• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (Sony Bend, UE4) - E3 2016 Gameplay Walkthrough

ViciousDS

Banned
The fact that we finally get full on hordes DayZ style is fucking awesome. The tension in a zombie game is going to feel so good. I can imagine you probably see at least one settlement get marked over the course of the game. Going to be interesting to see how settlements are handled and defended. I'm really interested in this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I assume this has been posted, but the Devs of Days Gone just sat down with RoosterTeeth and they are talking all about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyCHplt0no

Since Rooster Teeth is broadcasting live, just click the link, rewind the video about 30-45 minutes, they are really breaking it down.

* Studio is about 100 people, was around 40 - 50 for Uncharted Vita.

* Game is PS4 Exclusive, no PC mode "We are Sony Bend, we are PS4 Exclusive" lol. At Sony Bend, they make it very clear during interview, everyone wears a lot of hats. Many people are involved in different aspects.

* One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right.

* Also, weather has a big effect on traveling and how the bike handles.

* No Multiplayer at all, focusing on their strengths, single player story.

* Demo was a bounty hunting mission, hunting down a biker "2 Dog" and tried to show the danger of leaving the safety of encampments.

* Wanted the game to be a big sandbox of what you would do when "shit goes down."

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Their demo they are showing off on show floor has "millions" of ways to play that demo, depending on what tools you bring with you. The environment also plays a huge role in how you deal with certain situations.

* Takes place just a few years after the "apocolypse" event. Society is starting to try to rebuild, as supplies are starting to run out. Made it sound like part of the game is figuring out what to do with the resources you find.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

* Not willing to talk yet about different story paths, different endings, etc. They chuckled but they dont want to talk about it yet.

* Zombie hoard was all real, no LOD tricks, there are that many people on the screen.

* No release date or time window. They aren't wanting to do that right now.

* It was huge for their studio to be right up there on stage, getting prime focus, along with all of Sony's other big studios. It showed them how much Sony believes in their product. It meant a lot to them.

And thats it! Loved listening to that.

Thank you for the rundown. I am getting pumped!

thelastword

Banned
I assume this has been posted, but the Devs of Days Gone just sat down with RoosterTeeth and they are talking all about the game.

Since Rooster Teeth is broadcasting live, just click the link, rewind the video about 30-45 minutes, they are really breaking it down.

* Game is PS4 Exclusive, no PC mode "We are Sony Bend, we are PS4 Exclusive" lol. At Sony Bend, they make it very clear during interview, everyone wears a lot of hats. Many people are involved in different aspects.

* One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right.

* Demo was a bounty hunting mission, hunting down a biker "2 Dog" and tried to show the danger of leaving the safety of encampments.

* Wanted the game to be a big sandbox of what you would do when "shit goes down."

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Their demo they are showing off on show floor has "millions" of ways to play that demo, depending on what tools you bring with you. The environment also plays a huge role in how you deal with certain situations.

* Takes place just a few years after the "apocolypse" event. Society is starting to try to rebuild, as supplies are starting to run out. Made it sound like part of the game is figuring out what to do with the resources you find.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

* Not willing to talk yet about different story paths, different endings, etc. They chuckled but they dont want to talk about it yet.

* Zombie hoard was all real, no LOD tricks, there are that many people on the screen.

* It was huge for their studio to be right up there on stage, getting prime focus, along with all of Sony's other big studios. It showed them how much Sony believes in their product. It meant a lot to them.

Very impressed with this game, it seems to have a good story like TLOU, mixed in with some world war z zombie pileouts and scenarios. The zombie animation I saw in this game is the most impressive I've seen Zombies animate, it looks just like the movie. They really seem to be nailing all aspects of giving us a well rounded and deep zombie/survival game. I can't wait to see how the gameplay and crafting system unfold, but I'm really stoked by the points they've elaborated on. Of course graphics are amazing for such a huge sandboxed game.

Alienous

It was a tech demo with minimal story. The first Last of Us demo was cool but nothing special either.

What?

The first demo of The Last of Us conveyed everything 'unique' about the game. Its story focus, character interaction, combat against human opponents in a zombie game, crafting, violence. It was TLOU in a bottle.

SkylineRKR

I thought this was another TLoU.

But that amount of zombies out for blood, holy shit. I was thinking World War Z right away, one thing that movie did right.

If the whole game unleashes fuckloads of zombies at you i'm in.

Does anyone know about what time they talk about days gone on the archived rooster test stream?

eloxx

This game looks nothing like both of those games to me, aside from the main genre being the same (open world zombie shooters).

A narrative driven, motorgang-based zombie tps with World War Z like hordes chasing you. And it is not like there is anything inherently wrong with this concept?

I didn't mean that these games look alike. I agree with you, they are totally different. I just wanted to say that are other excellent zombie games on PS4.

hesido

Game's looking good, the horde is spectacular, piling up and all that.

I'm also 97% sure he could walk by some zombies because of this special event toning difficulty down or even removing some behaviour of zombies. You don't bring an orchestra and let your player die where they shouldn't.

Top Bottom