• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Customers at Michigan Taco Bell find $3600 in drive-thru order, return the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.freep.com/article/20130630/NEWS06/306300095/taco-bell-order-michigan-money

KENTWOOD, MICH. — Instead of tacos and burritos, customers at a Taco Bell drive-thru in Kentwood got a bag full of money.

The 3 hungry customers didn't realize the store had accidentally given them $3,600 dollars until they had driven miles away.
But together Kennidi Rue, Luke Postma and Grant Kruse had to decide what to do. Give it back, or keep it.

The group returned the money and say the best thing about taking it back is finally receiving their food.

They say that's all they wanted in the first place.

RBH

c4s_freeman121509_98586c.jpg

"They could've bought 3,600 tacos with all that money!"

bbdude

Seeing as keeping the money would've technically been theft, and they were probably caught on camera in one way or another, keeping the money was never really an option

Most likely it was a drop.

A lot of times, they will put the register drop into bags.

Someone likely goofed.

Sounds about right.

Which is why I probably would have kept the money.

Seeing as keeping the money would've technically been theft, and they were probably caught on camera in one way or another, keeping the money was never really an option

But if it were drug money (which it almost certainly was), the parties responsible wouldn't have reported it.

usea

But if it were drug money (which it almost certainly was), the parties responsible wouldn't have reported it.
Drug money? What?

Most fast food restaurants transport their money to the bank like this:
Every so often, most of the money from a register is moved to a time lock safe in the office. A few times a day, the safe is opened and counted. Every once in a while, most of the money from the safe is put into a bag and taken to the bank. Usually this is by a manager who is getting off duty. Instead of walking out of the store with a bag labeled "$$", they put the nondescript bag in a food bag and take it out like it's just fast food.

What likely happened here is somebody mixed up the food bags and gave the one with money to a customer.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I would have asked for some extra tacos at least... maybe like 20 of those bean and cheese burritos.

those bad boys are legit.

whitehawk

Banned
Drug money? What?

Most fast food restaurants transport their money to the bank like this:
Every so often, most of the money from a register is moved to a time lock safe in the office. A few times a day, the safe is opened and counted. Every once in a while, most of the money from the safe is put into a bag and taken to the bank. Usually this is by a manager who is getting off duty. Instead of walking out of the store with a bag labeled "$$", they put the nondescript bag in a food bag and take it out like it's just fast food.

What likely happened here is somebody mixed up the food bags and gave the one with money to a customer.

I've wo raked retail where we had to do drops, but using the same bags for food is god damn idiotic. I worked at a theatre, and we didn't use popcorn bags for drops lol.

(._.)

Banned
Its theft if you deliberately keep or spend money that you know isnt yours. Same as using money that some stranger accidentally deposited into your bank account.

I don't believe this is completely true. This part is kind of like misaddressed mail. Isn't it?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Everything about this says drug deal. They are all covering each others asses with this fake story.

KissVibes

Banned
I've wo raked retail where we had to do drops, but using the same bags for food is god damn idiotic. I worked at a theatre, and we didn't use popcorn bags for drops lol.

I don't mean to alarm you but not everyone does things the same way.

And you think clutching a closed popcorn bag is the same as a closed fast food bag? Come on.

usea

Usually at my store, the general manager would leave and get in his car. He'd come through the drive through, and an employee (or another manager) would hand him the fast food bag that contained the money bag. This would usually happen either just before or after lunch.

GhaleonEB

I worked two fast food jobs during and after high school where we did use food bags now and then as a disguise. We had normal bank deposit drop pouches, but would hide them in something when walking with it to the bank. It was a rule at both places to never just carry an exposed bank deposit bag, since it's a giant target for someone to steal. (This was partly motivated by my working the late shift in a college town.) Food bags were handy and an effective way to hid the bank bag.

It was careless of the shift supervisor to leave the bag outside of the office where the money would have been counted. I'm guessing they put it down for a moment and an employee passed it out the window without them realizing it.

(I had an experience where I deposited a week worth of tips - a few hundred dollars - via a drive up window at the bank. The guy deposited the cash, then sent the tube back...with the cash in it. I could have gotten the deposit and kept the cash. I circled back and gave him the money for his drawer. Dude was hugely relieved, he might have been fired. I think it would have been stealing had I kept it.)

That's interesting. At the small mall retail store I worked at we had an armored car service pick up our cash even though we never even had that much to deposit. You would think a small time operation would be fine with a manager taking the cash to the bank directly if big nationwide chains are OK with it.

low-G

But if it were drug money, then the drug people would have you on video, then come and MURDER you.

I'm not being sarcastic at all in saying these people would have eventually have gotten a visit from some nasty illegal people. So yeah, return the money, don't die.

.GqueB.

Banned

Who would walk out of a theater holding a popcorn bag? I think a bag with a giant dollar sign on it would be LESS discrete.

Completely honest, I would've kept the money.

Come at me brahs.

I'm not entirely sure what I would do to be honest. I couldn't say either way sitting here right now. Could start a tacobell fund and use that money to eat like a king there for the rest of my life. I mean they're getting it back over time right... RIGHT?!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'd really like more discussion about the legality of keeping it. I'm hardly a lawyer but I'm not convinced it's really theft.

bill0527

Sounds about right.

Which is why I probably would have kept the money.

Not to shit on the thread...but a guy i went to high school with got his head blown off in a CVS parking lot 2 years after we graduated high school...because he found some drug money and decided to keep it.

If I found a wad of cash like that, I am handing it off to someone else.

I don't believe this is completely true. This part is kind of like misaddressed mail. Isn't it?

While it might be difficult to prove, I don't think you're entitled to it if the bank is sufficiently convinced someone did not intend to deposit it in your account. And you are DEFINITELY not entitled to it if it was a bank error.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd really like more discussion about the legality of keeping it. I'm hardly a lawyer but I'm not convinced it's really theft.

I'm not quite clear on this particular scenario, but I do know in many countries if you accidentally get money deposited into your account and you don't pay it back it can be considered theft.

mr stroke

I would have sat on the money for a couple months and see what happens. If no phone calls, letters, or gangsters showing up at my door with in a month I would be in Vegas with an 8ball and strippers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Taco Bell corporate should give them each a $1200 gift card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom