• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

NTom64

Holy shit...that looked amazing.

I've never played Demon Souls (haven't got a PS3). Is this like Zelda, at all? Just in terms of going round and killing monsters, mind you.

LaneDS

NTom64 said:
Holy shit...that looked amazing.

I've never played Demon Souls (haven't got a PS3). Is this like Zelda, at all? Just in terms of going round and killing monsters, mind you.

It is amazing, but I wouldn't say it's very similar to Zelda. Although this one is apparently more open than Demon's Souls... so maybe it'll fit the bill a bit more. Plenty of going around and killing monsters though, that's for sure. Also plenty of them going around and killing you. That's also for sure.

slewis7

Oh, Happy Happy Joy Joy!

This looks almost exactly like DS, which is great by me. Presumably it will use the latest version of the PhyreEngine, which was not released when DS came out. According to Wikipedia "Version 2.40, released in March 2009, included a new “foliage rendering” system that provides tools and technology to render ultra-realistic trees and plants to be easily integrated into games".

Demon's Souls is like everything a gamer could want. Just you the player stuck in a big place filled with tons of shit trying to kill you, and that you can kill. So atmospheric and awesome and badass.

Speevy

Banned
One thing From Software absolutely has to do is remove every single loophole that lets players sit back and kill bosses from aftar.

There are too many ways to set poison traps and wait or stand behind artificial barriers in DS. Too tempting.

NTom64

LaneDS said:
It is amazing, but I wouldn't say it's very similar to Zelda. Although this one is apparently more open than Demon's Souls... so maybe it'll fit the bill a bit more. Plenty of going around and killing monsters though, that's for sure. Also plenty of them going around and killing you. That's also for sure.

Hell yeah, that'll do me just fine.

Any word on online co-op? Would be nice to go round with a mate and kill and/or be killed by monsters lol.

LaneDS

Speevy said:
One thing From Software absolutely has to do is remove every single loophole that lets players sit back and kill bosses from aftar.

There are too many ways to set poison traps and wait or stand behind artificial barriers in DS. Too tempting.

I agree, but that game was hard enough where I didn't feel at all guilty for sitting there like a goon for twenty minutes shooting arrows at the dragon in 1-2 (which was the only one I legitimately gamed the system on).

Lard

Banned
A.R.K said:
That's it...

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Mine too!

LaneDS

NTom64 said:
Hell yeah, that'll do me just fine.

Any word on online co-op? Would be nice to go round with a mate and kill and/or be killed by monsters lol.

The first one had very unique online co-op, and while details are scarce on this one's online options so far it will absolutely contain online co-op (and PvP) as well... looks pretty similar judging by the trailers.

I'm in for another round of massochism.

From Software, your logo might be a poor Star Wars font impersonnation,
but damn your last games are freaking amazing...

Day 1

Curufinwe

Gorgon said:
See Bioware? This is what DARK FANTASY is all about.

If From Software knew how to evolve the RPG then all their characters would be covered in blood splatter because that's what's really cool.

NTom64

LaneDS said:
The first one had very unique online co-op, and while details are scarce on this one's online options so far it will absolutely contain online co-op (and PvP) as well... looks pretty similar judging by the trailers.

Awesome. Thanks for the info, big help.

360 version here I come <3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The online multiplayer options in DS, in my humble opinion, are what took it from are what took it from truly unique, challenging, and enjoyable videogame to work of art.

Canova

Banned
Hawkian said:
The online multiplayer options in DS, in my humble opinion, are what took it from are what took it from truly unique, challenging, and enjoyable videogame to work of art.

yup, and I hope they improve it even more.

3 vs 3 PvP. BELIEVE

I see that you no longer have torch attached to your belt and instead you carry it. That should be interesting in dark corners. Or maybe that was just the cutscene? We'll see. I hope we also get awesome characters like the ones in Demon's Souls too. Maiden in Black, Garl Vinland and Biorr of Twin Fangs were my favorite.

I'm there day 1, and I've never even finished Demon's Souls. I'll get really into it for a week and then get super frustrated and walk away, but it's such a great game and I hate to hear people hate on it on podcasts and stuff like that.

The art direction is great, the graphics are awesome, and the gameplay is unconventional but when you learn how to play it right (it's still okay for games to be like this!) it's really rewarding.

The UI could use some cleaning up, as could stat management. It always felt a little obtuse trying to figure out what all the attributes really meant (along with the bizarre symbols they made up for everything). Hopefully they fix it.

RustyNails said:
I see that you no longer have torch attached to your belt and instead you carry it. That should be interesting in dark corners. Or maybe that was just the cutscene? We'll see. I hope we also get awesome characters like the ones in Demon's Souls too. Maiden in Black, Garl Vinland and Biorr of Twin Fangs were my favorite.

Nah, sword and board is too vital a playstyle to force it out by making you hold the torch. Much prefer to keep the hip-light and that's what I expect they'd go with.

Honestly the ONLY negative I ever had about Demon's Souls was when some awesome loot dropped from an enemy but you can't carry it, so basically unless you drop something else you really need you end up missing it. Hope they worked something out to avoid those situations, or at least give us something to work with to be better prepared for it.

see5harp said:
I enjoyed both games but the ideal game would be a mashup of both Dragon Age and Demon's Souls.

Eh, I don't think so honestly. There isn't much wrong with the formula of DS. The combat is far better. What is it you think would be a good mashup? Just curious.

RustyNails said:

No crystal but there was a clip of someone holding up a candle/lantern made from a skull.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
By far the best trailer this year.

Why can't other developers follow suit?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This thread is about Dark Souls.

There are plenty of JRPG vs. WRPG threads out there for you to debate in instead.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
canova said:
The atmosphere of this game just oozes dark, desperation, solitude, in every single pore
Canova, how many times are we going to watch this trailer before release?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nirolak said:
This thread is about Dark Souls.

There are plenty of JRPG vs. WRPG threads out there for you to debate in instead.

Does anyone really believe Demon's Souls is a JRPG? o_O

stealth edit: of course I agree that the debate is dumb in this thread.

Top Bottom