• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dealing with crazy drug addled neighbors | A Saga

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe check and see if there are any city ordinances regarding vehicle storage. (Un-registered or registered)
There are a huge number of city ordinances that they're violating. We've sent detailed documentation (including pictures) to the city with all of our many complaints the last few years. What usually happens is: a guy comes out to "inspect" the property, but doesn't even get out of his truck. He then calls us a few days later and says something like "I didn't find any violations. You can't just call me out here because you don't like your neighbors. Also, you need to check your white privilege (I'm white, dude saying this is white, everyone next door is white) and try to have some compassion for the homeless and their situation." Guy even once told my wife and I to stop taking photos and gathering evidence, because what we see and document doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is what he sees and documents.

We're like 99% sure this guy from the city is on the take or getting a cut.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There are a huge number of city ordinances that they're violating. We've sent detailed documentation (including pictures) to the city with all of our many complaints the last few years. What usually happens is: a guy comes out to "inspect" the property, but doesn't even get out of his truck. He then calls us a few days later and says something like "I didn't find any violations. You can't just call me out here because you don't like your neighbors. Also, you need to check your white privilege (I'm white, dude saying this is white, everyone next door is white) and try to have some compassion for the homeless and their situation." Guy even once told my wife and I to stop taking photos and gathering evidence, because what we see and document doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is what he sees and documents.

We're like 99% sure this guy from the city is on the take or getting a cut.
His take is his salary. He gets paid either way. His boss probably told him that stuff like this is not actionable anymore. He might be as dismayed by the whole situation as you are but he also knows nobody will do anything and he might get retaliated against if files it. The city will do something if one of these junkies goes ape shit and stabs another one and they tell the news that they had no reports on the property.

I don't know how common this sort of thing is out there but you might want to send this evidence to the media at this point, if you can find one that would be sympathetic.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Here's one of the photos we took of one of the fires they set in their backyard last year

LJ2E2cD.png

Flames there jumping up about 15-20 ft in the air. Again, they had no running water.

calistan

Gold Member
Here's one of the photos we took of one of the fires they set in their backyard last year

LJ2E2cD.png

Flames there jumping up about 15-20 ft in the air. Again, they had no running water.
This is kind of terrible/awesome to the extent you should probably write a book about it.

You gave reasons for not leaving right now, but if prices have seriously tripled in four years and you wouldn’t have trouble finding a buyer, surely you could get something not too far away, maybe a little smaller, maybe a little less Mad Max.

jshackles

This is kind of terrible/awesome to the extent you should probably write a book about it.

You gave reasons for not leaving right now, but if prices have seriously tripled in four years and you wouldn’t have trouble finding a buyer, surely you could get something not too far away, maybe a little smaller, maybe a little less Mad Max.
My commute to work from an area that has reasonable housing prices is about 1.5 hours. But, that's in a town with a bunch of paper mills (we have a big lumber / paper industry here) and it smells awful there. Driving from reasonably priced, non-smelly housing is about 2-2.5 hours from where I live. Basically - if I want to move, I'm going to have to get a different job. If I'm getting a different job, I might as well move to a state where these kinds of things are handled properly by the city and law enforcement.

Sleepwalker

Get rid of them, nobody will miss them and you can probably make it look like they got stuck underneath the accumulator's trash.
obviously joking. I'm sorry man

Last edited:

JayK47

Home values in my area have gone up about 3x since 2020 when I bought the place. As bad as this is, people would absolutely jump at the chance to buy my house if I put it on the market for even double what I bought it for. And whoever buys it will know they're getting a steal just because it's next to a homeless RV camp.
Seems like an easy decision to move then. I do not think things will get better next door anytime soon.

That's crazy... you have to be down pretty bad or super unlucky where I live to have to live that close to the homeless. And I'm sure the cops/city would do something rather than lecture me about being more sympathetic to the homeless if I called them about it. Do you live on the west coast? That's the vibe I'm getting.

The homeless are everywhere in Oregon, even in the smallest of towns. They are everywhere.

JayK47

Or, you should put up a bunch of cameras and create a YouTube channel based off those idiots. Make some lemonade from all those lemons.

Trilobit

Gold Member
This movie about spying on your neighbours was much better than I anticipated. It got the cozy part of staking out right.

lsiYr4k.jpeg

Mistake

Definitely sue the city and keep a thorough record of everything. Get the media involved as soon as it hits too, because that bit about child trafficking is sure to get attention. It's your best shot at breaking even, because I don't know who the hell would buy your place

Alebrije

You should Start a You tube channel about your neighbours , at least some money could come from this situation

jshackles

Another fun story - last winter we got a bad storm here, and one of the trees in their yard blew over and had a large branch land on one of the vans that was parked in their yard (I guess thankfully not one that was being occupied at the time). Well, it's just been sitting there with a giant tree limb going through the front dash and with the side windows busted out for about 7 or 8 months now. The inside of the van is all moldy from the rain.

TRKYs3F.png

But it's somehow still not the trashiest thing about their front yard.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I would definitely try to get the hell out of there(if you can). One thing I’ve learned with my BS is any time in the future I look for a place I’m going to talk to the neighbors on the street to not only assess who they are as people but I’m going to ask them about the other neighbors not just next door but in the neighborhood. You can have annoying neighbors who live streets away annoy the crap out of you. I have clowns who live somewhere, I have no idea where but it’s definitely close because I see them a few times a week speeding down our street in dirt bikes at top speed doing wheelies and stuff. And kids here play in the street. One of these days they’re going to hit one of those kids and it’s going to be awful. And I got a look at the clowns who do it, it’s just as you’d expect. Total trailer trash.

And my sister has neighbors who live 2 blocks behind her house who set off massive fireworks multiple nights a week during the summer and when she had her newborns it would wake them up every night making dealing with newborn babies and their sleep habits even worse. She almost moved because of it.

Definitely find out where you’re moving and who you’re moving near. It’s a bad problem to deal with and can be awful depending on the state. A place like Oregon that is basically a free for all, but even tougher on crime states, there’s so much grey area with what neighbors do on their property especially when it comes to noise and annoyances. Most of them if they even violate laws are just the lowest levels of misdemeanors and even tough states won’t punish you for it. It really swings you over to the side of vigilante justice.

LimanimaPT

Sell your place, buy their place, and kick everybody out. Repair, clean and sell it. You will even make money out of this.

jshackles

New fun times! My creepy neighbor got two small dogs, a Pitbull and a Rottweiler. He doesn't have anywhere for them to be tied up properly, so he's just letting them roam the streets. Already caught them in my yard a few times. We have leash laws here, so just another thing they're straight up ignoring.

Guess I'll call animal control in the morning, see if they can do anything. I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom