• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, January 10th

blakep267

Ah, my sarcasm meter must be broken :p

I wasn't exactly sure what you were saying in either positive or negative so i was getting clarification.

We know that PS4 is selling less than expected with a Pro bump, and Slim as well is selling less than PS4.

I honestly don't know what impact Switch will inflect onto the marketplace either early next year
i think the PS4 will bounce back in a sense whenever they do a newer bundle. UC4 and COd are probably not gonna cut it. A Horizon bundle should boost sales

labaronx

All we know on fat XB1 is that it fell harshly after August. Majority of sales between August to now has been the S.

We do have data on PS4S sales for September and October though.

September: <100K
October: 130K

What little we know of XB1S sales in September and October.

September: 61K Madden 17 Bundles (Out of a total 332,800, missing Halo and Minecraft S Bundles)
October: 132K Gears 4 + BF1 Bundles (Out of a total 329,000, missing Halo, Minecraft, and Madden S Bundles)

XB1S is the clear winner against PS4S.

Weren't there still significant cod blops 3 bundles selling during aug-oct when slim ps4 dropped though

novabolt

A really good month for Sony. Like... Really Good.

Aaron?

I think we'll see a narrow PS4 win in Dec, as indicated by both the Adobe report and the comfortable Amazon win (not using it as an extrapolation, but it is a vendor representing ... maybe 5 to 10% of the market. Specially with Cyber Monday included).

Let's see what Abdiel tells us as for BB.

January... I feel we'll see a return to "normal".
XB1 "crash", PS4 doing well to really well for 3/4 months before the spring slow down, as I think the XB1S saw a boost thanks to the combined effect of novelty design/ 4K uhdBR and a few strong exclusives (GeoW4/ FH3) plus the BF1 hype.
Early 4K adopters will have one by now, and disks don't seem to be flying off the shelves, so the format itself isn't really taking it seems so far (and likely won't until Disney goes in).

Xbox will crash, how come? Unless the PS4 is packing fire for the mainstream public, I don't think normality will return anytime soon.

Elandyll

Banned
Weren't there still significant cod blops 3 bundles selling during aug-oct when slim ps4 dropped though
Yes, and the Pro pre-order situation also makes the comparison a lot less clear cut than Welfare would like it to be imo.

The fact that in Dec you'll have 4x PS4 SKUs (Slim UC4, Slim COD, Slim LE FF XV, Pro) will also complicate things to know what's really up unless we get some details around the 21st.

Xbox will crash, how come? Unless the PS4 is packing fire for the mainstream public, I don't think normality will return anytime soon.
We shall see :)

This appreciation (notice the quotes around "crash" though) is based on what was happening every year so far since 2014.

It seems that, at least until now, the XB1 buyers have been very sensitive to the price going back up, and the relative slow down in "big" exclusives in Q1. #shrug

ianpm31

Ah, my sarcasm meter must be broken :p

I wasn't exactly sure what you were saying in either positive or negative so i was getting clarification.

We know that PS4 is selling less than expected with a Pro bump, and Slim as well is selling less than PS4.

I honestly don't know what impact Switch will inflect onto the marketplace either early next year

Sony is on pace to hit their 60 million shipped goal at the end of the fiscal year so you might mean according to gaf expectations. Pro is doing exactly what it is suppose to do and one day the pro will hit that sweet price point too and masses will see even more value

jmaine_ph

X1S has been outselling the standard/slim PS4 since its launch. The PS4 pro launching should have been a huge momentum booster but it has only kept up the existing pace (in NA). I'd be willing to put money on more Xbox users jumping ship to scorpio than PS4 users to pro.

So because you expected the Pro to do something that it supposedly didn't do in a month means the sales are disappointing? Didn't PS4 have the better Cyber Monday which is included in this NPD? Didn't Amazon just release a list show the Slim was the best selling bundle of the whole year? That the Pro wasn't to far behind it in ranking?

Welfare

Yes, and the Pro pre-order situation also makes the comparison a lot less clear cut than Welfare would like it to be imo.

The fact that in Dec you'll have 4x PS4 SKUs (Slim UC4, Slim COD, Slim LE FF XV, Pro) will also complicate things to know what's really up unless we get some details around the 21st.

If the Pro actually had a factor in the PS4 selling less before November then the Pro launch would have made back the gap. Don't know why that is still being used as a way to explain why the XB1 won those months.

All we know on fat XB1 is that it fell harshly after August. Majority of sales between August to now has been the S.

We do have data on PS4S sales for September and October though.

September: <100K
October: 130K

What little we know of XB1S sales in September and October.

September: 61K Madden 17 Bundles (Out of a total 332,800, missing Halo and Minecraft S Bundles)
October: 132K Gears 4 + BF1 Bundles (Out of a total 329,000, missing Halo, Minecraft, and Madden S Bundles)

XB1S is the clear winner against PS4S.

SWT?
This is kinda stupid logic IMO. Games/Deals move hardware, I would never say one piece of kit is more desirable than the other. A breakout game can change all of that any time for any hardware manufacture. For example, how many sales could be multiple console owners who already have a PS4. I'm getting a Switch probably in March, doesn't mean majority of my software purchases and game time isn't going to be spent on PS4, but Switch could likely outsell it for a while at launch and months afterwards, it doesn't necessarily mean it's more desirable. Could be many folk's second console, as with X1, as with Pro, as with Scorpio.

If the Pro actually had a factor in the PS4 selling less before November then the Pro launch would have made back the gap. Don't know why that is still being used as a way to explain why the XB1 won those months.

I also see very little evidence the majority of Pro purchases weren't just PS4 owners upgrading.

I'm sure some new buyers got on board with the Pro but it's not a large percentage. Thus making the impact on those other months of sales even more negligible of an impact

sirronoh

January through March will certainly be interesting for both consoles.

With PS4, it's hard to say how much momentum they really have at the moment because Q4 is always about price. I'm curious to see how PS4 Slim + Pro does on a normal basis. With Q1 in particular, there's a lot of great Japanese support finally arriving in mass so I wonder if that segment of the PlayStation base already bought a system or if there are some still waiting who will finally jump in.

With Xbox, to some extent I do think they turned a corner for several reasons. First, I have no data to support this but I wonder just how many existing Xbox One owners bought the S because of how much better it is of a system compared to the OG. In other words, out of all the momentum they've gained since summer, how many of those are new players versus existing players? We assumed this would happen with the PS4 Pro but why not with the Xbox One S? I don't think it's beyond reason that there's a passionate segment of the Xbox base that's willing to buy an Xbox One S last year and still get the Scorpio this year.

Second, I'll echo what others have suggested that backwards compatibility may play some role in getting new Xbox owners on board, particularly because it's supposed to carry over some game/achievement progress (is that right?). Third, Gaf likes to makes the bluray player out to be a big deal and while I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things, I don't doubt that there are still some people out there who saw that as an added benefit to get the Xbox One S over the PS4 Pro. And finally, Xbox had some big exclusives and marketing for AAA third-party games that may have helped it as well.

In summary, I don't think there's just one reason why Xbox is doing comparatively better at the end of 2016 compared to the months prior -- there could be multiple reasons. What happens over the next couple of months could help explain what we're seeing now though once we get out of the "new" and holiday phase. On the other hand, it'll be interesting to see what affect the wave of Japanese support provides to PS4 hardware levels over the next few months.

labaronx

Microsoft also had bundles and some of the highest rated software in the months they one too. While the pro excuse,while not wrong, is a little over used, Microsofts first party titles and 3rd party bundles,are often not mentioned in regards to the xb1s success. Both practices are a little deceitful...

Not calling anybody out though....

Elandyll

Banned
Depends on the ratio Slim/ Pros in Nov, and how many of those Pros were ordered outside of Nov (as pre orders).
Say, if 200k sales were Sept/ Oct orders and were done by people who would otherwise have bought Slims (we will never know for a fact, obviously), how does the picture look?

I'll echo some thoughts as to XB1 and agree that January/February will be the true test of it's lasting appeal.

As in how much has the base line actually moved up vs. old owners buying the newer, slimmer box.

I know the UK market is different enough then the US one but looking at the small snippets of info we do have make me hesitate in saying that XB1S increased the baseline so much as to match the PS4 and exceed it assuming the dollar to dollar parity is there in a month like January or February.

I see a lot of people talking about the first quarter of 2017 like it'll be huge for PS4 because of some sort of torrent of software but let's call a spade a spade. There's essentially some extremely niche games coming and an untested new IP. These are unlikely to register as a blip in the big picture of driving console sales.

allan-bh

The guy that works at Gamestop (I forgot his name) said that Pro sales in november was basically for people that has the OG PS4.

Microsoft also had bundles and some of the highest rated software in the months they one too. While the pro excuse,while not wrong, is a little over used, Microsofts first party titles and 3rd party bundles,are often not mentioned in regards to the xb1s success. Both practices are a little deceitful...

Not calling anybody out though....

The bolded is really important because Microsoft did a heck of a job spacing out the bundles/SKUs, which in turn helped maintain a high, consistent baseline. If you look at when they were released, they tend to come out either at the beginning of a month or late in the month. The latter is a pretty effective strategy because not only does it gives the XBO a last moment boost, but it also carries over the momentum to the next month.

ethomaz

Banned
Every January (and early new year) this generation had Xbone having a monstruous drop in sales and PS4 having a more "normal" drop in sales.

Why this year will be different? MS always do better on holidays than rest of the year.

I see a lot of people talking about the first quarter of 2017 like it'll be huge for PS4 because of some sort of torrent of software but let's call a spade a spade. There's essentially some extremely niche games coming and an untested new IP. These are unlikely to register as a blip in the big picture of driving console sales.

It's not really a test of the PS4 so much as a test of the XB1S.

We've seen PS4 perform in January post holiday season and XB1 fall apart.

If the tides are truly different, we'll see that in January and the months after.

allan-bh

I really doubt that will.

I really doubt that will.

Yeah... That's what my post said... Thanks for agreeing I guess?

Also people are forgetting about Halo Wars 2 during that same period. As far as software that'll actually drive hardware I think it's pretty even between the two consoles.

Every January (and early new year) this generation had Xbone having a monstruous drop in sales and PS4 having a more "normal" drop in sales.

Why this year will be different? MS always do better on holidays than rest of the year.

Xbox one S didn't exist in previous Januarys.

labaronx

The bolded is really important because Microsoft did a heck of a job spacing out the bundles/SKUs, which in turn helped maintain a high, consistent baseline. If you look at when they were released, they tend to come out either at the beginning of a month or late in the month. The latter is a pretty effective strategy because not only does it gives the XBO a last moment boost, but it also carries over the momentum to the next month.

Which i also thought was clever:

Microsoft: heres madden bundle: 2 weeks later heres forza bundle: 2 weeks later heres battlefield 1 bundle: 1.5 weeks later heres gears 4 bundle... it was a pretty effective strategy that sony couldn't compete with.

Also people are forgetting about Halo Wars 2 during that same period. As far as software that'll actually drive hardware I think it's pretty even between the two consoles.

Halo Wars 2 isn't moving anything. RE7 and For Honor are the big early titles for next year and they probably aren't gonna do much that the normal Feb bump doesn't already do normally.

HW2 is likely gonna have a massive drop from 1 in sales as well.

More than anything else in January anyhow.

Yup. I mean third party software usually drives hardware sales anyway but the first half of 2017 is truly lacking in exclusive games that can really motivate hardware sales.

Halo Wars 2 isn't moving anything. RE7 and For Honor are the big early titles for next year and they probably aren't gonna do much that the normal Feb bump doesn't already do normally.

HW2 is likely gonna have a massive drop from 1 in sales as well.

It's got Halo in the title. That automatically makes it the biggest exclusive title in Q1 2017.

Cyber Monday is counted in December, right? Therefore, I believe PS4 takes December.

I can't predict January or February, but I believe PS4 takes March. Horizon is the game everyone is looking forward to.

fbutron

Im positive that Gran Turismo Sport and Persona 5 will move units and they are not extremely niche by any way, add Horizon and other titles like Kindom Hearths that surely draw attention

novabolt

Because every year can change? It's still wise to keep expectations in check though.

labaronx

Isnt halo wars 2 like the ultimate niche title though

Im positive that Gran Turismo Sport and Persona 5 will move units and they are not extremely niche by any way, add Horizon and other titles like Kindom Hearths that surely draw attention

P5 is definitely not Q1 and I don't think it'll really move consoles or sell much more than maybe 500k copies in launch month (this is extremely generous already I think). GT sport we only have a vague 2017 release date.

Isnt halo wars 2 like the ultimate niche title though

The words "Halo" and "niche" are basically antonyms.

Boke1879

Persona 5 isn't moving any hardware.

That said to the person you quoted. Horizon most likely will move hardware. It's going to get a huge marketing push and it's in the casual consumer sphere. People know about it. Add to that there will most likely be a bundle and yea. It'll most hardware.

jmaine_ph

Call it want you want but software is software and will always have he potential to move units. Plus Horizon is many peoples most anticipated game of 2017 and if it reviews well I'm sure it's bound to move even more units than anticipated

sirronoh

There's essentially some extremely niche games coming and an untested new IP. These are unlikely to register as a blip in the big picture of driving console sales.

That's a bit dismissive. Any game has the potential to sell a system for someone because we all have different interests and not everyone is waiting around for the next big AAA game to convince them to jump in. Even then, it may not be one game but a collection of different experiences that become available that finally push someone over the edge to get a console. This particular slate of niche and AA releases for the first half of 2016 has not happened all generation and I would bet that there's a segment of the market that cares more about these kinds of games than the usual open-world shooters and racers. The question is how big is this audience and do they already have a PS4.

I personally think software spending will be good for this time period but many of that audience already has a PS4.

We'll see. It's a bit short-sighted to think that these kinds of titles don't sell consoles though, whether the sale happens now or whether it happened already in anticipation of these kinds of games.

Which i also thought was clever:

Microsoft: heres madden bundle: 2 weeks later heres forza bundle: 2 weeks later heres battlefield 1 bundle: 1.5 weeks later heres gears 4 bundle... it was a pretty effective strategy that sony couldn't compete with.

Yeah, listing all the SKUs and their release dates, we have this:

Aug 2 - 2TB XBO S
Aug 23 - 1TB Madden 17 bundle, 500GB Halo Collection bundle
Sep 27 - 500 Minecraft bundle
Oct 11 - 1TB Gears 4 bundle, 2TB Gears 4 LE bundle
Oct 18 - Battlefield 1 special edition bundle
Oct 21 - 500GB Battlefield 1 bundle
Nov 1 - 500GB Gears 4 deep blue bundle

This was an extremely smart release schedule on Microsoft's part.

Xbone S exists and the console is down yoy... I don't see how it changed anything.

People talks here like XB1S did change the life of Xbox when it is year selling okish.

It is somewhat odd. I think the data points of the PS4 being down and the XB1 being slightly up post-Slim launch (massive increase initially and the YoY change month to month went down significantly as the months progressed) gets conflated into a sort of distorted picture.

That picture gets muddied up even more so given how massively down both consoles were in November.

Duxxy3

GT:S will absolutely move hardware, especially if it's bundled.

If Horizon is good, I think it will be a slow burn that won't spike hardware sales. It will boost them for a few months though.

Persona 5. It's not a system seller in the west.

That's a bit dismissive. Any game has the potential to sell a system for someone because we all have different interests and not everyone is waiting around for the next big AAA game to convince them to jump in. Even then, it may not be one game but a collection of different experiences that become available that finally push someone over the edge to get a console. This particular slate of niche and AA releases for the first half of 2016 has not happened all generation and I would bet that there's a segment of the market that cares more about these kinds of games than the usual open-world shooters and racers. The question is how big is this audience and do they already have a PS4.

I personally think software spending will be good for this time period but many of that audience already has a PS4.

We'll see. It's a bit short-sighted to think that these kinds of titles don't sell consoles though, whether the sale happens now or whether it happened already in anticipation of these kinds of games.

Yes I'm not saying zero consoles will be sold because of the software but my point is they are unlikely to register as anything much more than the regular fluctuations of monthly sales.

The biggest piece of software is Horizon but that's a new IP. Let's take a look at the biggest new IP in recent history, the Last of Us. In its launch month of June 2013 the PS3 was still outsold by the 360 according to NPD.

Undoubtedly some people will buy PS4s for Horizon. But even if it hits a crazy level of quality and mass appeal on the level of TLOU it's unlikely new IP will increase hardware sales greatly.

labaronx

HW1 sold > 1 million at launch.

Suffice to say, HW2 will not remotely be outselling Halo 5 at launch.

I know that.. but by in large calling a game, im assuming, he was refering to nioh as niche when the souls based games have done relatively well sales wise, kinda ironic when the rts genre hardly exist on consoles

I know that.. but by in large calling a game, im assuming, he was refering to nioh as niche when the souls based games have done relatively well sales wise, kinda ironic when the rts genre hardly exist on consoles

I don't think the souls games even sell a mil on a single platform at launch. On top of that this is a souls-like that's new IP. That's the definition of niche.

Saying HW is niche and then bringing up a game like Nioh is kinda strange.

Also I'm not using niche to refer to genre but rather the larger picture of software sales and brand recognition.

Top Bottom