• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

Yoy spelled "Trials" wrong

Stevivor -- 8.5

The pros and cons list in this really needs to be more clear. When he references Pvp imbalance, he's actually talking about team balancing, not weapon balance (which is vastly improved).

The team balance is always going to be harder in 4v4, just by the nature of the game itself. One player quitting or being extraordinarily good (or bad) will have an much greater affect on the outcome of the game versus a 6v6. That's not the game's fault. So far I think they're doing a good job but I could be wrong.

These seem like fair reviews.

I say that as someone who is getting obsessed with D2. If I'm not playing it I'm thinking about it. And while my limited free time might have something to do with this, the last time I can remember feeling like this about a game was probably Demon's Souls.

I quit Destiny 1 numerous times as it took such a huge time investment. It destiny or everything else.

Strakt

God is a Geek Sep 12, 2017
Big, bright, bold, and bursting with content and heart.

InsideGamer.nl Sep 12, 2017
Destiny 2 does a lot better than ts predecessor: it looks better, it's a smooth experience and it really is the full package.

Digital Trends Sep 12, 2017
From a gameplay standpoint, though, this is the best place to enter Bungie’s shared-world shooter, and the most fun Destiny has ever been.

Worth Playing Sep 12, 2017
The story and gameplay mechanics have greatly improved, and it sports many graphical upgrades. It's unfortunate that the enemy AI isn't more challenging, but for this franchise, the fun will always come from the end-game content. As long as players understand and accept that, they should snap up this sequel and prepare for another long adventure.

https://www.stuff.tv/game-reviews/destiny-2/review 5/5

Strakt

We Got This Covered (has spoilers)
Sep 13, 2017

Destiny 2 rights most of the wrongs of the first release, solidifying itself as the must-play shooter of the year, one which will be enjoyed by fans for years to come

Kill3r7

A single mission is half the game?

The raid, while certainly not half the game, is not a single mission. For anyone going in blind it takes a 5+ hours to figure it out. In my experience it is the high point of the game when done right.

Strakt

Game Over Online - 98

Destiny 2 is a near-perfect sequel and fixes the few things that were problematic with the original. It is one of Bungie’s finest games yet and a fantastic FPS that offers a nice learning curve that makes it more accessible than most shooters on the market. The story has a surprisingly high amount of depth to it and adds life to the in-game world in a way that the original simply couldn’t. Anyone who enjoyed the first game should pick this up, and those who missed out can safely jump in thanks to the story structure recapping the broad strokes of what happened before and letting you know things fairly quickly. It’s a gorgeous game that sounds epic and controls like a dream too.

I think anyone writing a review for Destiny 2 without playing the raid is doing their readers a disservice. Guided games have the potential to make raids far more accessible to the general public, and raids have historically been some of the most unique and exciting experiences in Destiny.

Strakt

Trustedreviews - 9

Destiny 2 is one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year, and it does well to tackle one of the biggest issues I had with the original. Featuring a stellar, albeit easy, single-player campaign, excellent combat and class mechanics, and the most enjoyable cooperative multiplayer I've seen in a shooter since Gears of War 4, Destiny 2 is a must-have game...My only concern is that, once again, it seems hell-bent on sucking every moment of free time you have to unlock its most interesting and entertaining features – which might prove a turn-off for more casual players.

Strakt

GamesRadar+ Sep 15, 2017

Evolved beyond what anyone imagined, Destiny 2 realises the FPS-RPG dream with a richness, warmth, and player-minded benevolence that needs to be played to be truly understood.

Digital Chumps Sep 15, 2017

Destiny 2 is the game everyone expected when the first Destiny came out. It’s huge, engulfing and rich with gameplay. It has a bit of everything for everyone and does everything right, including provide an engrossing campaign to start things off. It is certainly a contender for game of the year in my opinion and one game you don’t want to miss.

Critical Hit Sep 15, 2017

Destiny 2 is action at its finest. An improved expansion you’d say, but a magnificent one at that which nails the idea of what it means to forge a legend

Twinfinite Sep 15, 2017

But here, in Destiny 2, from the moment I took control of my Warlock, whom I missed dearly, I was legitimately enjoying myself. From each story beat to every public event where players refused to trigger Heroic, right down to all the engrams that became everything I didn’t want, I’ve had fun

Eurogamer Italy Sep 15, 2017

Destiny 2 introduces some changes to the parts of the old game that needed a 'lifting' most. The final result seems to be an evolution more than a revolution, still the latest Bungie's installment shows the same magic we felt the first time four years ago. The length of the storyline and the depth of the endgame, though, are too important elements to give Destiny 2 at this point.

GamingTrend Sep 15, 2017

Destiny 2 is a massive accomplishment, and a huge step in the right direction for the franchise. With a more focused narrative, more activities to do than ever before, and enormous quality of life improvements to the Destiny sandbox and economy, there isn't much to dislike about Destiny 2.

Everyeye.it Sep 15, 2017

It is a product devoted primarily to its (resilient) community, in continuity with its predecessor, determined to recover its structure and philosophy. But it is also a much more welcoming title for newbies.

COGconnected Sep 15, 2017

Though the game bears imperfections, Bungie has transcended my expectations for Destiny 2. The narrative succeeds in engaging me as a player, every great idea from Destiny 1 has been vastly expanded, and progression rewards are unyielding.
All this publication's reviewsRead full review

3DJuegos Sep 15, 2017

Destiny 2 is everything that we were hoping for the first iteration in 2014. With entertaining and addictive gameplay elements, and an amazing PvE world.

VideoGamer Sep 15, 2017

Marked improvements in style and story, coupled with Bungie's always excellent shooting, make this continued space epic a winner. But that never ending grind, though.

EGM Sep 15, 2017

Destiny 2 is a more polished version of what Bungie created in the first game through simple tweaks and reworks, with the key word being simple. It plays well, invites new players in seamlessly, and honors the fans that have kept the series afloat. However, despite its efforts to be a triumphant propelling of the shooter/RPG genre into a new frontier, the sequel feels more like an update on mechanics that should have been there from the start.

At 85 metacritic. These reviews are looking real good.

ethomaz

Banned
Tells a lot about "early" reviews before play the full game.

11 Reviews before Raid: 82 Meta
31 Reviews after Raid: 88 Meta

And some guys still fight about games being reviewed before unlock full content lol

benzopil

And some guys still fight about games being reviewed before unlock full content lol
well where are people in the OT who didnt like the raid lol

Gator86

The glory of small sample sizes but I doubt you actually care about that.

HoJu

The metacritic is 85.maybe the reviews before Raid wouldn't have changed their scores. And nothing wrong with reviewing what you get on launch... there was a review event too

Played 600 hrs of D1 or something. Played a lot of D2.

I'd give this game an 8. If I rated them separately I'd say the PvE is a 9.5 and the PvP is a 6.5.

Jblanks

Played 600 hrs of D1 or something. Played a lot of D2.

I'd give this game an 8. If I rated them separately I'd say the PvE is a 9.5 and the PvP is a 6.5.
But PVP is like 1/4 of the game at most, but you have them as equal parts? For me the PVE stuff is a 9, while the PVP stuff is around 7.5.

I would give it pretty much what the meta score is right now 8.5-8.8, some flaws which for the most part can be addressed which is nice, but overall a very big step up from D1. Still havent done the raid.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Game is good, no suprise... the expansions should be great and I imagine 3 will be something special.

K.Sabot

Light level 288 atm, would probably give this game a solid 7. Solid is a great word for it, just all around pretty darn fun.

Its probably amazing to people who didn't play 1, kinda wish I skipped now tbh.

God damn at the reviews. Nice. I honestly thought it'd end up like D1 and get a bunch of 7 and 8/low 8s. Didnt think it'd end up with an 85 on Metacritic.

Light level 288 atm, would probably give this game a solid 7. Solid is a great word for it, just all around pretty darn fun.

Yeah as a PC only player I feel kind of grateful to do it all for the first time. haven't played a Bungie game since reach.

ethomaz

Banned
The metacritic is 85.maybe the reviews before Raid wouldn't have changed their scores. And nothing wrong with reviewing what you get on launch... there was a review event too
It is the same to say nothing wrong to review watching half of movie.

Gator86

It is the same to say nothing wrong to review watching half of movie.

They're not analogous at all. The raid is not half the game. It's not even close. You just want the metacritic to be higher. It's going to settle somewhere in the mid to high 80s in the end either way.

SomTervo

Yeah I feel that anyone who has reviewed it already has missed haif the game

I'm so confused by the concept of "raids" as some kind of elite "prestige" content

Why not just make more of the average content like the Raid?

God damn at the reviews. Nice. I honestly thought it'd end up like D1 and get a bunch of 7 and 8/low 8s. Didnt think it'd end up with an 85 on Metacritic.

7s and low 8s are the worst! (I'm not a Destiny fan)

Strakt

Man some of you guys argue over the dumbest shit. At the end of the day, raids and trials are a part of the game.. thus reviewers waited. The ones who waited.. good for them. The ones who didn't.. they're missing out on a portion of the game. At the end of the day, the game is scoring really well compared to the first... so lets just be happy about that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

The more I play it the more I feel the same way; if people haven't played D1, the experience must be mindblowing.

SomTervo

Man some of you guys argue over the dumbest shit. At the end of the day, raids and trials are a part of the game.. thus reviewers waited. The ones who waited.. good for them. The ones who didn't.. they're missing out on a portion of the game. At the end of the day, the game is scoring really well compared to the first... so lets just be happy about that.

At a certain point it's about game design rather than reviewer ethics. Time lock a bit of your game for several days/weeks for no reason? Okay. Why? Is there any gameplay or story justification? No? Fine, just built it into a normal level. Otherwise what are you doing? Encouraging people to subscribe to your game's addiction loop? OK.

Besides, why should any reviewer care? People are paying for the game NOW.

Great job with the OP btw

Im not grabbing the game til november with my xbox one x, how much grinding is it gonna take for me to at least be ready to do the first raid with my friends who by that point will have been playing for nearly two months?

Strakt

At a certain point it's about game design rather than reviewer ethics. Time lock a bit of your game for several days/weeks for no reason? Okay. Why? Is there any gameplay or story justification? No? Fine, just built it into a level.

Besides, why should any reviewer care? People are paying for the game NOW.

Great job with the OP btw

Well they time locked the raid and trial because they wanted to give people at least a week to reach the gear level. If they unlocked it right away, the hardcore people would rush to that gear level and spoilers would be everywhere for the raid. It's better to give people a weeks notice so they have enough time to beat the campaign and gear up. Either way, its up to reviewer on which content they want to review. A majority of them waited until the raid came out which was a good idea.

SomTervo

Well they time locked the raid and trial because they wanted to give people at least a week to reach the gear level. If they unlocked it right away, the hardcore people would rush to that gear level and spoilers would be everywhere for the raid. It's better to give people a weeks notice so they have enough time to beat the campaign and gear up. Either way, its up to reviewer on which content they want to review. A majority of them waited until the raid came out which was a good idea.

The same goes for literally every game. A minority will always rush to the end and spoil shit. A week's delay/catch up will barely make a difference to most players.

I see bungie repeatedly using a grinding structure to justify their game design decisions.

It's probably Activision's fault.

Ach well.

Strakt

The same goes for literally every game. A minority will always rush to the end and spoil shit. A week's delay/catch up will barely make a difference to most players.

I see bungie repeatedly using a grinding structure to justify their game design decisions.

It's probably Activision's fault.

Ach well.

Nah I dont think so. While Destiny isn't an MMO, it has MMO elements to it such as raids, dungeons, etc... Every MMO that introduces raids locks the raid out until a certain time. WoW for example doesn't open raids until 2-3 weeks after an expansion launches so players can catch up in levels and gear levels. Destiny is doing pretty much the same thing.

SomTervo

Nah I dont think so. While Destiny isn't an MMO, it has MMO elements to it such as raids, dungeons, etc... Every MMO that introduces raids locks the raid out until a certain time. WoW for example doesn't open raids until 2-3 weeks after an expansion launches so players can catch up in levels and gear levels. Destiny is doing pretty much the same thing.

I just don't understand MMO or endless grinding philosophy. Let's agree to disagree/agree to unempathise.

HoJu

Don't like online multiplayer but the setting and good controls are making me tempted to get this...

It probably has the most satisfying shooting in a shooter I've ever played. PVP is a bust, but the single player is worth it and has enough content to last for a while. Only thing is that it's easy to get burnt out of PVE, especially when you've been fighting the same enemies again and again.

Strakt

September 17 reviews from Metacritic:

GamesBeat Sep 17, 2017

If you avoided the original Destiny because of its launch issues have no such fears with Destiny 2. And if you're just curious about Destiny 2 and want to play casually you can find plenty of quick, satisfying things to do while enjoying some of the best art, sound design, music scoring, and shooting mechanics in the video game industry.

Wccftech Sep 17, 2017

Destiny 2 offers more loot, more locales to explore, and most importantly, more story to play through. Whether playing solo or in a fireteam, this is Destiny at its absolute best.

Vandal Sep 17, 2017

Destiny 2 polishes all the rough edges of the original to create an amazing and addictive sequel that only lacks innovation.

Gamer.nl Sep 17, 2017

The strong concept of Destiny is finally really getting some meat on its bones. Destiny 2 offers beautiful environments, an effective but light story and detailed co-op action gameplay.

RPG Site Sep 17, 2017

Destiny 2 isn't perfect, and I hesitate to recommend it for solo players, but for anyone that hopes to play in a group - there really is nothing else like it. I can't say if there's enough new here to draw returning players to the game, but Bungie has done nothing if not craft one of the most beautiful engaging co-op experiences of 2017.

Top Bottom