• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Currently Has No Plans For PS5, Xbox Series X Versions

magnumpy

I can honestly see CDPR releasing a BC Enhancement Patch for PS5 and XSX on launch day in Holiday 2020 to bump up resolution, frame rate and loading times (maybe Ray Tracing too but probably not), then in 2021 they will release a specific Next Gen Release filled with some exclusive content to entice fans to make the purchase, and if a fan already has a physical copy of the PS4 version then they can get the new content via a purchasable upgrade from the PS Store/Microsoft Storefront.

there will presumably be a number of addons/DLC packs for this game...

MMaRsu

Banned
While I wouldn't go as far as the bold, I agree with the sentiment.

Who are they trying to fool with this? They want people's money twice. It's straight out of the Rockstar playbook.

Well.. no.

The old hardware is at this point over 7 years old. In tech years, its fucking ancient. Especially the base Xbox One is really old. Its a miracle games like RDR2 run this well on it. In a game densely packed like Cyberpunk 2077 it will be really hard to get good performance while also having the game still look good.

They are focussing all if not most of their energy into these console versions, aside the pc version. The pc version can then be maxed out and later ported to next gen consoles.

The amount of people who own a current gen console is very high, and the amount of people who will own a PS5/Xbox Next will be very low so why focus on these systems right now? They want the most sales on current gen/PC, and then they will focus on the next gen consoles after launch. You can keep a few devs on the current gen versions to patch things up, but most of their team will work on next gen once the current gen versions are ready.

Also CDPR doesnt have the amount of devs that Rockstar does, making the port to next gen will be a more difficult task for CDPR than it was for Rockstar.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah dont think for a second that ancient piece of tech is giving them any problems :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well since Witcher III runs on Switch...which is even more "ancient", I would not worry about that too much. That is probably going to be crap, that's a different thing : )

MMaRsu

Banned
Well since Witcher III runs on Switch...which is even more "ancient", I would not worry about that too much. That is probably going to be crap, that's a different thing : )

Well yes but remember this was done much later after the game was already out and all other versions were running as good as cdpr wanted. They had a lot of time to downgrade Witcher 3 and still have it be playable on Switch.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well yes but remember this was done much later after the game was already out and all other versions were running as good as cdpr wanted. They had a lot of time to downgrade Witcher 3 and still have it be playable on Switch.
I mean you know that they are building the game for many years with current gen as a target right?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Also CDPR doesnt have the amount of devs that Rockstar does, making the port to next gen will be a more difficult task for CDPR than it was for Rockstar.

Well...yes and no.

Porting a game is rarely ever the whole team, like.....rarely. The process is much different and most times the original team doesn't even port, as in...many times they outsource to a team that knows how to port. So often you might see something like SFIV come to PS4, that wasn't the original SF team, or MCC on XONE, part of that was actually done by a port team, not 100% by 343. That isn't uncommon, in fact its more common a transfer or port team does the job vs in house. So I feel CDPR might do it in house, doesn't 100% mean they will, they could simply get a team like Bluepoint to port it. They did the 360 version of Titanfall, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, God Of War collection, Metal Gear Solid collection etc. Aspyr is also a great port team.

GTA V on PS3/360 came out in 2013
GTA V on PS4/XONE came out in 2014

So its not as crazy as a job as it might sound like.

EDMIX

Xbox Series X is forward compatible, A series X disc could play on all the Xbox One consoles...

Well...not really. MS titles will be last gen and simply ported to Series X, as in....they will be XONE games that can play on Series X...... That is based on MICROSOFT choosing to do that, that isn't something you are going to see all 3rd party developers do to even argue that is the systems feature or something.

It would be like saying PS3 is forwards compatible and FFVII port on PSN can play the regular disk from PS1...... or, or....they simply play both versions. The PSN port and the PS1 original.

So from what I'm reading about what MS is doing, they are going to continue to support XONE, so if Hellblade 2 is getting bump in resolution because of Series X, I see that NO DIFFERENT then it getting a bump from XBONE X, its simply a XONE game that is getting a bump in resolution and frame rate. To me, that isn't "forwards compatible", that is simply not releasing next gen games and just continue to make XONE games.

Could we not call XB Series X, the NEXT upgrade for XONE X? Lets just argue for a minute that MS and Sony said they want a upgrade to this gen like X and Pro, and MS's first upgrade was the XBONE SERIES X aka XBONE X2 or something, would it not actually be EXACTLY what you are even talking about?

A XONE game that plays on XONE X is a moot point, we know that is what its going to do as it was made to just play XONE games better, Series X pretty much sounds exactly like that if they have no interest int he next 2 years to make any new games for Series X.

Might as well say it is a X2 or something. Putting a "Series X" on the box doesn't change anything anymore then putting XONE on the box of 360 games would change something and when they added BC, they did that too btw.

6128sJB3HhL._AC_SX430_.jpg

So no fancy names needed, its simply a last gen game playing on a current gen system.

Siri

Banned
Well.. no.

The old hardware is at this point over 7 years old. In tech years, its fucking ancient. Especially the base Xbox One is really old. Its a miracle games like RDR2 run this well on it. In a game densely packed like Cyberpunk 2077 it will be really hard to get good performance while also having the game still look good.

They are focussing all if not most of their energy into these console versions, aside the pc version. The pc version can then be maxed out and later ported to next gen consoles.

The amount of people who own a current gen console is very high, and the amount of people who will own a PS5/Xbox Next will be very low so why focus on these systems right now? They want the most sales on current gen/PC, and then they will focus on the next gen consoles after launch. You can keep a few devs on the current gen versions to patch things up, but most of their team will work on next gen once the current gen versions are ready.

All of this is irrelevant.

The point is that CDPR, yet again, has lied to us. They need to tell the truth. For fuck’s sake, did you not even read the thread title.

EDMIX

The point is that CDPR, yet again, has lied to us. They need to tell the truth. For fuck’s sake, did you not even read the thread title.

Agreed. Its sad when Ubisoft of all publishers not only learned their lesson after the whole Watchdogs / The Division thing, they out right created a policy to only show playable titles to avoid it, now when they put out a trailer or demo, we pretty much know that is what the final game will look like. I understand why someone might downgrade a title, but this late into the generation, the team should already know what they can or can't do.

To have ANOTHER downgrade situation tells me what happened with Witcher 3 was 100% intentional and they never really felt bad about lying to consumers about the state of the game. Why show CGI at E32019? Stuff like that makes it seem as if they are indeed looking to hook gullible gamers and take advantage of them. I have no clue after such a controvery with Witcher 3, that they'd do something as dumb as show CGI for Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe they saw just how much units they sold to people who "thought" the Witcher 3 trailer they originally saw would be the final game.

CGI, on top of downgrades, on top of removed features is not a good look. If it really turns out like this, they've become the Peter Molyneux of this era.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
The delay is really going to fuck them over. We all expect next gen versions now; we are thinking of next gen. Ain't nobody got time for 20fps last gen Cyberpunk.

DonF

Gold Member
source.gif

Yeah, right CD PR.

Maybe cause they know that a patch with PS5 and XBSX support is enough.

MMaRsu

Banned

They dont need to do jack shit, you arent owed anything from them.

Take it or leave it.

Top Bottom