I'm being KINDA facetious but it's a really good movie)

I've seen Kane half a dozen times. Come on now.

The Grey could've been trash. I'm not arguing that it's on par with most of the other films on the list, but it certainly seemed to try to be a bit more than what I expected it to be.

Also, here's a compiled list, with Number 1 = 10 points, Number 2 = 9 points, etc.:

Top 10 in bold.

Zero Dark Thirty 65
Lincoln 54
Amour 53
The Master 48
Argo 34
Beasts of the Southern Wild 29
Once Upon a Time In Anatolia 25
Life of Pi 23
The Dark Knight Rises 22
Silver Lining Playbook 22

Django Unchained 20
The Turin Horse 19
Footnote 17
Skyfall 12
Moonrise Kingdom 12
Holy Motors 12
Flight 11
The Queen of Versailles 10
How to Survive a Plague 10
Berberian Sound Studio 10
A Royal Affair 10
Take this Waltz 10
The Grey 9
The Act of Killing 8
Cloud Atlas 7
End of Watch 7
The Sessions 7
The Gatekeepers 7
Looper 6
Arbitrage 6
The Law In These Parts 6
The Kid With a Bike 6
The Perks of Being a Wallflower 5
Cosmopolis 5
Even the Rain 5
Chico and Rita 5
The Color Wheel 4
Les Miserables 4
Rust and Bone 4
Searching for Sugar Man 3
Martha Marcy May Marlene 3
Goodbye First Love 3
Middle of Nowhere 2
Robot & Frank 2
Safety Not Guaranteed 2
Neighboring Sounds 2
Oslo 2
Tabu 1
A Simple Life 1
Prometheus 1
The Raid 1
This Is 40 1

I've seen Kane half a dozen times. Come on now.

Welcome to the glorious 37.29% :)

The Grey could've been trash. I'm not arguing that it's on par with most of the other films on the list, but it certainly seemed to try to be a bit more than what I expected it to be.

It seemed like you thought I was mocking it when I wasn't. I mean, you don't know me, so I don't blame you for thinking I'm goofing about things like Liam Neeson socking up wolves being legitimately fun/good. I might not put it on my own top 10, but it's completely understandable that it'd make a couple critics lists.

edit: Silver Linings Playbook should be in the top 10 you compiled - it has the same score as Dark Knight Rises.

Welcome to the glorious 37.29% :)

It seemed like you thought I was mocking it when I wasn't. I mean, you don't know me, so I don't blame you for thinking I'm goofing about things like Liam Neeson socking up wolves being legitimately fun/good. I might not put it on my own top 10, but it's completely understandable that it'd make a couple critics lists.

edit: Silver Linings Playbook should be in the top 10 you compiled - it has the same score as Dark Knight Rises.

Yeah, I forgot to rearrange a few after the last list. It should be fixed now.

I'm surprised that Seven Psychopaths and Killing Them Softly aren't anywhere on these lists.

cackhyena

I'm with ya, buddy.

iboZtudgyLM6R.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Do you guys watch movies alone? I can't convince my friends to watch 75% of those movies with me. They were putting up a fight against Django Unchained for today.

I'd say 80-90% of my theater trips are alone. Who cares? It's so much easier than trying to arrange something with friends and getting everyone to agree on both a movie and a time. I'll just occupy myself with my phone until the lights dim.

dmshaposv

I definitely don't hate on Nolan to be part of GAF's contrarian squad, but TDKR definitely does NOT deserve to be anywhere near the top 10.

Ridley327

I'm pleasantly surprised by The Grey making a few lists; it really surprised the living hell out of me when I caught on Netflix when it turned out it wasn't the "Taken with wolves" movie that the trailers tried to make it seem. It's not a deep film, but it's really damn good filmmaking all the same.

effzee

LOL another list topic.

Just like any other topic with movies and or music people bitch and moan about other people's tastes and lists. Oh no it doesn't match your opinion so they must be hacks!

Though I am surprised to not see Looper up there if other blockbusters like Skyfall and TDKR made some critics lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom