• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

It's... it's... beautiful.

cat-1.jpg

All other games are for waiting now.

Zeliard

Locke562 said:
Same here. Starting over, too.

Same.

I wonder how long it'll take me to get acclimated to the feel of combat again, playing all these comparatively easy, hand-holding games in the meantime.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I think the 'rhino' is an armoured boar, going by the tusks and Japanese games' obsession with armoured boars.

edit: Totally missed an opening for 'I can tell by the tusks and having seen quite a few armoured boars in my time.'

Dennis

Banned
Truly 2011 will be the year of the WRPG with The Witcher 2, TES: Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Just kidding, don't kill me.

Its nice to see that JRPGs can be cutting edge and innovative. I really hope other japanese developers take positive attitude to the success of Demon's Souls and implement some of the gameplay aspects into their future games - not least the unforgiving difficulty level.

jett

D-Member
Steroyd said:
This is virtually Demon Souls 2.

Still scratching my head at Sony's attitude towards Demon Souls outside of Japan.

Sony missed the boat. Demon's Souls sold 4X in USA what it did in Japan. Dumbasses.

Man

DennisK4 said:
Truly 2011 will be the year of the WRPG with The Witcher 2, TES: Skyrim and Dark Souls.
Just kidding, don't kill me. ´
Its s nice to see that JRPGs can be cutting edge and innovative.

Dark Souls is more 'western' than actual wrpgs these days.
You are wearing medieval armors and not outrageous costumes. A sword slash is lethal and everything moves at a realistic pace. The world is full of stink and despair.
And the online multiverse functionality of DS as well as texturizing the game world in a lobby & faq quide are still the most brilliant piece of game design and new thinking seen in years.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
DennisK4 said:
Its nice to see that JRPGs can be cutting edge and innovative. I really hope other japanese developers take positive attitude to the success of Demon's Souls and implement some of the gameplay aspects into their future games - not least the unforgiving difficulty level.

There have been brutally difficult, intelligent and innovative JRPGs before - Vagrant Story and Dragon Quarter spring to mind - but the reactions among the fanbases were...mixed. So the developers didn't line up to repeat them.

I'm not picking a fight at all, I just think it's a shame that much of the most heated WRPGvsJRPG discussions are completely dismissive of the iconoclasts. (That goes for WRPGs too - it's like Alternate Reality or Darklands never happened.)

*turns into a vase*

I WAS NEVER HERE

Despera

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Just kidding, don't kill me.

It sure is the year of the WRPG and one awesome JRPG that is Dark Souls.

Dennis

Banned
Man said:
Dark Souls is more 'western' than actual wrpgs these days.
I agree in so far as Demon's Souls and The Witcher are the two only recent 'Dark Fantasy' games I can recall. I wish more RPGs would take the Low/Dark Fantasy route.

Gorgon

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Very possible, but that new Gamespot read-up makes it seem like there is still a "portal" area of some kind. Or did I just read that completely wrong? Either way, I would love for it to be some sort of online lobby.

I woudn't put to much credence in that Gamespot article. The guy doesn't seem to understand shit what he's talking about.

Eccocid

Gorgon said:
I woudn't put to much credence in that Gamespot article. The guy doesn't seem to understand shit what he's talking about.

Mayb those campfires are kinda hub areas, checkpoints where you can summon players r buy new equipment etc and go to a new area...

Gorgon

DennisK4 said:

ATLUS Megaten games are already pretty tough going in the higher difficulty setting. Japanese are like western developers: we have to see beneath the "AAA" stuff to get to the pearls.

Gorgon

D2M15 said:
There have been brutally difficult, intelligent and innovative JRPGs before - Vagrant Story and Dragon Quarter spring to mind - but the reactions among the fanbases were...mixed. So the developers didn't line up to repeat them.

I'm not picking a fight at all, I just think it's a shame that much of the most heated WRPGvsJRPG discussions are completely dismissive of the iconoclasts. (That goes for WRPGs too - it's like Alternate Reality or Darklands never happened.)

*turns into a vase*

I WAS NEVER HERE

Darklands, ohh the memories. Such a fucking great setting and game.

Gorgon

DennisK4 said:
I agree in so far as Demon's Souls and The Witcher are the two only recent 'Dark Fantasy' games I can recall. I wish more RPGs would take the Low/Dark Fantasy route.

That makes us two.

Hypereides

Gold Member
theBishop said:
Wow, looks like cross platform development suits them. Much bigger budget.

So... is Sony going to try to make "Demon Souls 2" now? :lol

I havent played Ds yet, but from the high praises and critical acclaim Sony is super stupid for not having poked From about a sequel. The best they can hope for now is probably some kind exclusive extra content by the mercy of From or something.

Gorgon

Eccocid said:
Mayb those campfires are kinda hub areas, checkpoints where you can summon players r buy new equipment etc and go to a new area...

The areas will be seamless, so I don't see the campfires in that sense. But they can surely be mini-hubs, "respawn" points, "summon" points, etc.

Canova

Banned
What's with this turning into a vase thing? I haven't read the preview, don't wanna spoil it too much, but I'm curious about the vase

Gorgon

canova said:
What's with this turning into a vase thing? I haven't read the preview, don't wanna spoil it too much, but I'm curious about the vase

Curiosity killed the cat.

carlo6529

Gonna be good. My game of the year will be either this or skyward sword most likely. This will definately be my ps3 goty though.

Elixist

Danielsan said:
Because anyone with a Team Buddies avatar is a friend of mine:

6dmfq.gif

It's only 57px high though due to the fact that the action takes up a lot of screen real estate, the GAF width limit is 90px and I hate stretched images. :p

edit: slightly bigger

YFCFP.gif

Taken and thank you new friend!

Eccocid

Gorgon said:
The areas will be seamless, so I don't see the campfires in that sense. But they can surely be mini-hubs, "respawn" points, "summon" points, etc.

IT can be seamless but it doesnt mean you can go for example to desert from every point.
Probably most of the locations would be connected by a path(not corridor) maybe more than one etc..
So there might be open places and more narrow areas with paths and forks on them with camping spots!
Oh i just wanna camp like in BoF games!

Top Bottom